Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 780929 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure item quest (adventure succession game)
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2012, 03:12:38 pm »

Great read, your English is fine (though I'm no expert, as I'm not a native speaker either)
I've updated the maps at the start of the topic.
Here's a map that shows how distant Silverywind is from the museum:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Before venturing out, my friends told me about a vampire, disguised as a dwarf, hanging around. I found this a fine way to prove my fighting skills, so I accused her of being a night creature
Later, while crossing an evil, haunted desert I drank her blood. Nothing happened to me, actually. Don't know why, and what actually makes someone a vampire.
[/spoiler]

Vampire blood seems to be oddly non-contagious in this world, I have no clue on how and why that happened, but more players have reported this.

I've updated the player list, and I'll PM Mjattie.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:18:22 pm by Bralbaard »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2012, 07:44:50 pm »

Your English is perfectly fine. I speak it as my first language, and the tiny mistakes I saw had no great effect on the quality or clarity of the story. Also, this is the internet, where language goes to die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2012, 01:25:07 am »

So... whose turn is it? Should we be skipping someone after such a long absence? I've got my new computer now so I'm ready to take my turn if I'm next. I certainly don't want this to die.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2012, 01:13:28 pm »

Indeed, no response from Mjattie, and it's been a week since I PM'ed him. That makes it my turn. Downloading now...

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2012, 01:58:18 pm »

It's been 11 years since it all started, 11 years since the foundation of the museum. I was there at the very start, when the tyrant vampire lord Teshil Despairdaub ordered it's construction. I was the one who dragged all the marble tables to the museum. I nearly lost my life there, in the ruins of Sunkengem, The dwarven outpost near the museum where the tables where created. A troll smashed my foot, but I escaped, and lived to complete my task for the vampire master. The wound never healed, every day it reminds me of what happened all those years ago.
But I haven't properly introduced myself. I should, before I continue rambling about times past.

My name is Bralbaard Scaledskin.
One look at my clothes would tell you that I'm an average citizen of the empire of Omon Woge. The turban is worn by all the empire's citizens, it gives shade from the burning sun even on the hottest of days. The other items I'm wearing are rather mundane as well. The only item that occasionally gets me some comments is the robe:

Yes, that is a panda leather robe.
But there's more a quick look could teach you, anyone from  the empire would recognize me right away as a villager from one of the surrounding hamlets. My eyes are not ochre but green, unlike people born in the capital, and my hair is not amber but pitch black. While I look like a farmer I've never felt like one, I think I always felt that I did not belong here, but I've only come to fully realize this recently.

But I was telling you about the start of the museum. It did not go as my vampire master had planned, on the contrary. Our vampire lord expected the museum to draw adventurers that would fill it with treasures and that would bring him fame, but it summoned heroes who confronted him, and brought him to justice. It's been years now since Kaslun Dapsaning, guided by the power of Kromgar, brought down the vampire overlord. It seems so long ago now.
After Teshil Despairdaub fell, I quickly lost interest in the museum and continued with my own life. The museum only reminded me of our suffering under the vampire lord. The never-healing wound on my foot made reminded me every day.

Two days ago however I received a letter that made me change my mind. The letter was addressed to the museum, but as there was nobody there, the messenger had brought it to me. People still know of my history with the museum.
The message was written in the Dwarven language, and came from a faraway city named Controlledbels, one of the mountain homes of the Rainy Lashes. It asked if we had received word from an expedition they had sent out that should have made it to Dinnerwandered months ago. The expedition was to bring us artifacts from a place known as "Silverywind"
Since we have not heard from such an expedition I can only asume it must have failed. I've send a return letter, but it did not ease my mind.
The tales about this frozen city filled with artifacts have haunted me for the last two days. A city made out of ice, just imagine... What a sight it must be.

Some magical force seems to want to draw me to this place, and I can not resist.
I have made up my mind, I'll leave Dinnerwandered tomorrow.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2012, 11:29:23 am »

The tales about this frozen city filled with artifacts have haunted me for the last two days. A city made out of ice, just imagine... What a sight it must be.

Some magical force seems to want to draw me to this place, and I can not resist.
I have made up my mind, I'll leave Dinnerwandered tomorrow.

Ambitious! This is going to be quite a trek.

BTW that robe is faaabulous.

