Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 777173 times)

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure item quest (adventure succession game)
« Reply #255 on: July 19, 2012, 02:04:24 pm »

I want to make my mark in this world
Give me a turn! Glory and riches will finaly enter your museam!
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 19, 2012, 02:57:42 pm »

Then I recalled brief appearance of some female dwarf. She was Reg, my sister.

Damn it, Reg! About 10 years ago you disappeared... why did you do this anyway?
Ahh, right. There was some sort of dispute... all dwarves were very excited - that was unusual. I think they were discussing some old as-time-itself fortress millions of Urists to south, the treasure in it and how that treasure is rightfully theirs. But there was some other parts of this story I couldn't recall, so I decided to ask one of our old nobles.

I knew that she's dead anyway. If you are a dwarf and someone close to you dies, you can sense it even if you are many, many Urists away. Humans call this type of bond "magic". One of those days I was messing with turkeys, I felt miserable, like part of your body was severed, even much worse. I immediately understood what happened.

And so, Reg... my last and the only for some years dear soul, where are you resting? What happened to you? We weren't that close because you were a drafted soldier, and I was a farmer. We just haven't got much time to be together.
The urge to wander outside of home rises. I don't think I've ever wanted to do this, but now... the whole world full of surprises and danger is before me. The manager told me enough for me to choose my target: Dinnerwandered. A human capital city that holds dark secrets of magic and history and what's more important - it was that target of my sister, too.

On the next day, I gathered my humble possessions and bought a sword and shield. I had some experience fighting with occasional intruders, like kobold thieves, and I was a hunter for some time. I needed some lads to help me survive the horrors of night, but everyone laughed at this. Nowadays, dwarves don't want to move out of houses much or maybe they just don't trust me. Well, guess that's time to slay some of those insane "werebeasts" and claim myself as a hero the dwarven race deserves.

I wasn't that brave anyway, but it seems right now is time to be worthy. To be worthy of being a new legend, a new tale that elder will tell to youth. A tale of Sarvesh and Reg, brother and sister. It fills my heart with pride.

And so my adventure started. I talked with some experienced warriors about surroundings, and they told me about werebeasts and vampire lairs. When I asked them to join me in evil-purging crusade, they gave me a strange look and declined my offer. Guess they think that getting their arses impaled on birchen sticks is better. "Whatever then" - I said, shrugged and went away.

I decided to go to the nearest human town, which was about in 2 days from there. While descending down the mountains, I shot some flying buzzards by throwing my copper dagger and butchered them. Surprisingly, it gave me enough time to think where my sister could go. Of course, the world is insanely giant and I have small chances to find her... but I want to. I want to explore the world, to see it's beauty and understand what happened with our race, why we became almost extinct.

Rivers. I hate flowing water. I think that's because of some suffered psychic trauma, I was a kid and I was accidently swooped by water on our underground farm into drain and I barely survived. Water, be damned. It was always a deathbringer for our kin: monstrous carps, accidental flood or giant fortresses, dehydration, boredom, shipwrecks and other nasty things.
But I had to cross some rivers to get on the other side, jumping is not reliable because I have chances fall in water, become stunned by the impact and drown, ending my epic adventure. So I had to swim though it, getting my possessions wet. And I hate wet things, except alcohol.

The sun started to crawl away from the sky, I was not that far from human hamlet, so I decided to sleep in wilderness. I couldn't sleep for some time, but then tiredness overcame and I closed my eyes.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 04:14:51 am by Tehsapper »

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 20, 2012, 02:22:09 am »

Well, it's looking like I'm going to be away from my computer until the 31st or something... you can bump me back a turn.
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #258 on: July 20, 2012, 03:19:43 am »

So, given there was interest in my speardwarf and his 45 kills, here's the start of my non-canonical run through the world. I built him as a peasent, with two levels in observer, one in shield user, one in swimmer, and one in reader, and skill tweaks I don't remember.

Led Balallogem, Speardwarf

Eh, figure I might not live to tell anyone my tale, but damn, someone should know. Bloody, I'm still not sure how the hell it went so wrong.

Well, the name is Led for one. I always had a hankering to be an adventurer you know? When I was a kid, I used to pick up rocks and throw them, you know. Always wanted to be a Marksdwarf, living off the land, capping goblins, right?

I got to the point people used to call me a Legendary Thrower, though I have to admit I really have no idea what that means now. I could throw a rock though so hard it could kill some of those pests that occassionally visit Sneakpillars.

