Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 781492 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure item quest (adventure succession game)
« Reply #210 on: July 01, 2012, 03:20:04 pm »

Any news yet? I'm looking forward to the update.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 01, 2012, 06:28:50 pm »

I regret to say that Nine Shovelmurders died a violent, pointless death far from home.

I didn't make a fort.

Here's the save.

Sorry if this was a bit anticlimactic.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 01, 2012, 06:49:31 pm »

We don't get to hear the horrible manner in which she was disemboweled? :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 01, 2012, 10:43:21 pm »

O.o
It was going so well...
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 02, 2012, 04:32:39 am »

We want all the details? What kind of horiible death did she suffer? We HAVE to know. Someone has to loot tonsgrace, after all.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 02, 2012, 01:38:09 pm »

Indeed, what happened?

Also, what is your submission for the museum, If I remember correctly you dropped a dagger and a collection of animal skulls there, I assume the animal skulls are your submission? I'll PM the next person in line.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 02, 2012, 02:18:24 pm »

I, too, wish to know what happened.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 02, 2012, 06:13:33 pm »

Indeed, what happened?

Also, what is your submission for the museum, If I remember correctly you dropped a dagger and a collection of animal skulls there, I assume the animal skulls are your submission? I'll PM the next person in line.

There were only one or two animal skulls when I returned there after a brief foray, I'm not sure what happened to the rest. The dagger is my submission, I guess.

Nine and her 10 companions were ambushed and murdered by bandits on their way to Tongsrace. I suspect that they were in Logic's employ, and he took exception to Nine's aspirations to a leadership role in Dinnerwandered.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 02, 2012, 06:14:57 pm »

This world doesn't like adventurers, it seems. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 02, 2012, 06:15:41 pm »

This world doesn't like adventurers, it seems.

Name one that does.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #220 on: July 02, 2012, 11:39:53 pm »

I'm pretty burned out on fortress mode, but I think A mode will be a nice change of pace. To mix it up, I'm going to run as a elf, and hope AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE will help me in some way.

(and if I die, I'm curious if its acceptable to tweak the raws so I can build a Goblin Tower or Elf Retreat instead of a fortress; it won't affect gameplay, though last time I ran an elf retreat, I did have to add some labors to make it actually playable).

Downloading now ...

EDIT 2: Bralbaard, do you know roughly on the map where you lost the amulet? I'm tempted to try and find it and make sure it makes it to the muesum Never mind, found it in the thread.

EDIT 3: The save appears to be corrupted. Won't load in 34.11 Scratch that, appears to be a problem with the directories in the 7-zip. Trying to fix. (for the future, can we please avoid 7z files? No offense, but they're a serious headache on Mac/Linux :-( )

Ok, I've started my turn, but I accidently started on the far side of the map (northwest corner), so the beginning is just going to be me trying to REACH the museum.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:28:10 am by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 03, 2012, 12:31:18 am »

It's a long walk from Silverywind back to the museum, but here's some information.

I did a search using the old save, and my memory of the location, and was able to locate my body, I'll post the location below. There is one issue though, it seems the artifact is not on my corpse, nor is the gold crown I collected. I think this is because my computer was highly unstable at the time, causing DF to crash occasionally. I think I must have accidently continued from a savegame after a crash in which I had not yet picked up the artifact, this means the item is likely still in Silverywind. If the artifact is not in Silverywind, I don't know where it is. Imagine how stupid I would have looked if I had walked all the way back to the museum, only to realize I had forgotten the artifact..  :-)
(Edit: there is actually a bug in DF where artifacts disappear in adventure mode unless still in your hands or in the workshop or chest you found it in, so that is the likely cause) 

Here is the location of my corpse:

It's fine if you change the raws when building a fortress, as long as you change them back before uploading your turn, and as long as the stability of the savegame is not affected.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 04:38:07 am by Bralbaard »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #222 on: July 03, 2012, 12:56:14 am »

It's a long walk from Silverywind back to the museum, but here's some information.

