Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 780880 times)

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world
« Reply #1500 on: January 31, 2014, 04:29:34 pm »

... even got the tools needed to kill the last boss of this game,
You were going to slay Dishmab? Such pertinence from the likes of you!

As they say in the ancient tongue of the dwarves, "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough!"
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: January 31, 2014, 04:43:38 pm »

(Nah - that's a jerk move, I apologize for posting it in the first place)

Fixed it for ya
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: February 01, 2014, 07:01:17 pm »

Adventurer list updated.

Koter's adventurer, Urdim, was slain by a mummy released in 1092 by Bora Ragedance, half a continent away from its original tomb. The year is now 1159, and still we are feeling the effects of Bora's mass undead insurgency.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: February 01, 2014, 09:35:57 pm »

Nothing can ever really be undone in this game. Something like 30 mummies wandering the wilds, all yours to enjoy. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: February 03, 2014, 12:10:46 am »

I've recently figured out  a simple way to create a slab and write whatever I want on it. The information is not lost when you save the world. Many players who are familiar with gm-editor should know how to do that, so this little manual for those who don't:

Requirements:
  • dfhack r3 or newer
  • createitem script
  • gui/gm-editor script

What you need to do:
  • Use createitem script to create a slab. (go to your adventurer's status and type in dfhack console: "createitem SLAB <material>", for example: "createitem SLAB GRANITE" without the quotes, of course.
  • Select created slab and call gm-editor, by typing "gui/gm-editor" (i advice you to create a shortcut). You must see a list of item's properties:
  • To make custom text appear on the slab select description field and type whatever you want. Slabs description will change to somethig like this
    This is a granite slab.
    The slab reads: "In memory of UristMcDragonSlayer, the greatest of all dwarves"
  • engraving_type field controls slab's name and appearance in game: -1 is default, 0 - memorial, 1-24 - different shop signs
  • quality and wear may also be changed for roleplay purposes.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 12:13:08 am by Raidau »
Marital status manipulator
Custom item descriprions
Natural Balance Mod (2013-2015) development suspended...

koter

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels Write Post: taken by mood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: February 03, 2014, 01:36:16 am »

Urdim was quietly moving through dense grass, tall trees of the Massive Brave Forests high above him, when he heard Erib scream. It was two days since he began his journey, and they have just left Roofbowel, and with it the territory of the Rainy Lashes. They were now in terra incognita, as far as his map would tell: trees and trees all around up to the Glad Seas. He was very thankful for having met Erib, since she was the only person who had the courage to leave home behind - even though he was uncomfortable with the thought of being alone in the wilds with a lady for a prolonged period of time. Anyway, she was a hunter, and he desperately needed someone to scare off bogeymen, so he had to take her.
And now she let out this painful scream - he looked back and saw her and an alligator. She probably made a shot at it, but the beast was too quick and strong, and it ripped her arm off. Urdim's eyes widened with terror and he vomited. Erib let out another scream. In a minute, it was over. She could not land a single blow on the thing. Urdim clutched the handle of his sword, but the alligator just lay there, probably not having noticed him in the first place. His heart beating fast, Urdim slowly turned around and crouched towards Roofbowel, leaving the place where he lost his first and only companion for this journey.
When he was back at the hamlet, he went into the nearest house and sat down, shaking and weeping. He was not ready to lose a friend so soon: they barely made a dozen steps.

He spent the rest of the day mourning Erib's death. But on the next morning, he knew he had to think of a new way to proceed. He had to move on. The hamlets were full of his kinsmen, who were scared to death by stories of three creatures of night right outside, in the woods.

He surveyed his inventory. The steel sword and shield were his most prized posessions. One day, he wandered into a house in Magicbusts and found out that an older swordsman had died. For some reason bodies would not rot above ground - no miasma or anything, they just decayed, simple and clean, so there was no practice of burying the dead among his above ground kinsmen. The dwarves living in that house liked the old man, and apparently they all knew him well, so they respectfully lay him there with his hands crossed on his chest. But the old man had something very rare among his equipment: a steel shortsword and shield. Since Urdim was the only dwarf who knew how to handle a sword in the whole of the Rainy Lashes, they let him replace his copper sword with the old man's steel one. They were glad that such a fine piece of craftsdwarfship would be of use to someone.
From that moment on, he considered it his responsibility before the clan to face the monstrosities that terrorized them: steel was the only metal known to be able to harm them.

That's how his journey began. And now he was alone again. A single night alone in the wilds was almost certain death.

He talked to almost every single dwarf in Magicbusts, Laboreddashes and Roofbowel, but they were too terrified of the prospect of accompanying him on his task. He couldn't blame them: after all, they were not fighters. He needed someone skilled and ready to face danger. He needed to find a mountainhome.
According to the map, the nearest fortress was to the north-east. Far to the north-east. There was no going around having to travel alone for many days, except one option: Bowelsmiths, the farthest and northerhnmost hamlet of the Rainy Lashes. Eventually, he made up his mind. He could get there in two days if he were fast enough, and he was ready to spend the night without sleep. He gathered his posessions, checked the supplies and walked out of Roofbowel, ready to face whatever danger was out there.

koter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: February 03, 2014, 03:10:42 am »

Soon he saw Erib's mutilated corpse by the riverbank. He made a long detour to avoid encountering the alligator that killed her and cautiously entered the densely wooded area of the Massive Brave Forest once again.

