Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: a dwarf dies of old age?  (Read 9930 times)

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a dwarf dies of old age?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 02:12:01 pm »

It's mostly animals that I see die of old age.  However back in 40d, I did have a long lived fortress (20+ years) that eventually got it's king to migrate.  Some of the early migrants did die of old age.  The message was pretty much the same as a random dog dying of old age.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

IpunchFaces

• Bay Watcher
  • "Incessant cackling surrounds you"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 07:58:34 am »

Would be pretty hilarious if one of your Military Dwarves died in the middle of a huge battle.

"Alright men, as soon as I say 'three' we charge. One, two, thr-HNGGGGG MY HEART"

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 10:15:41 am »

Plenty of them, and their animals too, and a few generations of animals I forget to butchers. Even wild animals. Granted it was on an long-running experiment in a world with destroyed dwarf civ, so it did took LONG time, something like fifty years at least!

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 12:42:26 pm »

In earlier versions of the game my  liaisons were very prone to dieing of old age either as soon as they got on the map or just before they left the map. Sometimes I couldnt help but wonder if they did it just to give me the middle finger.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 01:03:28 pm »

In an earlier version of the game I made an adventurer, and before I could ask the leader of that town for a quest, he died of old age. So I genocided the town :D

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 01:47:54 pm »

Sorry for necroing but I can confirm this in DF2012, just had a dwarf die of old age after living in the fortress for a good few years. I imagine the new historical figures/immigration rewrite will be making this A LOT more common, due to the occasional elderly immigrant. Coincidentally, I also had a duck die of old age at the exact same time, I'm guessing it just checks for age-deaths once per season?

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 09:20:22 pm »

Heh... some of my favorite (funniest) bugs relate to dying of old age:

440: Humans die of old age after end of world gen; corpses lay around town

972: Diplomat/liaison arrives, immediately dies of old age (and other old age issues)

4405: Ghosts can die of old age and dwarves who die of old age evidently cannot become ghosts.

4422: Historical Undeads can die of old age

All of those are listed as open bugs too.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
Pages: 1 [2]