Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 777036 times)

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world
« Reply #1065 on: September 12, 2013, 09:47:00 pm »

given the story behind it, i would say that your arm is more than sufficient.

maybe some future adventurer can design an elaborate tomb for it à la stonewall jackson, or animate it and use as a companion

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: September 13, 2013, 02:20:45 am »

So THATS where "Thing" came from!

L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: September 13, 2013, 02:57:29 am »

I don't think we should take officially submitted items from the museum, it is easy to lose them forever. In this case however we know Evictedsaint's other arm is somewhere out there in the wilderness, and any experimentation on that limb is highly encouraged.

I've send Laularukyrumo a PM.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: September 13, 2013, 04:30:56 am »

If you want my other arm, you'll have to dig it out of that alligators belly.  He seemed pretty keen on holding onto it; moreso than I was, at any rate.

Yeah, if you took stuff from the museum, that'd defeat the point of it being a museum.  Like if the national history museum let you take the dinosaur bones from the exhibit to help dig up other dinosaur bones with the bones themselves.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: September 13, 2013, 02:03:36 pm »

Minecarts are always a trap. That's why I walked down the ramps when I visited! :P
well minecarts are safe if you make them out of none material since your not being hit by an item the entire ride. I learn this the hard way when my ollie command on non-soft carts end up bashing the cart through the head and throwing me off.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: September 13, 2013, 10:41:18 pm »

What ended up happening, I believe, is that I had too much speed, and the minecarts dropped down a z level.  So, it kept going straight and plowed into the wall, THEN dropped me down a z level.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: September 14, 2013, 03:29:00 am »

Laularukyumo can't take his turn, Argonnek is next.

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: September 14, 2013, 06:01:02 am »

Finally finished writing about the exploits of Xem Inkdepth! Sorry about the delay.

Upon reaching Stilledfeast, Xem headed straight towards the town keep, determined to speak to the leaders of The Dear Empire. Unfortunately, he found the keep entirely devoid of people, leaders or not. However, many useful pieces of equipment had been careless left running about everywhere. One such weapon caught his eye:

Might as well take advantage of the situation. He'd never really liked that spear anyways.

As Xem walked through the market, shiny new meat cleaver strapped to his belt, he realised that the townsfolk were whispering and pointing at him. What was it? Surely they could not have already noticed the theft!

One of the merchants walked up to him and began praising him for the killing of people that Xem had never even heard about, let alone fought with. These folk were evidently confusing him with somebody else. Yet, why should he deny their praise? Xem left the capital that day a hero to the people.

[OOC:Most likely, this phenomenum was caused by bandits in the dungeons dying of old age.]

Xem travelled to the nearby town of Consellblunted, where he had been told a vampire was hiding. He found the vampire, Sporro Hopefulmaster, easily enough, given all the grotesque jewelry he was wearing. Upon accusation, the whole town mobbed up on him and put an end to him.

Xem's next target was a fortress not too far from the hamlet. This one, known to the locals as "Perplexscribe", was completely abandoned, save for a horde of wild boars that had taken up residence within. Despite helping Xem master the art of the meat cleaver, the boars did not want to join him on his adventures, so he left them behind as a butchered pile of meat.

As night fell, Xem reached Fort Embraceglove. Just in time too, for bogeymen began to surround him as soon as he neared the doors.

Embraceglove was evidently still guarded fiercely, given all the soldiers running about there. The keep was also inhabited, by none other than the law-giver of Xem's civilisation. Out of nothing but sheer instinct, he accused the woman of being a vampire. Few politicians in those days were not several centuries too old.

Despite how much the woman kept filling her head, it was severed off just as easily as anyone else's.

Xem left Embraceglove the next morning, followed by many of the fortress' soldiers-many of whom were still trying to get over the fact that their beloved law-giver, who they had been protecting for most of their lives, had actually been a vampire all along. Still, it did give them satisfaction to finally understand how she had managed to keep looking young after so many years in office.

Xem's next target was Dema Saffrontorch the Windy Rapid Orange, a great roc who had plagued many a civilisation throughout its long life. Xem had been told about its lair by one of the soldiers, whom he had asked if there were any interesting locations nearby. Xem and his entrouge reached Intensesun the Hoof of Certainty, for that was what the locals called the lair, after only a day's march north up along the mountains. There, they met the great bird as it swooped down majestically towards them, sporting talons large enough to grab an elephant.

There was also a weird undead fish flopping towards them, but Xem ignored that for the moment.

Thinking quickly, one of Xem's companions, an archer, aimed and fired his crossbow, launching a bolt directly into the beast's wing. The roc shrieked and dropped from the sky, hitting the ground with a thud.