EDIT: wow I just realized that your waterskin and gloves are matched too; nice detail!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:20:00 pm by Niyazov »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2012, 03:19:34 pm »

day 1:
Before setting out on my journey, I collected some decent armor and an iron scimitar from the upper floors of the museum. I kept the panda leather robe and I now wear my turban over a helmet, safety is one thing, but style is another. I bought an old map at the general store.
I Travelled south through chuckbridge, and after only one day of travel I arived in Wireyelled. The clothing of the people on the street indicated I had already left the empire of Omon Woge, I'm in the northernmost empire of Dur Kunod now.

day 2
I travelled through a great number of hamlets today, In every village I stopped and tried to find companions for the long road ahead, without any success. In the end a farmwoman named Beksur Leadechoed joined me. At nearly two times my weight she doesn't look like an adventurer, but she's friendly company, and might just scare the bogeymen away. Just before nightfall we arrive in the city of Mindfulring. The place is nearly in as bad a shape as Dinnerwandered.

day 3
We slept in an abandoned warehouse and went to the central keep the next morning where we spoke to Idil Elbowyearling, first treat. He's wearing a human nail crown, at is the only one awake in the keep. My smashed toe is acting up as well, it's obvious what is going on here, but I'm no hero. My mission will take me elsewhere. I recruit two more companions at the marketplace.

My companions:

Day 4
We leave the human empires in the early morning and set out towards the glad seas, as my map indicates there should be some friendly villages there.  We have only just left the town when we run right into a herd of undead hippo's. Horrified I order my companions to retreat but they run straight for the undead monsters. Nubi is the first to get his skull caved in. I screamed for the others to run away, to no avail. I even tried to stab one of the hippo's a couple of times with no noticeable effect. In the end I lost my nerve and ran, while the men I was responsible for were dying a horrible death.

Day 6
Today I recruited three new men from the marketplace of Mindfulring. Which was not easy considering what happened to the last. Kon Budclouted, merchant, Kege wheelfeed the planter, and Erdab Healedace joined me. This time we made it to the mountain range of the Muddy fingers.

Day 7
We made it without incident across the mountains and into the larval starvation desert the next day. I was just worrying about what this name could mean when my thoughts were cut short by a thundering voice:
You will remember the matched disloyalty when we're finished with you!
At least 12 goblins, half of them bowgobblins, and two of those elite bowgoblins, jump from behind the trees. The very first arrow hits Erdab straight between the eyes, pieces of skull fly everywhere. Kog is also immediately on the ground hit by at least three arrows. I jump away and manage to put some trees behind me and most of the bowgoblins. shielded by the trees I manage to flee from battle.

Not much later I reallize that I'm alone in the larval starvation desert, and night is falling...

So, this is where I am right now:

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2012, 05:16:12 pm »

day 1:
Before setting out on my journey, I collected some decent armor and an iron scimitar from the upper floors of the museum. I kept the panda leather robe and I now wear my turban over a helmet, safety is one thing, but style is another.

This is you

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2012, 01:23:18 pm »

So my computer died on thursday. I've got it working in safemode today, and the situation seems recoverable.
I should be able to post an update by wednesday.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2012, 02:40:41 pm »

I ran in the general direction of where the town of Playrag should be, while the sun disappeared behind the horizon. My foot hurt like hell, but I could not afford to slow down.

I made it to playrag before night was truly upon me, only to have my hopes dashed: The town was ruined, and completely abandoned. While I tried to catch my breath I quickly went through the options I had left while I limped to the shore of the glad seas. The pain kept my mind from focusing, and I decided to check the wound:
This was not good. Death by infection however was only a long term problem, and for the short term there were more urgent problems. In fact a new problem just introduced itself (in fluent kobold):

Shlagasayrber!

Two kobolds jump at me from behind the sparse vegetation, I manage to side step the first. While it spins around I slash it in the arm with my scimitar severing it. I put my full weight on my wounded foot to avoid the second kobolds attack. Despite the sharp pain I manage to retaliate, and stab it in the leg. Both kobolds are down, it looks like I may actually win this battle! I slash at the second kobold a couple more times, severing a leg, when suddenly it lashes out and plants a knife in my chest through the bronze armor.
I try to draw breath but I can't, gasping for air I fall to the ground and crawl away.  So do the two kobolds who are in a similar condition.
I drag myself to the beach of the glad seas and collapse, fully expecting to never wake up again.

Day 8
I actually opened my eyes today! I am still alive! The rumours about night creatures fearing the ocean must have some truth to it, and sleeping on the beach must have saved my life... My chest wound seems to have miraculously healed as well. the gods have granted me a second chance!
The infection to my foot has not healed, but the pain does not bother me today, I am still alive!

