Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Demons, books, and spheres (worldgen interactions research)  (Read 8059 times)

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Demons, books, and spheres (worldgen interactions research)
« on: March 10, 2012, 10:54:36 pm »

I've been playing around with secrets and books a lot recently.  I've noticed (and yeah, this isn't a huge revelation) that whenever I see a book written by a demon, that demon is impersonating a human god. Moreover, if the demon has a sphere associated with a secret (and the secret is recordable), the demon may, upon occasion, write books about that secret. For instance, a demon of death might write about necromancy:

It's a pretty rare occurrence. Demons don't take over human civilizations very often, and even when they do they don't always write books, and even when they do they might not have the spheres to take advantage of it. 

There seems to be a hidden variable that determines whether demons write books or not. At first I thought that it was just a matter of having a secret to write about, but then I started seeing demons without secrets writing books, and demons with secrets not writing.  The only lead I have is that every time I've seen a demon with the WRITING sphere in charge of a civilization, that demon has been a prolific writer. Can anybody confirm this, or offer a counterexample?

Another observation: Demons that take over civilizations can only do so by impersonating a god that shares one of their spheres.  Supposedly it's the POWER token that permits creatures to take over civilizations (not UNIQUE_DEMON).  In theory, that should make it possible to create non-demon creatures capable of taking over civilizations and writing books of their own.  Even better, by giving the entity in question RELIGION_SPHERE:<some sphere associated with a secret>, you're guaranteed to get at least one deity with that sphere.

If we combine those two concepts, making a creature with both POWER and a bunch of appropriate spheres, it should happen relatively often that that creature takes over a civilization and writes books. The result? Piles of books, everywhere, on a variety of interesting topics.  Because seriously, it's weird that most books are written in towers off in the middle of nowhere, instead of big cities.

That said, I haven't been able to get all that to work.  I also tried adding [POWER] and [SPHERE:WRITING] to the humans' raws, on the off chance that it would get their leaders to start writing books; that hasn't borne fruit either.

But I haven't explored this in much detail yet. I'm probably doing something wrong.

Maybe you can do better?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:54:41 pm by Igfig »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Demons, books, and spheres
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 11:28:56 pm »

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 01:23:36 am »

demons can also learn and/or be gifted with secrets oddly enough. I had assumed you needed to be mortal, but I have a demon necromancer in my current game, who is the lawgiver of a goblin civilisation.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 01:32:38 am »

Really Hugo?

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 04:38:12 am »

This is an interesting topic that begs the question: when will Toady expand book writing to non-leader types?  Booksellers, book keepers, etc.  It would be neat if your book keeper in your fortress would actually keep ledgers of fortress trading and yearly stockpiles.  Your fortress leaders could keep journals of notable events and diplomacy or attacks.  Everyone in your fortress should be writing all the time, so should people living in cities, and bandits hiding out in the hills.  Bronze Colossi should be keeping track of how bored and lonely they are in their caves and minotaurs should be keeping a diary of the children they've eaten and how to get out of their mazes.  But not everyone should be a writer, of course.  It should be associated with someone's skills or attributes and if they qualify for understanding the concept, then that's the first step.
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 11:54:01 am »

Really Hugo?
I sorry, but when I read
Demons don't take over human civilizations very often, and even when they do they don't always write books, and even when they do they might not have the spheres to take advantage of it.
I just had to :P

But this concept of making custom demons that could write books about our custom secrets is very interesting.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 02:37:59 pm »

I think this is a good discovery, someone else had a hydra create a slab.  I've been trying to use syndromes to create writer's.  Some ideas are that they be inspired by muses using an interaction on them, or drinking the blood of bards makes vampires write diaries.(no one else drinks blood in worldgen so far, but yeah the diary is a pun.)

Your discovery opens more possibilities, since you can create a noble position that can only be filled with your custom writing creature.  Maybe they'll write books then.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:14:43 am »

writing does not have to be a sphere for the clown, nor the deity it is impersonating.

osman the lone lies is a human goddess, and her only sphere is treachery.

guslo is a demon that became the lawgiver of a human civ.  a couple of years after this evcent, guslo starts churning out books.  guslo's spheres are trickery, treachery, lies, and fate.

guslo wrote a book called "hell, in the time of my ancestors"

good trick there, guslo.

Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 05:12:22 pm »

A hydra creating a slab? That would be perfect.  Is this the guy you were thinking of, Arloban? I've messaged him to find out how he got that to happen; more news to come.

