Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 780898 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure item quest (adventure succession game)
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2012, 06:24:32 pm »

OH! Derp. I am blind. Maybe I need some sleep.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2012, 07:53:46 am »

Aw, man... Most epic turn ever, and I have to follow it... I'll probably die to a wild gopher or something in the first five minutes.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2012, 04:28:10 am »

Wow, this place is fun to explore, I can see a lot of work went into this. I got a PM with a well-written background story for the fortress from Tehsapper, I will use it to write this story.

--------------------------------------------------
-Silverywind-

I still can't see more than three feet in this fog, The obvious thing to do is to follow the wall, looking for an entrance. I notice however that the presence of the wall does not give me a feeling of direction, and comfort, as one would expect.  The ice is dark and dense, and somehow, feels wrong and corrupted. It's definitely not the crystal clear ice I had imagined.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Almost on the other side of the massive construction I find a gap in the wall. I carefully enter the massive fortress. I find it hard to accurately describe this place, as due to the fog, I only see small parts of it at a time.
I have already described the massive outer walls, these would easily survive even the greatest sieges or natural disasters. Inside however the picture is different, most of the buildings have completely or partially collapsed. Not because of their age, this place must be ancient, no judging by the way the stones are arranged this place came to a violent end. This makes me even more worried about the monsters that may be hiding in the mist.

Then there are the new buildings; There are several of them scattered about the place, also several statues have been placed that tell the story of a dwarven expedition that arrived here in 1060, only several years ago. This must be the expedition that never made it to the museum. From the statues and craft-work made by the expedition I gather that the original city was completely destroyed by a tsunami, that subsequently froze. The dwarven expedition was here to excavate the hidden treasures of this long lost city, but what happened to them?   
I've drawn a simple map of the layout of the ground floor of the fortress, for as far as this was possible in the mist:

I was carefully exploring other sections of the fortress,  when suddenly a creature emerged from the dense fog. I panicked and ran away only to bump into a second creature, then lost my balance and fell into the snow. When I gazed up, I saw it was a dwarf. He had an eerie empty look in his eyes, and did not seem to respond at all to our recent collision. I got up, and tried starting a conversation, but he just returned a blank gaze, occasionally muttering sentences like:

..a...a..ask me when...I have returned... to my home...

While exploring the rest of the fortress I ran into more dwarves like him, most never responded to my questions, others only returned meaningless answers, several of them talked about lost family members, all had been lost in the same way:
Flee into the ocean? What happened here?
I must have met about 30 of these lost dwarves, I tried to persuade them to join me and leave this place, but most never responded. One dwarf is following me now, still with a blank stare, and mostly unresponsive.
I explored the rest of the fortress, There is a massive central tower, with doors made of solid gold, from this tower huge walkways connect to other towers, some of these seem to have collapsed during the tsunami, which shows how high the wave must have been. Even the partially collapsed towers are still impressive in height, this place must be an absolutely stunning view on a non foggy day.  The unnatural fog and cold have penetrated all buildings, the view inside is as bad as outside, with one exception, the catacombs and mineshafts below the city.
Despite the darkness, I can see further down here. The dungeons are abandoned and littered with animal corpses. A rusty lever sits against one of the walls:

There's a long, muddy corridor leading south, the water tastes salty. The corridor ends in a damp room filled with strange fungal growth. There is a large floodgate here, It does not appear to be under a lot of pressure, so I use the lever near the stairwell to open it. I can't leave it open for too long, or it will flood the entire fortress, the water pressure is too strong for me to swim against, I can't get a good look at the room beyond the floodgate.

Me and the brainwashed dwarf spend the night in the central tower,  I think the dwarf just stood there the entire night with that blank stare, peering into the dense fog three feet ahead of him. this must be were the king of the ancient dwarven civilization had his throne room.

The next morning I explored the northwest section of the fortress, and I am glad I did, this is were all the treasure is hidden! I found a solid gold crown, beautifully decorated, and truly a masterpiece even among dwarven craft.  It must have been crafted by the dwarven expedition, to commemorate their arrival here at the fortress.
Even more important, I found an ancient artifact, this must have been created not by the expedition, but by the ancient civilization that lived here:
It is warm to the touch, somehow unaffected by the deathly cold of this forsaken place. My brainwashed companion suddenly showed a glimpse of recognition in his eyes, and muttered:

m..m..Mournsaints...the Ruler-Fire of Rewards...

I think he even smiled, before returning to his blank gaze.

I think I have found what I need for the museum. We will leave this place at once.

------------------------------------
I won't be keeping a detailed log of the journey back, I'll just try to get there as quick as possible. 

« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 06:58:39 am by Bralbaard »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2012, 01:17:47 pm »

At this page, suddenly the handwriting in the logbook changes:

Ha! you were not expecting that were you? My name is Luto Firepumpkins, and since I ended that idiot Bralbaard's life, I thought I might just finish his diary as well...

So, dear diary..
A couple of days ago me, and my two partners in crime, were hanging out in Riddledpleat when this guy dressed in a panda leather robe, and his seven merry dwarves show up. Quite an unusual sight in these parts, so we decided to investigate, which could not have been any easier.  The dwarves and panda-boy talked so loud to each other that after a few hours, anyone in town knew they were going to Silverywind to pillage its treasures. What a bunch of idiots.

We decide to prepare an ambush for them for when they return, somewhere along the coast halfway between Riddledpleat and Silverywind, quite a lot safer than following them into that cursed fog, or the ruins of Silverywind itself. I guess you can read in this diary what Panda-Boy was up to in the meantime.
So after waiting for a couple of days, Panda boy shows up as expected, carrying a bag filled with loot. Even better, the dwarves are nowhere to be seen except for this one dwarf that looks like his mind has left him weeks ago.

We emerge from our hiding place, while our leader, Mater steamyhums does his usual introduction:
Tell them it was the dates of peach, if you live! followed by the usual nonsense and bragging about his kills. Just when I fear Mater is going to bore panda-boy to death something unusual happens. My eyes are suddenly drawn to the strange amulet our victim is wearing, the amulet suddenly starts to glow bright purple. Looking to my left, I suddenly see Mater stop halfway his speech. He clutches his chest and collapses to the ground:
Mater Steamyhums has died of old age!

I can not believe this just happened..  That artifact, I must have it!
While I contemplate the powers of this artifact, Osman storms towards Panda Boy, who was fumbling with an iron crossbow. I do not think I have ever seen anyone so unskilled in the art. Meanwhile I take out my silver whip, and finish off the pitiful, brain-dead dwarf. Panda Boy has stopped trying to fire the crossbow, instead he has opted to throw the crossbow itself in Osmans face.  Osman, not the brightest, did not see this coming and is stunned by the blow,
Panda Boy takes out an iron scimitar and cuts of Osman's weapon arm, and then plants the scimitar in his heart. This must all have been more luck than skill, even Panda-boy himself looks surprised by his success. I quickly move in to finish this foolishness, My only fear is that he will use the artifact on me.
I'm sure the idiot would have been able to outrun me if he had chosen to flee, but now that he killed Osman, he seems to think he can take on anything by himself. He tries to stab me with his scimitar but I dance around him, dodging with ease, playing with my victim while waiting for the right moment. One crack of my whip precisely hits a gap in his armor that is covering an old chest wound. Panda boy falls to the ground gasping for air. He then actually manages to surprise me by dodging of behind some trees. I nearly lost sight of him, but the fresh blood trail in the white snow gave him away. A few cracks of the whip finished his pitiful existence.

So, this diary contains a note, telling the finder to send it to a place called the museum if found. I think I might just do that.
It would teach you guys at the museum a thing or two about the kind of idiots you're sending out, and it will help spread word about the dates of peach, the greatest bandit gang that ever roamed the portentous domain!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The save can be found here, it was played on 34.07. I haven't updated to the latest version yet.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6341

The artifact might not be recoverable. I took a screenshot of the quest map when dying, but I realize only now that my position on the map is not marked.
I remember being quite close to the coast, But I don't know where exactly, it was somewhere in the doomed jungles. The fortress in the southeast is Silverywind.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 02:05:55 pm by Bralbaard »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2012, 01:22:35 pm »

Can i have the map? i want to play dwarf fortress on it because it looks awesome.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2012, 01:24:32 pm »

Can i have the map? i want to play dwarf fortress on it because it looks awesome.

Sure, just don't post any spoilers in this thread.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2012, 01:25:39 pm »

ill try not to. i might even watch the posts here. :D
Highly Opinionated Fool

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2012, 02:08:05 pm »

Gah! Bandits are jerks.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2012, 02:34:10 pm »

i did not know that names were affected by reading skill. someone must create a person who is BOSS at reading and at languages so that they can go around and document the names of artifacts and the like.
i also want to build a BIGGER museum with large rooms, a defense system and the like. but then i will have to learn how to use DFdepot
Highly Opinionated Fool

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2012, 03:45:06 am »

Downloading the save now. I'll start today. Not sure how long I'll survive! But hopefully this nice new computer can handle it anyway.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2012, 06:15:34 am »

Here's part 1. Going to make some lunch now, then maybe I'll ignore the beautiful weather outside and play some more!

