Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 781462 times)

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure item quest (adventure succession game)
« Reply #180 on: June 19, 2012, 06:58:35 pm »

I would prefer to start with demigods or at least heroes. I don't see any benefit to making everyone use peasants - even demigods have a generally pretty depressingly short life expectancy and a peasant has almost no chance unless really incredibly lucky. Being a peasant just reduces the chances of survival dramatically as well as adding a lot more grinding time to the beginning before you can attempt anything interesting.

Also, turns would go faster if everyone didn't make a fortress after their adventurer dies or succeeds and retires. I think the actual adventuring part doesn't take too long. Maybe we should make a shorter time limit to keep things moving and give people more chances, or limit the number of fortresses that should be made (to save both time and file space - it's already a pretty big save).

In any case, I still think it's fun. I didn't have high hopes for success - adventurer games in general tend not to last too long for me, and half the time spent on them is just spent leveling up throwing and ambushing before I get into any real fights. I'm planning to start up another similar (though distinctly different) adventurer succession game, hopefully this week, if you don't mind me borrowing the idea and tweaking it a bit. I like the idea of adventurer succession games, and it would be good to have more of them around, with different rules and options for each one.

I spent my time at dinnerwandered choking vampire cultists for hours.

Also can I get slot 29? I will just replay my character from before... of course if by that time my character hasn't died of old age...
also its still peasants right? Of course I could just make a peasant who can read who is the "child" of my character or grand child... 29 turns is alot of time not to mention with all the years spent in fortress.

Edit: I am going to play with the map on my peasant If I can upload the map before the next person starts that would be amazing... I might just go to my Fortress and see how things go out

Edit 2: Took me 15 minutes to download it I expect in the future it will need to be made into a torrent due to size haha

Edit 3: My character has a dwarf bone crown and gloom freak earring and an amulet
I choose to believe the dwarf bone crown was made from dakost's corpse to honor his sacrifice
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 07:58:27 pm by Kromgar »

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 19, 2012, 07:16:21 pm »

Googly! I took two steps and an undead hippo killed me.... gah. Not even worth me setting up a save to pass on. NEXT player.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 20, 2012, 01:12:52 pm »

Another short adventure. Without a new download nobody will be able to take revenge on that undead hippo and his deeds will go unpunished. 
If no other events have happened that may not be a big issue.

Also can I get slot 29? I will just replay my character from before... of course if by that time my character hasn't died of old age...
also its still peasants right? Of course I could just make a peasant who can read who is the "child" of my character or grand child... 29 turns is alot of time not to mention with all the years spent in fortress.

Edit: I am going to play with the map on my peasant If I can upload the map before the next person starts that would be amazing... I might just go to my Fortress and see how things go out

Edit 2: Took me 15 minutes to download it I expect in the future it will need to be made into a torrent due to size haha

Edit 3: My character has a dwarf bone crown and gloom freak earring and an amulet
I choose to believe the dwarf bone crown was made from dakost's corpse to honor his sacrifice

We will stick to the official turn order, especially with the number of people that are patiently waiting. Feel free to play on the map in your own time though, just don't post any spoilers about map features here.

I'll reserve spot 29 for you. You can of course  pick up your old character (but not the character of another person). The rules have changed a bit, you can also start as a hero now, but I guess your old character will have better stats than that at this moment.

I've send peregarrett a PM
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 01:24:38 pm by Bralbaard »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 21, 2012, 01:37:43 am »

Wow, it's my turn already! Downloading the save, but not sure if I'll be able to play today.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 21, 2012, 09:43:51 am »

I would like to join! This sounds like fun!
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 22, 2012, 05:12:44 am »

Oops.
Sorry, guys, real life issues ban me from playing now. Drop me a few turns down in list, if possible.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 22, 2012, 02:49:19 pm »

No problem, I dropped you a few places, but it's hard to guess how long turns will take. If your turn comes up to quickly let me know.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 22, 2012, 07:23:35 pm »

Got the save. Expect a report soon.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 23, 2012, 02:56:08 am »

The journal of Nine Shovelmurders, Elf

CHAPTER ONE: HOW WE QUIT THE FOREST

14 Hematite: Things have come to a head. Perhaps I was wrong to eat flesh with the dwarven traders, animal flesh cooked on a wood fire. But I cannot help who I am, and I was not born in the tree cities but in the far west, where elves walk with their heads bowed among the conquering men, serving at their tables and eating their leavings.

My mother was a freewoman, but only in name; she kept the old ways, but when I was a tiny girl, barely breeched, she sold me to pay her debts and handed me smiling to the indenture-agent. (Go! My dearest, this man is a friend and he will take you to a school where you will be with other children! except, no, he was not a friend.) I know nothing about my father but I presume that from him I got my scarlet hair and my temper. At age 12 I took a shovel to milady's lazy-eyed chambermaid for taking my tortoiseshell comb- my only memento of mother, treasured above my actual memories of her.

