Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 781368 times)

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure item quest (adventure succession game)
« Reply #735 on: April 14, 2013, 12:04:56 pm »

Well... killing a thrall would be pretty hard... If i can take control of my adventurer and flee in time I could run to the museum and grab the adamantine axe... because the thrall is immediately going to become hostile and create a loyalty cascade of epic proportions
Now why would you want to kill Nil? Its not like he would stab you successively, raise you as a mindless minion, binding your soul to your lifeless body, and use you as a (disposable) pawn in his campaign to conquer the world, raising you every time you fall, before finally forcing you to descend to the depths with him and cast you into the abyss. He's really quite friendly, why don't you stop by for tea sometime?

Also, I visited the retirement home for a test, and found that there is actually no visible loyalty cascade effect. The necromancers (thrall) immediately turned upon the living within the house, which included a couple of NPCs. Once the living were dead, they returned to the retirement home, and remained there peacefully. The vampire (atomic chicken's character) ignored the living and, being undead, was ignored by the zombies, thrall and necromancers. When I accused it of being a night creature, it turned against me. It was seemingly ignored by the other necromancers until it hit the elite wrestler necromancer, who turned against it. Unfortunately, that was all I could see before my makeshift adventurer was slain.

So it appears that once all the living retirees are dead, the rest can be unretired without the danger of a loyalty cascade amongst them, (as long as no one reveals the vampire?).
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 14, 2013, 12:31:49 pm »

I repeat.

This game REALLY does not want anyone to become a vampire.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 14, 2013, 12:32:51 pm »

Well... killing a thrall would be pretty hard... If i can take control of my adventurer and flee in time I could run to the museum and grab the adamantine axe... because the thrall is immediately going to become hostile and create a loyalty cascade of epic proportions
Now why would you want to kill Nil? Its not like he would stab you successively, raise you as a mindless minion, binding your soul to your lifeless body, and use you as a (disposable) pawn in his campaign to conquer the world, raising you every time you fall, before finally forcing you to descend to the depths with him and cast you into the abyss. He's really quite friendly, why don't you stop by for tea sometime?

Also, I visited the retirement home for a test, and found that there is actually no visible loyalty cascade effect. The necromancers (thrall) immediately turned upon the living within the house, which included a couple of NPCs. Once the living were dead, they returned to the retirement home, and remained there peacefully. The vampire (atomic chicken's character) ignored the living and, being undead, was ignored by the zombies, thrall and necromancers. When I accused it of being a night creature, it turned against me. It was seemingly ignored by the other necromancers until it hit the elite wrestler necromancer, who turned against it. Unfortunately, that was all I could see before my makeshift adventurer was slain.

So it appears that once all the living retirees are dead, the rest can be unretired without the danger of a loyalty cascade amongst them, (as long as no one reveals the vampire?).

When  I visited Kaslun was getting the shit beat out of him by someone. He had some major wounds

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 14, 2013, 12:45:05 pm »

So just confirmation. I'm up now, and need to stay the hell away from the house of doom?
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 14, 2013, 12:47:13 pm »

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Man. I'm gonna have fun instigating that fistfight. I think I'm gonna go into the house, and that's how I'm actually going to start the story. We should probably wait until research can be done on the best way to do this, though. Science project engage.

Mind not taking the adamantine battle axe? I want to use it as Kaslun since I am a master in axes.

So just confirmation. I'm up now, and need to stay the hell away from the house of doom?

I checked and Kaslun proceeds to create a zombie army that fills the entire house. There is no cascade but you sure as hell dont want to go in there

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When  I visited Kaslun was getting the shit beat out of him by someone. He had some major wounds

Realized that it was just his wounds from normal play. He was summoning zombies to fight goblin pikeman
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 12:49:15 pm by Kromgar »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 14, 2013, 01:04:37 pm »

Yes, that would give us some time to figure out how to unretire kromgars character.
Good luck out there!

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 14, 2013, 03:53:34 pm »

Yes, that would give us some time to figure out how to unretire kromgars character.
Good luck out there!