That's where I'm from. Though I doubt you've heard of it. Pretty sure when all is said and done, no one will know of it. When I finally turned 12, me dad handed me his old spear, and a hunting knife, and told me to go live my dreams. He passed not long after; black lung from working as a miner. I wonder what he would say if he knew what happened ...

Anyway, people laughed at me, told me if I wanted to be a hero, I should do some impossible task like kill a vampire with 10 million kills or something. One of them though took pity, and recommended I learn a bit of wrestling; said if I could disarm my attackers, I'd be much better off.

So I did. I started wrestling with one of the roosters. Which was a mistake. The rooster called the cat, and suddenly I was surrounded by a band of menacing animals. I was untrained, but I managed to kill them all before they in turn could kill me. Well, thats what started this entire mess. Covered in blood, Thikut spotted me and called me a murderer. Before I knew what was going on, half the damn town was chasing after me you see?

Well, my dad, he told me once that us dwarfs, we can enter something called a 'martial trance'. I guess that's what must have happened. When I came out of it, I felt stronger than I ever have before, and there was a pile of bodies. I did the only thing I could, and ran into the mountians south, hoping to survive.

I'm hurting like hell, but I'm alive. I may be a murderer now, but I'm sure as hell not going to die like this. There has to be places beyond our little valley where I can go and hide, and start again. Maybe I'll get out of this alive.

If not, then for the lives I've taken, death will be surely the penalty I've deserve. Even if was an accident ...

(I can't upload photos on this link, but I'll edit them in if possible. Since this is a non-canon run, I won't head to any of the fortresses players built except those already explored. Here's my stats though

Dabbling Butcher/Knife User.
Skilled Speardwarf.
Novice Shield User.
Dabbling Armor User
Legendary Thrower.
Dabbling Ambusher.
Novice Swimmer
Talented Observer
Novice Reader.
Adept Fighter
Legendary Archer
Adequate Wrestler
Dabbling Striker/Kicker/Misc. Object User
Adequate Dodger

Average-sized for a dwarf
Speed: 1231
---

High Strength
Superior Agility
High Toughness
Adobe Average Endurance
High Willpower
High Spatial Sense
High Kinesthetic Sense

Average Recuperatio, Disease Resistance, Analytical Ability, Focus, Intuition, Memroy, Social Awareness

Very Low Creatvitiy, Patience, Linguistic Ability, Musicality, Empathy[/color

Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #259 on: July 20, 2012, 03:57:01 am »

I started wrestling with one of the roosters. Which was a mistake. The rooster called the cat, and suddenly I was surrounded by a band of menacing animals.

I love it.

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 20, 2012, 10:17:25 am »

Damn, I'm pretty busy to write a -story- for my adventurer. Hope I will manage it to Silverywind in my week.

Diary of Sarvesh Worksound, the Gloomy Gill of Crafts, entry 2.

BAM!

...I woke up from a powerful punch into my face. I didn't understand what the hell is happening and was shocked because I just lost a tooth, until I received another punch, this time right in kidney. I quickly took my sword and barely dodged something that rushed near me.

The horrors! They ARE NEAR. Those monstrous creatures (I counted five) were like... like those creeping stalkers that I saw sometimes in our forbidden zones. Their twisted bodies are barely resembling human, with wings and horns.
I was paralyzed from fear, I was scared of those horrors that appear and punch you just when you started to take your nap. But I quickly cleared my mind when I received another punch. It's on, motherlovers!

Damn, bogeymans are fast. Or at least I thought so. I unleashed my strikes on them, and they just laughed and flied away with the speed of wind. But I managed to wound one of them and strange filth started to pour from the wound. It burnt the ground when they encountered.

I was handing a planned strike after strike, to no avail - they dodged them. Then I began to plan them even more carefully.
One, two, three! My blade goes snicker-snack and severed head of a monstrosity flies away! It's limp body falls and seizes, finally dead.

They were good teachers - every time I made a stupid or wrong move, they "rewarded" me with strong punch or kick, sometimes in vital organs like lungs. And so I became more aware of what I do and how do I strike properly. My body feels more... controllable?

CLANG!

A strong kick in head was just deflected by my copper helm. I feel disoriented for a moment, then charge at attacker and with carefully planned and swift swing at upper body... bisected it. Upper half managed to emit a horrifying scream before perishing away.
The fight for my life continued for a very long, almost life-long hour.