Day 15
I have not written in my log for several days. I guess that I was distracted for a bit by being alive. I will summarize what has happened over the past days: The other cities on the coast of the glad sea were all abandoned, whatever empire ruled there was utterly destroyed by unknown forces long ago. I traveled south and then west for several days, sleeping on the beach at night to avoid the bogeymen. I remembered hearing rumors that bogeymen fear mountains as well as water, so at some point I made a run across the plains for the Prime crest

I made it to the southern reaches of the dwarven empire of Udarmeng. Since you've been reading my log, you know I have accomplished nothing. I've run from all my battles, and all those around me have perished, but this fact was lost on the dwarves. They even believe I killed some creatures I have never even heard the names of. Seven dwarven warriors joined my effort to reach Silverywind.

I traveled south for several days and reached the human fortress of Rushedraked in the human empire of Amilanthath. It's winter here, the landscape is covered with snow. Amazing, two weeks ago I had only read about snow in stories.
I'm glad I brought the panda leather robe, it keeps me warm. Temperatures only get above freezing for several hours each day. Between the cold ocean and here lies only wilderness. We will attempt to cross it in the next few days.

Progress:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 04:43:12 am by Bralbaard »

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2012, 02:55:33 pm »

Good luck in the trackless wastes!

Try not to get killed by a trap the instant you set foot in Silverywinds.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2012, 11:05:58 pm »

Wow! I've definitely never traveled that far without dying.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2012, 03:31:25 pm »

day 19
After four days we made it to Crescentattic. There is most likely no other fortress in the world that is so strategically placed. The mighty and legendary fortress controls the narrow landbridge between the cold ocean and the ashen ocean, and singlehandedly protects the human empire of Gil Ladgi from invasions from the north.

day 20
We have left the empire of Gil Ladgi, I estimate the remaining journey to Silverywind will take us two more days. I am happy to have these brave dwarves as companions, they have already told me a lot about what I can expect from Silverywind, If it is typical for a dwarven fortress, it will likely be heavily trapped, they told stories about what dwarves use for such traps: huge steel corckscrews, glass serrated disks, and even magma. Silverywind may hold all, or none of these horrors, we will soon find out.

Day 21
A giant herd of giant undead boar! I had warned the dwarves about the battle with the hippos near Mindfullring and that they should run away in such a situation. However now that they were confronted by such an enemy they just screamed something about honor and bravery, and ignored my orders!

It was horrible, the dwarves had no chance, I saw them kill some of the boar, but there were too many, and then the undead reindeer came! I abandoned my companions and ran... I failed again.
This time however I was not fast enough, large swarms of undead ravens descended from the sky, at speeds greater than a man can run.
They pecked at me, surrounded me. I lashed out with my scimitar, and ran as fast as my infected foot would let me. Their beaks and claws scratched my armor but couldn't pierce it, but the undead reindeer were not far behind. After running and fighting for several ours I finally made it to the coast. I slew the ravens that dared follow me this far. I was at the beach, the beach of a frozen ocean. It should be safe for the night.

Day 22:
I travelled onward, alone. Even my panda leather cloak could not keep me warm here. The cursed forest gave way to a frozen wasteland. It shouldn't be far now.  Then, slowly, the fog came. A dense, intensely cold fog. I could only see three feet far. Anything could jump at me from that fog, and I would have no warning at all:
The fog seemed to draw the last bit of warmth and life out of the air. I had walked for several ours barely able to see my own hands,  when I suddenly slammed face first into a solid ice wall. I had not seen it due to the thick fog.
It was made of dense, dark blocks, that  felt deadly cold to the touch.

There was no doubt about it, I had made it to Silverywind.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 04:11:10 pm by Bralbaard »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2012, 04:55:58 pm »

Wait, if you're at the top of the world (which, from the map, appears to be the hottest part), then how is it so cold? I know that ice walls don't melt, but night shouldn't be all that cold. Or are you using artistic license?

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2012, 05:37:20 pm »

Wait, if you're at the top of the world (which, from the map, appears to be the hottest part), then how is it so cold? I know that ice walls don't melt, but night shouldn't be all that cold. Or are you using artistic license?

He's at the bottom of the world, he started at the muesum and headed southwards. So far its been the longest treck across the world I've seen yet ...
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 162