I wish there was a advanced manual to bodyswap. All it says is they arn't my companion and I need to force it or something

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 14, 2013, 06:29:57 pm »

Thanks; I'm gonna need it. Now begins the tale of Smige Trailblizzards:

Smige was once an athlete. Not a famous one, by any stretch, but she was good. Her main event was the 400M; she had enough speed to get out in front and enough stamina to stay there. However, the Mudungudon Olympics were beyond her reach; Smige had always fallen short behind Thel Indigozephyrs. She had become convinced that he was some sort of night creature, infiltrating the community, gaining fame as a runner to disguise his killings, using supernatural athleticism to ensure victory. But when he moved into the cursed capital of Dinnerwandered, the city famed for its "Museum" where aspiring adventurers and archaeologists alike brought treasures to store on display (and where multiple night creatures were known to congregate, and the secrets of life and death themselves were said to reside), and her neighbors in her hometown of Scaldedbrand began to whisper of his suspected victims, she knew it to be true. Smige herself had studied archaeology since hanging up her cleats, and had grown curious about the various dwarven settlements across the world. In particular, there were several such settlements that were mere rumors, and none had been confirmed to travel there. Smige decided this was a perfect cause for her to undertake, both to bring more knowledge to the scholars of Omon Woge, and to prepare her body and mind for her inevitable showdown with Thel.

The first step was to travel to Dinnerwandered itself, to visit the museum. After touring the various maps of the world and surrounding areas, as well as matching museum exhibits to stories told by locals, Smige made notes of where her travels would take her. She would stop at any interesting locations along the way, but there were four sites in particular she intended to visit. Northevil would be her first stop, the goblin tower overtaken by dwarves, rumored to be the site of much raw adamantine. Though none had brought any back, Smige decided that since it was the closest of the sites, it would be natural to stop there on her way to the next site, and at least check out to see if it was within her skill to approach. She could always come back later, of course.

After that, she would head to Dashedstake. Southwest of Northevil, it is said that the grounds themselves were cursed long ago. That, combined with the fact that the museum held no exhibits from there, was reason enough to brave whatever dangers could exist. Plus, from there, there were enough roads that lead straight to a coastal town at the far south, where she would rest before making her way to the next site. It is known that there is a continent across the southern seas, dubbed the Land of Amethysts, which none had ever explored. On this continent, it was rumored that a dwarven settlement existed, though the whispers were so faint, none even knew the name of the site.

From there, the return trip would commence. On her way back, assuming she felt brave enough, Smige vowed to explore the last of the four sites on her list. Translating to "Deathtraps" in the Dwarven tongue, the site's existence was only recently discovered, and as such, she would be the first to explore it. The idea of investigating such a structure filled her with excitement, but there was no telling what could have possessed the dwarves to create such a place--and the name alone was frightening enough to half-dissuade her. Plans completed, Smige set out with minimal supplies; she had grown poor in her time retired from athletic competitions, and could barely afford a copper spear. Besides, she would need to learn how to hunt, kill, and prepare her own food if she was going to travel across the continents and over an ocean.

There were many hamlets, fortresses, and even a few tombs on her way south, places where she could stock up on equipment and perhaps join up with like-minded companions. At the very least, a companion could take turns sleeping with her, so that they could keep an eye out for bogeymen. (And Goblins, but Smige preferred not to think about them. Bogeymen were frightening enough, but at least they were unarmed. A squad of goblin ambushers with crossbows spelled certain doom, no matter how skilled, if they came across you sleeping. At least for the first leg of her journey, the lands would be civilized enough that she could simply spend the night with someone kind enough to take in an adventurer (a description fitting most people) and therefore avoid most danger.

As she left Scaldedbrand, she came across a river. Eager to practice her swimming, knowing it would make her stronger for the journey ahead, Smige jumped in, and proceded to swim the entire way. While she was able to swim, she was not very fast--something she would need to improve before reaching the ocean. Looking at her map, it appeared she might be able to follow the river all the way down to the fortress of Muffinseasons--something that would keep her safe from bogeymen and goblins alike. Furthermore, it was hot enough out that she felt there was little to no chance of the river freezing over at night, something that had been known to kill unlucky swimmers without warning.

(OOC: And then I literally spent 30 minutes throwing water at fish, because I was sick and tired of the fuckers blocking my path in the river and forcing me to either break swimming or break sneaking. Ended up killing two of three milkfish, chasing the third off, before running into no less than three full schools of carp, and saying "fuck it, not worth my time.")

On her way to Muffinseasons, with the fortress in sight, she came across something quite strange to her. Carp and milkfish and tigerfish were things she had seen in scores (literally) on her river journey, but she had never seen a lungfish before. These strange creatures had the ability to fly over land, and she captured one for herself. Perhaps, if nothing else, she could bring this to the museum, and the marine biologists could have a field day.

