Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 781044 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure item quest (adventure succession game)
« Reply #570 on: March 02, 2013, 03:00:19 pm »

Upon awaking, the two descended the stairs one more level to find themselves in a sort of central plaza, with largish halls leading to the north, east, and south, and four doors along the wall to the west. Strangely, there was a chasm in front of these doors, and Feb and Adil could only enter via a bridge that connected the northernmost doors to the central room. Inside, they found a dining hall, which was designed in a fashion so that none of the dwarves could sit together. Even Feb, being from Ishenmistem, thought this was strange; she and her compratriots, though they lacked most luxuries, could still enjoy rounds upon rounds of watered-down dwarven wine with each other in one of Ishenmistem's long, rotting, wooden dining tables. The walls of the dining hall were made of flux and adorned with engravings, however, so that was something. There were also the corpses of two giant snakes, that Adil identified as black mambas, lying in the dining room. Feb readied her spear and shield (which was a simultaneous action).

Following one of the large ramps, the two found a large food and drink stockpile. The two feasted on various preserved roasts they found, and washed it all down with a large helping of ale. Feb stuffed several exceptionally cooked goose egg roasts into her bag. The two then ascended the ramp and went back to the central staircase. Exploring the hallways stemming from the plaza, Feb found three large apartments, probably the homes of the noble class of Luckystream. Being that Feb herself was looking for a comfortable place to stay, she checked out the apartments. Although they were large, they were not lavishly furnished. Even though they were better than Ishenmistem's queen's living quarters by a long shot, Feb wasn't too impressed. Maybe this was because, subconsciously, she didn't want to settle down at all. Maybe all she wanted to do was keep adventuring, which put a unique sensation in her heart, especially now that she had someone to share the excitement with.

On the level below that of the dining hall and noble apartments, Feb found where the average dwarves lived. It was a network of passageways, the each of which had doors lining it. The doors each led to a tiny room, fit only with a bed and piles of dwarven possessions where they could fit. It was cramped, and the two dwarves could barely fit in the same room at once, and it was a huge struggle to get out of one once they had. After poking her head into a few doors, Feb decided this would not be a profitable exploratory venture, and returned to the staircase to go down another level.

On that level, she found a large stonecrafting workshop, with stations set up for several masons, stonecrafters, and mechanics. Beside that was a huge stockpile, full of mechanisms, crafts, clothes, and a large assortment of other finished goods. Feb could have picked through the goods for days on end, but decided that that would be quite tedious and carried on exploring.  To the east she found a workshop devoted to leatherworking, and at the southern end of the level, she found two burial rooms. One had three rows of stone coffins, with minimal furnishings. The other had a many engravings on the walls and floors of limestone that it was carved out of, and it had beautiful statues adorning it. Additionally, it had a smaller density of coffins, implying that this room was reserved for exceptional dwarves. There was also a room at the back of the ornate toom, which led to an even more exclusive tomb.

Feb left the tombs and went south, finding a mineshaft, which she descended, only to find the shaft shallow and the malachite mines it connected to empty of ore and of dwarves.

Returning to the spiral staircase and going down to the next level, Feb found a cloth stockpile, and a room covered in blood. In the more interesting room, she found two dead dwarves and the militated corpse of a colossal beast lying in an immense pool of blood.

Adil stayed in the doorway and said a prayer for the poor souls of the unfortunate dwarves, while Feb rifled through the bins in the room looking for treasure. She found cloth, and kicked a bin over in her frustration while a single tear rolled down Adil's cheek. Moving on, Feb found only a set of clothier's shops to the east and more bedrooms to the south, so she continued on down the stairs.

After walking down the stairs for quite a distance, and having to stop to rest multiple times, Feb finally found another level of the fortress. Walking through a door to the west, Feb found something disturbing.

When she looked at Adil, he looked just as surprised as she did. They returned to the staircase without breathing a word and continued further down.

She continued down another large expanse of stairs until she reached the end of the central staircase, far beneath the earth. At the base of the stairs there was a passage leading north, where there was another staircase of equal size leading further down. There was also a fortification allowing Feb to see a patch of fungus-covered floor.

Down the stairs and a series of large ramps Feb and Adil went, until they arrived at Luckystream's magma forges and smelters. Connected directly to the smelters was a bar stockpile, which was directly connected to a mine. While taking a brief peak at the mine to see what sort of ores and gems were mined there, Feb stumbled at something heart attack-inducing.

