Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 781753 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure item quest (adventure succession game)
« Reply #600 on: March 10, 2013, 04:22:56 pm »

As the museum currently stands, it only has one or two vacant tables. I think it's time to install some more, possibly on the second floor.

The above message triggered me to mess a bit with the current save game. Since we haven't heard from Don Blake yet, I guess we could continue with this new save game, as it has some improvements.

The save game can be found here: turn 30b

I've reclaimed the factory at Sunkengem, and the museum has a batch of new tables, they have been placed at the ground floor, we still had plenty of room there. Sunkengem has now been retired using DFhack , which means adventurers can retire in Sunkengem (their safety is not ensured though). All the dwarves there act like they are at home. FPS at the site seems to be back into the green for now.

The adventurer I had to create because someone had to drag the new tables from Sunkengem to the museum, Hode Plungesouls, should be considered a valid quest target. I did create him with that purpose in mind.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 04:24:51 pm by Bralbaard »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 10, 2013, 04:24:41 pm »

Were the animals a problem when reclaiming? Also, I should have said something earlier, it would be cool to have tables made of adamantine or other precious metals for especially impressive submissions to be placed on.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 10, 2013, 04:33:38 pm »

I'm going to remain silent about what happened in Sunkengem...

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 10, 2013, 05:15:33 pm »

I'm going to download this save and do a bit of poking around with Feb. Don't worry, I won't post any spoilers.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 12, 2013, 01:56:40 pm »

Today it's one year ago since the museum opened its doors.
According to the forum topic's statistics we've had 20594 visitors in that year, not bad

Don blake did not respond, that makes it Atomic Chicken's turn.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 13, 2013, 12:24:18 am »

It's too bad we're not using the Masterwork Mod on this world - there are little buildings called "Display cases" made out of a block and whatever you want to display.  I was playing a personal dwarf-only world the other day and was thinking how awesome all those display cases would look in our Museum.  Ah well...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 13, 2013, 12:54:35 am »

It's too bad we're not using the Masterwork Mod on this world - there are little buildings called "Display cases" made out of a block and whatever you want to display.  I was playing a personal dwarf-only world the other day and was thinking how awesome all those display cases would look in our Museum.  Ah well...

You can only build buildings in dorf mode...

Also, genesis has those buildings, as does LFR, as does pretty much every single large mod ever made :V it's a really popular inclusion.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 13, 2013, 01:07:31 am »

I dont think theres any real use for the display cases in an adventure mode-oriented game. Theyd only prevent us from collecting the items they display unless the fortress' creator designed a special mechanism to break it down.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 13, 2013, 11:47:07 am »

Hmm true.  Unless the display cases themselves were portable - sorta like the artifact-in-a-bin thing that was mentioned before.  Regardless, I was less complaining than musing aloud. (atext?)

A different musing struck me as I woke up this morning - all those critters in Sunkengem...  Seems to me that sounds very much like bone tables, bone chairs and prepared meals to go as a reclaim. In adventure mode it sounds like instant training zone for new companions.  So long as a necromancer doesn't show up - then... Dinnerwandered's near neighbor might become vector zero for a zombie apocalypse.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 13, 2013, 02:35:38 pm »

Display cases are workshops, like craftsdwarves' workshops and bowyer's workshops. They can't be portable.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 14, 2013, 03:24:52 pm »

An excerpt from the journal of Thel Indigozephyrs, human of Amilanthath

2nd of Slate, 1101
I had a meeting with the village elder today. He told me of a creature who was hiding in our hamlet, preying on the innocent; a vampire. It was whispered that this creature of the night silently entered dwellings under the cover of darkness, and drank the blood of his victims while they slept. Over a hundred villagers had already fallen to the beast. The elder then demanded an impossible task of me. Handing me his old iron sword, he ordered me to rally the other villagers and kill Obu Zephyrgripped, the cursed man he suspected was responsible for the murders. I gulped, accepting the sword. How was I, a lone peasant, going to face such a fearsome creature?

