Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 781953 times)

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure item quest (adventure succession game)
« Reply #240 on: July 05, 2012, 06:12:14 pm »

Are you using Dwarf hack to cheat? With fastdwarf you can speed things quite a while, and there are some other commands which
can help as well. For example, i am planing to use the liquids command to magically create obsidian walls when my turn comes.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #241 on: July 05, 2012, 10:23:58 pm »

Are you using Dwarf hack to cheat? With fastdwarf you can speed things quite a while, and there are some other commands which
can help as well. For example, i am planing to use the liquids command to magically create obsidian walls when my turn comes.

I would have prefered to build my fort all natural, but I might have to concede this to build it in the time limit. I originally started playing as goblins (which is how I learned that migrants didn't work), so I reclaimed my fort-in-progress with dwarvens. That being said, I'll probably toggle on fastdwarf now and hope it helps

EDIT: Ugh, so after queuing upa  ton of smooth/engrave jobs, FPS dropped to 10. Seems having a lot of queued work will cause a FPS meltdown. fastdwarf on is the only way I'll get this done in time.

EDIT 2: Ok, so far so good. I'm going to post a small construction log as when this place is done, in the ingame world, you'll be able to see it from pretty much any point on the Occulet Contient (assuming the world is flat :-)).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 02:11:43 am by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 09, 2012, 02:53:33 pm »

I'm back online, but I will be quite busy for the comming weeks.

Don't forget to return any settings or changes to the raws back to their original state once you upload the file. I'm looking forward to the update, it looks like its quite an ambitious project.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 09, 2012, 08:47:56 pm »

I find i little strange that you didn't have goblin migrants. I had played with them a couple time without problems.
Maybe you selected a dead goblin civ?
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #244 on: July 09, 2012, 11:33:52 pm »

I'm back online, but I will be quite busy for the comming weeks.

Don't forget to return any settings or changes to the raws back to their original state once you upload the file. I'm looking forward to the update, it looks like its quite an ambitious project.

I got sidetracked by RL unfortunately this weekend. I should still be able to finish it, but its 50-50 odds at this point :-/

EDIT: Just to give an idea of how freaking massive this project is, the mountain I'm building on should have collapsed by now :-). (I needed stone. I needed a *lot* of stone*
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 11:59:46 pm by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #245 on: July 10, 2012, 01:11:27 am »

I find i little strange that you didn't have goblin migrants. I had played with them a couple time without problems.
Maybe you selected a dead goblin civ?

Goblin diplomat came every season and left unhappy, and no trade cavarns came out ...

"The Fortress Attracted no Migrants this season".

Incidently, I started a mass engraving project but I'm getting pretty lame engravings :-/.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 01:45:40 am by NCommander »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #246 on: July 11, 2012, 01:18:32 am »

So, I've been playing A mode in the save before I started construction to try and practice somewhat and ...

I had a little incident with a dog that kinda spiraled out of control. Given the objective here is to make an awesome story/adventures, with permission, would it be possible to replace my turn with this guy? :-)

(he's dwarf, started as a peasant, has a copper spear, no armor; I have no desire to step on anyones toes, but we're also lacking awesome given so many adventures die so quickly these days ...).

JagreenLern

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 11, 2012, 06:30:56 am »

I suggest we let NCommander play the badass speardwarf.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 11, 2012, 01:01:37 pm »

That would be unfair to the other players, as they only had one try. I'd say the priority should be to finish your fortress and upload the savegame for the next player.  If comments indicate other players really want to hear the story you can post it afterwards.

Maybe we can have a rule that if someone fails their first adventurer, instead of making a fortress they can use the extra time to give it one (and only one) more try? Since the fail rate is so high. Just a suggestion. I enjoy reading the adventurer stories a lot more than waiting for someone to build a fortress.

This is related to the above discussion. if everybody plays two adventurers, waiting times will more or less double, since most people don't build fortresses. I'd rather have a faster succession of players, this means more people will get a chance to play (a good thing with our long list of players). It also means stories will be more varied, as each story is written by a different person. I also really want to keep the fortress building in there, as we will need player created fortresses to keep our slowly dying world interesting.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:03:14 pm by Bralbaard »

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 11, 2012, 01:31:25 pm »

I agree with Braalbard (it has nothing to do with the fact that i want mi turn , damm)
Still, i would like to hear the story of the separ murderer, even if it is not canon.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #250 on: July 11, 2012, 03:19:52 pm »

That would be unfair to the other players, as they only had one try. I'd say the priority should be to finish your fortress and upload the savegame for the next player.  If comments indicate other players really want to hear the story you can post it afterwards.

Maybe we can have a rule that if someone fails their first adventurer, instead of making a fortress they can use the extra time to give it one (and only one) more try? Since the fail rate is so high. Just a suggestion. I enjoy reading the adventurer stories a lot more than waiting for someone to build a fortress.

This is related to the above discussion. if everybody plays two adventurers, waiting times will more or less double, since most people don't build fortresses. I'd rather have a faster succession of players, this means more people will get a chance to play (a good thing with our long list of players). It also means stories will be more varied, as each story is written by a different person. I also really want to keep the fortress building in there, as we will need player created fortresses to keep our slowly dying world interesting.

