Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 782551 times)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure item quest (adventure succession game)
« Reply #750 on: April 15, 2013, 07:06:55 pm »

According to Smige's maps, the river she had been following out of Mindfulring went in a long U-bend to the west, coming back around a relatively short distance south, and passed through a bandit camp. As such, she decided that since she was already slightly faster in water than on land, she would benefit from taking the straight path until catching back up with the river. It was to her advantage anyway, as the closest settlement was many miles south, several days travel at the best--a problem exacerbated by her new encumberance. While her iron armor would provide exceptional protection, she was not used to moving in it. (OOC: Having worn 40+ pounds of chainmail, I can attest that, yes, this stuff sucks to run in.)

Heading south, though, gave her the fright of her life. A squad of zombie hippos, covered in a filthy substance raining from the skies to the east. The lake, and the lands to the east of it, were cursed. She went around them to the west, when.....

GIANT DESERT SCORPION!

She knew she couldn't fight it. The scorpion's sting meant instant death, and she doubted her knife could sever the tail. So she ran. Just barely fast enough to evade it in all her armor, thanks to some training against a badger on the way, she knew her only hope for escape was the one place she'd tried to avoid. Taking her chances with the zombie hippos seemed a better plan than messing around with the giant scorpion. She was barely able to make it to the sea, keeping herself out of range, throwing water at the scorpion until finally it succumbed. She got the hell out of there before it rose back up, racing across the desert until she was reasonably certain she was out of range.

That would be the last time she traded stealth for speed. Slow and steady wins the race...

Smige sighed with relief as she made it to the river, happy to see "tame" creatures like alligators. If she hadn't been a professional distance runner, she realized, that might have been the end of her. She headed down the river, tking a breather, resting up, when she saw something perfect. A giant sponge. While technically alive, these beings were all but immobile, and were rumored to be nearly impossible to kill. The perfect training dummy. Smige would not be caught unprepared this time...

(OOC: Except, oddly, attacking a sponge, even when conscious, yields no exp. Given this, and the fact that you can't kill it... well... :( )

Then Smige went to sleep, got ambushed by goblins, and died. RIP Smige.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:30:20 pm by laularukyrumo »
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 16, 2013, 02:27:38 am »

Damnit! Goblins again? What the hell is their beef with adventurers?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 16, 2013, 03:04:04 am »

You can start if kromgar agrees to have his turn postphoned for now the old turn order is still effective. Everybody is free to bugtest ofcourse

Killing all adventurers would be a bit drastic and would lead to the same result as the bug: nobody can be unretired any more. As stated above the number of adventurers might not be the problem, since adding a lot of new adventurers to the old save does not cause the bug. It might be a specific bug introduced during stomic chickens turn. I wonder if killing atomic chicken's character would help (if it does, then the game REALLY doesn't want us to acquire vampirism)
There is also a possibility to unmark adventurer - that means he is no longer in the choice menu but still alive and kicking.

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 16, 2013, 09:09:09 am »

Well, that was anti-climatic.
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 16, 2013, 02:09:12 pm »

Tragedy strikes again.. So are you building a fortress now?

Damnit! Goblins again? What the hell is their beef with adventurers?

It's kobolds that have been responsible for most kills. I don't know if anyone has fallen victim to goblins before. Still a bitter ending though..

I've also updated the turn list.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world
« Reply #755 on: April 16, 2013, 02:25:53 pm »

Nah. No fort from me, not really much interest. Just kinda disappointed that I died like that. I was hoping to at least make it to the first fort. I mean, I had full iron armor, and only two goblins showed up.
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 16, 2013, 03:06:14 pm »

Ah, OK.
Good writing by the way, I really enjoyed the story, even if it ended abruptly.
Could you upload the save game so that we can continue with your exploits added to the history of this world?

I guess that we should now have enough information for Kromgar to unretire his character:
I wish there was a advanced manual to bodyswap. All it says is they arn't my companion and I need to force it or something
Point the cursor at whoever it is you want to control and type:
adv-bodyswap force

Edit:Could you put me back on the turn list? (Just in case that turn arrives before the new version is released).Thanks.

Alernatively we could see if warmist suggestion can fix the save game, killing most adventurers didn't so I doubt it.
Also I didn't see Pie maker wanted to rejoin the game when I first read the post, must have read it before the edit. I will add him to the list. Your character is in the same house as Kromgar, but I guess he's more or less invincible, and likely to survive the now imminent slaughter.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 03:20:45 pm by Bralbaard »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 16, 2013, 03:11:59 pm »

double post removed. oops.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 03:14:31 pm by Bralbaard »

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 16, 2013, 03:43:44 pm »

Point the cursor at whoever it is you want to control and type:
adv-bodyswap force
adv-bodyswap force permanent
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 16, 2013, 05:43:07 pm »

I didn't see whether anyone else has tested this, but I just tried to get nearly everyone in the town killed (in that one house stuffed with retired adventurers. After everyone but Thel and someone else I don't remember (a vampire necromancer swordmaster or something) were dead, I got myself killed, let the game save, and tried to navigate to the bottom of the adventurer list again. It didn't work; still crashes. So, it doesn't matter whether we kill most of the past adventurers, the bug won't go away.

Did anybody make that bug report, by the way?

[edit]

Downloading turn 30 and making and retiring another adventurer (without interacting with any of the other adventurers) results in the bug recurring again.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 06:16:05 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 16, 2013, 06:35:50 pm »

There's also no point in me uploading a save since I literally accomplished nothing. Except maybe running away from a giant desert scorpion.

Also seems like there's a hard limit on number of adventurers. Delish. Ah well. We'll start again in the next release.`

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 16, 2013, 10:02:03 pm »

^ There is indeed a point to uploading the save, players will get quests to kill the goblin responsible for your death. AVENGE
Also seems like there's a hard limit on number of adventurers. Delish. Ah well. We'll start again in the next release.`
The Adventurer Retirement Home save (an unmodded medium world with a fairly short history) has numerous retired adventurers, and doesn't have this problem. In the DF2012 succession world, it happened in all (the dozen or so) versions of the world if you retired even a single adventurer. That world was large, slightly modded with many civilizations and a long history, so no, it's likely something wrong with the world itself. Raws or something, I dunno.

In the case of the Museum world and the DF2012SW, maybe there's too much information because the worlds are too huge.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:15:08 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 16, 2013, 11:44:54 pm »

There's also no point in me uploading a save since I literally accomplished nothing. Except maybe running away from a giant desert scorpion.

^ There is indeed a point to uploading the save, players will get quests to kill the goblin responsible for your death. AVENGE
Exactly. also, there's a desert scorpion corpse waiting to rise from the death when the next person walks by, a number of dead followers in the wilderness, maybe with useful armor. Someone might even decide to drag your corpse to the tomb of heroes to properly entomb you. It's little things, but they add to the game, it's worth the upload.

I'll see if I can get the bug report uploaded later this week, being able to recreate it from a still working savegame as Eric has shown, would be useful in bughunting I guess. Also game crashing bugs usually have high priority for being fixed.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:52:09 pm by Bralbaard »

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 17, 2013, 01:09:36 am »

eh. What the fuck. http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7582

Have fun and avenge me, you crazy fuckers.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 17, 2013, 06:05:53 am »

eh. What the fuck. http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7582

Have fun and avenge me, you crazy fuckers.

You need to use mediafire for big uploads
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 162