Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 783693 times)

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
  • Mysterious Transmissions
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)
« Reply #2100 on: August 04, 2014, 07:39:53 pm »

I think I fixed it, your turn came before Jarathor's if I'm not mistaken. I've also added Phenoix12.
I'll try to get the game up this weekend.

Hopefully what is out now is stable enough for prolonged play.
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

Clabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm NOT a purple cabbage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: August 05, 2014, 01:43:54 am »

Sure the latest version seems fairly stable, but the game isn't as challenging/interesting with the current state of the emotion system. Personally I'd rather wait until Toady at least gets that fixed up.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: August 05, 2014, 04:08:20 am »

Sure the latest version seems fairly stable, but the game isn't as challenging/interesting with the current state of the emotion system. Personally I'd rather wait until Toady at least gets that fixed up.

I've been having fun nicknaming all my non-lethal encounters so far - "Smitty" the Troglodyte is my favorite so far.  He gets so scared upon seeing my adventurer that he runs away right into a tree and beaks his ankle, or an arm, or last time he jumped off a 3-z-level cliff to get away and broke both legs and his "middle spine's tissue".  I usually just offer to make him a hearthperson, but by then the poor dear has passed out from the pain.  So my dwarf will camp out by him all night, sleeping in dozes before taking off again. 

Pretty interesting new stuff.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: August 05, 2014, 11:42:17 am »

Also: Good news!  I just did some !!SCIENCE!! regarding artifacts and furniture: Both are able to be picked up and moved in adventure mode without any wackiness.  Yes, my dwarven adventurer quickly drowned when he tried swimming with an 816 urist stone artifact statue in his backpack, but that's beside the point.  He also had been wearing an artifact ring made of hematite from an entirely different previous fortress too, and had been able to sleep/retire while wearing it, drop it off at another site, leave it there then later retrieve it as well.  So - that bug is happily no more!

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: August 05, 2014, 02:12:02 pm »

I agree, just looking at the main site 0.40.07 is already being worked on and judging by the rate of releases for bug fixes it will be out in a week or so... and then most likely another then another.  We should wait at least a little while longer so we can make sure to get the best experience.
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: August 05, 2014, 02:44:48 pm »

I agree, just looking at the main site 0.40.07 is already being worked on and judging by the rate of releases for bug fixes it will be out in a week or so... and then most likely another then another.  We should wait at least a little while longer so we can make sure to get the best experience.

We can wait a bit. Is the 'current state of the emotion system' properly reported on the bug tracker as a bug, or is it a feature? The same could be asked of the current state of the sneaking system. Both seem to make the game a lot easier than we are used to, but few people have played the old adventure mode as extensively as us, and I can imagine that it is regarded as a low priority bug, or indeed a feature. For now Toady seems to focus on fortress mode bugs.

edit: after playing some 40.06 it does appear to be badly broken, none of the wildlife I encounter seem to respond to anything, they just sit there, even when attacked.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 03:51:15 pm by Bralbaard »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: August 05, 2014, 04:00:55 pm »

That's odd.  The wildlife seem fine in 40.05...

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Clabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm NOT a purple cabbage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: August 05, 2014, 04:52:29 pm »

It seems to be  random whether people/creatures want to fight or not. I've seen people flee in terror for no reason, or start no quarter combats with me and then not even follow them up. It's odd...

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: August 05, 2014, 06:21:50 pm »

I think I'd rather wait for a more stable version if major aspects of adventure mode are wonky.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: August 08, 2014, 03:52:48 am »

Also: Good news!  I just did some !!SCIENCE!! regarding artifacts and furniture: Both are able to be picked up and moved in adventure mode without any wackiness.  Yes, my dwarven adventurer quickly drowned when he tried swimming with an 816 urist stone artifact statue in his backpack, but that's beside the point.  He also had been wearing an artifact ring made of hematite from an entirely different previous fortress too, and had been able to sleep/retire while wearing it, drop it off at another site, leave it there then later retrieve it as well.  So - that bug is happily no more!

And some bad news. The bug where fortresses suffer from FPS death after many visits still exists. After sleeping repeatedly in an abandoned site slowdown occurred, and leather started to accumulate on the surface. I'll post an update to the bugtracker, it would be nice if this bug could be fixed in one of the upcoming bug fixes. 

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: August 08, 2014, 12:26:01 pm »

Good call, Braalbard.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: August 09, 2014, 07:13:42 pm »

Will the new Museum be put into it's own forum.
Dwarf Fortress.

SOGGYPOTATOCHIPS

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Moist 'taters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: August 09, 2014, 09:03:32 pm »

I'd like a turn in the new museum.
Feel free to call me Soggy. Or Potato. Or Chips. Or any combination of the three.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: August 12, 2014, 12:40:00 pm »

I've been thinking; if we want toady to be able to fix the bugs that have been plaguing the museum game, we need to provide a save that gives good examples. Maybe we could run a succession world similar to the museum's principle of alternating adventure and fort modes, but forget about worrying about detailed stories: generate an old world in the current version with as close to 30k historical figures as possible so as to quickly recreate the crash on attempting to unretire adventurers we have with the current save, then each make an adventurer, visit all the places and do all the tasks you can in 3-4 days, then spend the rest of the time creating a fort. Make a cluster of forts near a small civilization like we have now so adventurers can get to them and run through them repeatedly.

In a month or two we could rack up a single save that demonstrates multiple bugs if we each keep a log of all the issues we find in any mode of play, and submit those logs alongside the save to the relevant bug reports on the bug tracker, Toady would have examples of all of them, which might make it easier for him to pin down some of them. And it could be doubly helpful because some of the bugs we've been experiencing may only be able to show up in worlds that go through a lot of wear. We as individuals probably don't often play one world long enough for that to happen, and the current museum save isn't going to be as relevant.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: August 12, 2014, 01:54:42 pm »

I've been thinking; if we want toady to be able to fix the bugs that have been plaguing the museum game, we need to provide a save that gives good examples. Maybe we could run a succession world similar to the museum's principle of alternating adventure and fort modes, but forget about worrying about detailed stories: generate an old world in the current version with as close to 30k historical figures as possible so as to quickly recreate the crash on attempting to unretire adventurers we have with the current save, then each make an adventurer, visit all the places and do all the tasks you can in 3-4 days, then spend the rest of the time creating a fort. Make a cluster of forts near a small civilization like we have now so adventurers can get to them and run through them repeatedly.

In a month or two we could rack up a single save that demonstrates multiple bugs if we each keep a log of all the issues we find in any mode of play, and submit those logs alongside the save to the relevant bug reports on the bug tracker, Toady would have examples of all of them, which might make it easier for him to pin down some of them. And it could be doubly helpful because some of the bugs we've been experiencing may only be able to show up in worlds that go through a lot of wear. We as individuals probably don't often play one world long enough for that to happen, and the current museum save isn't going to be as relevant.

Will he want to focus on the 34.xx game at all, now that he has the 40.xx updated game out of the pipeline?  I like the idea, but perhaps starting up a 40.xx game instead and running through it like you suggested might be the more viable solution.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 162