Edit: He didn't do anything special. A human just happened to worship a hydra, and the hydra gave him a secret.

I guess the big question now becomes: how do we get people to worship megabeasts again? It used to happen all the time back in 40d, but I can't recall ever seeing it happen in recent versions.

Thanks RAKninja, I guess it's more complicated than I thought.  ...Then again, has anybody seen a demon with the WRITING sphere that didn't write books? There might still be a connection there, albeit of a different sort.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 10:56:57 pm »

Yes that's the one, Worship of a dragon is actually the main religion of the human civ in my latest world.  However he hasn't given out any secrets.  I'll try regening the world with dragons given the writing sphere.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 05:08:32 pm »

If I were you, I'd use the DEATH sphere; there aren't any WRITING secrets in vanilla.

Also, would you mind posting the worldgen parameters for that world (including the history, name, and creature seeds)? It'd be nice to have a world with a guaranteed megabeast religion.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 07:57:31 pm »

If I were you, I'd use the DEATH sphere; there aren't any WRITING secrets in vanilla.

Also, would you mind posting the worldgen parameters for that world (including the history, name, and creature seeds)? It'd be nice to have a world with a guaranteed megabeast religion.
This is the worldgen for it, I've been generating it with custom interactions and werebeasts.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Werebeasts live in towns, I suppose they took them over due to the huge amount of them, and that they get along fine until the full moon and then any citizen who doesn't turn gets slaughtered.  A demon is impersonating a human god of evil, but a dragon has more worshippers than him.
EDIT: changed the worldgen from the init file, which had been altered to the actual worldgen files worldgen.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:00:29 pm by Courtesy Arloban »

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 01:12:12 pm »

I did some more research on this recently and got some interesting results. I gave all the megabeasts INTELLIGENT, POWER, and SPHERE:WAR (after creating a WAR test secret), and they started impersonating deities, taking over civilizations, and writing books, just like demons. No slabs, unfortunately, since they were just impersonating deities and not being worshipped on their own merits.

On the other hand, I did see a hydra profane a temple and get turned into a werecivet.

Then, as an experiment, I tried doing the same thing to trolls, which don't have any MEGA tags at all. They started taking over civilizations too!  They didn't write books about secrets until I added the SUPERNATURAL tag, though; I guess that's what SUPERNATURAL_LEARNING_POSSIBLE looks for.

Finally, I tried doing the same thing to regular humans. Here, I did not meet with success. I never saw any humans impersonating deities, or writing books. Removing MUNDANE and adding DIFFICULTY did nothing. I tried adding the SEMIMEGABEAST and LAIR tokens to humans; that did nothing either. No lairing, no rampages.  Also tried some variants with extra castes having different combinations of tags, but that didn't work either.

It would appear that there's something about being a civilized creature that makes POWER and the like not work correctly, and I'm not sure what it is.

Next up: making secret interactions available via curse, and having curse interactions that grant an animation ability, to see what exactly causes tower-building and teaching.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 03:40:30 pm »

Some more research.

I created a new secret, gave all the megabeasts the secret's sphere, and generated a pocket world with a long history, lots of megabeasts, and no other secrets.

AND I GOT MEGABEAST SLABS!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It appears that once a megabeast is worshipped, it will inevitably create a slab for any secrets that belong to its spheres, provided it lives long enough. Slabs take a while to make, so worldgen might end or the megabeast might die before it can make a slab.

Megabeast worship is actually pretty straightforward. If a site is attacked by a megabeast often enough (about three times, and there may be a time limit of a century or two?), people at that site will start worshipping it. The megabeast's spheres and how many people they kill don't seem to matter. The reason why many people don't see megabeast worship occurring very often is that they tend to use worlds that are too big. The problem is that the bigger the world, the more sites there are; the more sites a megabeast has to choose from, the less likely it is to choose the same one three times.

There's no efficient solution to this, as far as I can tell. If you want megabeast worship in a large world, your best bet is to reduce the number of sites available and increase the number of megabeasts. Generating a longer history could also work in theory—the longer your history, the greater the chance of a megabeast hitting the same place enough times by pure chance—but in practice, most megabeasts are killed within a few centuries anyway. If you have extra-tough custom megabeasts, however, a longer history could work for you.

