Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 783072 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (now with poetry/music)
« Reply #1200 on: November 02, 2013, 04:09:01 pm »

Really?My family are much more stingy. No gifts except when society demands it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: November 05, 2013, 03:50:15 pm »

Any progress to report Timeless Bob? I am anxious to see if you venture to my little fort!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: November 05, 2013, 09:07:28 pm »

Still plugging away - not dead yet, but also have not visited your fort yet either.  I'm trying out a new concept with my adventurer.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: November 05, 2013, 09:13:22 pm »

Has anyone even visited my fort yet? :(

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: November 05, 2013, 09:41:17 pm »

Has anyone even visited my fort yet? :(
I didn't. You had mentioned it was good for beginners, and by the time I made it to that part of the world I was a legendary necromancer covered in masterwork adamantine, so I thought I would leave it for someone else. :)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: November 06, 2013, 08:04:45 pm »

Let me tell you a story of hope, wonder, delectable delights and of course,
for this story is set in our wide world of woe,
heartbreaking tragedy as well.

The Story of Leb

Once upon a time, near a city named Dinnerwandered, a happy group of seven merry brewmeisters, calling themselves "The Adventurous Tongues" decided to build a brewery that also featured a nice dwarven cafe and a meditation garden, called simply and eloquently, "Goodbrews".  Into that happy place was born Leb Kefkaten, a corpulent baby girl who was dedicated at birth to the Rough Labors god of revelry and mirth.  Such was her happiness, that any who heard it lost themselves in a pleasant reverie, (which was very good for morale, but very bad for business), so she received the nickname "Timeless".  Now, little miss Kefkaten spent many happy years helping her mother in the farms, and watching the merry brewmeisters at their work, brewing the various potent beverages and selling them by the hundreds of barrels to any who came to buy them.  The caravans of Omon Woge received many, many barrels as gifts from the brewmeisters of Goodbrews, who hoped to lure the nobility of that land into offering them a title and the citizenship that went with it.
   On several occasions, the representatives from The Curse of Mites and once, Dur Logem, came to bargain for the brews with force of arms rather than moneyed persuasion, and each time they were frustrated in their attempts, for two great dwarven heroes had also come to Goodbrews to protect it (and drink their fill of decadent liquors).  So the brewery grew and flourished, producing thousands of barrels of fine liquors, beers and wines, as well as many dozens of dwarven delicacies for customers and staff to enjoy while they admired the statuary and engravings of the three legendary drinking halls.
   Little Timeless loved the stories these adventurers spun, and hoped one day to visit the Museum herself when she got a little older and had been trained in the use of armor and bowcraft for a couple years first.  She dreamed of taking the very fanciest of brews to the Museum just half a day away, as a tribute to Dwarven artistry and talent - for she reasoned that those who visited there might taste the succulent liquid and wish to visit her beautiful home for more of the same.
   Alas, in her sixth year, a combined force from the Curse of Mites, three terrible were-creatures and an obsidian desert Titan that "exuded an air of peace and gentleness", all forced their way into the back pasture of the brewery, where the milking and meat creatures roamed, and where the farmers raised the above-ground crops which were the lifeblood of the brewer's art.  Timeless lost her father to that onslaught, then her mother, and finally her own life - gutted on the head of a silver pike.  There, her adventures ended before they even could begin. 

The brewery survived the incident, but I hadn't the heart (nor the time) to start anew with a new birth, so I retired the fortress as a hamlet, where the brewers still live and ply their art - waiting to receive customers who travel north along the King's Boulevard.

Save file: (year 1140 to 1146)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/qsajuomxz9q8ukv/The+Museum.zip
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 08:29:01 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: November 06, 2013, 08:43:31 pm »

Add me to the end of the que for yet another turn, if you please. 

The idea for this last bit, was to "breed" an adventurer, filled with history and motivation to travel away from her home.  Whether it was going to be a mission of revenge, a quest for a stolen artifact or rescuing a kidnappee, I didn't know.  It would have begun with a journey into Dinnerwandered, both to bring something to the Museum as a submission and to ask the loremasters there for advice on how to get to/find whatever adventuring quest presented itself while she was growing to maturity.

