Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Kobold Invaders Exist  (Read 3304 times)

mill1223

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kobold Invaders Exist
« on: March 11, 2012, 11:21:34 pm »

Just letting the fans know.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Invaders Exist
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 01:29:12 am »

The heck do you mean? Kobolds have always sent ambushes and theives! Are you talking about sieges? Because that really would be unusual.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

mill1223

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 01:33:28 am »

Ambush is news to me.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 01:36:53 am »

Been that way for a while, yeah. They only send ambushes if you let them steal enough stuff, though. So if you've been successfully repelling thieves until now, no surprise that you haven't seen it before.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 03:00:27 am »

So I should make a stockpile of junk outside to get more FUN?

Do they steal anything or should it be something specific?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 03:25:23 am »

So if i set an unguarded stockpile and fill it with a couple of bins of crafts for them to steal i will get ambushes?Will this also make goblins stronger?

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 04:00:30 am »

The other day somebody mentioned that he hauls "useless" artifacts like crafts to the edge of his map so they get stolen by kobolds and increase the chance of bigger kobold ambushes. I didnīt try that myself yet but it sounds reasonable.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 05:32:33 am »

I've had a kobold ambush before.

They're abysmally weak, only marginally stronger than meleeing elves. Back when I was a newb I had a kobold ambush outnumber my noobling militia 1.5:1 and the nooblings fought off the kobolds with one casualty. This being 31.08 before I knew how to train people in the military.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 05:42:33 am »

I've heard they are the only civ other than dwarves which can use steel, though. Which could be nasty depending on what sort of equipment they bring.

Do kobold ambushers wear armour/use weapons like a proper goblin siege? Or is it just a dagger and nothing else, like the thieves?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 05:48:25 am »

I believe they come wielding their chosen weapon, and a small copper breastplate, with their loincloth. I'm not certain though, don't quote me on this- i'm basing it on memory alone.

Their bowman were pretty nasty in early DF2010, and with the recent bow buff they're even more deadly. I'd tread carefully if their ambush is mainly bowman, but meleeing Kobolds are surprisingly weak.

You could probably benefit from capturing them, by having a series of animal powered watchtowers with traps all around them. OPERATION SAVE THE KOBOLDS IS NOW USELESS BUT IS STILL A GO!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 07:54:51 am »

Pretty damn sure they can use steel.

And this is very old news, i think it was here since the beginning of the game.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:56:43 am by Naryar »

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 11:19:59 am »

Yes, this has technically been around for a long time, but for most of 0.31.x, kobolds were very rare, as they had a tendency to starve to death during world gen. 40d had kobolds much the same as .034 but if you've not played that long you're not likely to know that.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 11:28:10 am »

That's the main issue.  Kobolds have always sent proper armies if given enough loot, it's just that for the past year vanilla kobolds didn't exist so no one had a lot of experience with them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 02:28:31 pm »

Pretty much the only people who did have experience with them, were the ones religiously adding [NO_EAT][NO_DRINK] to Kobolds :3

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 02:33:56 pm »

Kobolds 'use' steel because the game handwaves that they must have stolen it somehow. They're a scavenger race, any civ their 'home cave' is situated near enough to handwave as 'within scavenge distance', they'll have access to equipment from that race. I once modded in gold and platinum ammunition, thinking I was safe as I removed bows and crossbows from goblins and other races. Kobold archers came with highly expensive and dense arrows to kill my adventurer.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: [1] 2