The wretch died and I would have too- an elf's life is in her master's hands, and for an elf to strike a human is death- but instead I was traded again. Not to a brothel, as I had expected, but to a mine. For six years I worked in the tin mines, first tending the animals that pushed the carts, then sorting through slag heaps for the tiny cassiterite gems they call spangles, and finally swinging a pick. Though we elves do not tire as fast as humans do, we are not suited to strenuous work, and it was mostly dwarven captives who broke rocks beside me. From the dwarves I learned to drink, to defend myself, and the rudiments of their language and letters.

Four years later, the mine was raided by the elves who live in the forests south of the Glad Seas, the larger of the two great inland oceans. They were looking for bronze for weapons and armor- the wild elves make no metal themselves- and they carried off all the elven prisoners. But I was not at home with them; their flowing speech was clumsy on my tongue, their moralistic fables seemed inane and their druids' songs left me cold; after a life of hard labor, I became restless after only a few months of leisure. When dwarf merchants passed through our forest I snuck out to greet them- an elf will not speak to a dwarf on the road since they use wooden wagons, but I grew up among the rumble of minecarts and have no such qualms. They said that they were going to Dinnerwandered to sell diamond-inlaid armor and some peculiar bones to a count who cherishes exotic crafts and oddities of all kinds. Perhaps I intended to return and travel with them; perhaps not; but in any case only hours after I returned to the grove, a war band returned bearing the choicest cuts from their hairy kills, and the druids insisted that I either eat with the conquering heroes or face immediate exile

I moved on.

15 Hematite: Dinnerwandered is far to the northeast, I know that much. Travelling eastward, I crossed a wide river and entered a pathless forest choked with stinging plants and strange purple trees. I was attacked first by a band of kobolds and then by a coati that whose clumsy swipes would have been comical had they not instead been rendered horrifying by the creature's rotting stench, exposed ribs and lolling head. I pushed onward, but reaching a rocky and waterless wasteland, I turned north, resolving to travel instead through the open country along the western shore of the Glad Seas.

17 Hematite, Afternoon: Through the heat haze and far off I saw buildings clustered on a low dune overlooking the inland sea. Closer in, it was clear that the hamlet was long abandoned; what timbers still stood sagged from decades of rot. Farther off, elephants trumpeted to one another among the ruins.

I moved on.

17 Hematite, Evening:
A few miles along the coast I came to Dwellingclans; again, only ruins, without a scrap of clothing or flake of bone. As I pondered the fate of this village's builders, it suddenly occurred to me that earlier that morning I must have crossed unaware into the Hills of Murdering.

A chill ran down my spine. Night was falling fast. I found the most intact structure, a damp wreck whose collapse had been partly checked by the sturdier wars it shared with its neighbors. Building fires at the two gaps in the walls, I settled in for an uneasy night. No moon could be seen in the sky, and the rising wind rushed through cracks in the walls, whipping the flames into thin  ropes and casting foreboding shadows on the filthy walls.

18 Hematite, Early morning: I woke suddenly with the perfect awareness that the wind had died. Around me was blackness and silence; not a star could be seen between the few remaining roof-beams. It was still long before dawn. The fires had dwindled to embers, tiny lines of red light. But there were more than two- outside the walls, other red pinpricks were moving. I leaped to my feet and threw logs on the fire, blowing on the embers to make them light. Suddenly eery howling laughter seemed to be everywhere and a huge grey shape bounded over the walls and fell among my unpacked belongings; stumbling upright again, it unfurled two huge wings and beat up into the air, rising to just above the level of the roof. It was a bogeyman!

I unsheathed my knife and flailed at the beast; my knife met bone but the creature seemed not to notice, and its cruel talons raked my face. Grapping its legs, I tore it from the air; it fell heavily on top of me and I plunged my knife into the monster's belly again and again. My leg was in its jaws and even as its breath faltered it gnawed as though it thought to devour me alive before succumbing. Too late! The creature was dead.

Limping, I set to feeding the fires. The room was filled with choking smoke, but the flames rose as high as I dared let them go without setting the building's sodden timbers alight. The insane laughter was still all around but it had assumed a lower, less frantic pitch- perhaps the brutes had taken the death of their fellow to heart? I heard no wingbeats; looking up, I realized that the sky was lightening. Dawn was breaking, and the bogeymen were moving off flowing into holes or creeping into caves, perhaps; hiding themselves away from the sun's killing light. Suddenly aware of how mortally tired my ordeal had made me, I slipped into a dreamless sleep.

