Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dare I? (with zombie science)  (Read 4414 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Dare I? (with zombie science)
« on: March 10, 2012, 04:47:41 pm »

I've been doing a little !SCIENCE! with zombies.  I'm in an area that's partly evil and raises the dead.  My fort is mostly on the non-evil side, but I've dug a tunnel into the evil zone where I've been dumping corpses.  And live goblins.  To see how long it takes for them to reanimate.  Then I've been sending soldiers in to chop them up in an attempt to see under what conditions a zombie is finally considered "dead" and refuses to reanimate anymore.  (So far inconclusive.)

I also have a wereape skeleton.  Which I dumped into the arena along with all the (by now) zombie goblins.  I have yet to see if it will reanimate and then turn into a full-fledged wereape again at the next full moon.  I hope so, because that would be fantastic.

However, I also have a Roc skeleton.  After I determine whether or not skeletons can reanimate, I'm considering chucking the Roc skeleton down the pit into the reanimation center.  I'm assuming it will be able to fly and likely fly back up the pit into the main fortress.  I'm tempted to do it anyway even though it would almost certainly cause quite a bit of chaos.  Then again, what's not to like about a little chaos.

edit: My wereape skeleton has reanimated.  It is now an undead wereape skeleton.  Now, time to see if it completely heals when it turns back into a wereape!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 05:10:59 pm by ledgekindred »
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dare I? (with zombie science)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 05:33:49 pm »

Do you mean when the wereape turns back into a human? I dont think it will turn back into a human if its a skeleton

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 06:02:47 pm »

It's hard to say wereape without also saying 'where rape!'

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 06:24:41 pm »

I advise you to be thuper-careful with that there roc. Undead critters can still fly and it's still a friggin' roc. And as far as I know, things will keep on respawning untill they leave the evil lands.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 07:03:33 pm »

Do you mean when the wereape turns back into a human? I dont think it will turn back into a human if its a skeleton
It does turn back :D (undead version though)

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 08:57:00 pm »

From some forts I have run, I can assure you that zombies will keep getting back up. I had 4-5 zombies get stuck on top a 10 serrated disk trap. Every time they stood back up(every 5-15 days, average res time of about 8 days) they would immediately get sliced(it was crap blades so no actual cutting, it was all impact damage) back down. This went on for 2 years. Until body parts can be pulverized to goop I don't think it will be possible to finish off zombies without magmaing their corpse after they go down or using atom smashers.

Also, on the were critter, every full moon it will turn into a full were, no corpse anything, and attack the other zombies. The zombies can actually be infected with wereness so eventually all the zombie will be converted. They also do seem to heal from that, I actually had were-elephants and after the full moon I would have zombies with scars from healing. I wasn't watching too close so I don't know how fast they healed or at what point, but they were healing.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 08:58:01 pm »

In my experience, you can kill zombies to the point where every time they res, they immediately fall back down and die. So yeah, the solution to killing zombies is killing zombies.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 11:07:10 pm »

From some forts I have run, I can assure you that zombies will keep getting back up. I had 4-5 zombies get stuck on top a 10 serrated disk trap. Every time they stood back up(every 5-15 days, average res time of about 8 days) they would immediately get sliced(it was crap blades so no actual cutting, it was all impact damage) back down. This went on for 2 years. Until body parts can be pulverized to goop I don't think it will be possible to finish off zombies without magmaing their corpse after they go down or using atom smashers.

Also, on the were critter, every full moon it will turn into a full were, no corpse anything, and attack the other zombies. The zombies can actually be infected with wereness so eventually all the zombie will be converted. They also do seem to heal from that, I actually had were-elephants and after the full moon I would have zombies with scars from healing. I wasn't watching too close so I don't know how fast they healed or at what point, but they were healing.

Were elephants oh lord

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 12:13:43 am »

I want you to reanimate the roc.  I assume you have a good double-walled vacuum lock on your reanimation chamber?  So you should (hehe) be able to do it safely.

I just want to see about megabeasts, FBs, etc.  But I'm on a reanimating biome now myself, so if you don't find out, I'll just wait until I have a chance to test.  (Would be a hell of a lot easier if I could find a single tile of ore someplace....)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 12:25:47 am »

I think they heal from the transformation? That is, when they demorph, they demorph into a perfectly healed form.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 01:16:13 am »

According to the raws biome specific reanimation takes a week, I modded mine to a month because it was a bit much for my starting 7 to deal with.
Even then it's still a handful when you're trying to dump the corpses and a single reanimated one will scare your haulers away, i also experimented with artificial floors over the evil terrain but i think the corpse still reanimated, next i'll try elevated artificial flooring and see if it makes a difference..
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 01:27:26 am »

Forgotten beasts can definitely be raised, IIRC. I've had at least one issue with those.

I don't think artificial flooring of ANY kind will help, either. It seems that the reanimation effect affects all z-levels, based on my experience. There might be a way around it, but I get the feeling that our options in the current version are magma, atom-smashing, or hauling the corpses to a non-evil area.

However, dumping the corpses in a pit is at least somewhat effective, possibly with the aid of a retracting drawbridge so your haulers don't get scared by what's already in the pit.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 01:31:25 am »

My pits never work since they're not deep enough and the haulers get scared before droppig anything in the hole, a workaround might be to scare them when standing on a bridge, they drop the corpse on the bridge then i can open it to be dumped in the hole... or maybe dig the hole deep eough that everything inside is invisable? ... uh, ok i just realised how to do it, you put the bridge 1 level below the hole, so stuff will be dumped onto it, you pull the level to flush it down ....
Another solution might be wanted, what i need is a priest that can make consecrated ground that the dead won't rise in... I must do science to see if theres something dead won't respawn on...
EDIT: I suppose i could atomsmash em..
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:37:17 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 01:35:03 am »

In my experience, you can kill zombies to the point where every time they res, they immediately fall back down and die. So yeah, the solution to killing zombies is killing zombies.
What was it that killed them? Bleeding? Cus thats fixed.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 01:37:17 am »

uh, ok i just realised how to do it, you put the bridge 1 level below the hole, so stuff will be dumped onto it, you pull the level to flush it down

Yup.

Level 1: retracting bridge (not raising, unless you're going for atom-smashing), and lever. Ideally with a door separating the two.
Level below that: hole.

Put corpse(s) on bridge, close and lock door, pull lever. When bridge retracts, pull lever again, in order to seal pit, and prepare for future dumping. If fliers come out of hole, station military outside of door before unlocking.
Pages: [1] 2