Alas, kids are so fragile, and that damn titan stomped right through my weapon traps after destroying the locked door leading to the Depot, so the waves of gob attackers had their way in and used it with grim purpose.  If you like, come pay your respects in her tomb, where she rests in an artifact coffin.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world
« Reply #1207 on: November 07, 2013, 01:21:23 am »

I think I've never been able to raise a dwarf from baby to adulthood in DF, so the odds for young "Timeless" weren't very good.

I'll update the maps later, the file I use for that seems to have suffered an accident, so I'll need to redo it.
For anyone planning to visit the new fortress in the meantime: It's almost on top of Sunkengem, very close to Dinnerwandered.

I have send Joost66 a PM.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: November 07, 2013, 04:07:56 am »

Intriguing and original, Timeless Bob!

But who were the two heroes who joined your fort?

Edit: Had a snoop. You were lucky to be the recipient of 5 members of the Unbreakable Eight, my insanely powerful soldiers from my fort. Obviously since we both made forts of the Rough Labor, they migrated to you.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 06:57:26 am by kesperan »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: November 07, 2013, 08:05:46 am »

See, now that's what I'm talking about!  If we could just get some generational bloodlines going, even just grandchildren who revere the old coots who were heroes "back in the day", they could borrow those heirloom weapons and armor, go adventuring, come back covered in glory and settle down to raise their own kids, enjoying the fruits of their labors.

As it stands, every few years an adventurer pops out of the ether to journey to the Museum with a wholly fabricated back story.  It could be so much more cool than that!

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: November 07, 2013, 01:59:34 pm »

Well from now on I will be making forts solely from the Rough Labor in the off chance I get some of those legendary soldiers back :P

Shame they didn't bring their candy armour and named weapons with them when they migrated...

Although you didn't manage to make an adventurer, I have included your intended avatar in the list of adventurers based on info I gleaned from reclaiming your fort (no spoilers, don't worry!).

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: November 07, 2013, 02:28:38 pm »

Sounds like a set-up for a Fed-ex quest...

"One day, youngster, when you're old enough, I'll send you to <insert name here> to fetch the legendary armor and weapons I've told you about for all these years.  They are your inheritance, and you'll be tasked with adding to their glory and to the Family Name."

or

"...And the Flail of our forefathers, mighty Hurungerbungle, is jealously guarded even now by the fiend Laughingstockade.  The hero who wrests it from her grasp will restore the family honor!"

All sorts of story ideas.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 02:32:05 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Kalsb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: November 12, 2013, 03:25:23 pm »

I really like the idea of breeding adventurers but to avoid depressing situations like the last one, why not focus on a group of children? Say the dwarf you chose has friends or siblings. If that dwarf dies before they can start their adventure then choose one of their childhood friends or siblings and add the death to their backstory. Also, you could use the other children as companions if the story calls for it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 03:27:51 pm by Kalsb »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: November 12, 2013, 03:54:09 pm »

I really like the idea of breeding adventurers but to avoid depressing situations like the last one, why not focus on a group of children? Say the dwarf you chose has friends or siblings. If that dwarf dies before they can start their adventure then choose one of their childhood friends or siblings and add the death to their backstory. Also, you could use the other children as companions if the story calls for it.

I think you may have a workable solution - I'll call them "Probability's Children".  If someone who is in the turn line ahead of me will make a "prophecy" about another who will come after, (something easily open to interpretation, but with specific requirements like the stuff from Nostradamus), then I'll play the fates trying to "breed" the "Prophesied One" from a group of children.  I may not succeed, but regardless, it'll make for a great story that's not necessarily only about racking up a kill list. (Not that those aren't epic too, just looking at making our shared history even richer.)

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: November 12, 2013, 03:55:13 pm »

I like the idea of breeding adventurers, but running a fortess for 13 years is rather time consuming. I'm afraid we won't get to play much adventure mode if everybody starts breeding adventurers, and adventure mode should be the focus of this game. Fun idea though and for some players, investing that much time might work.

In other news, Joost66 can't take his turn. That means it's my turn now.
here's the latest map, which includes GoodBrews.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 162