Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 781971 times)

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world
« Reply #975 on: July 22, 2013, 01:18:55 am »

Has anyone built the tables in the museum using adv-fort yet? If I remember correctly, furniture remains built even if a site isn't marked.

You remember correctly, if you replace "remains" with "does not remain" and "even" with "especially".
I just tested this by building a table in the middle of nowhere without marking a site, leaving the area and returning after travelling around randomly for some time. The table remained built. Are you sure it isn't your memory that needs correcting, Putnam?
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: July 27, 2013, 04:13:31 am »

So, I recently remembered about that black fiend that attacked me during my turn some months ago. Back then, it was proposed to examine the legends to determine what a demon was doing on the surface, but everyone evidently forgot to do that. Here is what legends mode has to say about the matter:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Note that the legends claim that the demon was born. This seems like a bug to me.
Legends Viewer confirms that there is no further backstory to it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now that I think about it, I remember reading a post several months ago about a very similar thing happening in adventurer mode, where a demon suddenly appeared whilst the adventurer was in a necromancer tower site. That demon was also listed in legends as being born.
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: July 27, 2013, 01:27:52 pm »

Speaking of legends mode..

Hostergaard never finished his story and its over a month since he posted his last update. He has not responded to PM.
Since it would be a dissapointment if his adventures were never told, I have concocted a plan. I want to hire the archeologists and historians of the museum (you) to tell the story before it is lost for ever.

Everybody who wants can dive into legends mode, to write your version of the story of Nithe, Hostergaards adventurer. We might end up with many conflicting versions, but that would be part of the fun. His adventurer might even have survived somewhere, or might have deposited something at the museum.

rules:
1) This is only about telling the history of Hostergaards adventures, so don't dash of on your own adventures, and post about those, you'll have to wait for your own turn to do that. (you can however search through the museums stacks to see if anything was deposited there, if needed) Try to restrict yourself to legends mode for as much as possible.
2) Everybody can join, you don't have to be on the turn list.
3) No uploading of save games, this will run simultaneously with the main game.
4) You can submit your story until up to two weeks from this post.

If Hostergaard shows up after all, he can post his official version, and we'll laugh about everything we got wrong.

Also, MrWillsauce is also not responding to PM, and doesn't appear to have started his turn. We'll move on to the next person in line, HeavilyMedicated.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: July 27, 2013, 02:33:28 pm »

You're a bloody genius!

(also, I will contribute to this because it is awesome.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 04:12:39 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: July 28, 2013, 04:01:56 am »

Great! I'm going to submit something myself as well.

Edit: and there is a lot to write about in legends mode, (with a lot of room for interpretation)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 04:15:50 am by Bralbaard »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: July 28, 2013, 02:18:25 pm »

There are innumerable stories worth writing about, not even remotely related to Nithe.

My favorite is the death of the kobold Chreebus, who was slain by the draltha "Dotnets." The internet killed the poor innocent little guy! :P

When you mentioned not running off on our own adventures, did you mean you also don't want us to perform research by going and talking to people in the world to include in the document, or simply don't turn it into a write-up of your adventures? At this point, I have some questions for the residents of a few towns Nithe visited, so I wanted to go talk to them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: July 28, 2013, 03:25:06 pm »

Some research is fine, but everything you research should be related to Nithe. If there is information that you can't get in legends mode, like what items were dropped at the museum, or quotes from the local population, you can get them by playing, but indeed it should not be a write-up of your adventures.

Basically, this is not meant as a adventure game, but a legends mode game. An adventure based subgame would be unfair to people on the turn list, and would likely take the focus away from Hostergaards adventure.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: July 29, 2013, 02:13:43 am »

I'm on it.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: July 31, 2013, 10:26:26 am »

When you create the site it first asks you for a name, then for a number, for the type of site. Since I Had no clue what i was supposed to type in there I typed in a question mark, and everything worked splendidly. I later typed in a number at a different site, and at that site constructions were not saved. We should experiment a bit more to see what different numbers result in.