Seeing his chance, Xem quickly grabbed a missed bolt and drove it through the roc's skull.

The roc now dealed with, Xem went trekking back home. Realising that there was a dwarven mountain fortress nearby, Xem decided to alter his course slightly. He had never experienced dwarven architecture; this seemed like a good moment to do so! As he neared the border, he realised that there was something...wrong...with this place. Was it the faded name on the slab...Northevil...perhaps? No...an ominous feeling seemed to emanate from the place. As Xem took another step forward, time itself seemed to warp around him and slow down. What was happening?!

A great voice suddenly spoke in his head.
LEAVE THIS ACCURSED PLACE AND NEVER RETURN

Xem complied happily.

[OOC:Seriously, fps was at 0-5. And the reason? The multiplying animals bug-DFHack revealed that there were 78 rodent men in the caverns.]

Xem travelled northwards across the Systematic Desert, that barren stretch of land now so familiar to so many adventurers. At one point, he found a river from which to quench his thirst, at which point he was promptly ambushed by carp. Carp...why does it always have to be carp? The fish was growing more cunning...it had now evidently grown used to people in the desert seeking out the river to drink, and was exploiting this fact to catch its prey unaware. Who knew how many poor souls had been dragged to the depths of the river and torn to pieces by a predatory carp...Xem, a lucky survivor by all odds, made a mental note to warn his people about this new carp military tactic.

On a slightly less important note, his band was also ambushed by giant desert scorpions.

As Xem trekked further across the unforgiving land, he came upon a lone child in the desert.

Was he lost, perhaps? Did he have a family? How old was he? Wait, what?!

Since the 69-year old child didn't wish to come with him, Xem left him where he had found him-alone in the desert, to be remembered as nothing but a mirage.

Xem travelled south again, stopping by at Lovermalign, a goblin hamlet, to see if they needed anything he could him them with. It turned out that the curious goblins, who did not have a capital of their own, wanted only one thing: for Xem to deal with "the master", a bandit whose hide-out was a nearby camp. Noticing that a couple of other humans in the hut seemed to be fighting with the otherwise-friendly goblins for some reason, Xem hastily left the hamlet, promising to deal with "the master" for them.

Unfortunately, Xem's course towards the camp was suddenly rudely interrupted by a goblin ambush. His measly band of 4 worn out soldiers and a goblin from the village who was meant to guide them to the camp, was completely surrounded on all sides by goblins armed to the teeth.

With at least five bows already pointing towards him, Xem knew that even attempting to fight would suicide. Yet, surrendering was not an option either; Xem knew enough about goblins to tell that these bloodthirsty creatures would kill him anyways, if not just for the fun of watching him scream in pain.

So Xem did the only logical thing he could have done. He turned and ran towards the first gap he saw in the line of enemies. At that moment, a flock of buzzards swarmed around him, providing an obstacle for the arrows that would have otherwise stopped his escape. As Xem ran, he swore that he would never harm another buzzard in his life. Unless he was really hungry or something. Anyways, he somehow made it to safety, and trekked back to civilisation alone.

Or maybe not quite alone. As Xem walked, he was startled to suddenly see three of his companions approaching him-the pikeman; his once fine clothes now reduced to rags, the crossbowman who had shot down the roc; now sporting an empty quiver, and the goblin guide, who seemed to be completely untouched-the goblins probably had considered him one of their own. They too had, by some miracle, gotten away from the vicious goblin mob. It seemed that the gods really were protecting us that day. Well, "us" meaning "not including the two soldiers who got killed."

Xem and his ragged band visited another fortress, where they beefed up their number with new recruits. Soon after, they raided a nearby human bandit camp. It was all going well until Xem found himself at the front line with an enemy crossbow pointed at him and ready to fire. Thinking quickly, Xem pulled out the knife that he had taken from the hands of the first vampire he had killed, and threw it at the crossbowman.

Next, Xem was ambushed by some people calling themselves "the Occult Conveniences." They didn't really seem to plan out the attack well though-they basically lined up and attacked one at a time. Meanwhile, the elite crossbowman that was supposed to be covering them had a heart attack and died.

After that episode, Xem killed a naked cave fish man living in a cave, who Xem assumed was a were-creature and he headed on towards the goblin camp called "Helmbrushed".

The camp raid went well-there were no casualties on Xem's side and Xem slew "the master" myself, taking off his head as proof to the villagers. Xem noticed that the goblins' breastplates were decorated with the image of a cocoa tree-the symbol of the Connected Monster. Justice had been dealt, and those two soldiers whose name Xem had never really bothered to remember had finally been avenged.