I did a search using the old save, and my memory of the location, and was able to locate my body, I'll post the location below. There is one issue though, it seems the artifact is not on my corpse, nor is the gold crown I collected. I think this is because my computer was highly unstable at the time, causing DF to crash occasionally. I think I must have accidently continued from a savegame after a crash in which I had not yet picked up the artifact, this means the item is likely still in Silverywind. If the artifact is not in Silverywind, I don't know where it is. Imagine how stupid I would have looked if I had walked all the way back to the museum, only to realize I had forgotten the artifact..  :-)
Here is the location of my corpse:

It's fine if you change the raws when building a fortress, as long as you change them back before uploading your turn, and as long as the stability of the savegame is not affected.

That's ... unfortunate. Not sure what I'll try for then.

Some sick part of me wants to bring your corpse back as an item though it probably rotted away by now ...

Starting as an elf is weird, I didn't start with any food or drink, which meant I nearly died of starvation from the word go (I started in a desert, I got lucky and managed to kill a vulture just before I would have expired). On the plus side, I did start with a backpack. I'll do the first proper update soonish.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:23:10 am by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #223 on: July 03, 2012, 04:55:05 am »

Journal of Lali Sareveesala, Padfoot:
First Entry

In the years since my exile from the tower, I've made a home for myself on the savannahs in the Whimsical Fields, on the far northwestern edge of the of the Occulet Contentients. Hrm ...

Maybe I should explain first, as whomever finds this won't know my history. I'll flat up and say it; I'm an elf. you know one of those "tree-huggers" that people love to hate. Except, well ... I wasn't raised an elf. You know how goblins love to snatch babies, right? Well, guess what my childhood was like; you know, you are living with your parents, learning the druid ways. Then one day, a bunch of short smelly dudes come, and snatch you away under your parents eyes.

Can't say I remember much of my "first" home, even now, its foggy as hell. Its clear on the otherside of the world anyway, on the Ashen Continent I think; don't remember too much about the trip here. Oh, incase you were expecting "politically correct" elven, think again. I've spent WAY too much with humans to even bother with that crap anymore. Yeah, after the goblins, I lived with the humans. I know, I know, but let me explain.

So when those babysnatchers come, they tell us kids that they're there to save them. You know, from a life of hardship, accidents, you know. They even say they're saving the dwarf youngings from "daycare". Not sure I believe it, but I've heard some DAMN weird things about dwarfs. Hard to know whats true vs. what's not you know?

Right, anyway, on with the story (and no, I'm not a wordsmith by any stretch of the imagination, so don't expect some epic story). So the goblins got me right? They had me hauling goods, playing with the other ones, dealing with accepting the horrors that come with day-to-day goblin life. Then I was traded to another clan, and then again, making long trips across land, across the seas, and through the worst the lands could through at us. Never did see anyone from the retreat after that. You know, looking back, it wasn't all that bad; they never abused me or mistreated me as long as I did what I was told. Even had a few friends, right up until the siege.

You see, the last tower was right on the border with a neighboring dwarven kingdom. And well, after years of being sieged, the dwarves decided that they were going to give the goblins a taste of their own medicine. Pow, boom, down went the front door and 30 angry drunken brutes began slaughtering everything in sight. You might have heard of them so-called 'martial trances?'. Yeah, well, I guess seeing a bunch of kids in rags was enough to send them over the edge. Before I knew what had happened, the militia commander had ordered some of his solders to scoot us up and bring them back to their fortress.

They took back their youngings, and arranged with the humans to send an envoy to bring back their kids. You'd never know it looking at them, but dwarves have some sorta code of honor, even went through the trouble of making sure the other children, you know, the non-dwarven were at least going to be with their own kind. Well, except me.

Whatever corner of the world I was in, there were no elves. We were as far away from any retreat as we could possibly be. I was, what, maybe 10 or 11 at that time. Elves grow slower than everyone else, and in no way in shape to be able to raise me til my adulthood. So they thought, well, aside from being hippies, elves are similar to humans, right?

After a few "offerings", the humans took me with their own back to their town. Don't even remember what its called. I think the idea was to have me travel with the merchants, maybe find a retreat they could kick me off at. That's when I met my human dad, Roger Farnsworth, yeah, I know, funny name for a human. The warlord ordered him to take me on his route til they reached a retreat, and kick me off.

Well, it didn't quite work out like that. Having been separated from elfs for so many years, they said the "stench of goblins, mixed with the blood of dwarves and humaned marred me", or some such bullshit. What a stuck up bunch of idiots. Well, Roger, he was a good man, wasn't willing to abandon me, so I became part of the cavern. People came and went, but Roger was with me the whole time, used to say we'll find a place for me yet, and took it upon himself to teach me the ways of the world, how to watch for stuff and the like.

