Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven Suicide  (Read 11800 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Suicide
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 12:39:30 pm »

As for dwarfs being suicidal in their regular every day activity, why shouldn't they be?  If they hate themselves any where near as much as I hate them, it makes a lot of sense.
Sig'd

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 01:03:06 pm »

Try this design
wwww
wb bw
wb bw
wwww
       r
l

where
w=wall
b=bridge
r=ramp
and l=lever

The bolded section of wall is where the dump zone should be designated, then dwarves will toss smashy stuff down into the inaccessible bridge smasher.  Make sure to complete the wiring process before you complete the wall, or it will be a mix of that scene in the trash compactor in Star wars wrapped around a cask of Amontillado
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

nomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 02:14:24 pm »

actually i think this makes sense, you cannot rely on your dwarves having as much knowledge as you,
usually it will be something like uristmcarchitect builds a bridge in a infrequently travelled part of the fort,
uristmcmechanis builds a lever somewhere, uristmcothermechanic connects the lever to the bridge,
uristmcurist x10 carries designated stuff there and urist mcunluckypeon gues to pull a random lever somewhere
because someone told him to and then goes of to do other things, not one of these dwarves knows about the whole or why they are doing this,
they do it because a voice in their head gives them a compulsion to move that goblin left foot third toe over there.

it's not like they have a hivemind and everyone knows what any one individual sees, to assume that would be just silly ;-)
RARRR... I'm a big bad Falcon Demon named Murray who doesn't know what a Legendary Miner is. I'm a MONSTAAA! RARRRR! Oh, oh, pick in my brain. Down I go.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 02:24:10 pm »

yeah, you can really blame the dwarf for this one.  :o

Overseer health and safety #101, it's always the Dwarf's fault if it dies.

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 02:37:24 pm »

I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 03:32:07 pm »

Do dwarfs still commit suicide and jump off bridges and such when melancholy?  It hasn't happened in one of my forts since 40d I think.  I really miss it.

I've had enough melancholy dwarves end up in the cistern that serves my main well that I'm pretty sure they try to find the most inconvenient way to commit suicide their little minds can think of.

I've gotten to the point where I just expect I'll end up with a dead dwarf in the cistern at some point and build it so that I can easily drain it for cleanout. This is in addition to building it with ramps/stairs out so non-suicidal dwarves who fall in can climb out, because I also know I'll end up with dwarves falling in on accident as well.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 04:08:35 pm »

Do dwarfs still commit suicide and jump off bridges and such when melancholy?  It hasn't happened in one of my forts since 40d I think.  I really miss it.

I've had enough melancholy dwarves end up in the cistern that serves my main well that I'm pretty sure they try to find the most inconvenient way to commit suicide their little minds can think of.

I've gotten to the point where I just expect I'll end up with a dead dwarf in the cistern at some point and build it so that I can easily drain it for cleanout. This is in addition to building it with ramps/stairs out so non-suicidal dwarves who fall in can climb out, because I also know I'll end up with dwarves falling in on accident as well.

Isn't this precisely what slabs are for? Drain the cistern? What a pain in the ass.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.
Pages: 1 [2]