Approaching the half-finished fort, she came across something interesting. Namely, a weasel. Eager to practice her hunting skills, she dropped into a crouch as she approached, sneaking silently up behind it... By the time Smige's prey became aware of her, it was too late to escape. All it took was for her to grab it around the throat with her arm, and its neck snapped, killing it instantly. While it was too small to butcher, she felt accomplished in her kill. Perhaps, she thought, those goblins would not be so troublesome after all. Brimming with confidence, she strode confidently through the doors of Muffinseasons, heading straight for the tower. On her way, she noticed a floor hatch made from raw aluminum, an incredible sign of wealth. This was a good sign for her.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:05:59 am by laularukyrumo »

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 15, 2013, 01:48:15 am »

If killing off all but one character in the House of Heroic Terror is the only option, using dfhack to set up a 2x2 fortress there then using "tweak makeown" on all but one character there may preserve their lives, if not their independence.  (Apparently this tweak gives them "pet" status to the dwarves.)  It's not as amazingly bloody as the Highlander setup, but it might preserve the characters' ability to become companions to future adventurers.  Sort of a "Seven Samuraii" approach instead.  However, I don't know if this will kill them just as surely, since fortress animals tend to die on retirement as well...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 01:58:55 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 15, 2013, 09:13:29 am »

Great narrative; I don't think anyone's ever used sports and olympics as part of a plot on this part of the forums before!

Seems like you've planned out quite an extensive journey for yourself too. Good luck, and try not to get yourself killed before arriving at your destinations.

Also, could you try and include a few pictures of the fortresses? I'd like to see what they look like outside of the narrative. :)
About that lungfish: If you're going to submit it as a secondary item, there's a cage on the second floor of the museum where I put the beetle Nil found in the caverns.

Also,
I wish there was a advanced manual to bodyswap. All it says is they arn't my companion and I need to force it or something
Point the cursor at whoever it is you want to control and type:
adv-bodyswap force

Edit:Could you put me back on the turn list? (Just in case that turn arrives before the new version is released).Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 01:02:37 pm by Pie Maker »
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 15, 2013, 11:57:21 am »

I gotta take a turn, time to make a great fort and embark on a journey again

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 15, 2013, 01:10:04 pm »

Thanks; it seemed like a good justification for my initial build (I most definitely dumped all my points into swimming/observing/armoruser/dodge and said "fuck weapons" XD)

As far as getting killed, I'm more worried about the ocean freezing at night while I'm in it than literally anything else. At least the rivers are warm enough that I don't have to worry about that. And the fortresses were just default, pre-gen forts that show up in Vanilla. You seen one, you seen them all. Unless you're talking about the mountain halls--in which case I'll make sure to take extensive documentation.

"Curses!"

The aluminum floor hatch, as it turned out, was the only thing of value in the entire fortress. Not only was the place deserted, the only thing worth looting was a wooden training sword and a pair of shoes. Exploring the towers, she found the remains of a stork, and was about to give up, when across the tower, she saw a live honey badger. These small creatures were legendary among dwarves for their constant rage, one of the few animals known to attack anything that moves, much like goblins. Due to their small size, dwarven military recruits often trained in combat against them, sometimes even laying before them for hours at a time to allow their ineffective blows to toughen their hides. If she was to shake off the dust from her inactivity, now would be the time.

After wrestling with the badger until it passed out and could offer no more resistance, Smige put the poor creature out of its misery with a spear strike to the head. Butchering it and leaving the meat behind as an offering to whatever god the former occupants of this place worshipped, she moved on, encountering a.... weasel? It seemed this place was overrun with small animals... but the previous occupants had not been killed, they simply vanished. With nothing to offer clues as to how or why, or even who, Smige simply finished up her brief rampage, and left the site, intent on reaching her next landmark before nightfall.

On her way south from Muffinseasons, however, she spotted a curious structure off in the distance. Her maps had marked the presence of a tomb in the vicintity, but this was no tomb. This was a genuine mountain halls, and from the looks of things, still in use. Approaching, she saw various items strewn around  the land, including a crutch--which she picked up and took with her, in case (god forbid) she should lose one of her legs. She had no idea how she was going to swim with a crutch, but hopefully, it would never actually come to that. She would practice using it, though, to improve upper body strength, and prepare for such a worst-case scenario.

Exploring the hills, looking for where the dwarves might have lived, she ran into such a dwarf. He introduced himself as Domas Airwalled, and was hauling logs of wood. Curious, she followed him, hoping he could lead her home. Sadly, he would not allow her to help with the obviously heavy load. The skins of various creatures she herself did not recognize were strewn around the place--dwarves must not have kept very tidy. Smige took some dwarven rum she found as a souvineer, and decided she would taste it when she got to a town. Better not to travel intoxicated.

A little more exploration yielded two more dwarves. Domas was a jobless peasant (supposedly rather common among dwarves who had not had the fortune of mastering a craft for decades), but one of these fellows was a miner, and the other, wielding a copper axe, was clearly in charge. She introduced herself, hoping to herself that she could convince one of these stout fellows to come along with her for protection. She was disappointed when they both refused, but reassured herself that they likely had important jobs to do here. Smige found some bags and a quiver, and she took one of each, storing the rum she'd found in the bag.

