Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Tragedy of Tightropeherds: A Highfantasy Mod Saga  (Read 2264 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
The Tragedy of Tightropeherds: A Highfantasy Mod Saga
« on: September 22, 2021, 06:25:27 pm »

Just started a new dwarven fort, "Tightropeherds", in a 1050-year-old world generated with kiiranaux's Highfantasy Mod pack, and decided I wanted to try my hand at documenting its history in story format as it plays out. Expect sporadic posts varying in their length and level of detail, since I'm busy in my personal life right now, but I'll try to stay as committed as I can.
NOTE: This is not a community fort nor do I have any plans to make it one, it's just my own emergent story that I don't feel like flooding the fort discussion thread with. Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leader's Log 1, Spring 1050, Year 1 of Tightropeherds:

To Her Majesty Ifik:
It is I, the leader of "The Salty Coils" expedition, writing to report that the initial journey to the embark site was a success. Well, all things considered. We lost one of our shoveldon pair (the poor beast collapsed in a sudden blizzard just a day or two out of the Mountain Halls) and we had a great deal of difficulty getting her mate to continue onward without her. At least all seven of us dwarves arrived here in one piece, so it could've been a great deal worse. In any case, it's been unanimously decided that this hill is where we will begin to delve Tightropeherds, for your glory and the glory of all Star-Sapphirite dwarves!

Given your vague directions I'm still not quite sure why you ordered us to colonize this place, but I trust in your wisdom, so we'll try to get it in as good a shape as we're able before the onset of Winter. Our group, aside from myself, consists of two miners, a carpenter, a stoneworker, a jeweler, and a fisherdwarf, who will hopefully provide enough work to sustain us until our first migrant wave. Food and drink supplies should be enough to get us through our first few seasons, if we ration them properly. If worst comes to worst we can butcher some of our livestock.

Being a dwarf who tries to count his blessings, I should note that at least our surroundings don't appear too hostile. If I were one of the tree-huggers I might even call these wooded hills rather pleasant, though a few drakes have been spotted lurking in the surrounding rivers that I've told Omshet (our fisherdwarf) to be wary of. In any case, he's to suspend all fishing until we have a basic meeting hall carved out, so hopefully the drakes will have cleared out by then.
Expect another report from me before the end of Summer, if you don't receive it then know that I and my expedition team have met a horrible fate.
Your Loyal Subject, Dalek "Sequentialstair" Otigostcunorushat

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glossary of non-vanilla elements:
Shoveldon: A stocky elephantoid native to the deep caverns with four spade-like tusks, utilized by dwarves as a beast of burden.
Drake: = Scaled Drake, an alligator-like draconic creature capable of breathing magical fire and possessing the strength to maul most humanoids.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 09:41:55 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: The Tragedy of Tightropeherds: A Highfantasy Mod Saga
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 07:48:17 pm »

PTW - this mod seems to be making waves. I should probably check it out.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 08:23:41 pm »

By all means do! I don't often stick with conversion mods for long, but this one is loads of fun.

Anyway, I'll spend some more time with this fort tomorrow and hopefully have another update to post within the next day or two.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 05:03:09 pm »

Second story update! It's now summer and I've got most minimal fortress elements established, but I'll let Dalek fill you in on the details. Potential trigger warning regarding violence to animals.

Sitting down at the chair of his newly-constructed office, the shadows on the walls made stark by the lone lantern burning on his desk, Dalek ran his fingers through his taupe grey beard thoughtfully before dipping his jabberer quill pen in the inkwell to his left. He began to write out his seasonal report to Queen Ifik on the brock parchment scroll in front of him.

Leader's Log 2, Summer 1050, Year 1 of Tightropeherds:

Greetings, Your Majesty:
I've returned with my summer report for the operations of "The Salty Coils", as I promised. So, be assured that all of us are still alive and well.

