Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 777113 times)

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure item quest (adventure succession game)
« Reply #195 on: June 23, 2012, 05:57:04 pm »

The Journal of Nine Niyatharathi Emeada Athe (Nine Shovelmurders the Eternal Berry of Rock), Elf

CHAPTER 4: THOSE WHO STARE INTO THE ABYSS

At the end of the maze I found neither treasure nor peril, but rather a somewhat smallish, disorderly, and foul-smelling fortress. Here I found no forges, no armories, no great works of craftsmanship; the tiny workshops sat abandoned. In the shadows, squatting dwarves giggled and scratched strange figures in the dust, apparently oblivious to me. Passing an empty mason's workshop, I notice several statues in various degrees of completion. Their workmanship was crude and their subject matter universally revolting, revolving around the gruesome slaughter of kobolds.

In the darkened great hall, strewn with bones and rotting gobbets of unidentifiable animal flesh, I found a baby playing contentedly with a kobold skull, It gurgled with pleasure as it gummed the grisly relic.

I had seen enough. I realized what the animal carcasses, the unburied dead, and the filthy warren beneath the entrance had reminded me of- a kobold nest! I had heard of this sort of thing before- of dwarves abandoning their old traditions and taking up those of the kobolds- but had never expected to see it with my own eyes.

The statue in the center of the great hall confirmed my suspicions.

I had heard of this monster before- of the infamous Logic, who drank vampire blood and fought kobolds until his mind snapped and he began to think that he was one of them. Clearly I had stumbled upon a nest of his devotees. These dwarves were not friends, but a sick kobold-cult! I fled into the Hills of Murdering, deeply shocked by what I had seen.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 23, 2012, 09:26:36 pm »

The Journal of Nine Niyatharathi Emeada Athe (Nine Shovelmurders the Eternal Berry of Rock), Elf

CHAPTER 5: THE MUSEUM

22 Hematite, evening: Bodystead is a large port town on the Ashen Ocean, due west of Dinnerwandered. Like everywhere else in this blasted land, it is ruined and empty, but in the keep I saw evidence that other travellers had passed through here before me.

23 Hematite, morning:
It seems that this country is not so empty as it appears.

Well, that was certainly memorable. In the ensuing battle, I am struck with several arrows. My lack of armor has become a serious liability, and I resolve to correct this as soon as I can.

23 Hematite, afternoon: I arrived at last in the great city of Dinnerwandered. Though the city has certainly seen better days, in comparison to the other places I've been in my journey it seemed to be in good repair, with comparatively few collapsed buildings or wild animals wandering around.

There were even a few stores open, although I excused myself quickly upon entering this one since it appeared to have recently been the site of some sort of horrible murder.

A guard at the keep surveys me sternly. "If you've come bearing tribute for our lord, you have come in vain; he was murdered several years ago. Before his death, he ordered that this castle be maintained in perpetuity as a museum of curiousities from every corner of the Occult Continents. What have you brought me?

"Animal skulls..." He frowns. "... and this!"

The guards gasp. 'Our lord's masterwork knife! Surely it deserves a place of honor here!" I neglect to mention that I had just found it lying outside. "I am happy to donate everything I have to the museum, yet I still feel that I have not brought enough. If I bring more treasures here, may I have leave to stay in the empty rooms upstairs?" "By all means! Make yourself at home, elf; we get so few visitors these days and the town is emptying out now that Lord Despairdaub can no longer protect these people." "I need armor, armor that will fit me." "There are many dwarven fortresses in this valley. Come, I will mark them on your map. Surely one of them will have gear that will fit your frame."

From the castle armory I select a superb gem-encrusted bronze pick, setting aside my copper one. I will need every advantage that I can get in the days that are ahead. It is clear that these men lack for leadership, and their city suffers for it. At dawn I will leave for Lakelancers, to scavenge for armor and food. I am going to bring this keep back into fighting shape.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 09:28:32 pm by Niyazov »

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 24, 2012, 04:58:22 am »

great storytelling. I love Nines adventures so far.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 24, 2012, 12:02:45 pm »

Anyone knows a good place to get armor? It seems everybody is adventuring in socks.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 24, 2012, 05:48:22 pm »

Anyone knows a good place to get armor? It seems everybody is adventuring in socks.

You can get good human-sized armor in any keep. The problem is that Nine is an elf and human armor won't fit her, so I'm hoping that at least one of the previous players managed to make some dwarf armor.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 24, 2012, 06:18:06 pm »

-redacted-
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 07:44:13 pm by Niyazov »

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 24, 2012, 07:43:45 pm »

CHAPTER 6: TIME'S ARROW

24 Hematite, evening. The castle guards jumped at my suggestion that we make a sortie for supplies; their lives have been aimless of late; their general died only last month, and it seems that none of them had the appropriate rank to step forward and take his place.. At the advice of my companions, I have decided that we will first make for Tongsrace, a dwarven outpost  in the southwest that was founded within the last decade but has apparently been abandoned for unknown reasons. I am expecting an uneventful visit given that every other abandoned site that I've seen in my travels has been relatively benign.

