Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: «JOLLY BASTION 34.10v5» happy graphics pack (true-to-ascii, warm colours)  (Read 163906 times)

I'd like to add that because of this pack, a friend of mine has begun playing the game a lot more. It's really clear and colorful, which helps determine what everything is without needing to K everything.

AlexanderOcias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Alex, I just watched your show reel.  Very impressive work.  And then I realized you made "Loved!"  I loved Loved!  Keep up the great work; you've got some real talent.

Just wanted to post my appreciation for this pack. I don't know why more tilesets don't properly make the distinction between background tiles and 'important' tiles. It makes everything much easier to see, which in a game as complex as this, is no small boon!

Thank you for it! :)

I'd like to add that because of this pack, a friend of mine has begun playing the game a lot more. It's really clear and colorful, which helps determine what everything is without needing to K everything.

Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate it. :D

Hearing about people understanding DF and getting into it more really makes this all worthwhile!

AlexanderOcias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Updated for 34.10.

Same as 34.09, but I figured you guys would like to know that I've checked it. :P

Would someone care to explain the Pinky Pie E->W Minecart Roller place-holder graphics? -.-

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This set is great!

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

World Gen looks awesome with this pack! Its great!

AlexanderOcias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Would someone care to explain the Pinky Pie E->W Minecart Roller place-holder graphics? -.-

Means you're on an outdated version, make sure you're using v5.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait, pinky pie? Now I'm curious. Probably not what it sounds like, but ASCII pinkamena would be great.

Thanks for the work! The tileset is beautiful!

AlexanderOcias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Wait, pinky pie? Now I'm curious. Probably not what it sounds like, but ASCII pinkamena would be great.

Thanks for the work! The tileset is beautiful!

There are a couple of weird things I put on the unused tiles in 9x12 v4...

And you're welcome! :D

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile

i love the pack, it makes vanilla great looking, my only complaint is that mined stone looks like specks on the ground, i have to use K alot to see if i can build certain places without suspension. anyways, i love the pack, but mined stone could be better.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile

i love the pack, it makes vanilla great looking, my only complaint is that mined stone looks like specks on the ground, i have to use K alot to see if i can build certain places without suspension. anyways, i love the pack, but mined stone could be better.

Yeah I would say I agree with this, any time I'm using your set I always edit in some like 7x7 pebble or such instead of the dust that is really hard to see.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile

This is amazing, definitely going to give it a try. Thanks for putting it together!

Octopod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like this tileset, but may I offer a suggestion?
Due to the higher screen density of this monitor, this tileset looks extremely small while playing fullscreen. So, if possible, could you make a scaled up version of it?

The way the game upscales it bugs me.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 10:14:06 pm by Octopod »

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just wanted to say thank you for this tileset. I absolutely love the tiles and the colours. Just seeing it has got me back into dwarf fortress!
Keep up the good work! :)

Muddy Mudstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OK, I made a version using a font I made ages ago.

It's a very boring font, which is good for people who don't want much of their playing experience to consist of admiring the font.

I gave it the same outline effect as the previous font. I tried to make the silhouettes (when the light parts are darkened to the same shade as the dark outline) still legible, so that for instance the depth numbers for underground, and the letters in the "Dwarf Fortress" title, are legible. I thought about which characters have dual use and tried to make them look like both things, so that for instance accented 'o's look a bit like levers without looking completely unlike letters, but the prepared meal / spray from pump is no longer a percent sign, since there are no percentages in the game, and the cave lobster isn't a yen sign, and so on. Drawing a picture of an ambiguous wheelbarrow or necklace in 12x12 pixels was too hard for me. I didn't bother with the bottom line of text, either, because none of those characters are used as text and I'd got bored by that point.

I also changed a bunch of other stuff, probably for the worse, like nestboxes and beds and metal and trees. I restored the dot which means "floor tile", since it's also used as a dot in various bits of text (not least ".: single step".)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10