Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 777187 times)

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world
« Reply #990 on: August 02, 2013, 09:41:41 am »

Awesome indeed.

So I think we should allow use of adv-fort..

However, if you're using it:
1.Please have a recent backup of your save game (this is good advice even without adv-fort)
2.Don't use dfhack for cheating
3.If you build sites, and want them marked on the world map tell me the names, so I can find them. (I can find abandoned sites using reclaim, but these new sites are difficult
4. Do not build any sites within 3 embark squares of the museum as certain sites are known to cause fps issues after repeated loading, we do not want those to affect the museum.
Please keep in mind that the vanilla bug of sites still remains. The one that makes sites unplayable laggy after reclaim or in our case in multiple reloads of the said site. If it was not for that bug i would be playing the heck out of advmode (also would have made more improvements to adv-fort script). For all my test i been using type 2 sites these type 6 might be exempt from this annoying bug but testing is needed.

Edit: preliminary testing looks bad: they are still multiplying. Afaik this will be fixed in next df version but if anyone finds a way to fix it before that my brewery would be very thankful.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 09:50:53 am by Warmist »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: August 02, 2013, 10:33:18 am »

That's why point #4 was included, nothing should be build too close to the museum. For some reason the museum isn't affected by this bug, it has been visited hundreds of times, but still has good FPS. It is likely unaffected because it isn't a constructed site.
As long as new constructions stay far enough away so they aren't loaded simultaneously we should be fine. (all the other constructed sites in the game suffer from this bug, but as those sites can be avoided, the bug rarely bothers us. Maybe some of the sites mentioned by atomic chicken do not have the bug, but do allow constructions, that would be worth investigating.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: August 02, 2013, 02:09:47 pm »

I've been playing around in photoshop and have made a map of the game world with some of the interesting sites marked:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've only marked some of the empires, mostly the nearby ones, and some that I think are well known. I will add more empires once we find out more about them. The empire borders are not well defined by Dwarf Fortress, I based the map boundaries on what cities belonged to certain empires, and on geographical features, like mountain ranges and major rivers.

The maps resolution is compatible with legends viewer, so you can import it in that program instead of the regular maps.
You can download high resolution .bmp files here, one version that's annotated, and one that's not.

link to DF file depot

Let me know if I missed any important features in the maps, those could be added.

Edit: heavilymedicated did not respond, it's Jacobs turn.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 02:31:00 pm by Bralbaard »

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: August 03, 2013, 05:44:44 am »

Awesome indeed.

So I think we should allow use of adv-fort..

However, if you're using it:
1.Please have a recent backup of your save game (this is good advice even without adv-fort)
2.Don't use dfhack for cheating
3.If you build sites, and want them marked on the world map tell me the names, so I can find them. (I can find abandoned sites using reclaim, but these new sites are difficult
4. Do not build any sites within 3 embark squares of the museum as certain sites are known to cause fps issues after repeated loading, we do not want those to affect the museum.
Please keep in mind that the vanilla bug of sites still remains. The one that makes sites unplayable laggy after reclaim or in our case in multiple reloads of the said site. If it was not for that bug i would be playing the heck out of advmode (also would have made more improvements to adv-fort script). For all my test i been using type 2 sites these type 6 might be exempt from this annoying bug but testing is needed.

Edit: preliminary testing looks bad: they are still multiplying. Afaik this will be fixed in next df version but if anyone finds a way to fix it before that my brewery would be very thankful.
Do type 2 sites retain constructions? All of my tests so far seem to show the contrary. Also, about that bug, was it caused by the multiplication of animals in the caverns every time the site is reloaded? I'll test the other sites to see if they are also affected by this issue.
Edit:the few sites that I tested all seemed affected, but here's an idea:using "liquids" command in DFHack, seal off the caverns with obsidian and then fill them with magma.

So basically, the engine requires a would-be architect to spend a couple days "surveying the area" (sleep and then sleep again) before building something, then "cleaning the site up" (sleep once more) before constructions will stick around.  Do you realize that you've just discovered the "magical ritual" that will allow adventurers to finally contribute new structures to old worlds?

(Awesome.)
Actually, I thought that Bralbaard had already discovered how to make permanent constructions when he built the shrine to Teshil. Also, we can deduce that you only need to sleep (ie.reload the site) once; the second reload was simply a test to see if the constructions remained built.

