Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 781659 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world
« Reply #825 on: April 28, 2013, 08:20:20 pm »

Is there really no way to get the file back? No trash can it gets sent to to await further processing?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: April 28, 2013, 10:29:39 pm »

Is there really no way to get the file back? No trash can it gets sent to to await further processing?
I habitually delete everything in the trashcan every couple of days.

I'll see what bralbaard wants me to do.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 01:01:26 pm by Kromgar »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: April 29, 2013, 03:38:17 pm »

If the save game is completely lost, I think we should be moving on. There are a lot of people still waiting in line.
Your story will still be there as a gruesome vision, a nightmare of an alternate reality where all our adventurers lost their sanity and started hacking eachother to pieces.

I'll pm thezoomzoll

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: April 30, 2013, 03:03:00 am »

Due to lots of work and issues I cannot honor my turn right now.

Please pass it on and skip me if possible.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: April 30, 2013, 02:56:23 pm »

No problem, thanks for posting!

I've been a bit distracted today as our small monarchy had it's own succession event today. We are (ceremonially) ruled by a king now, after being ruled by queens for more than 120 years. The whole event involves a lot of partying. Anyhow, time to mint new coins again. Can't wait till the next version of df, when succession of the throne after worldgen will be in.

I'll pm commodore1024

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: April 30, 2013, 03:37:24 pm »

This is a glorious thread, and if the wait-time wasn't approximately four months (15 players, 1 week each) I'd gladly sign up.

A couple of questions, though:

1) How did you gen the world to look so perfect?  Mine always end up as a frightening mish-mash of fragmented continents and ragged coastlines.

2) Is there an end in sight?  Will you just run this save until people lose interest, or are will you start a new one when Toady releases the next version?

3) Is there anything you can do to reduce that dreadful wait time? :( Maybe run two worlds in parallel? That'd probably get too confusing to manage though.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: April 30, 2013, 09:43:51 pm »

@evictedsaint: Why don't you help me make more stuff for the Dinnerwandered Gazeteer?  You'll be contributing to the game while waiting for your chance to be covered in blood and glory.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: April 30, 2013, 10:19:05 pm »

@Saint:
The MAXIMUM wait time is 15 weeks. People have been getting skipped for various reasons, and others (like me) have gotten killed in extremely anticlimactic ways, leading to much shorter turns. I say sign up, who cares about the wait.

As far as the worlds, I don't think this was done, but there's the PerfectWorld utility that you could look into. I also foresee starting a new world when the new version comes out, if only because of all the adventure mode stuff, and the fact that this world is so old, we're getting glitches related to the large number of historical figures interfering with unretirement of adventurers.

And hey, no one's stopping you from doing your own succession game. I'd sign up for that shit!
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: May 01, 2013, 12:26:15 am »

This is a glorious thread, and if the wait-time wasn't approximately four months (15 players, 1 week each) I'd gladly sign up.

A couple of questions, though:

1) How did you gen the world to look so perfect?  Mine always end up as a frightening mish-mash of fragmented continents and ragged coastlines.

I did use the perfect world utility, though I don't think I made many changes to the landmasses, except for painting in "the adorable island". I mainly used it to get some control over distribution of volcanoes, rainfall and other variables. I did mess around with the settings for how much land should be above sea and how much should be water, those have a big influence, together with the number of ocean edges.

2) Is there an end in sight?  Will you just run this save until people lose interest, or are will you start a new one when Toady releases the next version?

I will start a new game, but only once the new version is stable enough. I will close the turn list once that happens so new people won't be able to sign up, but people that are on the list can still play if they want to.
Edit: recent comments by toady, and the sheer amount of things that need to be finished before a release indicate that the new release is still very far away. I wonder what state our current world will be in once it is finally released.

3) Is there anything you can do to reduce that dreadful wait time? :( Maybe run two worlds in parallel? That'd probably get too confusing to manage though.

There's also the adventurer's retirement home, a similar succession game: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119384.0
I highly encourage for other people to start their own games. 

I'll add you to the turn list. Di requested to be removed from the list, so that makes the list a bit shorter.