Feb jumped backwards and yelled "ADIL! HELP!"

Adil charged at it, steel axe held high and began chopping wildly. While he hacked at and grappled with the beast, Feb threw the steel bolts she had collected at it, careful not to hit Adil as he wildly flailed around.

Although the beast was a worthy opponent, Adil crushed it in a fit of murderous fury, taking no wound himself. However, he did get quite a lot of sinister blood on him. Luckily, most of his skin was covered by cloth and armor. However, he might have gotten some in his mouth.

Knowing not whether Adil had just contracted a deadly syndrome, the two carried on back to the forges. In one of them, Feb spotted a legendary feat of metalcrafting. It seemed too beautiful to leave behind, but she couldn't work out a practical way to carry it with her, so she, regretfully, left it where it was.

With that, Feb left the level of mines and forges via the ramp she entered from. Confident she had explored the full extent of Luckystream's subterranean portion, she returned topside to get one final look at the place before leaving.

She took a set of steel arrows from the ammunition stockpile directly below the surface. She noticed that the main gate had been opened, and was about to leave through it when Adil stopped her. He told her that they should close the gate before they leave because all of the other dwarves would be too lazy to shut it themselves, and a goblin siege was always imminent. So, Feb, new bronze armor, artifact grate, steel bolts, and new companion in tow, pulled several of the many levers she had pulled before, shutting the gate, and climbed the ramparts of the fortress. She hopped off the wall and was outside again. Adil, a bit freightened of hights, opted to take the trapped bridge and get out that way. Feb met him at the exit of the bridge and the two left Luckystream, never to return. They walked for a long while to the southeast, Feb explaining her fey mood, the museum, and all the other adventures she had had since leaving Ishenmistem as they did so.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 03, 2013, 02:50:38 am »

Epic! Let us know if Adil develops any medical problems.

I'm used to things like sharks and such wash up on the shore and suffocate, but a sea serpent seems pretty rare. Has this happened to anyone else? Anyway, I took its eye as a seuvenier (I didn't want to weigh Feb down with the skull or scales).

Extremely rare I would think, according to this legendary forum topic they only occur in savage oceans, and then, only one per biome. I do not know which of our oceans are savage but it might have been the only sea serpent in the world, or one of a very limited number.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 02:52:22 am by Bralbaard »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 03, 2013, 08:27:35 am »

I have been training on a savage beach in one of my adventurer mode games. No fewer than THREE sea serpents have washed up while I have been sleeping.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 03, 2013, 11:02:20 am »

Yeah I encountered another beached sea serpent while resting on the way to the museum. Adil decapitated it.

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #574 on: March 03, 2013, 02:57:12 pm »

So, does this allow kobold adventurers? I'm thinking I could bring glory to the museum. After all, kobolds are born thieves.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 03, 2013, 03:15:45 pm »

I made it! Before I submit my wrap up update, I have a few questions. One: if I submit the artifact grate and Feb's masterpiece, will they be counted as separate exhibits (I request they be, but I've never seen any other adventurer submit more than one exhibit at once, so if it's not allowed I won't mind). Two: does anyone know if Adil will be seperated from Feb if I retire her in the city, or will he just return home? I plan on using Feb as my adventurer when I do my second turn in this game, and I would like Adil to keep her company. Also, would everyone please leave Feb (and possibly Adil) alone while they wait for the adventurous spirit (myself) to possess them again? Also, please don't take their awesome equipment, as tempting as that may be.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 03, 2013, 03:30:06 pm »

So, does this allow kobold adventurers? I'm thinking I could bring glory to the museum. After all, kobolds are born thieves.

The game isn't modded to permit one to play as kobolds, no. But it's still pretty damn entertaining.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 03, 2013, 03:30:56 pm »

You could play as a human with a severe head injury who believed he was a kobold.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 03, 2013, 03:41:17 pm »

I made it! Before I submit my wrap up update, I have a few questions. One: if I submit the artifact grate and Feb's masterpiece, will they be counted as separate exhibits (I request they be, but I've never seen any other adventurer submit more than one exhibit at once, so if it's not allowed I won't mind). Two: does anyone know if Adil will be seperated from Feb if I retire her in the city, or will he just return home? I plan on using Feb as my adventurer when I do my second turn in this game, and I would like Adil to keep her company. Also, would everyone please leave Feb (and possibly Adil) alone while they wait for the adventurous spirit (myself) to possess them again? Also, please don't take their awesome equipment, as tempting as that may be.

