Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 777151 times)

Furohman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world
« Reply #1050 on: September 07, 2013, 11:54:14 am »

I had great fun with this way back whenever it was (Last year?) and I noticed at least one person has had a second turn. Is it alright if I join the queue again?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: September 07, 2013, 04:14:07 pm »

I have the save downloaded, and I'm playing now. I'll have my adventure and fortress completed by Monday.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: September 08, 2013, 03:45:36 pm »

I had great fun with this way back whenever it was (Last year?) and I noticed at least one person has had a second turn. Is it alright if I join the queue again?

I've added you to the list.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: September 10, 2013, 01:38:32 am »

WARNING: PHOTO INTENSIVE.

Today is the day. Today is the day that I, Gorden Dorenshistak, do something with my life.  Wanderlust has taken hold.  The world holds many great things, and I won't see any of it in this dinky little town.  I spent everything I have on an iron sword and a bronze shield.  It's time to make something of myself.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I head north, where legends are made.  I end up passing through the neighboring town, where the dwarves built their houses right in the middle of a field of writhing eyeballs.
We never really got along with those weirdos, but they still let me spend the night.

It snowed during the night, but undeterred I continued north.  Out of the white, however, charged an entire pack of vicious wolves.

I mean, they weren't THAT vicious.  But they were still wolves.

I stop by one of the nearby fortresses by the name of Diamondripped to recruit a few soldiers to my cause.  That attack made me realize that I can't do this all alone.
Looks like no one's home, except the butchered remains of a few elks and badgers...I pick up some of the meat, left behind from some other adventurer, and continue on my way.

The next fortress is much more fruitful.

With my new companions in tow, we head north through the badlands.

Well, maybe it's not all that bad.

I am marveling in my remarkable foresight to recruit a couple of companions.
The swordsman is stung and falls.  I never even got his name.

I stop by some abandoned fortress named "dashed stakes" or some nonsense.  Who's naming these places?? I decide to pass it by.

While following a cliff edge to find a route across a riverbed, my companion charges at a nearby parakeet and falls off.  Looks like I'm alone...I rush east, towards a nearby town. I only get as far as the animal pens before I get company...

I manage to get away, at the expense of the animals.  It's not long before I find the town center.  Apparently this place is named "Peachcooked."  There was a remarkable dearth of peaches, cooked or otherwise.

I pick up a few new companions and head northward once more.  I barely step foot outside of town when...

Damn goblins.  We're chased west once more, and we take shelter in some place named..."Trap-something."  The sign was too faded, I couldn't make it out.  Still, though, weird name.  No other place in this god-forsaken land has a fitting name, so I'm sure this place has nothing to do with traps.

Oh cool, some mine carts.  I hop in, and...

My own sword. I spent my life savings on that sword.  Armok, how could you be so cruel?

I guess my adventuring days are over.  My companions and I leave this horrible trap-filled place, going north once more.  Hopefully, we'll reach the peaceful, legendary town of Dinnerwandered unscathed.

Can I say I absolutely hate kobolds?

Their ambush crippled my right leg, and I quickly deployed a crutch that I pilfered from that trap-filled hell.  One arm, one leg, can it get any fucking worse?

Upon losing my last remaining arm, I drop my crutch.  My last companion is murder-raped by the alligator as I hop to safety.  It's midday when I inch-worm my way into the legendary city of Dinnerwandered.

I reach the keep, powered by shear determination.  My eyes water at the sights before me.

Dragon eggs, legendary blades taken from the bowels of the earth, the corpses of countless monsters, prizes and trinkets of gold and rare animal bones, artifacts of the highest caliber...what could I possibly have to offer?
The severed arm of a foolish adventurer who craved adventure.

I notice that an arrow has been embedded in my belly. 
I laugh; how long has that been there? Compared to the other injuries I've sustained, it doesn't seem all that horrible.  I pull it out and drop it with my severed arm.  May it be a warning to other fools who dream of what I dream.

At least I had something to offer.  I leave, ashamed of my meager offering, and head north one last time.  There was a town there, called "Pointyfrenzies."  Considering all the points shoved into my body in a frenzied fashion, I would suppose that it's more fitting than most of the places I've been so far.  Hopping along on my last leg, I quietly accept my life as a disabled adventurer, resting in the town by the sea.

THE END.

[[I'll do my fortress and post the save in a day or two.]]
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 01:43:24 am by evictedSaint »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: September 10, 2013, 11:34:56 am »

That is... an extremely unlucky adventure!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: September 10, 2013, 12:25:10 pm »

I'm quite honestly surprised I survived.  I started at the very south edge of the map and worked my way north, losing various body parts as I went.  If it weren't for the piles of butchered animals laying around from previous adventurers, with their meat all pre-cut and whatnot, I would have surely starved to death after losing both my arms.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: September 10, 2013, 02:25:03 pm »

Its still a wonderful story.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: September 10, 2013, 02:31:03 pm »

:o

The part where you managed to get your arm cut of by your own sword is probably one of the greatest WTF moments in the history of DF. I like how it only goes downhill from there.

Great story.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:12:24 pm by Bralbaard »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: September 10, 2013, 04:05:18 pm »

I'm guessing that happened due to the whole "You slam you!" thing.

(I love whoever made that fort now)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: September 11, 2013, 12:28:29 am »

He also survived having his skull completely shattered in the same minecart incident. Always wear safety belts, I guess.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: September 11, 2013, 12:50:56 am »

Safety belts = ??? cloth bandages in DF?  You wear them after injury anyway.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: September 11, 2013, 03:12:23 am »

So Deathtraps finally managed to (almost) live up to its name!
The funny part about all this is that...that wasn't supposed to be a trap...

Also, I think I may have been responsible for the piles of butchered animals you found.
[My own story almost done; been procrastinating]
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: September 11, 2013, 01:23:10 pm »

Minecarts are always a trap. That's why I walked down the ramps when I visited! :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: September 11, 2013, 10:57:00 pm »

I'm posting this from my phone; my internet is down, so I'll post the save tomorrow on one of the school computers.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: September 12, 2013, 05:02:38 pm »

http://www.mediafire.com/?4ajzx5glp49orr9

I built my fort to the north, on the eastern hemisphere.  It's in the Hills of Murdering, on the volcano Silky Flames.  It's called Artobthak Thak Artob.

If you're a new adventurer, it may be beneficial to go check it out...

Also, I hope that my severed arm, which I cut off with my own sword, is an adequate enough tribute?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 05:55:04 pm by evictedSaint »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 162