Endless retreat from rushing enemies, their disgusting forms and all those missed strikes started to accumulate rage in me. I want to finish this, I want them to DIE.
And so, finally I entered martial trance. A state of demigodhood.
Time froze, forever. With swift, carefully planned slashes and stabs of my trusty sword, they all fell before me, like cave wheat before a dwarven farmer.
When I realized what I've done, I only sheathed my sword and run away, run as never before.

...Finally, I go away to world of dreams. After a hour of panic run, I barely managed to find a human hamlet. They were hospitable enough to grant me a shelter for a night.

Another day comes, I thank those kind people and continue my way to their city, Bakerswalked. Nothing happened on this part, because the city was less than in 3 hours of walking.

The city truly has an appearance of abandonment. Almost all houses are destroyed or empty with sign of abandonment. Some scavenging human figures can be seen, they show no or little interest in me. I head right to the lord's keep, hoping that it isn't abandoned too and I can make some sort of self-presentation of a hero that slays nightmares.
Confirming my hopes, the lord's red banner can be seen flying over the castle. I decide to go in. There were no guards
I see a young and tall human in a noble outfit, and a strange dialogue ensues:
- With whom can I have honor to talk?
- I'm Onu Somehumannameicantrecallnow, human child
- Ehh... what's your profession again?
- I'm twenty four!
- What?
- I'm twenty four!
- Where is your mom, son?
- Over there! - and he points to strange figure lying near him
I cannot believe my eyes - it is a rotten corpse of a human female. I look back at him in disgust, but he doesn't mind.
- What a "pleasant" house you built for yourselves... can I visit that dungeon, be a hero and slay all the beasts for the glory of our two races?
- Certainly, it would be terrible to leave someone without a task to accomplish.
- Good bye then.

I visited those dungeons humans tend to build under their keeps. Strangely, lords and bandits usually tend to co-exist in peace. Maybe there is a link?
I greeted everyone I found in that tomb-like structure, and strangled everyone who dared to attack me. The night incident raised my skills to almost legendary-like levels. I found no treasure worth picking, except some shields. Elder always thought us that the more shields you carry or wield, the more chances of survival.
Then, when I decided to go out in wilderness to find werebeast lairs, I found some sleeping guards on towers. I talked to them about the importance of werebeast-cleaning raids and they agreed to go to glory or death.

Beautiful forest, beautiful singing of birds, however by some reports of local villagers there are many dug-in lairs of werebeasts.
Werebeasts. They are just harmless and deranged creatures, but only on one day they became rabid and possess their real animal form, and so begin raids on surrounding villages that lead to even more werebeast spawning.
They are beyond salvation, we can only kill the evil before it is too late.

- Knock, knock!
- W-who i-is it?
- Oh, it's me, Sarvesh Worksound.
- B-begone!

And a rabid human or olm (how do they live without water?) man jumps right on my iron sword x3.

When I returned victorous to that former shell of a great city, I was greeted like a hero. Interesting feeling. And then, by long and ancient tradition, they bestowed the "nick-name" for me by spouting random stuff that came in their minds.

Sarvesh Worksound, the Gloomy Gill of Crafts. Sounds dwarfy.

Speaking of dwarfness and other positive attributes, we are strayed from our real target: Dinnerwandered. I don't know where is it, so is my two companions and ever living human there, but I recall that it might be right near new-spawned dwarven factory of Sunkengem. We embark, heading there on the next day and remaining part of day is spent buying food for our long trip.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 10:20:12 am by Tehsapper »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 20, 2012, 03:07:18 pm »

I've never been that successful against bogeyman, this adventurer shows promise..

I've updated the playerlist.

Joost66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 20, 2012, 09:46:43 pm »

Could I please be added to the list? Also, can the story be told from a 3rd person perspective?
Hello. Have a nice day.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 21, 2012, 01:43:30 am »

Creative writing is very much encouraged, you're free to choose the whatever style and perspective you like. I've added you to the list.

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 21, 2012, 05:29:54 am »

Diary of Sarvesh Worksound, the Gloomy Gills of Crafts, entry 3.

