Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 782793 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world
« Reply #1980 on: June 04, 2014, 02:05:41 pm »

I guess we'll just have to see what keeps going after worldgen to see what age of world to generate.

Also I still can't get over being sigged.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: June 04, 2014, 02:14:49 pm »

I've added deepfreeze78 and plancky to the list.

From what I've read Eric is right. A lot of aspects of the game won't continue after worldgen, so I think it will be best to generate a world with a long history, after all, uncovering what happened in the past is a lot of fun too.

I'll post information about the new game once the new DF version is released, and it likely won't start untill there is a reasonably stable version. If were going to have another two year game we better be sure we don't get stuck with game-breaking bugs that could have been avoided by waiting a few weeks. Given toady's accuracy in predicting release dates I also would not get too exited just jet  ;).

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: June 04, 2014, 02:16:39 pm »

I'll download the save tonight and get started. It will feel strange without Dishmab, my new guy has some big boots to fill!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: June 04, 2014, 02:23:22 pm »

From what I've read Eric is right. A lot of aspects of the game won't continue after worldgen, so I think it will be best to generate a world with a long history, after all, uncovering what happened in the past is a lot of fun too.

I thought that the major selling point of the new update was that the world's history was going to continue a whole lot more after world gen. If we did a longer history, then wouldn't much of the megabeasts and semi-megabeasts be dead, leaving us with a rather easy/boring world, with nothing to kill but bandits and necromancers?
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: June 04, 2014, 02:44:21 pm »

The new version will definitely be much more alive after worldgen than the current, however certain things won't continue.
By picking the right worldgen settings it should be possible to generate a long history world with plenty of megabeasts. The current game for example was generated with over 1000 years of history, but started in the age of myth (which I think means at least 80% of megabeasts were still alive).
We still have plenty of megabeasts and are still in the age of legends despite all the hordes of adventurers that have pillaged and tortured this world over the past two years, so running out of megabeasts is no big concern.

Starting right after worldgen would leave us without any full-grown dragons, and none of the megabeasts will have any history to them. I however agree that it would be an interesting experiment. I think there would be enough people interested too, so I encourage anyone who wants to start such a game. More adventuring games would be a good thing to have.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: June 04, 2014, 02:49:42 pm »

Oh wow, that's weird. I've never generated a world longer than 250 years, and even then most of my 250 ear old worlds end generating in at least the age of legends.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: June 04, 2014, 03:04:26 pm »

I do recall that I spend quite some time tweaking worldgen parameters to influence megabeast survival. In addition, the world was generated in df 34.05, not the most recent version, I don't know if that had an effect on allowing such a long worldgen with high megabeast numbers.

I've added "Shovelscratches the Shady Heliotrope Chamber" to the map.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 03:11:17 pm by Bralbaard »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: June 04, 2014, 05:32:25 pm »

Is there a competition for the longest fortress name???

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: June 04, 2014, 05:33:47 pm »

To be fair there are very small civilizations in the game and the vampire king of dinnerwandered ate most of the city. There are werecreatures everywhere and a civilization worth of night creatures. Also the entire western continent is devoid of life save some dwarves

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: June 04, 2014, 06:22:10 pm »

Sign me up again if the new museum isn't goign to get a new thread

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: June 05, 2014, 10:14:56 am »

I'd like to sign up again, as there is a good chance I'll be playing after the fabulous release. I want a share of some kingdom and advanced stealth action too!

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: June 07, 2014, 09:15:17 pm »

Just a quick update to say my game is going well, have explored two sites so far, and my guy is still not dead.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: June 08, 2014, 08:14:41 am »

Just a quick update to say my game is going well, have explored two sites so far, and my guy is still not dead.
New High Score!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: June 08, 2014, 04:22:04 pm »

But are you undead yet? You're not cool until you're undead. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: June 08, 2014, 04:24:18 pm »

2 cool 4 life
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 162