Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 781371 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world
« Reply #1275 on: December 13, 2013, 03:59:15 pm »

The adventures of Rola Olaomo.

I began like many elves: in the mysterious places of the forest, hidden from the mundane humans. But as I developed, I never had the same connection to the animals of the land as my brethren.

The enchanted trees of our forest retreat seemed to know this: I was the only elf child who'd ever gotten lost in the forest. Needless to say, I'm not too attached to the forests.

It is because of this isolation from the world, it is said, that I have no pity for the suffering of the animals and the trees. Instead, I've honed my body and skills toward combating the dangers of the world. The wars with the humans have halted completely for almost a century... And I've been tasked with finding out why.

I traveled far from my home, heading south. The bandits were easily evaded in the forests, but once I got the the plains it became much harder. I set my sights on the southern mountains because of the smoke I saw there. Mountains weren't usually where humans built their homes, but maybe almost a century without warfare had driven them mad. Well, madder than usual.

I arrived in midmorning on the 22nd of Malachite and walked up the slopes to the nearest house. I could almost hear the wooden walls screaming in pain... and a sick smile touched my lips. Opening the door, I almost jumped when I saw dwarves crowded inside, conversing in their strange tongue.

Remembering what the merchants of our people had taught me, I ask them why they aren't in their underground fortresses. They stay completely silent. Instead of continuing on this path, I decide to ask them where I can find some humans. They say that I should travel straight north, and also mention a Museum far to the north that sits in the capital of the human civilization Omon Woge. That will be my destination. After all, museums are storage places for history, and it will likely have a record of what keeps the humans from their wars.

I enlist the help of one Melbil Enkoszulban so that I don't have to search desperately for shelter every time the sun sets and begin the march to Dinnerwandered.

Once we passed through the mountains, we walked into a horrible area filled with plants that blinked at us and tentacle grass that pulled at our clothing. Spotting a village a short walk away, I lead us over to find shelter before the sun set. We walked through the farms that they somehow scraped out of the evil soil until we came upon a building. I open the door slowly, and the conversation inside dies instantly. Inside there are goblins, horrible creatures that frequently sent raiding and logging parties into the forests we lived in. It was on them that I honed my killing skills while I was young. They take one look at me and see the image of two mountains – the symbol of the nearby dwarven civilization – on the breastplate I had pilfered from a house in the village I recruited Melbil from. I slowly step back and close the door.

“Let’s go somewhere—“one of the goblins from inside runs out and attacks Melbil before I can finish my thought. She reacts with several savage blows before I know what’s going on, but I quickly join her and start bashing him with the mace I had also taken from the village.

Instead of staying here to be slaughtered by a hundred angry goblins, we move north to try to get to the next village. As we’re making our way north, constantly vigilant for angry townspeople, I spot something.

A massive waterfall, completely frozen with the night cold. If we weren’t so unwelcome here, then I would stay and marvel at it for a little longer. We leave the village behind and follow the river north, toward Dinnerwandered. When the sun sets soon after, I build a fire and we make camp for the night.

Early the next morning, long after the fire burned into nothing, I kick Melbil awake and we make our sleepy way north again. After a few hours and a freezing river crossing, we arrive at the village of Masterticks. I hope that this one isn’t filled with angry goblins; something tells me they won’t be happy to see me.

Abandoned,

Completely abandoned. Well, at least it’s not filled with angry goblins. That’s what I thought at first, anyway. After looking in every house, I find one with some seemingly friendly goblins and one disease-worshiping human. I knew they were mad, but revering illness? I need to avoid this human. The goblin in charge, an administrator, is far more interesting:

Surely he knows what has caused the humans to stop going to war.

“I was sent from my home, hidden in the forests, to discover why the humans have ceased their aggressive behavior toward us for almost a century. Do you know?” I patiently await his response while he strokes his recessed chin in thought.

“I think,” he begins slowly. “I think you should look around the village.”

“Why? There’s nothing here. Just abandoned, decaying… oh.” I realize, suddenly, that I’ve seen no trace of life here other than the ageless goblins and one human.

He nods. “You understand. This is good.  The humans, and even the dwarves, have been struck by a strange illness. Breeding is impossible. Children do not grow.  Surely your retreat has seen the same?”

“We elves reproduce slowly once we have completed the necessary enchantments for the forests, and do not age. My birth being one of the few in the last century is not strange.”

“I see,” he says. He starts polishing his shield, obviously thinking this over. I notice that his breastplate has an image of two mountains on it.

I offer to bring him along with me, but he politely declines. Having had quite enough of this place, I start walking north yet again. After a few days, stopping only to sleep and to drink, we find our way to the human village of Pickpets. Since the sun is setting, we introduce ourselves and ask if we can stay the night. When they say yes, we find ourselves a corner and promptly fall asleep. At dawn we are loudly awoken by the sound of violence.

Apparently, a goblin thief had snuck in – probably to avoid the bogeymen – and the villagers just started ripping him apart. I scramble away from the melee and watch as the mob beats the poor creature to a pulp. My “interesting mornings” quota fulfilled, I go to the nearby river and have a drink.

“We should be only about two days away from the museum,” I say to Melbil.

“The Museum,” she corrects.

“That’s what I said.”

We start moving again, but we don’t get far before we are ambushed by bandits.

