Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 781740 times)

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure item quest (adventure succession game)
« Reply #615 on: March 16, 2013, 07:46:27 am »

For those who did not quite catch on to the gist of this:
filled all my pouches and waterskins with it.

Vampire blood for everyone!
I only hope that it retains its syndrome transferring properties.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 16, 2013, 01:40:32 pm »

For all the vampires throughout history that eventually become nobility, I do wonder if Vampire blood isn't rather blueish in hue.  What do you guys think?  Are Vampires the dwarf fortress version of the gentry?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 16, 2013, 02:20:37 pm »

Remember that vampires cannot simply drink blood spatters to alleviate their thirst; they must feed from a nearby, unconscious creature.

Also, go explore the ocean and bring back the corpse of a sea serpent.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 16, 2013, 10:31:25 pm »

When you feel the need to consume warm blood, DO NOT drink from a child. Their tiny bodies don't hold enough blood for even the slightest of thirsts to be satisfied without killing them. I made this mistake in one adventure, and it depressed me so much I had to retire that character despite the bitchin' cave dragon scale cloak she crafted from the body of one of her targets.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 16, 2013, 11:09:17 pm »

Regret? What sort of DF player harbours regret?

Ok... So there are some things I regret doing as well. Like setting a child on fire to steal her clothes to sell...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 17, 2013, 08:45:25 am »

For those who did not quite catch on to the gist of this:
filled all my pouches and waterskins with it.

Vampire blood for everyone!
I only hope that it retains its syndrome transferring properties.

The sewers are no longer safe. I love you

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 17, 2013, 09:26:32 am »

Also, go explore the ocean and bring back the corpse of a sea serpent.
I left one of them on the corpse of the beach to the southeast of Luckystream, and a pile of butchered sea serpent bits a little north of that. If you want to find a sea serpent, the best way to do it is simply to rest on the shore of a savage beach and wait for them to come to you, not go out looking for them in the water.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dinnerwandered Gazeteer
« Reply #622 on: March 19, 2013, 12:25:34 pm »

I have finally (FINALLY) finished the Dinnerwandered and surrounding regions isometric map. 
So that I don't break your computers too badly, here are two resolutions of it:

20% size
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Full size

You can see the stepped pyramid of Sunkengem just north of King's Boulevard as it exits to the west.  In the small picture, it's a little difficult to see - it fades right into the surrounding area at that resolution.

I'll be working on the "sewer tour" maps of "Bottledcave the Stoked Pits" as well as the Grottocavern catacomb maps once I interview any adventurers who have explored those areas and still live.  (I suppose a necromancer might be helpful in reviving any explorers who have not survived their explorations, but only if the revived body still retains their memories and the ability to communicate, which is highly questionable given the current anecdotal evidence of the undead.)

I'll be working on naming the streets, placing shop signs and inventorying all contributions to the Museum, from whom and on which date.  I should have these all taken care of as time permits.

If anyone wishes to download any of the Dinnerwandered pics I've posted in this group thus far, they are free to download from my deviantart site http://taowithit.deviantart.com/ for no charge.

Until next time!

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 20, 2013, 01:19:47 am »

Amazing, how did you make those? I thought you made it by stitching a lot of pictures together, but there's this haze over the picture that would never work that way. Also, the situation at Sunkemgem may have changed a bit, but I agree we shouldn't spoil that in this picture. I'll update the first post with a link to this later today, editing large post is difficult from a mobile device. Great work.

Also,is there any news atomic chicken? The adventurers guild is anxiously waiting for your return, now that they have heard what you will bring..

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 20, 2013, 01:33:21 am »

The pictures have to be stitched - the fog gets turned off for large stonesense screenshots, so those couldn't have been made that way, not to mention I can guarantee trying to do so would crash the game (I know - I've rewritten the stonesense large screenshot function like 15 times).  The only way I'm aware of to get that kind of picture is by diligently and carefully walking over the entire area and stitching the images together, while being careful to maintain the same camera elevation.  Lots of work!
where is up?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dinnerwandered Gazeteer
« Reply #625 on: March 20, 2013, 03:51:42 am »

I used the "Embark everywhere" function on successive forts with 7 peasants and no supplies.  I wasn't aware that big shots could be gotten from Stonesense - I used the "<" once to get a smaller view then "F2" and "n" to remove the border frame and names.  I'd bring the screen in-game up to a level that showed the highest elevation of the entire set of forts that I wanted to encompass with the map then pressed "2" repeatedly until one level below the lowest elevation was showing.

