Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 777102 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure item quest (adventure succession game)
« Reply #390 on: November 30, 2012, 03:08:06 am »

He definitely has creative ways of bringing his enemies down, this will be interesting.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 30, 2012, 07:57:44 pm »

This city is completely abandoned. Every shop, every house, empty. I keep to the shadows. Nervous. Maybe the castle is populated? The cave fish man is here somewhere. Maybe in the sewer.
There are more dead than living, but the keep has the few remaining people in the town within its walls. They seem listless, staring sadly at the multitude of bodies that litter the floor but making no attempts to remove them.
I ask a tanner about my quarry, and in a hollow voice he tells me to search the sewers. Joyless eyes follow me as I leave.
As I make my way around, searching for an entrance into the sewers, I hear shouts. Not or terror, not of pain, but of advertisement. I see a market populated with many more people than I had anticipated even existing in the decayed remains of this city. The peddlers plead with each other to buy something, anything. As I approach, some start calling out in joy at the sight of a potential customer.

Their eyes stare greedily at the pouch of coins that I recovered from the bandits. I leave and find my way into the sewers through a stair behind a building.

Empty. The entire sewer, as far as I could explore, is empty. No living creatures, no water, no sewage even. Just aquatic critter corpses and holes so deep that I can't see the bottom. I leave quickly and make my way toward the river. There are access tunnels for the sewer, but entering them is a guaranteed death. Unless I can stop needing to breathe...

I speak with a shopkeeper in the market. He tells me of a museum, where there is kept the secrets of life and death. Life and death? Maybe I can learn how to stop breathing...
I buy some rat weed for the road and make my way to Dinnerwandered.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 30, 2012, 08:11:15 pm »

Maybe I can learn how to stop breathing...

Careful what you wish for, there. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 30, 2012, 08:12:26 pm »

Maybe I can learn how to stop breathing...

Careful what you wish for, there. :P
1st step: find spear person
2nd step: ask them politely to pierce your lungs.
3rd step: you're done!

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 30, 2012, 09:27:59 pm »

I travel for a day and a half, sleeping in a small township for a night. Upon entering Dinnerwandered, I see that it's almost completely empty. Going to the museum, I see corpses and piles of old, abandoned equipment all over. The tables are littered with objects that are either of immense value or complete garbage. I am far from qualified to tell.

I read through several books, some serious, some witty, some completely bizarre. But one, "Immortality in the Time of my Ancestors" by Rorec Helmstrick contained something much more interesting: the secrets of life and death.

I've learned that I need not eat.
I've learned that I need not drink.
I've learned that I need not sleep.
Perhaps I've never needed these things. Perhaps I need not breathe. I will test this in the river near here.

I had such confidence. Such belief in my new knowledge, but one moment under the bridge set me panicking.

I shamefully admit that I must leave this place and find a different way to kill the monsters beneath the city.

I spend a day and a half training my swimming, and find that I no longer feel exhaustion. The Teachings are useful indeed.
I later speak to a local, searching for something to do. He tells me of a vampire in the sewers. I first think that he mocks me, but he is sincere.

As I expected. There is no way to find the creature in the sewers. The walls seem to shift and change behind me, and I can not remember where I have been. I am lucky that I have no need for food or drink, or I might not have survived. I have renewed reason to find a way to stop needing breath.

I search now in the dungeons. These people fear a goblin that resides there. I shall find her and bring her corpse to them.

On the way, I find a kobold guard. I am shadow. I am invisible. None shall see me as I take his life.

One more has died by my rock.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:32:22 pm by Argonnek »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 01, 2012, 09:47:25 pm »

It is the dreaded... DOUBLE POST! Anyway...

I find another guard, who spots me! I run behind a pillar and lose her once more. I try throwing some of the many scattered teeth I found in this room. Predictably, this has little effect. I then come upon and idea: What if I were to throw one of the many corpses and reanimate it at their feet? Let's try it.

My new minion immediately rises and starts mauling the hapless guard. Heh. Heheh.

Now that the guard is dead, how do I rid myself of this noisy skeleton? The last thing I need is to have this mindless fool drawing the enemy closer to me. Perhaps I... Where did he go?

He appears to have taken the initiative and found a guard to strangle. Heh. I think I'll keep him. But why just him? There are plenty of bodies to choose from, so why not have one or two more? Or three? There are plenty of goblins to go around... Heh.

