Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 777058 times)

Goosie

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Been playing since 2012, pretty new.
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world
« Reply #1290 on: December 16, 2013, 09:50:31 pm »

I wonder how the update will affect the adventuring? It'd be really cool to see someone capture a town or something and then take the former leader's corpse to the museum as a trophy.
Karl Pilkington on cutting open avocados - "It's a food that ain't worth injuring yourself for. If it's a hassle to get into, leave it to the experts."

Merry Christmas!

Furohman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: December 20, 2013, 08:20:45 am »

Sorry for not responding to my turn, was a very busy time for coursework and exams, so bad timing. Didn't check the forum for a while...  :-[

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: December 20, 2013, 03:47:36 pm »

I wonder how the update will affect the adventuring? It'd be really cool to see someone capture a town or something and then take the former leader's corpse to the museum as a trophy.

Oh, it's going to change EVERYTHING. The combat/move speed split alone is probably going to put a lot more adventurers six feet under until we become proficient with it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: December 20, 2013, 09:37:23 pm »

Oh, it's going to change EVERYTHING. The combat/move speed split alone is probably going to put a lot more adventurers six feet under until we become proficient with it.
Nah, there'll be no time to bury the adventurers. It'll be such a mass die-off of adventurous types that the townspeople will be forced to dedicate a whole segment of the population just to dragging adventurer corpses out of the city limits to be eaten by carrion birds.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: December 21, 2013, 02:59:51 am »

Do you think the villagers will actually retrieve and bury heroes?  I can see a long line of pyramids a few years later, as hero after hero is interred in a tomb...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: December 21, 2013, 02:19:46 pm »

Unfortunately I don't get the impression that villagers will be that involved in their heroes' lives and deaths. And toady did say they won't be making new permanent structures like tombs or new sites this release. Our corpses and items will more than likely be left out in the woods where the goblins/bandits/dingoes jumped us. Alternatively, our corpses could become animate and stalk the living if we die in the right biomes, which is guaranteed to be worlds of Fun.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: December 21, 2013, 05:22:44 pm »

That's too bad.  It's be fun to travel to a place where a tombstone or statue had been erected in honor of a fallen hero.  I mean, little shrines here and there consisting of tombstones and statues out in the wilds... maybe a lone cottage with former companions inside as tomb-tenders nearby - what fun that would be to visit as another adventurer and hear about the various histories of the site!  Sorta the same as "The Tomb of Heroes" in this game, but with less lethality. (or not, depending on how active the dead heroes are)

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: December 22, 2013, 09:34:46 pm »

Here is the save.
My fortress attempt was a failure, I'm afraid.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: December 23, 2013, 12:29:40 am »

I wonder if there's a hack that would make a minecart think it was being given a speed boost, like what happens on impeller ramps?  Apply that whenever it hits water and we'd have ourselves some viable boats... Man, this is some good beer...

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: December 23, 2013, 04:33:04 am »

The Castle of Urges has been added to the map, and NAV has been notified of his turn.

Here's the map with the new site (on the island to the east):

I wonder if there's a hack that would make a minecart think it was being given a speed boost, like what happens on impeller ramps?  Apply that whenever it hits water and we'd have ourselves some viable boats... Man, this is some good beer...

But but... how would they steer?

"Land in sight capt'n!"
"Aye, prepare to unb.."
"Capt'n the ship! she won't slow down!:"
"Drop the anchor!, no! Aaarg!"
* The captains head skids along the ground taking the full impact of the blow, fracturing the skull*

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: December 23, 2013, 11:07:10 am »

Downloaded the save and am starting my turn.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: December 23, 2013, 11:42:25 am »

Well. That was fast.
I am really unlucky.

I created my adventurer: Eshtan Orbtubes. Dwarven axeman. Got a quest to kill some bandits, went to kill the bandits. Ambushed by a single kobold swordsman, killed it in 3 hits. Ambushed by 2 goblins, beaten to death with a mace.

Gonna start the fortress now.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: December 23, 2013, 04:11:52 pm »

But but... how would they steer?