The created site is very small, you'll have to build within It's boundaries.
So, I did a bit of experimenting on this and got these results:

non-numeric character=lair (mound type)-creates empty mound-lair upon reloading area
0=white (dwarven) ruin, cannot travel through, acts like abandoned fortress
1=dark grey (goblin) ruin
2=cave, constructions remain built, no cave formed upon reloading site
3=light grey (human) ruin, constructions do not remain built
4=yellow (elven) ruin, constructions do not remain built
5=town, constructions do not remain built
6=red X, constructions do not remain built
7=lair (burrow type)-creates an empty burrow type lair when site is reloaded-constructions outside the lair deconstruct, constructions within it do not
8=fortress
9=bandit camp
10=tomb
11=pink X
Every number tested that was above 11 produced a site marked with a pink X.
There might be more sites available, but I did not feel like typing out every single number from 12 to infinity...

Note that I did not test to see if constructions remained built in all the sites. Also, I discovered that for some of the sites where constructions normally deconstruct, if you leave them on the local map instead of fast-travelling out, they will remain built permanently.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:58:55 pm by Atomic Chicken »
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: August 01, 2013, 10:25:53 am »

WOW!
Do you remember which "Some of the sites" remained built if you didn't fast travel away from them?

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: August 01, 2013, 01:51:09 pm »

WOW!
Do you remember which "Some of the sites" remained built if you didn't fast travel away from them?
Firstly, I want to clarify that I was refering to sites marked using DFHack, not sites created during world generation. 

Now, as to which sites this works with:to be honest I only know that it works with the "red X" site, and merely assumed that it might work with other sites too. I actually discovered it accidentally, when i left the site on the local map after having built a couple of walls there. After fast travelling around a while, I returned to the site (which is invisible in the travel map) and was surprised to discover that I had spawned on one the walls I had built! Further experimenting showed that, once this was done, the walls did not deconstruct after leaving in fast travel mode.

Edit:I am doing further test on this subject getting somewhat strange results. It appears that for constructions to remain built permanently, red X sites must be reloaded twice. Here's the methodology and my result:

Test 1
1.Went to random location in wilderness.
2.Created a "type 6" site (i.e. red X)
3.Opened advfort and built a wall.
this is were things start to get weird
4.Slept at site
Result:wall deconstructed.
5.Built another wall.
6.Slept again
Result:wall remained built

Test 2
Repeated steps 1-2
3.Slept
4.Built wall
5.Slept
Result:Wall remained built

Test 3
Repeated steps 1-2
3.Slept
4.Slept
5.Built wall
6.Slept
Result:Wall remained built
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 02:25:41 pm by Atomic Chicken »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: August 01, 2013, 03:04:03 pm »

Interesting.. I guess that when you create a site it isn't actually loaded right away. So if you build your site in a forest the game still has it loaded as a forest, next time you enter it realizes it's a site and loads the new data. This can also be seen in how site 7 works according to your description. Sleeping is just another way of reloading the site
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 03:31:51 pm by Bralbaard »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: August 01, 2013, 03:17:00 pm »

So basically, the engine requires a would-be architect to spend a couple days "surveying the area" (sleep and then sleep again) before building something, then "cleaning the site up" (sleep once more) before constructions will stick around.  Do you realize that you've just discovered the "magical ritual" that will allow adventurers to finally contribute new structures to old worlds?

(Awesome.)

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: August 01, 2013, 03:33:49 pm »

Awesome indeed.

So I think we should allow use of adv-fort..

However, if you're using it:
1.Please have a recent backup of your save game (this is good advice even without adv-fort)
2.Don't use dfhack for cheating
3.If you build sites, and want them marked on the world map tell me the names, so I can find them. (I can find abandoned sites using reclaim, but these new sites are difficult
4. Do not build any sites within 3 embark squares of the museum as certain sites are known to cause fps issues after repeated loading, we do not want those to affect the museum.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: August 01, 2013, 06:14:22 pm »

Found Nithe and his companions, totally by accident. They're in the fortress of Muffinseasons a short trip east-south-east of Dinnerwandered.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 162