You'll have to choose one item, or a collection of similar items (like the collection of books or the necromancers treasure, which is a collection of gems etc). You can submit more items, but they won't be listed in the list of museum items. If I understand correctly Timeless Bob might make a catalogue of the secondary items people submitted in the future.

Since I started (and mostly failed) to collect a collection of sharpened rocks, you could add your rock to this collection, that would make it a part of one of the official museum entries (#11 in the list). The rock is on the rightmost of the tables in the northern end of the exhibit hall.
You could then submit the artifact grate as your second item. Because of the bugs associated with artifacts, it will however almost certainly disappear after you dropped it and reload the area, unless you found it in a barrel or chest, and brought it inside this container. We could of course pretend it's still at the museum, like we do with the artifact amulet. For a real permanent exhibit the sea serpent eye could also work. Anyhow, let us know what your official submission will be. 

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 03, 2013, 03:46:39 pm »

Well, since the sharpened rock has been sort of the focal point of the story (at least at the beginning), and it's very important to Feb, I think I'll be submitting that as my standalone submission, as apposed to adding it to your rock collection. As for the grate, would it be possible to add it to the amulet's entry as part of an artifact collection? If not, I'll just leave it here as a secondary submission to be forgotten about since, really, a wooden grate is not very impressive.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 03, 2013, 03:49:03 pm »

Well done team Feb!  Let me be the first to offer my kudos to you.  If the Bralbaard doesn't mind, why don't you choose one item to be your main contribution, and the other item to be your secondary one.  There are quite a few non-primary contributions that will need to be tidied up and put on display (or sold in the gift shop if they have little enough value) and as the self appointed curator, I will do my best to work with any surviving adventurer in the city to display them in the Museum according to their wishes.

In other news, I'm currently working on a HUGE iso-map of Dinnerwandered and the surrounding countryside (including the pyramid of Sunkengem) and have thought that if I were to use "Embark Everywhere" to make the Museum and Inner Wall into a fortress/lair, I would be able to tidy the place up a bit, set the tables up properly, so that they can be used to display our many collected marvels and even perhaps add a viewing gallery and/or set of private suites to house and feed visiting travelers.  Of course, this would all be only with the explicit permission of Bralbaard, as it is his game after all.  Of course, once the Museum has been transformed into a Fortress/lair, players would be able to "reclaim" it and use that reclaim to set up their new acquisitions appropriately.  (The ability to use some of the sub-basements for storage would be quite handy as well) Another thought occurred to me: perhaps Dinnerwandered would begin to be repopulated with dwarves "fleeing" the Museum once their tasks were completed.  Our great city would need never fear depopulation like the other non-dwarven civilizations in our world.  Heck, if Humans were modded to be a playable race in Fortress mode, the city would even have new Humans emigrating in to repopulate it.  However, I do wonder if Dinnerwandered might not become the center of civilization in the coming "Age of Dwarves".

Anyway, back to crafting HUGE iso-map of the city!

(Anybody mind if I just start naming the streets according to the process I described previously?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 03:56:03 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 03, 2013, 03:51:30 pm »

Hmmm, how about this: I'll add the sharpened rock to the museum as a separate entry, then I'll mention in the description that you could choose between the artifact wooden grate, and submitted the stone because it was obviously of superior quality :-). That way the wooden grate will at least be mentioned.

Also, I fear it may be hard to find Adil back after you retire. He might stick around in Dinnerwandered, but dinnerwandered is a big place.

(Anybody mind if I just start naming the streets according to the process I described previously?

No that's absolutely fine, looking forward to the map.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 03:55:29 pm by Bralbaard »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 03, 2013, 04:04:37 pm »

In other news, I'm currently working on a HUGE iso-map of Dinnerwandered and the surrounding countryside (including the pyramid of Sunkengem) and have thought that if I were to use "Embark Everywhere" to make the Museum and Inner Wall into a fortress/lair, I would be able to tidy the place up a bit, set the tables up properly, so that they can be used to display our many collected marvels and even perhaps add a viewing gallery and/or set of private suites to house and feed visiting travelers.