"Land in sight capt'n!"
"Aye, prepare to unb.."
"Capt'n the ship! she won't slow down!:"
"Drop the anchor!, no! Aaarg!"
* The captains head skids along the ground taking the full impact of the blow, fracturing the skull*

A retractable bridge allows minecarts to ride across them - build a 3x10 out into the water with 3 tracks leading to a 1 track circle with maximum friction on it.  The mine cart (+ passengers or cargo) would then be able to debark safely.  Of course, getting the initial dwarves to survive landing is still an issue, but setting up a fortress with the understanding that it has somehow already happened neatly side-steps that part.  Debark/embark sites would need to be in-line, however, otherwise "hilarity would ensue"

Additionally, a Z-1 minecart debark area could be dug with track ramps leading out of it then channeled out to be open to the ocean, so the cart would skip in, hit a ramp and come out on tracks to that deceleration circle, with the same result. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 06:13:16 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: December 23, 2013, 06:09:17 pm »

It would be interesting to look up the history of that undead that killed you.
As for the skeleton, I found nothing interesting in the legends.

The fire crackled in the hearth as the old man sat in his ancient leather chair. The howling wind outside rattled the ancient grimy windows, as the man placed his spectacles on his nose and replied to his visitor.

“Kiros Carnagescrapes? An unusual name. Let me see...”

The wizened old human shuffled down the hallway of the dusty library and carefully and slowly removed from a shelf a very old and very heavy book, thick with a layer of grime and ancient dust.

“Kiros… Kiros? Ah!

“Oh this is what we are looking for. It seems that Kiros lived in this very city around 800 years ago. He was a record keeper, though he is registered as also being proficient with a pike.

“According to these ancient ledgers, Kiros was a bandit, a member of an organisation known as the Tired Crabs. The Tired Crabs moved into the fledging Dinnerwandered in the year 214. They appear to have grown and prospered in the sewers of the town. The records from this time clearly record Kiros as a criminal, a petty thief.

“It further appears that in the year 368, a member of the local militia had reason to enter these sewers. Perhaps on a quest from the ruling families, or perhaps searching for a missing loved one. I am sure we will never know.  Inid Lashtaught was by any account an average man. A woodworker to trade though with some skill in the sword.

“The books here record that he confronted Kiros in the sewers, and in the ensuing battle, struck him down. As far as I can tell, Inid then led an entirely uneventful life.

“The corpse of Kiros was never recovered, and in the sewer it lay for the best part of a millennium.”

The old man slammed the book shut with a sudden crack.

“But you and I both know that is not the end of his story, or you would not have saught me out, mister?”

The visitor did not reply, merely showing the record keeper his ring, a signet inscribed with the onyx sigil of Teshil Despairdaub…

The old man paused. After thinking a moment he continued his search, before pulling a tightly bound scroll from an inconspicuous cabinet.

His wizened voice was suddenly steely.

“What I tell you here today is not common knowledge and you would do well to remember this. There are some secrets which could be very… damaging. Now I do not know you nor why you have come to find me, but you bear the seal of the Museum of Dinnerwandered and that is good enough for me.

“Istrul Spraykingdoms was once one of our finest clergy. He rose among the ranks of the ecclesiarchy to become the chief inquisitor of the church, the Temple of Lurking, in around 1068. He took it upon himself to cleanse Dinnerwandered of the undead threat. But as happens so often, he was a weak and flawed man, and succumbed to the delicious whispers of power. I do not need to tell you, sir, of the untold riches and secrets locked in that place you call a Museum.

“On one fateful day, Istrul, driven mad by hubris, read an ancient book.

The ancient librarian peered over his thick glasses…

“Immortality in the Time of My Ancestors is the name of the forbidden book he read. It was created around 700 years ago, after the time of Kiros and Inid, by a human necromancer by the name of Rorec Helmstrick. My records do not indicate who deposited this tome in the Museum, but I suspect that it was part of the cache of the necromancer adventurer Kaslun Wadsomber who famously was too illiterate to read the forbidden secrets…”

The librarian stifled a chuckle.

“But I digress... Istrul was forever changed by his greed for unknown things. He took to the sewers and made himself a great army of zombies. On one fateful day, he raised the corpse of Kiros Carnagescrapes and lead him from the catacombs across the plains.

“From the journals he left behind, we know that to his final breath, Istrul deluded himself that he was doing the work of his church. In the end, he was ambushed and slaughtered by a kobold warband, of all things, and died an ignominious death.

“Now, if what you tell me is correct, then for 80 years since the death of his master, the zombie Kiros has wandered the Hideous Waste of Bandits to the south of Dinnerwandered, the sun flaying the ancient flesh from his bleached bones, until the young elf you spoke of happened to cross his path…”

The old man placed the scroll carefully where he found it.

“Now you must go,” he smiled, “but I suspect I will have reason to speak with you again soon...”

Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: December 23, 2013, 06:20:35 pm »

The history comes alive under your research and keystrokes, kesperan!  Well done!

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 162