18 Opal, 1062

My name is Aira Mopsprayed. Three guesses how I got that last name. Normally my parents would have made sure I got a good one, but I don't got any parents. At least those jerks gave me my name before the other kids knocked out a couple of my teeth. I figure it could be worse.

So I'm not that pretty. And I'm not that smart. I don't know nothing about stuff like music and art and all that. And I can't read. But why would I need to read anyway? Can't write, though, so I can't keep one of those journals all the others have. And I don't got any friends, and I'm not exactly popular, am I? That's why I have you, Meep.

You've got to be my friend and listen to my story so no one forgets me.

I've got to tell someone that not everything about me is worthless.

For example, I'm pretty quick. I can run around and run away better than the other kids. They may know how to use weapons and stuff 'cause their parents taught them, but I can run away better than anyone else around here. And I can sneak around pretty good too, and I can hit someone in the head with a rock without them even knowing it was me. These are the kinds of things you learn when you got no friends and no one teaches you how to fight.

I live in Twinklemansions

which is a stupid little hamlet with a stupid name and it's full of stupid people who are always telling me how stupid I am.

There's one person who's nice to me though. Probly because he's just a fish cleaner and no one likes him either. He doesn't have any family, like me. His name is Muthro Copperscribes. He got a way better name than me but it's okay, I don't care, it's just a name. Today I asked him if he wants to come with me to the capital, that's Dinnerwandered and it's really close to here, and sneak around with me because at least stuff there is more interesting than here. He said ok, I didn't think he would but there he is over there, looking kind of bored and cleaning his dirty fingernails with that fish knife of his.

So he's gonna come with us Meep, I hope you don't mind too much. Don't worry, I like you better than him anyway.

So I guess we're gonna get some sleep now and then head to Dinnerwandered. I have a feeling maybe something cool will happen, and then all the jerks in Twinklemansions can shut up and stop calling me names.

19 Opal, 1062

Hi Meep. It's time to go now, to Dinnerwandered. It's pretty close, so it shouldn't take long to get there.

(later)

You know, Meep, Dinnerwandered's not looking so great these days. So many buildings are just abandoned and falling apart. What a dump. I should come here sometime in the middle of the night with some wood and stuff and build a giant fort for me and you to hang out. Wouldn't that be awesome?

I could be the queen, and you could be my knight, and we'd rule the whole crumbling rotting kingdom!

Anyway, right now we're gonna go sneak around in the keep. I haven't been here for a while, but I heard they built something new in there, a thing called a "museum." I heard a couple of guys talking about it in Twinklemansions the other day. Basically it sounds like a really scary place full of vampires and bones and old papers and other stuff. Sounds like something we have to go check out, doesn't it? Maybe I could sneak in there and take something valuable and bring it back to Twinklemansions and then everyone would have to be nice to me because I'd be rich and they're all still stupid and poor.

Wow, I'm rich already! Okay, well maybe not rich, but still, I'm not some stupid poor peasant anymore am I? And we're not even all the way inside the keep yet! Okay meep, you keep an eye on the money and keep quiet, I'm gonna sneak in there and see what's going on.

(later)

Hmm... Did you hear what that guy said, Meep? The Pikeman over there. You have to pay better attention! He says this is a place where adventurers bring valuable stuff, then they get famous and they're remembered forever and they can live here in the capital as heroes! Anyone can do it, they just have to go get something valuable! Too bad for most people they're too stupid and lazy and they just stand around all day being jerks.

Mostly it just looks like a collection of bones and skin and teeth and hair and books and a few other random things. It couldn't be that hard to find something better than this, right?

So I asked this guy if he knows anywhere good for finding this valuable stuff, and he told me there's a rumor about some abandoned old cave thing dug by dwarfs and there's probably all kinds of treasure there! He said it's called Shootplunges and I've decided, Meep, we're going! Muthro can come too and this pikeman, his name is Mastrod, he said he was planning to go adventuring anyway so he'll come with us! And he knows how to fight and everything.

I seriously can't imagine how anyone could stop us now. Meep, we're going to be famous!

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2012, 12:20:59 pm »

I love the unique perspective.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2012, 12:37:23 pm »

Indeed, great writing!
And I see there's more to read in the links in your sig (click, click, click..)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2012, 12:59:54 pm »

Thanks guys. :) It's been a while since I did any proper DF writing. There were advantages to not having a life! But now I have quite a busy one, leaving painfully little time for my beloved dorfs. I'm trying to make a bit more time for it lately though. It's good writing practice, good mental stimulation, and certainly better for my brain than watching cartoons and drinking beer. :)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2012, 01:06:48 pm »

ROCK!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 162