Have I said that I hate rivers? Yeah, I have. Today, an about 3 Urists wide river appeared on our path. It seems we have to cross it, because one of my companions said that there are other rivers blocking our way.
Ughh, I came near that damned water and stood, gazing in its depth. No signs of hippos or skeleton carp. So I refilled my waterskin and carefully moved into it, swam through it and made it to the other side.
I proceed on our adventure, but sudden quietness of my companions puzzles me. I turn back to check what's wrong and see them helplessly floundering in the water. In one Urist from the safe ground.
I rush back to help them crawl out of this cold and painful death, but it is too late. Too late, their corpses are lifelessly floating on the surface.
 - Damn you! Damn you! Damn you! - I yell in anger at that stupid river and threw a large rock in fit of rage.

I'm alone, yet again. I don't want to experience that horrible night again, even if I am a hero with copper helmet on head, so I stood for a while after granting them a proper burning burial and try to recall where I might recruit some bodygucompanions.

Ahh, yes. My fallen friends told me about one human fortress that isn't too far from our... well, now mine path. Maybe I will also persuade the lord to stay inside his (I hope) mighty fortress for a night.

The time quickly flies as I make my way through forests and plains. Nothing worth description was found.
When I was at home, I thought I will have plenty of time to think about our future. Future of me and the world, such things. Heh, I caught myself that I mostly care about practical things, like, how to get around that high mountain or shall I cross the river or not. Guess that is because you only think about high and other philosophical things when you have no job to do. Or maybe I'm too old and I've seen enough for this to matter for me? I remember the old tricky question that elder liked to ask us, youth "What can change the nature of a dwarf?"

I always answered "lack of alcohol". And I was right.

The gray diorite walls of the castle can be seen from many Urists in range.
I increased my pace, came to the gates and hailed the guard.
They opened the gates, and I was allowed to proceed into lord's house. The noble human clearly has heard of my deeds and I was greeted like an inspiring hero. He told me that there are enough evil in surrounding settlements to purge, but I politely refused his offers and told about my plans of reaching Dinnerwandered. He was mildly upset that he couldn't hire me, but he agreed to let four men of his guard go with me. I thanked him for his hospitality and kindness and offered that I will do his quests, if I would ever return there again.

I waited for my brand new companions to prepare for our journey, and we went forth, bypassing rivers so no one would drown again.

..."Thradgajgkagjkaga!"

"What was that noise?" - I thought and suddenly armed, but half-naked kobolds jumped out of nearby bushes and trees, surrounding us.

Damn. I yell at my confused companions to prepare for battle, marking in my mind that bowmen are the most dangerous for our party.
Four swordkobolds charge at us, arrows fly and manage to wound some of my men. They heroically defend from the first clash, while I go away to struck down bowmen.
A spearkobold! He squeaked something as he charged with his spear at me... I deflect his futile strike and he bumps into me, stunned. One quick slash at his head and it's all over for him.

Whoosh!

I jump away from flying silver arrow.
That little guy is really afraid, I see that he can't choose between running away or shooting at me, finally he chooses the latter as I approach him. But the arrow is blocked by my shield, and I successfully stab his leg so he couldn't escape from my wrath. The little creature shrieks in pain until I relieve him from his pain, stabbing his head, tearing the brain through his skull. I'm getting used to this.

Meanwhile, my companions finished slaughtering kobolds. They are wounded, but no one gives in pain every single step. We scavenge the battleground for valuables and found nothing interesting, then go away.

"Gahahbagkalgajhakl!"

Our quiet journey is interrupted yet again. Maybe they try to vengeance the deaths of their brothers and sisters? I don't know their motives. One companion is shot down right away by iron arrow, he screams and falls down. The others are sort of frightened by this. I carry on and begin to methodically slay attackers, while companions are backing me...

The battle is over. To my deep disappointment, two more of my men were killed in action. The only survived human, Oce Gravecottons was found hiding in bushes, wounded and barely alive. I tend to his wounds as much as I can, grab him and help him to move away. He moans, but keeps on living.

May souls of those brave fighters rest in peace.

We continue on our journey, entering the Desert of Rabbles. A rather spooky place. And when we came to another river to bypass, some strange slimy liquid started to pour down from crimson clouds. Soon me and my friend were covered in that repellent slime from top to toes. It was repellent enough that I couldn't wash it off from me when we ran away in fear of melting or other nasty surprise from this god-forbidden land. But it was good at repelling wasps and mosquitos. Still, I haven't got the will to dare tasting it.

We eventually made it to the southern end of the Prime Crest, our mountains. There must be some mountain forts of our civilization where we can find well-earned rest.