Heh. Heheh.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 10:33:10 pm by Argonnek »

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 02, 2012, 03:11:19 am »

Woah..I might actually want a turn in this madness!

PS:No triple post for you Argon

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 02, 2012, 03:11:30 pm »

Interesting. If history is anything to go by, we can look forward to some epic battles with hundreds of enraged kobolds, they seem to really dislike necromancers.

Woah..I might actually want a turn in this madness!
I've added you to the turn list

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 02, 2012, 07:02:29 pm »

Not just yet, sadly. The local populace doesn't much like gigantic swarms of undead rising from the depths.

I travel through the depths, searching for the exit. I seem to have forgotten where I have been. This can not be coincidence. Dark forces are at work. Perhaps... Perhaps I must become a vampire as well? Legends say that they need not breathe. But where will I find one? I shall speak with the locals once more...
Wait...
First, I must rid myself of this swarm. The living seldom consort with the dead. I attack one, hitting it in the shoulder with my rock. It staggers back, and the rest stop dead and stare at me. I believe that I have rid myself of them. Heh.

I find a merchant in a cheese shop and tell him of one of the pitiful creatures my minions killed in the dungeon, and ask about a vampire.

These people are completely useless.

After I seethe for a moment, I ask about interesting things in the area. He tells me of an abandoned Dwarven fortress of Tongsrace. From his tone, it is a place of death for all who attempt to observe its depths. Perhaps the swarm of bodies I left in the dungeon could be useful here.

After mere hours of travel with my horde of shambling undead, newly recovered from the dungeons beneath the museum, we arrive at the eastern border of the territory known as "Tongsrace." Even at this distance, I feel something... Wrong.

A ghost of a dwarf that looks like it was once a mason now follows me, glaring balefully at me as I make my way up the hill to the fortress.

HORROR!
A great demon attacks my army of undead! A gigantic feathered snail! Patchy grey feathers barely cover its obscenely bloated body. It has yet to see me, thankfully, but my hapless undead are not so lucky.
They fight, and they fall.
They fall, and I raise them.
I raise them, and they fight.
This continues for some time, but the creature is killed. I cannot raise the body, but monsters such as this should stay dead.
Throughout, the mason's ghost follows me, a threat to my safety that my horde cannot defend against. I must be cautious.

Damn! That filthy mongrel ghost attacked me! Shattered one of my ribs I think. I'll have his head for this... If.. I.. Can stay focused.. through this pain...

Uhg!

Had I only been paying more attention, I would have survived longer. But hey, I had fun. I am attempting to upload the file now. It's a big'un.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 08:36:34 pm by Argonnek »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 02, 2012, 08:18:40 pm »

Whatever the hell you do, don't let that bastard of a mason catch you! :o
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 02, 2012, 08:56:34 pm »

well, this looks alive.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 02, 2012, 08:59:32 pm »

Here is the file. Have fun! (Beware the ghosts, they'll kill ya)
http://www.mediafire.com/?hjly3j66um35uyi

EDIT: I would like another turn! Seriously, this was fun.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 11:19:01 pm by Argonnek »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 03, 2012, 01:17:17 am »

well, this looks alive.

Not sure how you get that impression, after the last story :P

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 03, 2012, 02:52:43 pm »

That, I think, was the most dramatic death we've seen so far. Killed by a murderous ghost while fighting the legions from hell.
So all our fears about Tongsrace appear to be true, and things are even worse. In addition to the demons and the forgotten beast that we already heard rumours about, we have violent ghosts. Then there's the undead army that Argonnek brought along... I wonder if they will still be around when new adventurers show up.

Time to rewrite the description of Tongsrace..
I've re-added you to the end of the turn list. Also, did you leave anything at the museum during your earlier visit there?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:54:19 pm by Bralbaard »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 04, 2012, 12:51:18 am »

Nope. I had nothing but the shirt (and robe, and cloak) on my back, some food for the road, and my trusty rock, which fell with me. I didn't leave a donation at the Museum - though, for the record, if I had become a vampire I would have happily charged into the city sewers, killed the monsters beneath, and brought that first cave fish man's corpse to my hometown. Only then would I have considered my quest complete.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 162