A good idea, but this would likely introduce several bugs into the game:

-Items would start to scatter around, but this could be prevented by retiring it as a lair.
-loyalty cascades: somehow using embark everywhere in a city causes part of the people in the area to turn into enemies.
-If the place is retired as a proper fortress, and people retire their characters in it, they will always be found at the museum, this sounds like a good idea, but adventurers don't always get along: especially necromancers would start raising museum exhibits causing things to get out of hand quickly. Currently people retired in Dinnerwandered will stay safely away from the keep, I've never seen one of the adventurers visiting.
-There's this bug that causes fortresses that are reloaded very often (10+ times?) to be overrun by animals, causing fps death. This can be seen in Sunkengem in our game, or in the other adventure game (adventure retirement home) where the retirement home seems to have fallen to chaos. The other bugs could be worked around, but this last one seems like a show-stopper.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 04:31:58 pm by Bralbaard »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 03, 2013, 05:01:52 pm »

Sounds good to me! The masterwork sharp ryhollite, crafted by Feb Minesizzled as a result of a fey mood, is now located on the marble table just west of the book collection, in the center of the museum. As for the grate, which will probably disappear, I left it on one of the tables on the western side of the building. I can still see it, but, as expected, cannot see its graphic or pick it up. As for the amulet, I can't find it anywhere.

And with that, Feb and her companion Adil retired in one of Dinnerwandered's human buildings, promising to repay her rent with the stash of gems she left in a far-off corner of the world. While it is unlikely that her landlord believed her story, he wasn't about to call a steel-clad, battle-hardened dwarf out on it, so he let them stay with the promise that they would repay him as soon as they got around to digging up their buried treasure. Although it would be some time before the two ever went adventuring again, they kept their armor and weapons polished, always ready for action. In her spare time, Feb returned to stonecrafting, which was a challenge with only one functional arm. Although she never made anything as impressive as the still-unnamed artifact now on display in the museum, her rock toys were a hit among Dinnerwandered's human children. Adil spent his time killing outlaws that roamed the sewers and streets of the city at night, even though he could no longer walk due to an unfortunate accident involving two alligators. In this way the two lived happily for many years, but not forever as in a fairy tale. Their inevitable demise is simply yet to come. After all, this is Dwarf Fortress.

Save

Edit: and here's Feb's complete journey, starting southwest of Silverywind, and ending at the museum.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 05:06:05 pm by MrWillsauce »

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 03, 2013, 05:41:21 pm »

That was quite the journey!  Killed a cavern beast and everything. 

Interesting to note that very few adventurers seem to have gone down to the cavern layers at all.  Guess the chance of getting completely lost down there is pretty high.  I once tried to go under a mountain range on several adventurers (it had a pair of caves on either side).  Many went down, none returned.  The trouble is that the ramps leading back to the surface (in a natural cave) look exactly like every other ramp.  If you have a fort to pop out of, with a clearly marked staircase, it becomes much less troublesome.  Oh, and much swimming is involved. 

The rock makes most sense as the museum piece since we know it won't up and vanish inexplicably, like the grate probably will.  Artifacts probably deserve an honorable mention, if only to say how mysterious it was that they inexplicably vanished. 

-There's this bug that causes fortresses that are reloaded very often (10+ times?) to be overrun by animals, causing fps death. This can be seen in Sunkengem in our game, or in the other adventure game (adventure retirement home) where the retirement home seems to have fallen to chaos. The other bugs could be worked around, but this last one seems like a show-stopper.

It isn't clear that it is the animals causing the fps-issues.  Some other experiments show that it might be spatter and item duplication (real item and a fake entry in a the lookup table, resulting in a doubling) on every reload.  The animals are obviously duplicating as well (after revisiting one fortress on several adventurers and then reclaiming, I found no fewer than 200 olm men wandering the caverns) but it (probably) isn't the most serious of the issues.  Hopefully all of this is fixed in the upcoming dwarf fortress update (since Toady did mention "cleaning up" reclaims).  Some advice: if you want to keep a fort in good condition as long as possible, don't let adventurers sleep in it, as this seems to amplify the issue. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 05:42:56 pm by Caldfir »
where is up?
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 162