After a little inquiring, I found the vampire in a cottage, together with a number of peasants. I realised that he was wearing several pieces of grotesque jewellery that appeared to be made of human bone. I stepped forward, sword in hands, and boldy announced Obu a vampire to everyone in the room. To my surprise, Obu did not deny the accusation-he simply smiled, curling his lips to reveal, long yellow fangs caked with dry blood.

Then he struck, faster than any normal man should have been able to, swinging his knife into the nearest villager, tearing his arm. Immediately, the other villagers turned upon him. The vampire was fast, but he was outnumbered. He put up good fight, but was eventually put to an end with a swipe from my sword.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 14, 2013, 09:07:20 pm »

Neat! Test his blood for the gift!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 15, 2013, 02:03:35 pm »

My fame as a vampire slayer grew quickly. As I was walking through the street, I was approached by a hooded figure who beckoned me to him. The man led me towards a small hut at the end of the road. Although unaware of the man’s intentions, I followed him into the dwelling. I was surprised to find the village elder awaiting me inside. With him was the retired hunter, Thixel Ngospumac. The two old men told me about how, in their youth, they had also hunted vampires. They taught me how to correctly identify a vampire from a regular man. Then, they gave me a list of people whom they strongly suspected were vampires, and asked me to put an end to them.

I decided to accept their task, and left my hamlet, Merchantseal, as a vampire hunter.

I decided that my first target would the be vampire who went by the name of Mones Kullecit, who resided in Sunkrasps a hamlet neighbouring Merchantseal. Eventually, I found the vampire in a cottage to the northeast of the hamlet. Chanting the incantation taught to me by the old hunter, I revealed the man’s true form; that of a vampire.

The villagers immediately swarmed over him. I also attacked him, and when I came in for the final swipe, he had already been greatly weakened. Within moments, his head was at my feet.

My next target was Ustres Crestedcomets, a vampire who hid in the hamlet called Reinmansion.

I found Ustres in a small house on the outskirts of the village. I charged at him, together with the rest of the villagers, but the vampire simply dodged us and counter-striked. A villager fell at the spot.

The vampire suddenly turned towards me and struck at my knee, fracturing it. The pain was excruciating.  I fell to my knees and crawled to the corner of the building in desperation. The fighting continued, but it was plain that the few peasants that remained alive were doomed. As I laid there, awaiting my imminent death, I realised that I was lying in a pool of the vampire’s blood.  I suddenly remembered an old tale from my childhood, about a man who had drunk the blood of a vampire, only to become one himself. Glancing at the vampire, swiftly killing off the last few peasants, I made what must have been the craziest decision of my life. I scooped up a handful of blood and drank it.

Suddenly, the pain in my leg receded and I felt stronger and faster. I realised that I was no longer panting for breath, indeed I was not breathing at all. I got up and swung my sword at the vampire once more. To my surprise Ustres did not dodge it in time as he had avoided my other attempts, and I slashed my sword across his arm, tearing it. For a moment, I noticed a look of shock in Ustres’ eyes, but it quickly turned to hate as he struck me, tearing my right arm, making me drop the  sword. Thrusting my shield at him, I picked up my sword again, amazed at the fact that I felt no pain even though my arm was torn open. A few slashes later, and Ustres was dead, just as those who had come before him.

I stared at the corpse beneath my feet. I suddenly became aware of the blood covering my the corpse and was overcome by a great desire to feed. Kneeling down, I drank all the blood I could find, and filled all my pouches and waterskins with it. Then I stopped, horrified at my actions. What had I done? What had I become?

I had become that which I hunted. I had become a vampire.

I turned, and fled the village, never to return.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:08:11 pm by Atomic Chicken »
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 15, 2013, 07:37:18 pm »

And that makes 2 player vampires. Out of how many tries?
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 16, 2013, 12:34:40 am »

Too damn many. Come on, guys, what's your excuse? :P

Chicken; your destiny is now to join me in eternal glory, and hunt down our competition!
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 162