Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 781952 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world
« Reply #1755 on: April 14, 2014, 02:04:00 pm »

I'm having a little bit of trouble with the save... I've extracted it to what I believe is the right directory but when I start the game it doesn't show up. My other two worlds show up just fine though...

That is odd. I just downloaded my own save game to see where I messed up but it seems to be working properly for me.
From the DF menu, have you chosen the "start playing" option?, since no adventurer or fortress is currently loaded you have to start a new game, "continue playing" will not work. The game should be called the museum #63
If that doesn't work: what version of DF are you playing, something pre df 34.11?, in that case it might be uncompatible.

Kalsb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: April 14, 2014, 05:33:02 pm »

I've been using the most current version of Dwarf Fortress. There is no Start Playing option. I've had a go at this earlier but encountered no problems... I don't understand why I'm having problems now.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: April 14, 2014, 05:38:25 pm »

Quick idea: do a hard reboot to clear your cache - your computer may just need to do a fresh restart to get rid of weirdness.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Kalsb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: April 14, 2014, 10:26:21 pm »

Actually, I think the problem was that the save was missing some files or something. I re-extracted it and got it working. However, the game crashed while I was playing... Shame, I was forming a pretty good story. Oh well, I guess I can start again and hope for a similar start.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: April 15, 2014, 06:35:09 am »

Whatever happened to the rest of Atomic Chicken's story? Did anythilng new get returned to the Museum?
Yeah, sorry about that. I got busy again and kind of forgot about it. I'll post it as soon as I find the time to write the rest.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Kalsb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: April 17, 2014, 01:49:27 pm »

Well, I finally got to play a game and all I can say is: Curse you, Bora Ragedance! Even in death, he still causes the demise of others...
Anyway, here's my short story:

Blood... blood everywhere. The crimson river runs thick. It flows slowly towards a large bag. The is empty but around it is heads. They are mostly goblin heads with some deer and I think a wolf. They all stare at me and whisper my name, "Logemnal... Logemnal... Kalsb Logemnal!" But wait... My name isn't Kalsb... My name is Kel, Kel Logemnal... A steel clad dwarf awkwardly lumbers towards me. His eyes are blank, his limbs are rotting. He raises his sword and brings it down my-

Where... Where am I? Upon first glance, it looks like a market. However, there's no one here. I can see two churches, but they're also abandoned. The houses... abandoned and dilapidated. Perhaps there is someone at the keep? Surely I can find answers there!

I open the door.
"Hello?"
Empty. Looks like this place is empty too. It'd be best to do a through search. There's another door to my right, I guess that's where I'll start.
I open the door.
"He-..."
There's a goblin. He does not look friendly...
I backed out the doorway
He advanced.
I backed away
He advanced.
"Stay back!" I warned
He advanced.
"This will end very poorly for you..." I lunged.
The battle was over fairly quickly. I cut off an arm, then a leg, and left him to die. I looked at the room he came from and saw it led to a dungeon. Perhaps that's where he came from.
I hope he wasn't the only inhabitant of this town. I am so very lost. I guess I'll take the stairs and look up there. Nothing but statues and a bag. Maybe I should check the dungeon... I go down the stairs and open the hatch. I descend into darkness. I have a quick look around and find a room full of goblin corpses. Not a pleasant sight... I make my way up for fear of becoming lost down there. I guess there is no one left in this town, it's probably time I leave.
I travel west. I thought it would be an unremarkable journey, I was wrong.

Walking through the forest can be quite dull when all the animals are hiding from you. However that soon changes when I realize there's some fast paced crunching heading towards me from the left.
I hear a loud rasping, "Prepare to die!"
I start to run in the opposite direction just as a large sasquatch burst out from the vegetation. Is that my attacker? Should I stop to find out? I hear the sasquatch cry out in pain. Perhaps I should go look? What if it's a gentle giant?
I turn around and see a mummy assaulting the beast. It tries to cut it with a knife. I decide that the world would better if it were dead, for good. And charge at it. The sasquatch and I surround it. The beasts uses its massive size to keep the mummy down. Soon, we find ourselves fighting side by side. It tries to attack me, mistaking me for its aggressor, and knocks me down. The mummy takes this opportunity to stab it. The  sasquatch is also on the ground, writhing in pain, but it is not my target. I attack at the mummy. I miss. It attacks me. It misses. It attacks again while I try to stand up. I block and cut off its arm, but I'm still on the ground. I try to stand again, and once more the mummy attacks me. I block again and cut off its other arm. While I may be on the ground, I'm pretty sure I'm winning! But alas, this fight was not meant to go in my favor. As the mummy tries to bite and kick me, I notice its recently dismembered arms crawling towards me.
They surround me. The sasquatch tries to run but faints.
I try my best, but I'm constantly bitten, scratched and kicked. One of the arms punched me so hard I think my heart stopped. I'm not sure how that's possible. I cut the hand off of it but it doesn't matter, they'll come back and the mummy has bitten into my vital organs and stomped me to death.

Logenmal... Logemnal... Doomed to paint the hours of time in blood for as long as it stands.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: April 17, 2014, 05:16:28 pm »

Yet another death to Bora Ragedance's mummy legion!

Theres a bag full of Bora-blood in the Museum if anyone fancies nomming it...
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Kalsb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: April 17, 2014, 11:28:40 pm »

It's worse that I had the opportunity to run... That sasquatch was more than enough to keep the mummy distracted, all I had to do was keep moving, but I got too cocky...

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: April 17, 2014, 11:50:31 pm »

More than Bora or any other monster in this game, the true bane of adventurers and dwarves alike: Hubris.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: April 18, 2014, 09:45:11 am »

Only the very strong can kill mummies - you have to be able to behead them to kill them.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: April 18, 2014, 09:50:37 am »

Or those sufficiently sneaky.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: April 18, 2014, 10:35:06 am »

Or those sufficiently sneaky.
It doesn't matter if you're sneaky if you aren't strong enough to land the killing blow.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: April 18, 2014, 11:25:25 am »

Sure it does. Just keep hacking. Even if it takes a year, you'll kill it. Alternatively, sneak and throwing works, too. This might get a lucky shot it and cripple it somewhat. And, if you have a good enough weapon, you'll eventually get a lucky shot in.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: April 18, 2014, 01:28:08 pm »

Ah, mummies. Never a good excuse not to have Fun with them!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vitellus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: April 21, 2014, 09:24:14 am »

If this is still active, I'd like to have a go at it
Perfecting the art of limb removal since U.C. 214
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 162