Well, the years went on, and we just kept travelling together. Fortresses, towns, even a retreat or two, it all blurs together. See, elves, we don't have a concept of "old age", we just keep living til something kills us, but humans? They're lucky if they see 100, 110 tops, and Roger was no spring chicken when I first met him. As the years went on, his time was running shorter and shorter. Soon, he was talking about retiring you know? Find a nice hamlet or something, and build a house, right? And we'd live there together, at least until he passed.

Before we built our home though, we had to make one last load, one that would "set you up for life", as Roger said, to the far corner of Occulet Contentients. So we set off, crossing the vast nothingness between Dinnerwandered, and Combinedtrims, a human fortress. Never made it though.

A vampire, Pena Fernutter, had taken to hunting caverns crossing the desert, and set his sights on us. I remember he went through the freaking guards like they were butter. So I did the only thing I could do.

I ran.

No, I'm not proud of it, but there you have it. Near dead, armed with only a small dagger, and a spear I grabbed before I took off, I made my way across those unforgiving wasted. I had no idea what I was doing at first, but staving, I finally managed to make a kill, and eat something.

Now my elven 'brothers' would claim such an act as barbarian, a disgrace, you know? But you know, in those wastes, I learned something. Its all just a part of life, sometimes you live, and sometimes you become dinner. I chose to live.

I made my way to a hamlet that was supposed to be a stopping point for the wagon, Mirrorstabbed. The local doc helped nurse me back to heath, and in return, I stayed, to do whatever I could to pay these people back. Elves are at peace with wildlife you know, so whenever something ugly came along, I'd take care of it.

I soon earned the nickname "Padfoot" from them, guess they thought it was funny or something.

Eventually went back into the desert,  found Rogers body among the corpses, and buried him on a hillside by the river. Figure he might want to have a view.

I soon learned the truth of the horrors that attacked us ...

I swore to kill whatever killed us, but I'm no warrier. Just a hunter on the edge ...

Though I must admit, I've learned a thing or two since I ended up here.

Its been a few years since pops died now. And I've started having the weirdest dreams. Not really sure what of, but I feel like I'm being drawn back east. Dunno why, but the damn feeling becoming unshakable.

One problem though, crossing the wastes is tandiment to a death sentence. Between here and Dinnerwandereds is a WHOLE lot of nothing. And I thought there was no way in hell I would do it. Except well, fuck, here I am doing it. Or will be shortly. Something tells me that I might find peace, answers, or some sorta nonsense in those far off lands. I've been talking to the few travelers that come through these parts, trying to get some idea what I might find. Eventually, I found someone who had just recently made the trip, and had settled in Mirrorstabbed ...

Tonsgrace. The name sounded familiar; its possible we may have even visited once so many moons ago, you know, me and Roger. Still, the talk of demons gives me pause. The traveler marked it on my map. That is to say, he made an X so far off the map that it might as well been on air.

Still, I'm determined to see this dream, or vision out to its end, whenever it may be. However, to cross the vast nothingness, I need supplies, and I need help. There is a town not far from hear, maybe a two days walk where I can find shopkeepers, and hopefully find vials to store water in. While I intend to walk along the shoreline to prevent dehydration, food and hunting may require going far from the waters edge as we cross, and I best be prepared ...

OOC: I'm not the best writer, but I hope you enjoyed that. Also, Kromgar, what the hell did you do at Tonsgrace! O_O; (I was tempted to explore it, but elves and demons don't usually mix).

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #224 on: July 03, 2012, 06:15:55 am »

Sigh, I just got killed by an extremely unlucky hit (seriously, walked in a door, and blammo, one kit KO; lasher took out my brain). No interest in building a fort, but that was seriously anti-climatic, so I guess this is it for my turn.

Didn't get a screenshot of the "you died" message but will write an update up tomorrow. (I'm especially annoyed since I did a fair bit of grinding, but so it goes); I have a backed up save, so I might write up what might have happened in another thread but meh ...

EDIT: Put me back on the turn list please (I rather try again with another adventure since I died so quick but again, meh).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 06:17:52 am by NCommander »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 162