Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 777179 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure item quest (adventure succession game)
« Reply #465 on: January 19, 2013, 03:17:03 pm »

you mean 101 stones, right?
you need 2 unsharpened ones to sharpen one.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 19, 2013, 03:30:57 pm »

I wouldn't suggest trying to eliminate all freezing water sources. Sometimes freezing environments can be entertaining. Probably best just to avoid walking across them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 19, 2013, 03:35:05 pm »

hmmm?
whats this about freezing water?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 19, 2013, 03:56:44 pm »

Oh balls. I was intending to respond to Di...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 20, 2013, 08:30:31 am »

Probably best just to avoid walking across them.
It's not like I was doing that just for the sake of it. Crossing the ocean is the only way to get to that Plankstirred fortress.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 20, 2013, 08:33:41 am »

Or you could go through the caverns.

Or you could fly.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 20, 2013, 12:33:40 pm »

Or you could go through the caverns.
Or you could fly.
Both of which would still cause ocean be calculated making crashes and freezes a problem still.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 20, 2013, 02:45:11 pm »

We'll see if anyone reaches the site, its certainly possible.

It seems like Ncommander isn't going to show up. That makes it my turn, downloading now... I've updated the turn list.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 02:48:36 pm by Bralbaard »

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 20, 2013, 07:18:40 pm »

I suppose you could start a series of forts and obsidianize the entire ocean, or at least a good path to it.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 20, 2013, 07:29:28 pm »

I vote for some way to cross the ocean safely, as my adventurer will be starting on the populated island in the southeast.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 21, 2013, 03:20:27 pm »

Perhaps we should make time to respond for turn to 4-5 days otherwise you are passed up

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 22, 2013, 04:20:00 pm »

Allright, the first update:

My name is Bralbaard Mulemerchant. I am not related to Bralbaard Scaledskin, one of the founders of the museum, though we share the same first name. I do not know if it was this coincidence that awakened my interest in the museum, it could also have been that I have always felt drawn to strange places.

I visited the museum many times during my youth, the piles of books, strange skeletons, gems and other wondrous items are a sight unlike any other, and each item has a story to tell. However, a few years ago I came to realize that something is missing..

All these items were stolen or the result of violence. The museum fails to show that what should be the basis of its collection; Art!
Yes, Art! objects created by man to make the world more beautiful, not the products of destruction, thievery or murder. Ever since this revelation I have been busy learning to be an artist. The life of an artist is not easy! Only through years of training have I mastered the skill that will make me famous! I have put all my experience points in the art of knapping!

The plan is to create a collection of perfectly knapped rocks, one sharpened rock of each type of stone that can be found in the world, it will be truly a grand collection! People will come from all over the world to see my work, and it will be an inspiration for generations of artists to come. I will embark on my journey tomorrow!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:36:05 pm by Bralbaard »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #477 on: January 22, 2013, 04:22:09 pm »

Excellent. I wish you great success in your knapping venture.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 23, 2013, 01:09:37 am »

second update:

I walked out of the door of the museum and found a couple of shale rocks right next to it. I used my knapping skills to create an exceptionally sharpened shale rock, and placed it on a table in the museum, as a promise of things to come. It truly was an awesomely crafted rock.

The rest of the day I walked around trying to find other rocks. I was slightly dissapointed to learn that Dinnerwandered is build on top of a massive shale formation. I was unable to find any other type of stone. A minor setback, but I don't give up easily. One of the traders in the marketplace told me about the ruins of Sunkengem. This former mine can be found right outside Dinnerwandered and has an access tunnel to a vast cavern system below. Certainly there will be other rock types that deep down! I thanked the trader for his idea and travelled to Sunkengem. I was quickly reminded why I don't leave the city unless I have to:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yuck!, and the vermin was just a minor part of the problem at hand here. The stories I heard from the traders indicated it should have been an empty abandoned mine. In reality however Sunkengem appeared to have been invaded by hundreds, if not thousands of wild animals!

I have no clue what happened here, the elves must have somehow cursed this place, there is no way the ecosystem of the area could support such a number of animals without the involvement of dark magic. (ot: my fps, or should I say seconds per frame, turned into really ugly values here. Each step taking several seconds due to the sheer numbers of animals. Reading back in Eric Blanks report of this site I realize that the animal problem must have been here for a while, strange as it was empty when I constructed and abandoned the site)

Most of the animals were afraid of me, they formed a large creepy circle around me. However, small groups of more aggressive animals jumped out from the circle: cougars, boar and peregrine falcons lashed and clawed at me, with difficulty I managed to kill them even though I got a lot of nasty bruises. I made it to the vertical mineshaft and started descending. There were no animals down here, but it was hard to find my way in the darkness. I indeed found a huge cavern at the bottom of the stairs, but the ground was completely covered in thick sticky webbing, there was no plant or animal life down here that I could find, except for, I must asume, spiders. This was definitely the most creepy place I had ever been to. While the rocks were definitely not shale, there were no loose rocks or pebbles I could take with me for my art project, even though I looked real hard. Disappointed I returned to the surface and made my way back to Dinnerwandered through the horde of watching animals.

I decided I had to travel further to get some useful materials for knapping, I tried to convince some of my friends to join me as traveling out in the wilderness alone can be dangerous, but nobody wanted to join me. I decided to travel alone which was a mistake, as I was soon ambushed by bandits. Their leader was a bowyer, and there were at least two other guys I could see. I managed to get a tree between myself and the bowyer before he could shoot me, then decided to drop my heavy armor so I could outrun my enemies. It worked, I managed to get out of sight of the bandits and started sneaking. I had lost my armor but I was still alive.

I traveled for the entire day,slept in some village, and traveled one more day, finding nothing but shale. It seemed the world was mocking me, but they say good art can only be produced through hard work and suffering. I made it to the coast, which disappointingly was made out of shale pebbles, and fell asleep.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:24:19 am by Bralbaard »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 23, 2013, 04:48:22 am »

Yeah, there's got to be something wrong with that place... It's like the entire wildlife population is congregating there to murder adventurers who stray too near!
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 162