I look at map I found in Oce's backpack and we decide to go to Clashcities, an ancient dwarven outpost. After hours of walking, as night was falling down, bringing doom to lone adventurers, me and Oce stood before granite gates of mountain hall.

A big and fat dwarf greets us at the entrance, where two similar doors can be found. One door is engraved with: "Potashmakers, soapmakers, cheesemakers and milkers", the other one door is engraved with "Everyone else" sign. I fear what monstrous creatures of our imagination can exist beyond the first door, especially in such ancient keeps.
 - So, what's your skills - he asked, showing little interest in our personas.
 - Uhh, guess we are masters of sword and whip.
He jumps in excitement, obviously regaining interest in us, and begins to tell us abound wonderful +statues+ we can find in their dining halls. Guess they have lack of fine warriors these dark times.
 - I think you misunderstood us, we aren't some migrants. We are adventurers. We just came there for a night and we can pay in goods if you desire.

Upset by that revelation, he nods and leads us through long and deep shafts to some sort of dormitory, where other dwarves can be found sleeping. We paid him some coins and went back to our beds. The next day promises to be good.

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 23, 2012, 07:57:12 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A quick drawing of Sarvesh, so you guys will have a more detailed description of him.

The time is running out, I don't think I will make it to Silverywind, because I'm busy as hell. Even if I would do that, I won't have time to write a descriptive -story- about the journey.

So I guess I will retire my adventurer somewhere near Dinnerwandered and take another turn. I have a donation to the museum (I will write about it later), so don't worry.

A note to future adventurers: please, do not kill Sarvesh, I still have plans for him :) But if you are going to Silverywind you are free to take him as well and write a story.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diary of Sarvesh Worksound the Gloomy Gills of Crafts, entry 4.

...I'm awoken by Urist. Usually I'm the first to awoke them and command to continue on journey, but... damn, I haven't slept on a good maple bed in ages.
The dwarves that I found sleeping are long gone, the carved in hard granite room holds no one except us. We grab our possessions and enter the labyrinth of dwarven creativity. All those shafts and tunnels, rooms, locked doors - only dwarves and carnivores with strong sense of smell (like goblins or traders) can navigate their way through these mind-confusing webs of passages.

Armok's beard!

I accidently stumbled into a storage room, that is filled with finest steel armor sitting on armor stands. There are no any signs of wear on any of them, so they are clearly spare sets for dwarven soldiers. The desire to have one is rising, and if no one knows...

I feel like a kid in a booze shop.

I sign at Oce to watch out the entrance here and then start the long process of dressing myself in finest dwarven steel.
Entire steelclad set fits me perfectly! I take a look at my new finely-crafted steel gauntlets. They are adorned with hanging rings of citrine and menace with spikes superior quality bandfire opal. Fantastic. I also put a cloak, robe and hood over my new armor to conceal it - who would want anyone to find them on me?
My new appearance is meet with mixed reaction. Oce shows no interest in this and clearly wants to get out of this "god-forbidden stinking hole". Urist is a bit disappointed of my "lowly action", but overall deals with it.

...Finally, after a long hour of finding the exit, we found a room with lever and a floodgate. Such situation always spark a big interest in me: who knows, what can be outside the floodgate? Magma? Water? Forgotten beasts? Goblins? Mutilated human wereelves?
The list is going on, and the only solution is to pull the lever. I strike a triumphant pose, as my hand pulls the lever, the judge of our fates. No one knows, what we will find there - death or escape, for that moment as ancient dwarven mechanisms crack and boom and the floodgate is lowering...

Sunlight.
Trees, grass and bushes. We have found the secret exit, and we increase our paces to almost running level to get away from this scene of crime.

We were bypassing every river, every river that is deep enough so we couldn't just walk over it. I'm too traumatized by deaths and bogeymen to let another accident happen. And so, our tedious and prolonged because of excessive bypassing adventure was going.

Night. It is full moon, I'm a bit scared of this because I heard werebeasts assume their beast form this cursed time. Also it adds that we decided to stop in "haunted" forest, they are believed to be full of nasty, disgusting creatures of perverted minds. Eventually, I close my eyes and give in to dreams.

This time I'm awoken by strange crawling sounds. In the middle of night. I take my sword, and quickly tap, then shake my friends to wake them.

- Huh? What? - Urist mumbles as I see a horribly disfigured pack of rotten hyenas. They are missing limbs. even vital organs or parts like heads. No blood flows from their wounds. They smell foul.