Incidentally: Regular megabeasts will travel all over the world to attack sites, but it looks like titans stay in the region they settle in--mountain titans stick to a single mountain range, for instance. This might explain why I see titans being worshipped more often than other megabeasts: they have fewer sites to choose from. With that in mind, your best bet for new secrets might be ones belonging to the nature-based spheres favoured by titans.

Also note that megabeasts that take over civilizations won't make slabs, since they won't have time for rampaging while they're ruling a civilization. They'll still write books about secrets if they have INTELLIGENT and SUPERNATURAL, though.

Oh, and from what I've seen, megabeasts won't attack civilizations ruled by other megabeasts. Professional courtesy, I guess. No rampages means no worship, means no slabs. Luckily they don't have this problem if the rulers are semimegas or regular creatures.

One more thing: Megabeasts that take over civilizations (any creatures, really) have a much lower life expectancy than ones who stay in the wild. Wars are dangerous.

The NO_AGING tag, it turns out, carries an enormous amount of weight. A lot of the things that night creatures do in worldgen are derived solely from this one token.

Creatures with NO_AGING:

Don't age, duh.

Can arouse suspicion for appearing not to age. Their response depends on a few factors:
  • If they're the ruler (monarch, law-giver, etc) of their civilization, they impose a series of oppressive edicts upon the population, lifting them some time later.
  • If they have a cult (see below), they'll challenge the ruler of their civilization. The winner becomes the new ruler, and the loser flees.
  • If neither is the case, they'll flee to a different site. This is usually a town or hamlet, but sometimes (if they've already been kicked out of every town in their civ, perhaps?) they'll hole up in the sewers or a lair.
(Note that regular people never do the challenge thing, only unaging ones. Well, that's not quite true. NPC adventurers from enemy civs will occasionally confront unaging and megabeast rulers. I don't know if they go after ordinary rulers too, or just monstrous ones.)

Can start cults. I don't think cult worship is really worship, since I've never seen a named character join a cult or a cult leader create a slab. Cults are probably closer to bandit groups than actual religions. On the other hand, I've also never seen a megabeast ruler start a cult after suffering a 'curse' of unaging. It's possible that this is because they already have worshippers of a sort, through the deity they're impersonating.

Are potentially night creatures! I mentioned earlier that the unaging can sometimes end up in a sewer or a lair; once this happens, they count as night creatures and will go on rampages! As far as I know, this is the only way to get a hostile night creature to live in the sewers. (That said, I still have a lot of research to do on transformation syndromes.) Note that the unaging will lose their cultists if they go this route.

(I'm not certain, but I think subterranean animal people (the kind who live naturally in sewers) are more prone to becoming night creatures this way than regular civilized folk. Perhaps because they aren't really part of their civilizations, so they don't have any towns they can flee to?)

Rampages are kinda interesting. Any night creature (besides bogeymen), mega- or semi-megabeast, or creature with LARGE_PREDATOR is capable of rampaging. (EDIT: Unless they're civilized creatures, in which case only being a night creature will do it.) A basic rampage involves attacking a bunch of people at a site.

If the creature has CARNIVORE, it'll also devour animals and people.

If it has a CURIOUSBEAST_ tag, it'll often steal things instead of attacking.

There may be other tags that affect rampages... I'll let you know if I discover more.

Right, I said I would talk about secrets and curses. Pretty simple, really: they're completely identical except in how they're acquired. A curse with an animate effect will let you build towers just like a necromancer, but you won't be able to take on apprentices or write about it. An interaction that's both a curse and a secret can be acquired either way, and passed on however you like.

A side note: While looking through the string dump, I found an interesting string: "became obsessed with an inscrutable goal". This looks like some kind of default secret goal, but removing the IS_SECRET_GOAL token from an interaction just made the secret not show up. An IS_SECRET_GOAL value of NONE gave an error. Anybody have any idea how I could get that phrase to show up? It's a lot more useful than "became obsessed with his own mortality and sought to extend his life by any means".

That's all for now, but there's more to come. Next, I intend to explore animation and transformation interactions, as well as syndrome transmission via attack and body materials.

Also, if you haven't already, you should check out Spiderking50's Rise of the False Gods, which will be using a lot of the techniques discovered in this thread.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:45:10 am by Igfig »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demons, books, and spheres (worldgen interactions research)
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 03:58:21 pm »

Holy mother of !!Science!!, that's quite a bit of research. No doubt that it will be useful to modders.
Pages: [1] 2