At last, she came across an opening in the dirt that must have been the entryway into the mountain halls. Recalling stories of how such entrances were often fiendishly trapped, she approached with great caution, weapon at the ready. She found no such traps, though, instead seeing several hollowed out rooms, completely empty. If this was a mountainhalls, where did the dwarves live? One of the rooms had an iron anvil inside, and though she desperately wanted to bring it with her as a memento, it was far too heavy for her to burden herself with.

One thing, however, had Smige curious. A strange fungus had grown over the ground inside... where could it have come from? With a new mystery to solve, she left the pathetic excuse for a mountainhall, looking around through the garbage thrown around outside to see if anything lead deeper. All she found was a dwarven herbalist and a stack of strange mushroom-like fruits (which the dwarves called "plump helmets".) She ate one, as she was getting hungry, then thanked the dwarves for showing her around and headed to the nearby town to find a place to sleep for the night, thoroughly disappointed by the sheer dullness of the dwarven mountainhome--Shootplunges, as she would later learn it to be called.

Wandercanyons, frankly, worried Smige. The first house she picked to ask around in had a dead body just laying there! The next had several corpses, including a couple goblins. She picked up the one thing of interest--an iron shield held by one of the goblins--and asked if she could sleep in the house. "Sure," they said, "if you don't mind the smell." She did not understand why they simply did not bury the dead, or even clean them up, but decided it was safer with them than taking her chances with bogeymen, and so passed her second night in the wilderness.

As dawn broke, Smige left to continue the first leg of her journey, following the river as far south as it would take her. Barring any distractions, she felt confident she could get to the capital town of Mindfulring today, or if her swimming was not fast enough, she could rest a night in Duskbeasts. Of course, as fate would have it, Smige found herself a distraction. Namely, another fortress, this one constructed of solid Rutile. Dead honey badgers littered the outside--had this place been visited by dwarves? This one, known as Nestleddikes, at least looked fully complete... perhaps it would hold something of interest?

Immediately upon entry, Smige found a veritable trove of equipment.She changed out some of her clothing for proper armor, and dropped her measely copper spear for an iron pike and an iron whip. On her way out, though, she was attacked by falcons--two of them, as a matter of fact, descended on her as soon as she opened the door! She was able to dodge and retreat inside the tower, but by the time she reemerged, the falcons were both gone. Annoyed, she turned around and slept in the tower that night. On her way out, as the sun came up, she decided to butcher one of the dead badgers, as it appeared to have been killed recently (or at least recently enough not to be rotting), and she was running low on food from the brief detour she took to go "fishing".

The next day passed without event. As dusk fell, Smige stopped for the night in Mindbowel. The first normal town she'd come across, without a single dead body laying around taking up space. No horrible night creatures infiltrating the community, just farmers, fishers, the occasional beekeeper. A peaceful place, Smige wouldn't mind retiring there herself, but that was a long way off. Mindfulring was within a days reach, even if she walked on her crutches the whole way there. She ended up taking the major river down through a couple hamlets, finding something ominous: an entrance to the sewers, no room to breathe, with a skeleton inside. Soon after, something even stranger came into view....

Smige put away her crutch and stepped out of the river.

Nearly every building in the city was abandoned, crumbling away, deserted. The keep, constructed of raw iron ore, was the only place with any semblence of life, despite the corpses atop the towers. She took the best armor from the fallen guardsmen and spoke with a "child" (who claimed to be sixty one years old!). He shared with Smige that the sewers were infested with vampires, including one who had killed over seven thousand! There was also a huge number of lairs to the west of the town, and Smige decided it best to move on. This was a quest for a true adventurer.

Given that Mindfulring was the southernmost settlement for quite some time, Smige spent the rest of the day in town, resting, and chatting with a crossbowwoman she encountered atop the walls of the keep. When she mentioned her quest to explore the dwarven mountainhomes, the woman (named Sol Cottagebelly) was so impressed, she insisted on traveling with Smige, making the journey easier. Smige agreed, and attempted to teach her how to swim, which would be necessary to keep up with Smige.

It... did not go well for Sol. Smige said a prayer for her, and continued training in the town until nightfall.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:30:24 pm by laularukyrumo »

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 15, 2013, 01:38:27 pm »

You found a vampire stuck in a wall? That's just golden! :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 15, 2013, 05:56:31 pm »

All I have to say is... Shit just got real.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Trungdle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 15, 2013, 06:20:59 pm »

It... did not go well for Sol. Thele said a prayer for him, and continued training in the town until nightfall.
LOL. but isn't SHE suppose to be a woman?
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 162