Then, everything stopped. A barrier with the words "REAL LIFE ISSUES" stamped on it seemed to have formed in front of Xem. He could go no further than this. Thus, Xem Inkdepth the Lavender Flag (thanks for the title The Dear Empire...) returned to Stilledfeast, where he remains to this day, sulky because he never got to finish his adventure.

THE END
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 06:04:39 am by Pie Maker »
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: September 15, 2013, 12:44:06 pm »

Ithra Spishabbora, militiaman in training.

Like all of my people, I shall go on a journey. A journey to the west would be far too short - I'd run into the sea - so I will go east. Legend has it that there is a museum there, where countless objects of incredible value and power reside.

I cannot do this alone, so I go to a nearby house and ask for some help.
"Join me on my adventures!"

"I would... rather not."

"Join me on my adventures!"

"I would... rather not"

"Join me on my-"

"No."

This last response, from a ranger, earned him a glare from me. Maybe the glare was a little much though, since he grabbed his chest and collapsed moments later.

Oops. Oh well.

After asking around some other houses, I decide to just go south to the nearest fortress to get some equipment. It takes all day, but I get there and find one soldier and a few peasants. No equipment could be found. I leave and make my way to a city a day's travel away, sleeping in a small village on the way.

Searching the keep at this city, I find no free equipment. A shame. So I head into the dungeons to search. Only a short distance from the entrance I find a bronze breastplate. I smile and put it on. Searching further, and being constantly on the watch for bandit scum, I find a superior bronze battleaxe hidden under a pile of clothing. Dropping my far inferior spear, I take up the axe, a bloodthirsty grin on my face.

So far I have found no living things here. Only piles of abandoned clothing, weapons, and armor. Moving to the north (I think), I smelled something awful. I wanted to run, in case it was a monster of some sort, but I pressed on. Through a small passage, I saw the source of the smell: piles of dusty corpses, all human. Somehow, I stumbled into some catacombs. I turned away and returned to the dungeon. After moving south, the smell hit me again, and again I found a passage to a crypt, this one far larger that the last. I spotted something on the other side of the room, buried beneath countless years' worth of bones and dust. A sword, held in skeletal hands. Though interesting, it is of no use to me. I spotted a door and, desperate to escape the death-smell, passed through it. I took a few quiet breaths in the seemingly empty chamber, but quickly stopped when I heard a cough in the darkness. Lurking forward, I saw a person, standing watch in the chamber. I did not smell death, so he wasn't the undead. A bandit. Who else would stand watch down here. I creep closer, but my foot taps the ground a little too loudly.

He snaps his head in my direction and charges, but I swing my axe at his head before he can attack. I miss and he charges me, colliding and tangling us together. He manages to stand before I do, then proceeds to smash my limbs and kill me. Ouch.

I was killed by a bandit. How embarrassing. Oh well, here's the save:
http://www.mediafire.com/?6j5yl62r2j2y9m0
And I would like to sign up for another turn.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 03:10:29 pm by Argonnek »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: September 15, 2013, 01:48:30 pm »

So you started completely on the western side? It will be a long, and interesting journey.

Edit: apparently it was interesting but not long, you seem to have edited in an unfortunate death after my post..
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 04:05:18 pm by Bralbaard »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: September 15, 2013, 03:11:23 pm »

Sadly, my adventures never seem to last that long. Oh well.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: September 15, 2013, 04:10:24 pm »

Losing is fun!

I'll sign you up for another turn.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: September 15, 2013, 04:16:03 pm »

I've got the save and will get to it post-haste.

Nerdfighter_619

• Bay Watcher
  • DFTBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: September 17, 2013, 05:49:42 pm »

I would like to try this, but I don't know how to deal with saves and such. Could someone post/link to an explanation on how to import and upload saves? Thanks.
Word Domination: Because everyone needs a hobby.

GENERATION 33:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: September 17, 2013, 08:49:34 pm »

To import a save, all you have to do is download it, and extract the zip file it comes in into [your DF install directory]/data/save and load DF. It should immediately appear in the Start Game or Continue Game menus. If it's not, go back to the folder in your data/save directory and open the folder you extracted. It should be data/save/[region name]. The files immediately within that folder should include things like art_image-0.dat and so on. There should also be one sub-folder named raws, but you should not have to go through two folders to get to the folder that contains the actual save information. If you're looking at something like data/save/[region name]/[region name] and inside that second folder is "raws," then you'll have to move the second folder and all its contents out of the first.

Then after playing the game you can just go back to that folder, throw it in a .zip file and upload it to some safe filesharing site (such as the one you downloaded it from) and post a link for whoever you were uploading it for.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 162