Starting in the Northwest corner, I embarked a fortress covering 2 extra squares around the edge, so I could frame the city with the surrounding countryside and took a screen capture with Stonesense at full screen.  I'd port that over to Paint as a bmp image then erase the top and left window frame sections by moving the image up and to the left before resizing it from the bottom and right to erase the bottom and right sections of frame.  Once the image was only showing that isometric section, I'd resize the image to 50%, (I tried doing this with the initial image in Stonesense by using the "<" twice, but the resulting picture was much more blurry than using Paint's resize tool), copy/paste that over to the map in progress, (using the eyedropper tool to designate the light blue sky color as a "transparent" background) then scroll the Stonesense map over using trees and building sides as "landmarks" (overlapping trees and building sides helps to ensure that the image has synced in a pixel perfect manner so that no off-section tiling artifacts rear their ugly heads), then repeat the whole process all over again.  I'm not sure what happened to that section on the north strip - I was probably just tired and hadn't set the initial height high on the dwarf fortress map enough to make the colors match.  That's the kind of off-section artifact thingy I was talking about before, but once I'd started in on the west edge, I remember thinking, "Good enough - I don't want to redo all those fiddly farm bushes again, just leave it."  So I did.

Anyway, in order not to have all these wagons and dwarves cluttering up the landscape all over the place, I'd designate them all as "carpenters" and set up a meeting and pen area, plus a 3x3 wood pile down at the bottom of the map, then have them disassemble the cart and tote the wood down there.  I did all my mapping on "pause"  Once I got to the point where Stonesense showed them again, I re-designated the meeting area/pen and woodpile to the top of the map and waited the few moments while they ported everything up there before hitting "pause" and finishing up that section of the map.  The result: no wagons or peasants show up anywhere.

Every once in awhile, a floating window or statue would show up in the sky and I had to erase those and sometimes make the sections certain sizes so that they didn't show up in the final map, which was a bit of a challenge, but other than that, I just repeated the same process about 350-400 times.  I would have liked to have less of a smoky pall over all the buildings, but my wife says it gives the picture more "depth", so I guess its a good thing after all.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 20, 2013, 04:29:28 am »

This map is current circa 1091. 
That's the problem with maps: they're obsolete pretty much right off the printing press.

I was checking around the Museum as a prelude to compiling an inventory and have only found one book from Kromgar's stash - anyone know where the rest of them are stashed?

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 20, 2013, 04:09:37 pm »

At the arrow. There´s a backpack in that stash that has even more books in it (if you scroll beyond the body parts and worn clothing)
There are a lot of books.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:13:54 pm by Bralbaard »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 20, 2013, 06:54:40 pm »

The three necromancers who were lynched in the Open Market came from the same place: Pinescamp Tower.  Legend (mode) has it that there have been necromancers in that tower since before the beginning of recorded history, so some of those books may be more than a thousand years old!

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 21, 2013, 08:26:48 pm »

I've been carefully sorting through the books in the Museum and have found a trio of startling truths:

1) There are books in the Museum unmentioned in Legends mode, even after they've been read in Adventure mode.

2) Some of the book content from Legends mode "Artifacts" disagrees with what you read in Adventure mode. 

3) Books will "go missing" or spontaneously reorganize themselves inside their storage packs from one adventurer to the next.

Also, I am pleased to announce that one of the books looted from Pinescamp Tower is a "Dinnerwandered: A Brief History" (It doesn't show up in Legends mode, but it does give me the chance to use it as a reference for my delvings into Dinnerwandered's history.)  There are also several books dealing with the practice of necromancy, among them my favorite: A short poem called "Sleep, My Love". 

I'm thinking that the nearby rooms of Dungeons of Obeisance below the Museum might make for a good library, if the books were separated into essays, guides, poems and autobiographies and also organized by author and date of authorship.  I was looking at those random empty alder chests scattered about and thinking how perfect they'd be as "book cases".  (Incidentally, clear glass chests would do nicely as portable display cases, don't you think? Perhaps the masterwork bug could be overcome using glass chests and bins... just a thought.)  Anyway, that room to the northeast of the stair (-1st floor) with a viewing platform all around and a stair down to the room below (-2nd floor) seems like a good place for a library.  That big room with all the statues to the south of the stair (-1st floor) also seems like a nice place to set up the gift shop.  Of course, adventurers might need to thin out the kobolds deeper in the dungeons every once in awhile, but that's also all to the good: More knickknacks for the gift shop!  I'm not sure where the cafe should go yet, but I'm sure that'll shake out by the time I officially arrive as a curator for the Museum.  Fortunately, there's that exotic foods merchant just outside of the Inner Gate, so whenever the cafe gets set up, we can easily stock and restock it with food.  I'll have to look around for a place that sells potables though.  Too bad there's no Dwarven Brewery nearby, eh?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:35:44 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 162