I try to get to her in time, but Melbil is cut down too quickly. If only she had been wearing armor. Oh well.

And so am I. Damn that hurts.

The save is here. Also, sign me up for another turn, please.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:05:05 am by Argonnek »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: December 14, 2013, 04:35:39 pm »

I like your narrative style.

Shame about being hacked to death by goblins though :(
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: December 14, 2013, 04:50:01 pm »

Sooo the most Dwarvenly Elf in existence gets hacked to pieces by Goblins? Wow, he really was like a dwarf  :)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: December 14, 2013, 06:21:25 pm »

The Elven eugenics program seems to be about placing goblins and other hazards like bogeymen in advantageous positions throughout the world.  Only those who stay home ever survive to reproduce, (except for the humans and dwarves, of course - those mutants...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: December 14, 2013, 06:21:47 pm »

Argonnek's character added to the adventurer list!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: December 15, 2013, 02:16:45 pm »

I've send Gnorm a PM, and I'll add Argonnek back to the list.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: December 15, 2013, 04:58:49 pm »

I've begun my adventuring of this world with a female elf peasant, who is an unfortunate distance from the Museum. Hopefully, her travels will make it that far.

Chapter I: The Mountain Goat

Pevó Etinicimathi appeared to be no more adventuresome than any other elf in Ave Anomi. She awoke each morning to work in the fields, picking rope reeds to spin and weave into common cloth. Although she acted reluctantly, she gave no utterance that she planned to break from this quotidian routine. One day however, it was discovered that she had left her home to do something more profound with her indefinite lifespan than tend to the fields. Instead, she would attempt to become a legendary adventurer.

After several days of travelling, Pevó found herself within a Dwarven hamlet.

She began then a conversation with what appeared to be a local leader.

To our heroine, this seemed to be greatest stroke of luck possible for her. She had just left her home, and already she was given a quest to slay a monster. She realized, however, that she needed to hone in her skills with her wooden spear, and went into the surrounding wilderness to practice on the nearby wildlife.

It took time, but eventually she found herself the perfect creature to best in combat.

She crept slowly up to the goat, grasping the wooden weapon in her hand. With a mighty charge, she plunged her spear into the animal’s front leg, tearing the fat. The goat wanted to fight back, to scream, or to run away, but the mystical energy that surrounds elves such as Pevó kept it fully under her control. She attacked with her weapon, aiming this time at a rear leg, and obtained similar results. Two more attacks to the lower body and the creature’s organs were torn and bruised. The fighting continued on for what seemed like hours, but eventually the beast’s wounds accumulated, and its lungs failed it. Pevó now had a corpse on her hands, as well as a backpack empty of food. Taking her dagger, she butchered the creature, obtaining some meat and sweetbread.

With her first kill done, she decided that it was time to begin her quest to the lair of the werebeast.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: December 15, 2013, 06:08:11 pm »

Well this should be challenging! A peasant with a wooden spear? O.o

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: December 15, 2013, 06:26:52 pm »

The Museum-Home of of the Bearded Elves Society. Admission Price-Ale. If none is brought; Wooden spear through the leg.

The Museum-Breeding yesterday's Elves into today's Dwarves!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: December 15, 2013, 11:13:51 pm »

Chapter II: Skeleton Man

Our heroine continued to travel through the mountains, slaying several helpless creatures in the process. Eventually, she found herself upon terrible lands, cursed with evil. There, she fought against hoards of undead birds. Eventually, she was right next to the lair of her target when she spied a new creature.

She thought that she could best this foe with even her wooden spear. Her adventuring career came to a swift end, however, when the skeleton bashed her in the head with its sandal, destroying the brain.

The soul carries on to the afterlife, but the body remains. Perhaps, one day, the corpse will rise again to wreak havoc on another unsuspecting adventurer.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: December 16, 2013, 02:19:31 pm »

Another unfortunate end.. Are you building a fortress now?

I like how all the nightcreatures we have slaughtered are slowly being replaced with new creatures created during play: creatures from fortress sites, and previous adventures. I would have expected that the world would have been empty after 100 years of pillaging and hunting, but the emptied sites are being filled with random undead and monsters. Toady did a great job there.

It would be interesting to look up the history of that undead that killed you.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: December 16, 2013, 03:52:59 pm »

Hey, remember all those mummies I awakened when Bora first started his adventures? Yeah... Have fun with those "abandoned and perfectly safe" lairs.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: December 16, 2013, 04:42:11 pm »

I did a test re-embark on The Tower of Seers - three FB's quickly dismembered the party.  Adventurers are able to tromp through unmolested, however.  Yet one more interesting factoid about Dinnerwandered: It's home to a cursed tower haunted by three guardian beasts.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: December 16, 2013, 06:09:03 pm »

Hey, remember all those mummies I awakened when Bora first started his adventures? Yeah... Have fun with those "abandoned and perfectly safe" lairs.

Yeah, I remember those .. I suspect one of those ended up haunting the tomb of heroes, it probably came from one of the nearby lairs and followed me into the site. It ended up killing quite a few adventurers too. 

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: December 16, 2013, 07:51:52 pm »

Another unfortunate end.. Are you building a fortress now?

It would be interesting to look up the history of that undead that killed you.
I've begun a difficult operation on a coastline. Hopefully, someone will be able to actually reach it if its any good. As for the skeleton, I found nothing interesting in the legends.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 162