When I woke the sun was overhead and the fires were ashes. The gash on my leg had clotted over, but the leg now felt stiff and swollen. I moved on.

18 Hematite, Afternoon: With no natural outlet, the Glad Seas were never the freshest body of water. Nonetheless, as I moved further up the coast the rotten odor seemed to take on new depths of unsavoriness. Climbing a small bluff, I saw that stretched out before me me a vastbay, ringed on three sides by a town. Rows of low black buildings stretched out in every direction, smoke from cooking fires rose in high pillars in windless noonday air. But there were few such pillars, few fires. No road led me to this city; the fields that I crossed were wild, unplanted and unplowed. This city was clearly dying, but unlike every other non-elven settlement that I had seen, it was not yet completely dead.

The town was unwalled and rose gradually from wilderness that surrounded it. For the first time in my life, I saw stone buildings and paved roads- but the roads were torn up and the stone buildings falling down- crumbling and empty, but not fallen, not a total ruin like Dwellingclans. Dwarven stonecraft? Lifeless, empty; even a few inhabitants would have left footprints, wagon ruts, garbage, but there was none. Every building was empty.

Rising from the center of the wreckage was what seemed to me to be a virtual mountain of black slate- a fortress. Ragged banners streamed from the gates; their markings were unknown to me, but chiseled into the rock were the dwarven runes EKULSIM. Chainedname. The portcullis was raised, and I entered the fortress unchallenged.

Unchallenged, but not unnoticed. On the ramparts, a flicker of motion. I raised my arm and shouted Lun Babin!, but received no response. Entering the nearest guard tower (the stench! clearly someone had relieved themselves here in the not-distant past), I climbed to the parapet. A stocky figure rushed to meet me, but not in greeting! What I had taken for a dwarven guard was a goblin thief, and his only thought was to get past me and make good his escape. Seeing that I blocked his path, he drew a knife, and received one of my kobold arrows through his eye for his troubles.

In the keep I found only a few miserable belongings, piles of worn clothing and cheap trinkets that the thief had laboriously picked from the ruins. The fires that I had seen from the bluff were surely his comrades-in-arms, scavengers looting a ghost town that had been sacked and robbed of all valuables decades before. A hatchway on the ground floor of the keep indicated more rooms below, but it struck me that exploring a dark dungeon in a dead city being systematically ransacked by goblins was unlikely to prove fruitful.

I moved on.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 03:05:05 am by Niyazov »

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 23, 2012, 07:38:13 am »

Excellent story so far.
But what sane person would ever go through a place called the hills of murdering? 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 23, 2012, 09:59:08 am »

The legendary abilities of the museum champions show again.
I Hope Niyazov survives and bring something.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 23, 2012, 11:13:06 am »

That's a nice narrative. Here's hoping Nine survives her journey. An elf, but an elf that I don't immediately want to kill.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 23, 2012, 02:40:57 pm »

Great story.. even better because a lot of the terrain you traveled is familiar to me, I passed many of those places while traveling south from the museum to Silverywind. Be carefull in the larval starvation desert if you happen to take that route, that place nearly killed me.

But what sane person would ever go through a place called the hills of murdering? 

Those hills stretch all the way to Dinnerwandered, if I remember correctly, the museum is build in the hills of murdering.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 02:57:02 pm by Bralbaard »

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 23, 2012, 04:20:43 pm »

The Journal of Nine Niyatharathi Emeada Athe (Nine Shovelmurders the Eternal Berry of Rock), Elf

CHAPTER TWO: INTO THE NORTH

18 Hematite. Mounted above a doorway as I left the keep was a surprising find- a copper pick, clearly of dwarven make, a relic of some crumbled heraldic display. Its familiar weight is comforting in my hands. Night comes quickly in these parts, and I elected to spend the night barricaded up in a room in the empty keep; it would be some time before I would have a chance to sleep with a roof above my head again.

19 Hematite. Every village I passed was a flame-gutted shell. I felt terribly exposed in this open country, and redoubled my pace. The Hills of Murdering were clearly the site of some horrible conquest in the distant past, although I can only speculate about who the conquerors and conquered might have been. What evidence I saw in Chainedname suggested that this was a dwarven land, although my companions in the mine had held out that no true dwarf would ever willingly make his home above ground. Perhaps these dwarves were not the true deep-dwellers, but some degraded tribe of hill dwarves? If so, did their unnatural way of life contribute to their eventual decline?