- Zombies, that's what! - I yell at them, and it helps - driven by the fear of being eaten alive they prepare to battle before the hyenas charge at us.

I flail my sword around, striking and bashing those foul creatures as hard as I can. They... collapse from my powerful blows. What a anticlimactic fight.
Meanwhile, Oce and Urist have finished with them too. Still, Oce got some minor wounds, barely worth noticing.

The rest of the night we spent moving away from this god-forbidden place. And then, when the sun is ascending to sky from it's deep resting place, we see something magnificient.

Massive jungle. And by jungle I mean giant, huge, unbelievable high trees. And endless flowers of any colors, plants, bushes and other thick vegetation around them.
Well, I've never been into one - I've spent most of my live deep underground and something high as this... confuses my mind. I can barely stand still when looking at that height.
But we have to cross it, to get to the Sunkengem, where Dinnerwandered should be. Anyway, jungle means lots of animals, and lots of animals means lots of food or death. I think I can handle them now.
Still, caution is not that thing you should be afraid or ashamed of. So I've spent some time on lecture about why we shouldn't taunt hippos or elephants.

- How that jungle is named, Urist?
- Massive brave Forest.
- Why is it so?
- Uhh, because of some ancient tribe of jungle dwarves - dwarves that abandoned the coldness of mines and moved onto surface. They believed to be very brave and strong warriors, hence is the name for that jungle. But it didn't help them much, heh, they ceased to exist many centuries ago.

...I look at the map I've bought in that human city, puzzled.
There must be a river. And there is no river. What a surprise. I look at some pools of stagnant water, that looks awful - it's damn green and covered in insects. It also smells strange.
The worst part is that we are low on water, my waterskin gonna be empty soon, with all that heat and humidity. And damned mosquitos, I miss repellent slime covering my body.

We keep moving like this whole day though barely passable terrain - we had to bypass rivers that existed, and if we needed to refill our waterskin in nearby rivers - they just didn't exist. I'm also tired from cutting all those thick as elephant's trunk lianas.

... Until finally, I saw a huge gap between giant trees and flourishing vegetation. I run forth, to experience a nice breeze that comes from...

The sea! Or a lake that is so big so we can't see where it ends. I exclaim that we have found a huge body of water. Urist replies that it's Glad Seas, a huge inland lake.
I run to the lake, fill my waterskin with water and drink it. And immediately spew it.

It is damn salty. Damn it, after day long search of damn drinkable water in that damned insect-filled jungle, all I got is a huge, giant lake... that is saltwater.

It is still quite a nice sight, white sand, breeze, tropical forest with rich fruits around, dwarven rum and crab meat roast. A nice retiring place after long, long adventurous adventure.

...It still makes no sense.

Suddenly, I see a huge crab. It is unbelievable giant, Armok's mercy, a third of elephant's size.
+Crab meat roast+ instantly makes me forget about anything else. The problem is I'm as slow as a turtle, and this miracle of nature can escape into traitorous water, and I won't dare to enter it.
An idea flashes in mind. I take one of my trusty shields, and throw it at the crab with all might I have. The spinning shield hits the crab with loud crack as we charge at it.

That's a damn huge stack of crab meat. It will feed us for many, many days. We still have to move away from endless rivers that meet the sea there. And so, we are returning back into inhospitable, endless jungle.

But before this, I made some marks on my map. We are getting closer to Dinnerwandered, but it is still a long way.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 23, 2012, 01:46:26 pm »

Ah, that map is very helpful.
DF worlds are huge, it took me ages to walk from Dinnerwandered to Silverywind.
 I'm going to attempt to continue my last adventurers story with a new character on my next turn, so I might end up travelling to Silverywind as well, if you're ok with that. I'll put you up for another turn as well. 

I'm looking forward to the rest of your adventure.

