Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 782786 times)

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure item quest (adventure succession game)
« Reply #480 on: January 23, 2013, 11:33:59 pm »

The plan is to create a collection of perfectly knapped rocks, one sharpened rock of each type of stone that can be found in the world, it will be truly a grand collection! People will come from all over the world to see my work, and it will be an inspiration for generations of artists to come. I will embark on my journey tomorrow!
How do you plan to get raw adamantine and slade?
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 23, 2013, 11:38:16 pm »

The plan is to create a collection of perfectly knapped rocks, one sharpened rock of each type of stone that can be found in the world, it will be truly a grand collection! People will come from all over the world to see my work, and it will be an inspiration for generations of artists to come. I will embark on my journey tomorrow!
How do you plan to get raw adamantine and slade?
Thirty minutes to an hour in dwarf mode?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 24, 2013, 04:23:17 pm »

Next update: Goblins!

I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of armored boots on the loose shale pebbles. I quickly jumped to my feet and saw two goblins aproach, one armed with a mace, the other with an axe. In the moonlight I could see the scars, both on the goblins and on their weapons. It was clear that these creatures were far more experienced in combat than me: I got up and ran. Despite their heavy armor and my lack of protective clothing I could not outrun them, especially the axegob was too fast. Desperate I ran for the edge of the sea, forcing the goblins to do the same. As I ran along the coast I glanced at the deep water to the left of me, it was cold and the currents were strong, an inexperienced swimmer (like myself) could never get out once he fell in.

The axegoblin was closing in now, this was my chance. Just before he reached me, I turned around and jumped for his legs, the goblin dodged away in a reflex, lost his footing and tumbled into the sea. This enraged the other goblin; he charged at me with his mace held high. I grabbed a sharpened shale rock from my pack and threw it at him, straight at his head. In an effort to dodge the rock, this goblin too lost his balance and fell into the water.
I stared at the water for a while, and watched the goblins in their final struggle, it took them longer than expected. I had been lucky.

After this rude wake up call, I decided to move on into the Grimm Hills, cursed territory.  This reminded me about rumors I heard about settlements deep in this forsaken land. Its odd that despite the proximity of the Grimm Hills to Dinnerwandered, so little is known about this area. I decided to investigate. After a long walk through the hills, I finally saw some scattered buildings and houses on the horizon, I made it to the village just before nightfall.
A friendly voice called out at me from one of the buildings, asking if I needed a place to sleep, I turned around and was shocked to see that it was a goblin who had spoken to me. "Welcome to Boarmenace !" The creature continued. "We mean you no harm!"

I find out that the goblins truly are friendly here, we share some food, and stories, they laugh at my quest for strange rocks, saying they only know shale rocks. I fear they are right, maybe you have to be a dwarf to properly recognize the different stone types, I just can't find any! It would take me years to even start a small collection. I have failed as an artist, but I decide I'll not return to the museum empty handed. I'll have to find something worthy before I return.
I talk some more with the goblins and learn why they are friendly, asking them about their capital they tell me they are ruled from Dinnerwandered! The kingdom of Omen Woge is larger and more diverse than I thought.
Looking around the village I learn that it holds more surprises; there are dead dwarves everywhere:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The entire living population of this town is goblins. I have no clue what happened here, did the dwarves attack these remote goblin villages?  Did these dwarves come from one of the many recently build dwarven fortresses in the vicinity?
I also find a goblin prisoner, held captive by the friendly goblins.  Because I come from Dinnerwandered I can speak with some authority here. I demand the goblins to release their prisoner, so I can take him to Dinnerwandered so it can receive its just punishment. I'm not planning to do that of course, but I can use him as a travelling companion. His name is Tode nururar. Another goblin from another part of town also joins me, his name is Rosmic rozmorith.

We travel to the adjacent large town of Ruthlessmob, I'm hoping to see more of the culture of these strange goblins, but find the entire town in ruins. There's not a goblin in sight, we decide to head for the keep, as there's light burning in its windows. Me and my goblins enter the keep and happily announce ourselves when we open the door. The inhabitants will be happy to see us.

We find out that in fact they are not happy to see us. We are greeted by Snang flightyseduced, a tall goblin who introduces himself as "THE HOLY TERROR" He screams something about people he killed and attacks us. The battle takes ages, and the goblins body is completely broken and punctured before he finally dies. Judging by his perseverance, and jewelry, he must have been a vampire.
We kill another goblin royal,  and make it to the highest level of the keep. A dark female voice announces herself:
"I am Lide Dreamsquickness, goblin lawgiver!
 prepare to DIE!"

Looking around ,I'm surprised to see she is human, and very very old, with white hair and ochre eyes. She is a lot easier to defeat than the holy terror we met earlier. And so the last remnants of the royalty of this dying goblin civilisation have been put out of their misery.

We flee the town and return to Boarmenace where we sleep for the night. When we wake up its raining. Not ordinary rain, but bright, fluorescent pink mucus. The entire town looks like something from a fairytale, its all glowing in pink and purple colors.
Having abandoned my quest to gather different rocks, I decide to bring back a barrel of this weird substance for the museum. Lacking a barrel I scoop as much of the pink mucus into my backpack as I can. After breakfast we head back for Dinnerwandered. 

It takes me two days to return to the capital. Tode and Rosmic run off after the first. I can't blame them, Dinnerwandered is unlikely to accept goblin visitors even if they are part of our empire. I am sure I will miss them though.
I finally make it back to the museum, and decide to put my treasure up for display, a glorious moment.

