Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 781483 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure item quest (adventure succession game)
« Reply #525 on: February 19, 2013, 08:27:53 pm »

I would happily volunteer my services for your servitude
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 19, 2013, 09:33:37 pm »

We need you to cut yourself so we can get blood that transfers vampirism... That way nothing will survive in the sewers

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 20, 2013, 01:33:46 am »

And so, fifty years after Teshil Despairdaub the vampire overlord was murdered, another vampire rose to power in Dinnerwandered...

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 20, 2013, 02:59:42 am »

This has been a fun read so far.  Looking forward to more adventures :)
where is up?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 20, 2013, 11:14:52 am »

And so, fifty years after Teshil Despairdaub the vampire overlord was murdered, another vampire rose to power in Dinnerwandered...

Don't worry; Bora will never get the chance to do something exceptionally dangerous to the world, because there's not much to do in this version of the game, and in the next version it's almost certain that these saves won't function.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 20, 2013, 11:04:07 pm »

With Bora and company all cohabiting one itsy bitsy one room cottage, I wonder if a kindly dwarf will make it his/her duty to dig some storage rooms, guest bedrooms and maybe a larder pit to keep the food fresh. (It rubs the oil on its skin or it shall get the pike again....)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 20, 2013, 11:18:57 pm »

Or perhaps build a richly furnished "Adventurer's Bed and Breakfast" just north of Dinnerwandered in Copperwandered or something, since that place has been destroyed/abandoned as of turn 29 anyway.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 20, 2013, 11:37:05 pm »

How would the fortress building part work in the next version anyway?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 21, 2013, 12:21:39 am »

I think it's going to work pretty much the same, except that trees are going to be GINORMOUS compared to what they are currently, and the way logging is handled has almost certainly been changed (or will be, I dunno.) We'll also have the option to retire a fortress without resorting to DFhack as opposed to abandoning it. In terms of how it will all affect succession games... Not a damn clue.
I make Spellcrafts!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 21, 2013, 12:28:25 am »

Well, the fact that 100% of settlements will actually be in the game should very much enhance adventurer mode.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 21, 2013, 07:52:23 am »

I'm excited for the next version. How's the turn coming along, Mr W.?

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 21, 2013, 02:42:31 pm »

I haven't played since the last update. I'm planning on writing another update and playing through the exploration of Silverywinds tonight.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How will the new version look?
« Reply #537 on: February 21, 2013, 05:08:12 pm »

I modded all the races in Masterwork Mod to "build cities" "have banditry" "build roads" and "build walls".  The I genned a 250 year old world with just five races.  More than five crashed the game, there were so many interactions.  However, because dwarven Mountainhomes exist as towns and cities in the human style, with various nasties in their sewers, and Goblins also had their own cities, with divergent factions of goblins in THEIR sewers (the history of goblin vs goblin warfare is fun to read on some of the world gens.), all that meant that there was elf, human and dwarf sized equipment all over the place too.  Going from dwarf to elf controlled areas, for instance, actually changes the nature of the stuff found in those civs, which is pretty cool.  Also, the Frogmen civilization being amphibious, populates throughout the seas as well - I imagine the town sites are these little specks of land or something now, which would make great embark areas for ocean spanning bridge-builders who bring all their supplies with them.

Anyway, if you go check out the nascent community game in my sig link, I think I posted a world map showing all the civ sites, each of which is explorable in adventure mode.  Of course, everything is shaped using the Human code, so no humungous trees or extensive goblin/kobold/dwarven underground sites or tunnels (since none of these have been implemented yet), but it's the best I could do with the material I have.

Nobody seems interested in actually playing the game, but the world is given freely for people, if they want to mess around with it.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 22, 2013, 04:08:43 pm »

Once that new version comes out... I can finally play a dwarf

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dinnerwandered Gazeteer
« Reply #539 on: February 22, 2013, 07:54:28 pm »

Here's what I have so far:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

None of the streets have any names, but except for one road that passes through Dinnerwandered from the south and west, all of them are 3 tiles wide.  So this is my thought:  Call the big 7 tile wide road something like "King's Boulevard" and then use the Outer Wall gates as focal points, with "North Gate Road", "East Gate Road" and "South Gate Road" leading through those respective gates and being main roads that extend out in a more or less straight line until they end in a "T" like North Gate Road and East Gate Road do, or feed into King's Boulevard like West Gate Road does.

You'll notice that pretty much of the whole south eastern quadrant of Dinnerwandered is an agricultural area, so those roads will be "Rural routes", except for the one going past the store in sector N-11, which will be "Buttering Way", (Using the last part of the store's name, "The Frills of Buttering").

It's a little arbitrary, but here's the road naming convention I was thinking of for the rest of Dinnerwandered: 
   After naming King's Boulevard and the various "Gate" roads, the next set of roads should be named after the bridges they cross.  I haven't checked on those bridge names yet, so I don't know what those roads will be named, but that's the next step.  After that, any roads without names will use the last part of the shop nearest to a named road's name followed by way, street, lane ect... whatever sounds right.  After that, any still unnamed roads passing through the same sector as part of the Inner or Outer Walls will be named by that landmark, such as "North Wall Lane".  After that, any unnamed roads will be named after any wells that they happen to pass by.  Example: "Gneiss Well Road".  And lastly, any still unnamed roads without any features around them to give them a name will become "Alleys" connecting two other roads and be arbitrarily named by anyone who wants to give it a name, like "Three Kobolds Alley" or "Drifter's Alley" or whatever.

Before I go to it though, does the group have any objections to this, or any other suggestions?

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 162