There's quite a bit for me to report, as it turns out. Operations at Tightropeherds are proceeding at about the expected rate. We have most of the bare essentials of fortress life established by now. Honestly I'm just relieved to be able to sleep under a roof of solid stone again, and I know many of my fellow expedition members feel the same way.
Morale is still high for the most part, and we've all been able to get to know one another in a bit more detail. My fellow teammates have been enjoyable company for the most part (Icubugsh excepted, the pompous ass can jump into a magma pit for all I care), though it's abundantly clear they still see me as their boss more than their friend.
We now have several basic workshops, a trade depot, seven individual bedrooms, and a combination dining room and meeting hall. We got a still up and running, so hopefully we'll be able to start brewing drinks very soon (this is, of course, one of our highest priorities at the moment). All of us here are getting anxious for fresh booze, myself no less than anyone else.

A farm plot has been set up on the surface level near our main stockpile, which we seeded with enough of our plump helmet spawn to last us through the Winter. We've designated a temporary outdoor pasture for our single remaining shoveldon (who seems gradually to be recovering his spirits) and crystal chargers, which will have to suffice until such time as our miners strike the caverns and a permanent underground grazing area can be put together.

Unfortunately, the drakes from my last letter have not yet cleared the embark area. No civilians have yet been attacked, though there were a few close calls. The damned lizards have even gotten bold enough to leave the river. I've seen them slinking between the shadows of the nearby trees on more than one occasion, their glinting eyes watching us with interest as we move stockpile supplies back and forth. A gloomwing of ours got into a scuffle with one of the beasts, and the ordeal seems to have left it permanently crippled. As an act of mercy and also on account of our necessities, we currently plan to slaughter it for meat and parts as soon as we get a butcher shop built and operational.

A family of badgers also seem to have settled into a burrow in the nearby hills for the summer. The abundance of game in these lands has gotten me pondering hunting and trapping operations in the near future.

To my great chagrin, Omshet did not immediately honour my orders to postpone his fishing operations until the minimal fort was established. The elf-witted fool should consider himself lucky he decided to stick to the ponds where there was no apparent danger. Fortunately, he shortly thereafter fell in love with our stoneworker Kirigos, so hopefully romance will keep him distracted for a while. Still, having to listen to him waxing poetic day and night about "the luxurious follicles of her beard" sometimes makes me wish he would just risk a fishing trip.

Anyway, next on our agenda is to set up a hospital and metalsmithing industry, both of which I hope we can get up and running within the next several months. Once we get our first migrant wave, we can start thinking about a military unit. The orcs (and worse things) will find out about this place sooner or later, so it's crucial that we get Tightropeherds defensible. In the meantime, I've gotten our jeweller to work cutting gems in preparation for trading.

Apologies if the quality of this report is subpar, the pace of recent events has left me somewhat flustered as an expedition leader. If all continues to run smoothly, expect my next report by early to mid Autumn. Long may you rule, my Queen!
Your Loyal Subject, Dalek "Sequentialstair" Otigostcunorushat

Glossary of non-vanilla elements:
Brock: A large badger-like mammal native to the depths, often domesticated by dwarves for hunting and war purposes.
Crystal charger: A goat-like creature from the caverns, enchanted by magical subterranean energies. It has crystalline horns on its head, and on account of its innate magic those who drink its milk become temporarily immune to the dark spells of certain cavern horrors.
Gloomwing: A small insectoid creature found flying underground in swarms. It has a quadrupedal body, a retractable stinger on its tail, and a proboscis with a toothy maw at the tip. It also has compound eyes to see potential threats coming from any direction. They primarily eat fruit from underground foliage, as well as the occasional vermin.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 02:56:11 am by PlumpHelmetMan »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 10:26:20 pm »

Important Update: Given that a new version of Highfantasy was just released, I think it might be easier to just reboot this story in a fresh world than to keep playing in an obsolete version of the mod just for the purpose of a single game. Since I literally just started this fort anyway and it hasn't gone on long enough for either myself or (hopefully) any readers of this thread to become terribly invested yet, I'm hoping no one has a problem with this. Stay tuned for the reboot!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 05:30:14 pm »

Hey guys, on the off-chance that anyone even still cares: I'm really sorry about the silence regarding the promised Tightropeherds reboot. Just wanted to post to offer reassurance that I totally still plan on doing it, I've just hit a bit of a dry spell in my inspiration to play Dwarf Fortress generally the past couple months (which happens every once in a while, it's just that kind of game). I'll probably have details on the new fort before the end of January 2022 if not sooner, so once again stay tuned!