The sand and tall grasses gave way to exposed limestone outcrops and stands of thorny trees. I was entering the Massive Brave Forests, the tropical jungles that skirt the northern shore of the Glad Seas. The birds that circled overhead were huge, far larger than the bogeyman i fought in the circle of flames; their calls strangely deep-pitched, reverberating in throats wide enough to admit a human head. Not for the first time, I gave thanks to my people's secret pact with the beasts since time immemorial, even as I shot one down and gorged myself on its stringy flesh. If animals choose to not flee me the way they do the other races, then that is their business; but if I kill and eat them, then it is their own fault for trusting me. For my part, I will never trust another living soul; never.

I must make camp in on the northern shore of the sea tonight, though it pains me extremely to do so knowing that I may be attacked again. I will build a double circle of fires.

20 Hematite, Morning. The dwarves whose deaths set me on this journey told me that the estuary of the great northern river that flows into the Glad Seas is overlooked by a great castle. I do not know who is lord there, or if it is a gutted hulk like every other dwelling place that I have passed in my journey; welcomed or not, I will lay my head to rest tonight within its walls. I cannot bear the thought of sleeping among these oppressive trees again.

20 Hematite, Noon. The fortress of Honustredac, "Bluntprince", was an impressive sight. Its blue kimberlite walls rose from the forest like a cliff of water, a tidal wave frozen in stone. Frozen in time, too, for this fortress is long abandoned by its human builders; honey badgers root for grubs in the overgrown parade grounds, and great chunks of the masonry walls lie fallen within the dusty keep. If some war or massacre dislodged the princes who dwelt here, I will never know, for they left no physical evidence of their passing. Roaches scurried away before my footsteps as I walked through the empty keep, marveling at the grotesque statues of demon rats, beetles, and forgotten beasts. Clearly the lords of Bluntprince had more savage tastes than the men among whom I came of age.

In a nickel cage near the top of the keep I find a huge cache of clothing and armor. The clothes are faded tissue that crumble at my touch, and the armor deeply corroded. The men who lived here must have been veritable giants; it is all far too large for me, though of exquisite make. I select an iron shield, a shark leather quiver and a waterskin from the pile and sleep soundly among the belongings of dead men.

21 Hematite, Dawn: I killed an elephant. I don't know why. Its vast liquid eyes registered only surprise as I buried my pick in its throat. I bound its fleshless skull to my pack with twine and moved on.

I follow the course of the river north, killing animals as I go. I don't know why I do this- perhaps I feel that I must justify myself when I reach Dinnerwandered, that I must present some gift to my host. I hope that the lord of Dinnerwandered likes skulls, since that's what he's going to get.

Soon the forest gives way to grasslands and rolling ridges; mountains rise on the horizon. I have returned to the Hills of Murdering. The high peaks that I see far off are the Muddy Fingers. On the far side of them is my destination.

21 Hematite, Afternoon: I do not like the look of those mountains. On their high peaks I see white cascades, moving improbably slow. Avalanches. I will skirt the mountains to the north. In doing so, I must pass through a dwarf fortress - Legendfountains. The dwarves told me that this fortress is open and welcoming; a friendly stop on their caravan routes. A welcome change, then. Night is falling as I reach its outskirts.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 04:33:55 pm by Niyazov »

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 23, 2012, 05:08:55 pm »

The Journal of Nine Niyatharathi Emeada Athe (Nine Shovelmurders the Eternal Berry of Rock), Elf

CHAPTER 3: PATHWAYS INTO DARKNESS

21 Hematite, Evening: The first thing that I notice on entering Legendfountains are the teeth. Hundreds of water buffalo teeth carpet the ground. Unless I have entered into some sort of bovine dentistry, I can only presume that this indicates a pastoral inclination on the part of the dwarves who live here. Livestock skeletons are scattered everywhere.

Two sturdy figures stand by a barrel in a field, apparently oblivious to the carnage around them. I hail them in the dwarven tongue and the urge me to share their ale with them.

The two dwarves are Kol and Vucar, husband and wife and respectively militia commander and captain in Legendfountains.

I resist the urge to note that I have killed two honey badgers in just the seven days that I have been travelling, since he seems proud of his accomplishment. I head inside.

The entrance to the mountain halls is controlled by a small fort. I note approvingly the multiple l drawbridges- clearly, the dwarves of Legendfountains take their safety seriously. Unfortunately, this diligence does not extend to hygeine; in the grassless courtyard I find more skeletons, teeth, and refuse.
Beneath the first drawbridge is a maze of twisty little passages, all alike except for the occasional broken barrel or dog skeleton. I am quickly hopelessly lost.

Then I find the dead body. A dwarf, this time. My blood runs cold. What have I gotten myself into?

At the end of the labyrinth is a downward staircase, leading deep into the earth. I descend until I reach a rubble-choked passage, blessedly straight. Suddenly exhausted, I collapse into unconsciousness in the encircling darkness.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 162