We pass a battlefield littered with human corpses. Their garb is all the same, suggesting a one-sided slaughter; their dessicated faces are unknown to my companions but their purses are filled with coins recently-minted within the borders of Omon Woge, the realm once ruled from Dinnerwandered by the vampire lord Teshil Despairdaub. Since his death (so my guides tell me), the empire has dissolved into warring fiefdoms ruled by the emperor's former vassals.

To my shock, the face on the coins is familiar to me- a face that I first saw on a hideous statue in the stinking pit of Legendfountains- the  notorious Logic Legendfinder!

"Oh, I remember that one", pipes up a grizzled oldster, squinting at the silver coin. "He passed through around 20 years ago, back when the old laird still lived. A very ambitious, active fellow he were, too; he killed the dragon Uslot Flareglows, which pleased the emperor so kindly that he granted him a deed of lands out east somewhere. A fort and a couple of hamlets. Seem's he's setting himself up as a king these days, if these coins are anything to go by." He absentmindedly bites the silver disc. "Adult'rated. Should've guessed. All these petty kings are the same, flash and procession on the outside but no innate nobility, no divine sanction, no ability to command mens' loyalty except for pay- fat lot of good it did these saps here. That's why our general, Komo Gleefulcuts, never pledged to any of them, and why we still guard the ramparts in Dinnerwandered. Komo was a great man- he fought off the werebeast Amxu Spiderdog when she seemed  poised to overrun Wandercanyons- but he died of old age  only a  month before your arrival."

"And you say that your emperor- the cave fish man vampire- had noble, divine sanction?"

"Aye, he were a proper king, that one. The last this world will ever see."

"What makes you say that?"

"The world is dying, bairn; can't ye see? Abandoned cities everywhere; roads grown over and night creatures everywhere with none to put them down. There's no children been born these past 20 years and more, anywhere, except among the dwarves. Men leave their planted fields and turn to banditry, or hang themselves, or make deals with demons, or fall upon their own family members like wolves, biting and tearing. The last with the true noble blood have died and there's none to take their place, and the world will soon pass into another age."

"That can't be true! In the Conderacies of God I saw scores of human and elf babies! And in the forest retreats..."

"Child, I don't know much of the ways of the elves, and I suspect you don't neither, but I do know a little about history. I heard you talking with Vanod last night. You were born among the men in the west, in the Confederacies of God? The queen you named as ruling has been dead some 200 years now, and most of the bishoprics overrun by goblins. We heard of the burning of Budopictham when I was a wee child, and you said you were born there when it was a great city.  If what you told Vanod is true, you must have been born around 860-someth..."

"That's mad! If I had lived 200 years I would remember it! I'm only 18!"

"And how many of those 18 years did you spend in the forest retreats, hm? You mark me, child; your kind have foreseen the end; they smoked it long before we did, and they made arrangements that you ken nothing of. When I was a lad we saw the mountain elves pass through Dinnerwandered on their way to the Land of Amethysts, a great procession, barefoot the whole way and harried at every step by the woods-elves. In the forest retreats the wood-elves made a secret pact with some power or other, and time is not the same there. You did right to leave that fools' paradise, but the world beyond the woods will not have much more for you, soon enough. You will never know motherhood, nor lasting love, nor a peaceful death among friends. In another 50 years my kind will all be dead, the dwarves dug under, and the elves locked away from you forever; and if you live, it will be just you, child; you, the goblins, and the beasts of the field until the end of the world."
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 07:48:53 pm by Niyazov »

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 24, 2012, 08:12:09 pm »

Excellent storytelling. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 26, 2012, 10:37:24 pm »

Wow, this is all collectively awesome.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 28, 2012, 04:52:37 am »

Glorious, niyazov, plase survive and continue the story.
Dammn, i am growing impatient for my turn, the story is awesome. I just expect not to die in the first ten seconds, like some did.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:55:08 am by Broken »
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Sarlare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 28, 2012, 11:35:12 am »

Loving this so far, can't wait to see the next entries!

On a side note, what program / method did you use to create that "artistic" map of the continent, Bralbaard? Quite impressive work!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 28, 2012, 01:36:33 pm »

Loving this so far, can't wait to see the next entries!

On a side note, what program / method did you use to create that "artistic" map of the continent, Bralbaard? Quite impressive work!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I used photoshop (I got a free copy from work). It's an exported map from legends mode, If I remember correctly I mainly fiddled with the hue and levels settings. I selected and edited the ocean in a different layer because the settings that made the mainland look good, messed up the ocean and the other way around.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 28, 2012, 05:31:42 pm »

Glorious, niyazov, plase survive and continue the story.
Dammn, i am growing impatient for my turn, the story is awesome. I just expect not to die in the first ten seconds, like some did.

Nine Shovelmurders' journey comes to an end tomorrow...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 28, 2012, 05:40:55 pm »

the land of amethysts looks like Australia.
and i cant spell.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 30, 2012, 11:37:29 am »

oops, make that this evening
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 162