Edit:And a bit shorter again, no response from Commodore1024, that makes it Argonnek's turn.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 01:32:16 pm by Bralbaard »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: May 06, 2013, 08:25:27 pm »

Everyone is timing out... This is a catastrophe!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: May 06, 2013, 11:11:19 pm »

Save downloaded and I'm playing now. I'll get an update up soonish.

Personal diary of Zega Drillblots.

First entry 1103, Granite 23.
I spoke with a wanderer today, as follows:
Me: "Greetings! What brings you to our fine town?"
Wanderer: "I'm looking for the civilization known as Omon Woge. Their capital has a hall filled with treasure, I'm told."
M: "You stand in a township owned by the Lord of Dur Kunost. Omon Woge is north of here."
W: "Dur Kunost! I have a ways to go yet!"
M: "Not THAT Dur Kunost. We are two days' travel from Omon Woge at the most. THEY are fools who live by a haunted ocean!"

The wanderer walked away after that. Though I had never thought about it before, the promise of treasure has a strong
allure. Perhaps I shall seek out this capital... No, I have a duty here. Very near is the lair of a vile, wretched creature
of the night. Emofe Leechdwindles is a shapechanger who preys on the children and livestock of my village. It is said only
copper harms him.

Though I hung my mace long ago, I am the only defender our little farming town has. Looking at it now, memories of my time
in the military flash through my mind, but more importantly the mace itself is made of bronze, not copper. If I can do
nothing with the mace, I shall be forced to use my knife.

Second Entry 1103, Slate 1.
I waited and busied myself with hunting small animals until the full moon had left the sky to assure my victory in the
quest before me.

The gods test my patience.

In time I found the lair of the beast I was sent to kill. I found it in its filthy hole in the mud and killed it, but not
without a fight. It managed to bruise me a few times. On my way out, I found some snake eggs. But these aren't normal,
these are serpent woman eggs. No doubt orphaned by the wretch I killed. Perhaps they will serve as emergency rations later,
but I can't help but feel that they're worth more than that.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:57:46 am by Argonnek »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: May 07, 2013, 01:56:48 pm »

You're close to where Laularukyrumo died, watch out for that giant desert scorpion corpse...

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: May 07, 2013, 05:02:32 pm »

Is the work with mapping still ongoing?  The new IsoWorld seems like it has desirable features
where is up?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: May 07, 2013, 09:06:52 pm »

I'll spend the night at a nearby hamlet. As I enter the house, I notice two corpses on the floor. I tried to ask the
residents about them, but they don't seem to notice.

Third Entry 1103, Slate 2.
In the morning I left and returned to my hometown of Duskbeats. I proudly report to them my success, but I sense they have
no further need of me. Perhaps I will go to Omon Woge and find that hall of treasure the wanderer spoke of.

Fourth Entry 1103, Slate 3.
Dinnerwandered is a dismal sight. As I walk into the city from the outskirts, All I see are empty houses and abandoned
shops. A lonely wind whistles quietly between dilapidated buildings.

I make my way into the walls of the inner city, but the situation is scarcely different. A small number of stores and a few houses still have inhabitants. Whatever happened to this town must have been devastating.

The keep itself is the worst. Piles of garbage and corpses abound. Despite the macabre surroundings, Loge - the guard - seems quite chipper.

Or maybe not.
As I quietly step away, he tells me that this is a museum that adventurers of old have placed artifacts of great power. I think he's making mountains out of molehills. All I see is garbage. I suppose these eggs I found would count. I'll leave these on a vacant table in case I don't come back. Loge then tells me of several old dwarven fortresses that might have something more fitting.

I just checked, and the stack of baubles made from humans that sits in front of the museum is over 500 pages long! How did that guy carry them all?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:15:50 pm by Argonnek »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: May 07, 2013, 10:53:40 pm »

I just checked, and the stack of baubles made from humans that sits in front of the museum is over 500 pages long! How did that guy carry them all?

The rings and crowns made out of human bones and stuff?  A vampire was killed there and dropped it all.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 162