To be honest, I did not know this when I ran the first tests on other sites so I decided to re-test a number of them:

Site#5 (town)-was surprised to find that 3 empty houses had suddenly appeared out of nowhere upon reloading. Not only that, they showed up on the fast travel mode screen, along with the sort of zoomed in map that you get around towns. However, not one of the five tests that followed generate any buildings, implying that there are geographical restrictions as to where they can be placed.

Site#7-despite the results of my original experiments, when I tested site#7 again, a mound lair was generated instead of a burrow-lair, which is confusing. Maybe #non-numeric and #7 generate a lair, but the type is decided randomly/according to the geographical location? Note:as far as I know, shrines and labyrinths are also considered lairs, so maybe they can be generated by this site type.

Site#8 (fortress)-no building formed, however it seems that sometimes a slice of the surrounding landscape was removed to make way for the fortress site. Constructions do not remain built.

Site#9 (camp)-constructions remain built

Site#10 (tomb)-no tomb generated, constructions do not remain built.

Sorry for derailing your thread Bralbaard. :P
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:53:34 am by Atomic Chicken »
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Moon Label

• Bay Watcher
  • Cannot write post: creature occupying site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: August 03, 2013, 03:34:30 pm »

Bralbaard, I'd love to be added to the play-list!  From the looks of it, I'll take my turn around mid-November, but I can wait.  That gives me time to read all the play-logs and plan a grand adventure.
Quote from: Toady One on May 10, 2007, 10:59:00 pm
I've moved out of the office and turned in my keys.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: August 06, 2013, 03:49:35 pm »

Alright, we still have this experimental sub game running to fill in the story of Hostergaards adventures, as nothing was written down. Here's my entry. 
This entry has a negative approach to Nithe's achievements, not in any way to downplay Hostergaards adventure, on the contrary, he has achieved a lot, legends mode is full of interesting stuff that relates to his adventures. The story is written as is because part of the fun of this sub-game will be to get some completely different stories out of the same data.
------------------------------------------

Dear curator of the museum,

Before you lies a letter singed by all members of the dwarven council.
We send you this letter with the greatest urgency. It has come to our attention that you are about to place an elf on your list of historical figures, and that you are even considering taking up certain items deposited by this pointy eared creature into your famous collection. We were quite astonished that despite the fact that the goods were deposited by an elf, you never checked for trickery, nor checked the pointy ears false claims with more reputable sources.
We hereby wish to present you the evidence that 'Nithe Earthspeaker the Lauded Way' as he calls himself, is nothing but a fraud. A forest-loving tree hugger that achieved little, but makes up for it with smooth talk and lies.

We do not dispute the fact that Nithe started his adventure far to the south, nor that he crushed many goblins in several cities, cities with ominous names like Esteemedcurses and Fiendfleshy. These facts however were mistaken for heroic deeds, while instead, they were nothing but treason and murder. It is true that these cities were founded long ago by a dark goblin empire, however this empire was defeated, and for over 700 of years their cities have been part of the honorable dwarven kingdom of Sefololtar, also known in your tongue as "The Rough labor".

Esteemedcurses still has many goblin citizens, and while it is true goblins have a difficult nature, these goblins have been civilized by many centuries of dwarven guidance and are in fact law abiding citizens.
The renegade elf Nithe endangered hundreds of years of progress with his racial murders. With a self-righteousness typical of his species, he struck down these poor goblins, probably because they lived in a wooden house, or because their children wore fur clothing to protect them from the harsh climate. 
We know for a fact that the goblins welcomed Nithe, and trusted him. Nithe was welcomed into the empire of the Rough labor and given all rights any other member has, only for him to betray us:

We, the dwarven council would like to emphasize that it would have been justified for us to strike back at the elves with equal force, but we have chosen to hold back, and get all the facts sorted out properly first. 
We planted an agent in Nithe's group, a brave dwarf, known by the name of Dakost Shootbelts. This dwarf, now also known by his well deserved title "The Dimpled Tactic of Pears" managed to influence the path of Nithe's gang, and guided them away from the dwarven kingdom, and managed to gather all the information now presented in this writing.

After Dakost joined Nithe, Dakost persuaded the elf to stop his attacks on the Rough Labor and attack the kobold camp of Tiflarin instead.
After that they travelled far to the North, and they set up camp at Northevil, Dakost sent a report of many suspicious deaths at this site at the time the group visited, however none can be directly tied to Nithe or his other companions.

