Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 42.x stuff with an old save  (Read 1863 times)

Janbure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
42.x stuff with an old save
« on: May 03, 2016, 04:08:26 am »

I would really love to mess with the new instruments/books/taverns thingy but I have this world with a history I'm really attached to.
Is there a way to mess with the raws and unlock the new industry? I can designate location but musical instruments, books and books apparatus are locked, no workshop can build it, i suppose it's because they are created during world generation.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 42.x stuff with an old save
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 04:18:55 am »

Instruments are definitely out of reach. They're generated during world gen, and since yours was done before 0.42.X, none were generated. In theory it ought to be possible to locate and update workshop raws to allow the new reactions, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it, and there's probably a significant risk of corruption when trying.
Songs, dances, poems, and books continue to be generated during the game play, so in theory the first ones in the world could be created in your fortress (books obviously would require the corresponding reactions to be present to allow you to get something to write on).

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 06:25:29 am »

How old are we talking here? If it's before DF2014, I'm pretty sure they're completely incompatible.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Janbure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 06:37:06 am »

The save it's from 40.24

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 04:59:52 pm »

From what I've heard, you can't make books in an updated save.  The reactions for the workshops are missing.  Similarly, your world won't have any artistic forms.  I don't know how long it will take for some to start popping up and make their way to your new fort.  It could be years, or decades.  The good news is that world activation continues during game play in 42.XX, so you can be playing forts while the rest of the world tries to come up with art styles.  You are likely SoL on instruments as well. 

Honestly, I'd just start a new world.  Too much is going to be missing or need jury-rigged work-arounds.  I'm not 100% sure how visitors are going to work, too.  Most of them are performers afterall.  Oi, and you also get the ability to select materials for jobs (independent of DFHack, which is still buggy AFAIK) and control how engravings and statues come out.

n4m3l3ss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 08:56:41 am »

I have the same complaint - nice fortress in 40.24, but I cannot get even half of the good stuff of the latest version if I transfer the save.
Also, I've never gotten any mercenaries join that old fort of mine.