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 25, 2012, 10:50:03 am »

I did this. I made it to the Silverywind and back as a necromancer, making my way through endless swarms of kobolds.
I'll wrap it up in a story a bit later, and here is the save so anyone won't be held because of this.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6709

There were two
problems:

1) First, I did returned the Mournsaints the Fire-Ruler of Rewards - a magnetite amulet - to the Dinnerwandered, but when I dropped it on the table, I noticed that I can't pick it back. It can be seen through (l)ook, but cannot be picked up and in fact it is invisible on screen. I also remember that when I picked it up I've seen that a copy of it still could be seen lying in that bin.
2) Second is that when I visited Bralbaard's corpse in hopes of finding another artefact that I had in Silverywind, his and bandit corpses were raised as zombies because he was apparently killed in a terrifying biome that still has that nasty ability of raising any corpse even in adventure mode. I decided to kill it, because it would be unloaded in abyss, forever and there won't be any ways to retrieve his corpse. So, I had an idea to grant him a nice resting place as any decent hero or warrior deserves. His corpse and possessions can be found in a shrine in The Tomb of Heroes, that is located near Hotivory, a lair. And near some human hamlet with "Ivory" in it's name.
I hope I haven't changed your plans much :) And I'm sorry if I did.
If anyone wants, you can reclaim it and build some more tombs and have proper burial to other slain heroes of our museum.

So, my character brought:
1) A collection of golden crafts from dwarven settlements: a masterful gold crown from Lakelancers, two masterful gold rings and a golden coin from Silverywind.
2) 2 serpent woman eggs, brought from her lair.
3) A whole set of masterful leather armor, human sized.

And Bralbaard brought (it counts that he did it, as it will be written in the story) the Mournsaints, the Fire-Ruler of Rewards, an ancient magnetite amulet from ruins of Silverywind. It is believed that it holds immense magical power, including, but not limited to killing people, attracting kobolds and invisibility.

Last thing, I wish to be removed from the turn list because I've already done what I wanted to do and I currently have no ideas for adventuring.

Have fun!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #268 on: July 25, 2012, 12:13:48 pm »

I believe this means it's my turn? Downloading the save now. I'll try to be quick this time so other people can have a chance to play.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 25, 2012, 02:37:25 pm »

I did this. I made it to the Silverywind and back as a necromancer, making my way through endless swarms of kobolds

You made it to Silverywind and back, despite the kobolds? That's amazing (and quite a long distance trek), kobolds seem to really, really hate necromancers, I believe they have torn apart all our other necromancers without much effort.

1) First, I did returned the Mournsaints the Fire-Ruler of Rewards - a magnetite amulet - to the Dinnerwandered, but when I dropped it on the table, I noticed that I can't pick it back. It can be seen through (l)ook, but cannot be picked up and in fact it is invisible on screen. I also remember that when I picked it up I've seen that a copy of it still could be seen lying in that bin.

That is odd.. Are you sure it's not under the table? I just dropped those tables there, they're not constucted and behave as regular items, other items can end up under them. I believe someone posted a fix for that somewhere in this thread, I'll take a look at it later. What is still odd is that you could not pick it up.

2) Second is that when I visited Bralbaard's corpse in hopes of finding another artefact that I had in Silverywind, his and bandit corpses were raised as zombies because he was apparently killed in a terrifying biome that still has that nasty ability of raising any corpse even in adventure mode. I decided to kill it, because it would be unloaded in abyss, forever and there won't be any ways to retrieve his corpse. So, I had an idea to grant him a nice resting place as any decent hero or warrior deserves. His corpse and possessions can be found in a shrine in The Tomb of Heroes, that is located near Hotivory, a lair. And near some human hamlet with "Ivory" in it's name.
I hope I haven't changed your plans much :) And I'm sorry if I did.
If anyone wants, you can reclaim it and build some more tombs and have proper burial to other slain heroes of our museum.

So, my character brought:
1) A collection of golden crafts from dwarven settlements: a masterful gold crown from Lakelancers, two masterful gold rings and a golden coin from Silverywind.
2) 2 serpent woman eggs, brought from her lair.
3) A whole set of masterful leather armor, human sized.

And Bralbaard brought (it counts that he did it, as it will be written in the story) the Mournsaints, the Fire-Ruler of Rewards, an ancient magnetite amulet from ruins of Silverywind. It is believed that it holds immense magical power, including, but not limited to killing people, attracting kobolds and invisibility.

Last thing, I wish to be removed from the turn list because I've already done what I wanted to do and I currently have no ideas for adventuring.

Have fun!

So you build a fortress as well? I'll try and update the maps and other posts with all the new information. I'll use mournsaints the fire ruler of rewards as your submission for the museum. As for all the extra stuff you brought: I guess we should claim the second floor of the museum as well, all the secondary submissions and trinkets should go there. When my adventurer gets to the museum I'll try and clean the place up a bit.

I'm looking forward to your story, make sure you post it, it must have been an epic journey.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 162