That's completely fair (I wasn't even intending to post about my trial runs, but the rampage with my speardwarf got silly/awesome hence why I was curious if people wanted to know about it). I'll do a non-canon run with him and post it separately. It doesn't look like I'll finish my fort in time (its gone up 25 z levels, but the FPS dropped to 8 so even fastdwarf isn'tenough to speed up constructions). I'll simply do a reclaim on the fort after my next turn and finish it.

t the moment, I'm on an internet connection that's equivalent to dialup so I can' upload the 100MiB save ATM. Expect it uploaded in about 4-5 hours when I get someplace where I can shoot this sucker.

EDIT: Found a starbucks,and crunched the file down to 77MiB for upload: http://people.ubuntu.com/~mcasadevall/muesum-1074.tar.bz2

(please let me know when you've downloaded, I need to delete it after its gotten). Use WinRAR to decompress on Windows.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 04:24:53 pm by NCommander »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 12, 2012, 03:22:45 pm »

I've updated the map (and send Tehsapper a PM), the zoomed in part including Northevil:

And this is the entire updated map, (large image)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DrunkenCaveOgre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 12, 2012, 09:55:44 pm »

Is there a limit to the turn list? If not, may I have a turn?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 13, 2012, 09:51:02 am »

There's no limit but looking at the average playing time so far, it may take three or four months before it gets to you. I've added you to the list.

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 17, 2012, 09:31:47 am »

Okay, I'm there and I will use my turn for next chapter of that story.

Sorry for late reply, wasn't playing DF for long time.

Let the story begin!

This journal you just found is labeled "Diary of Sarvesh Ducimvod", and below someone's name is addition: "the Gloomy Gill of Crafts"

"Almost 10 years of relatively peace and quiet. Almost 10 years since my elder sister disappeared in this world.

My name is Sarvesh Ducimvod, or "Worksound". I'm a damn stout dwarf that comes from Controlledbells. As much as I remember my life - I got a loose memory - my life was spent sitting and working in our mountain hall. I was born in a family of farmers that butchered and bred that nasty poult, hence my last name is so. I had about 3 elder brothers and 2 sisters that helped our parents in their job, I was the youngest in the family those innocent times, so I didn't help them much.

After years of goblin assaults and other strange things (my dad didn't want to tell me much about them) invasion, my siblings and parents perished to exist, in many different ways. Urist was shot down while collecting berries outside, Tobul was impaled by a speardwarf that went mad after loss of some relative, Bomrek was accidently smashed down by a floodgate, Athol died of infection and Likot with father and mother... well, I don't know what happened to them. I asked Reg, my only sister left, but she only turned her face away from me and muttered something.

You rarely see a dwarf crying anyway, so I decided to not push the issue. After all, what cruelty could happen to someone a bit closer than everyone else in fort, so even after you shouldn't care about this much, you do cry?

Some human might ask me why I don't care. First of all, that's why we build all these legendary dining halls. When I look at a wonderful chair made by our craftdwarf I forget about what worries me. Because that doesn't matter. Because we give our lives to render something like this real, so future generations of our kin will gaze in awe at this saved wonder. Maybe amassing masterful crafts is the goal of any non-mentally ill dwarf.

Second, I don't really care about anything in this world anyway. Tragedy is too mundane in this world to be something to worry about. If our king would (he and his bloodline is dead long, long time ago) tell me to sacrifice my life for his mandate of dwarf leather sock, I would do this. My presence is too optional, at least I would be useful.

That is what I fear. I fear losing any motivation or point in life. I do work as a farmer, but sometimes when I'm done and I don't have any task, I feel worthless. I feel that I have the ability to do something for our future, but I can't. Maybe I'm too young, ehhh...
I forgot how old I am, archives and bookkeeper were destroyed in a strange accident involving giant cave spiders, and the written fact that I was born is found it's rest deep down in our halls. I think that I am about 30-40 year old, a young, but proud and bearded dwarf.

About 5 years ago we moved from our hundreds years old fortress onto surface. It was too ramshackle to live in anymore: cave-ins because of weared down supports, too much of it was "forbidden" zones - zones where civilian dwarves dare not to enter, or they will suffer death or horrible experience. Unspeakable horrors and monstrosities lurk there. And so grand granite doors, controlled by hundred year old mechanisms, of our hall were sealed forever.

Of course, not everyone liked this. Some old and noble dwarves keep telling that it is like betrayal to our dwarven principles and we are no worse than some tree-hugging hippies. But we had to embark away to dig a new glorious fort, because there were no places to dig - our mountain halls were very huge and their tunnels spanned many, many Urist tiles. We had a big chances to break into some forbidden zone and unleash all that pressurized magma or horrors inside, and no one wanted to do this.

I mostly spent my time wandering in forests, hunting and foraging for food. Someday, I found this journal. It was lying near old bones of a human, strangely, it was blank. Dwarves usually do not have an urge to describe their life into some journals, they don't have many events worth describing in their life, except tales of misery and suffering. However, I had. I wanted someone to know that Sarvesh do existed and he was a stout dwarf.

So, when I was bored and had no task, I began to write the diary of my life."
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:19:43 pm by Tehsapper »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 162