I can't put the mucus on display in my old leaking backpack, so I run upstairs to get one of the chests from the top floors. Then something horrible happens: when I try to transfer the mucus from my backpack to the chest, somehow my backpack ruptures, and the entire contents spill on the floor.  In vain I try to scoop the mucus back up, somehow it all drains away through the floor and is lost forever....
---------------------------------

OT: Aaack!!!! so I somehow messed up with the interface there. It is all gone, curse you DF!!
I'll have to get back for more. Also I had great fun in those goblin towns, a lot of interesting things happened there...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:59:16 pm by Bralbaard »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 24, 2013, 04:54:05 pm »

Well, this is an awesome adventure. Wonder what happened to those dwarves?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 24, 2013, 05:06:51 pm »

Thus began the quest for the mythical pink mucus.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 24, 2013, 08:47:06 pm »

liquids are a pain in the arse to deal with. I once tried to keep milk for a drink source on an adventure. Accidentally spilled it all over the ground, and after that point all the milk I still had was laced with blood. Although blood-flavored eggnog is probably a favorite dwarven drink...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 26, 2013, 02:01:55 pm »

Allright, time for the next upd...

...!

Bralbaard cancels play DF succession game, seeking infant

stuff like this always happens when I try to play DF  ;).

Seriously, I couldn't be happier, mother and child are fine, couldn't be any better.
Obviously this means some delay for my DF turn. I actually had my turn finished before this all started, so all I have to do is a writeup, it may take me some time before I get to that. I'll try to upload the save earlier than that, so the game can continue. 

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 26, 2013, 02:04:13 pm »

Congratulations Bralbaard! New sprogetts are a legitimate distraction.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 26, 2013, 02:07:14 pm »

Its a better excuse than tumblr.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 26, 2013, 02:59:41 pm »

Babbies! :D
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 27, 2013, 03:00:15 pm »

Allright the savegame can be found here. I haven't used mediafire before, let me know if this doesn't work. I'll PM the next player. Obviously I did not have time to build a fortress, had some nice ideas for one but that will have to wait until next time. (I've signed up again)

I'll try to find some time to post the conclusion of my adventure somewhere this week.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 02, 2013, 11:06:12 am »

Allright, it seems like titanium chicken isn't going to show up. I'll PM NAV.
Also, here's the final chapter of my adventure:

------------------------------

I had given up on my first quest for the rock collection, but I would certainly not give up on my second. I was determined to bring a barrel of pungent mucus to the museum. This time I was going to start with a good plan. The first part of that plan was to collect a barrel, no more messing with leaky backpacks, no more accidental spills. Barrels are hard to come by, but there are places were they can be easily found: Dwarven fortresses! I would start by collecting a barrel at one of the nearby sites. Sunkengem was the closest, but I had no desire to return to that animal infested hole in the ground.
The next closest would be the Tomb of Heroes, it too lies within walking distance of Dinnerwandered, has been previously explored and should be safe, and it would give me a chance to see the grave of that other Bralbaard. I grabbed my stuff and started on my quest immediately.

After a short walk I made it to the site, and was greeted by a dwarf, He was standing over a barrel of rum.(OT, he really was, got lucky there) and waved when he saw me.

I started some idle conversation, then changed the subject to the barrel. We had almost agreed on an acceptable price for the barrel, when I noticed a sudden look of terror on the dwarf's face. I looked around and:

I am Keth Tunnelpads, Human mummy! How dare you disturb this site!

I ran away as fast as I could. The dwarf however was determined to defend his barrel of rum, for which I had promised a good price, and yelled something at the mummy. I dodged behind some bushes, made sure I was well hidden then looked back just in time to see the dwarf being torn to pieces.

The mummy started to raise some of the random corpses that were lying around and also raised the remains of the poor dwarf. After several minutes, the undead slowly dispersed and the barrel was once again unguarded. I sneaked up to the barrel of rum once more, when I heard the mummy approach from behind... There was a sharp pain in my neck, then nothing..

--------------------

OK, so that ended badly. I really was not expecting a mummy out there, I guess someone went to a lot of trouble to lure it to that site.  I did actually leave a sharpened shale rock at the museum (in my second update) which is without a doubt the most disappointing exhibit so far. There's also a smear of pungent mucus on the second floor of the museum, but that doesn't really count. I'm just going to claim that it's the journey that counts not the treasure, because I had great fun doing this...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 02:31:35 pm by Bralbaard »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 02, 2013, 11:38:38 am »

woah.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 02, 2013, 05:06:34 pm »

So, This is how my first adventure went.
   Iton Stasisship was a dwarven hero from a land far to the east. He travelled to the kingdom of Omon Woge to visit the  legendary museum and start his adventuring career. A farmer asked him to kill Bora RageDance the Allied Flesh of Nourishment, a powerful necromancer.
    He recruited two soldiers to help him on his quest, a lasher and a maceman with a flail. They visited the museum insearch or Bora. He seached the entire keep, and some of the dungeon below the museum. They killed three kobolds, but  Bora wasn't there. The goblet he added to the museum was so glorious that Iton was inspired to stop trying to kill Bora and instead become a treasure hunter.
    He started by travelling to the Tomb of Heroes, to recieve the blessings of all the dead heroes. Instead he found a mummy who cursed him then killed his lasher and maceman. Iton tried to run, but didn't make it far before the mummy caught up. He tried to fight, and managed to sever one of the mummies arms , but it didn't do any good as the mummy just reanimated it. The mummy then ended the fight with a stab to the neck.
Thus ends the story of Iton Stasisship, slayer of kobolds.
Don't go to the Tomb of Heroes.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 02, 2013, 05:46:54 pm »

That was quick, are you building a fortress now?
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 162