The group then travelled further north trough the bandit infested lands of the systemic desert. Here they faced wild goblins, bandits and many untamed beasts. We know that Nithe's visited Tongsrace, but we have not yet received a full report from Dakost. You may have heard more from him, as we know they visited the museum after their visit.

Our infiltrator, Dakost, is currently in a position to arrest Nithe and bring him to justice, if we can get a guarantee that he will face trial in Dinnerwandered. There is an obvious alternative to induction of this pointy eared fraud in your hall of fame. Dakost, a proud member of the dwarven race, has proven himself far more worthy. As proof of his heroic deeds we hereby include a list of all the foes he has slain. 

We trust that you, as the curator of the museum will make the right decision.

With kind regards

The dwarven council

---------------------------------------------

I'm looking forward to other entries, I omitted many parts of Hostergaards adventures and have not investigated the museum, so there should be plenty of stuff to write about, writing from a different perspective will likely result in a completely different story as well. Part of the route is guesswork, I may have missed many locations.

I'll add moon label to the list.

Also, Jacob responded by PM, He'll get to it soon.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 03:53:03 pm by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: August 07, 2013, 09:34:53 am »

Relating to retiring with DFhack, I found this in their documentation. Bolded words are highlighted by me in relation to what I believe is needed in our current situation, italic was default in the documentation.

Quote from: DFhack link=http://github.com/peterix/dfhack#id91
Example

You are in fort game mode, managing your fortress and paused. You switch to the arena game mode, assume control of a creature and then switch to adventure game mode(1). You just lost a fortress and gained an adventurer. You could also do this. You are in fort game mode, managing your fortress and paused at the esc menu. You switch to the adventure game mode, then use Dfusion to assume control of a creature and then save or retire. You just created a returnable mountain home and gained an adventurer.

I take no responsibility of anything that happens as a result of using this tool
Sigtext updated 05-10-2023.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: August 07, 2013, 03:46:31 pm »

I've retired two sites using this method in my "Luckiest Tourist EVER" game, and the it's not any more unstable than it ever was.  However, the FPS hit is significant on large embarks retired in this manner, (I think, due to all the various blood and crap lying around).  If a fort is retired rather than abandoned, I'd suggest using the "clean all" tool in Dfhack first to get rid of unnecessary splotches of various stuff as well as "autodump" to police up the various random items of clothing and such that tend to get left here and there before retiring it.  It might help keep the FPS hit from becoming so bad.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: August 09, 2013, 01:00:45 pm »

If it's still possible, I'd love to request another turn. I know it might be a couple of months; no sweat.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: August 09, 2013, 10:19:19 pm »

IMA GONNA LITERATE YA'LL!

So there, an XaccountX of the mysteries surrounding Nithe's demigod-hood and adventures.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: August 12, 2013, 12:10:14 am »

Great!

So I guess we should include the adamantine sword in the official museum collection? Did the sword itself list the correct kills?
I'll update the turn list and other posts later, no time now.

Also, it's been 10 days since I last heard from Jacob, that makes it Tehsappers turn..

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: August 12, 2013, 12:31:17 am »

It listed 5 kills by Nithe. Goblins, I believe.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: August 12, 2013, 03:41:31 am »

Also, it's been 10 days since I last heard from Jacob, that makes it Tehsappers turn..

Oh well, here I come.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: August 12, 2013, 03:57:48 pm »

I'm looking forward to new adventures.
People are still free to upload entries to Hostergaard's story, I'll try and wrap everything up this weekend.

I've added Niyazov to the turn list, and Nithe's adamantine short sword to the museum collection.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: August 13, 2013, 04:21:01 pm »

I've done some tests on site type 2 (cave) and its interesting..

I created a site, and build a wooden pilar, it remained constructed after leaving and reentering the site.
After leaving and entering the site for approximately 20 times, I noticed no lag, and no unusual amounts of animals, a few animals were present on each visit, sometimes more but never that many.

However, after I slept for seven or eight times on the same site, without leaving, animal numbers exploded. I almost didn't make it out of the site alive. After leaving and reentering the site the animal numbers seemed to have reset themselves to normal levels.

Sleeping at the site for another seven times again resulted in an animal explosion that vanished after leaving and revisiting. I have no clue what happened to the underground populations, but as of now, there is no noticeable lag. Everything added up, the site must have been reloaded 30+ times.  Some confirmation from others would be useful, but it looks like good news for Warmist's brewery. The site was constructed somewhere in a desert/gray sand area, no interesting features around.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 04:22:40 pm by Bralbaard »
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 162