After a long day of sprinting through the forest, he noticed that the sun was beginning to set. He felt his heart sank as he surveyed his surroundings: no rock or stone to set his back to, only trees everywhere. He simply couldn't feel safe like this, he was a dwarf, after all. Apparently, his only choice was to risk wildfire by surrounding himself with camp fires and stay awake to avoid being taken by surprise by the bogeymen.

All of a sudden, he saw an entrance to an underground area between the trees. It seemed like a lair of some forest creature. He hurried on to the hole in the ground and stopped next to it to listen. Making sure it was quiet, he cautiously stepped down and...
I am Ecu Beastadores! - came a shout. He recognized the name. Standing before him in a small and narrow cave was a werebeast, one of the three of his targets. And, while she was large and seemed strong, she was in her elven form. For some reason, he stayed calm, even though he was facing real danger one on one for the first time in his life. He unsheathed his sword and struck, but she jumped away. Blocking her attack, he slashed with his sword and her elf blood stained the floor. She attacked him twice, he blocked, and seeing his chance he dropped his shieldf and grabbed her by the upper body. Her feral eyes widened with fear as she tried to struggle in vain against his strong grip. He drew back his arm and, letting out a deep roar, threw her across the cave. She slammed heavily into the wall, he took several quick steps and brought the sword down on her head.

He stepped back, breathing heavily. After a few moments he caught his breath and finally had the chance to look around him. At the other end of the cave there were two corpses of Ecu's previous challengers. He realized he could have met the same fate and took the time to mourn the death of all Ecu's victims.
Suddenly, he saw a glimmer of metal in the darkness. As he drew nearer, his eyes widened - it was a pick! He took it in his hands and felt how well it fit into his grasp. Just like his kinsmen, even though he lived above ground, deep down he knew that he was a digger all along. He took the pick and put it into his backpack.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:06:12 am by koter »

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: February 03, 2014, 10:40:19 am »

I've recently figured out  a simple way to create a slab and write whatever I want on it. The information is not lost when you save the world. Many players who are familiar with gm-editor should know how to do that, so this little manual for those who don't:

Requirements:
  • dfhack r3 or newer
  • createitem script
  • gui/gm-editor script

What you need to do:
  • Use createitem script to create a slab. (go to your adventurer's status and type in dfhack console: "createitem SLAB <material>", for example: "createitem SLAB GRANITE" without the quotes, of course.
  • Select created slab and call gm-editor, by typing "gui/gm-editor" (i advice you to create a shortcut). You must see a list of item's properties:
  • To make custom text appear on the slab select description field and type whatever you want. Slabs description will change to somethig like this
    This is a granite slab.
  • engraving_type field controls slab's name and appearance in game: -1 is default, 0 - memorial, 1-24 - different shop signs
Yes!! I've been trying to figure out how to do this for ages! Thank you so much! :D
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: February 03, 2014, 02:30:17 pm »

Another legendary alligator has been added to the creature pool, I wonder if we'll encounter him later.
It can be a pain to keep your companions alive.

Requirements:
  • dfhack r3 or newer
  • createitem script
  • gui/gm-editor script

What you need to do:
    This is a granite slab.
Awesome. This can have so many uses..
Does this also work in fortress mode? This could be really useful for leaving notes for adventurers, or just for providing some  background story to your fortress. I guess that instead of slabs, books could be used as well.

Everybody should feel free to use dfhack and this technique for creating slabs/books. (but please refrain from using the same technique to create slade warhammers or adamantine swords, please  ;D)
It's an extra reason for adventurers to invest in some reading skill. 

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: February 03, 2014, 02:52:29 pm »

Another legendary alligator has been added to the creature pool, I wonder if we'll encounter him later.
It can be a pain to keep your companions alive.

Requirements:
  • dfhack r3 or newer
  • createitem script
  • gui/gm-editor script

What you need to do:
    This is a granite slab.
Awesome. This can have so many uses..
Does this also work in fortress mode? This could be really useful for leaving notes for adventurers, or just for providing some  background story to your fortress. I guess that instead of slabs, books could be used as well.

Everybody should feel free to use dfhack and this technique for creating slabs/books. (but please refrain from using the same technique to create slade warhammers or adamantine swords, please  ;D)
It's an extra reason for adventurers to invest in some reading skill.

Are adamanitine warhammers OK?  8)
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: February 03, 2014, 03:29:36 pm »

No   :P

Also (I know nothing about programming) is there a way to add linebreaks in the text of the slab? It looks like the slab can take quite large text fragments, but it becomes slightly unreadable when its just a wall of text.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: February 03, 2014, 03:51:24 pm »

-snip-

...yes.

That's real good. Let me see if I can make a much more streamlined version of this.

EDIT:

That worked.
Code: [Select]
function createItem(mat,description,quality,pos)
    local item=df.item_slabst:new()
    item.id=df.global.item_next_id
    df.global.world.items.all:insert('#',item)
    df.global.item_next_id=df.global.item_next_id+1
    item:setMaterial(mat[1])
    item:setMaterialIndex(mat[2])
    item:categorize(true)
    item.flags.removed=true
    item:setSharpness(0,0)
    item:setQuality(quality-0)
    item.description=description
    dfhack.items.moveToGround(item,{x=pos.x,y=pos.y,z=pos.z})
    return item
end

function posIsValid(pos)
    return (pos.x~=30000 and pos.y~=30000 and pos.z~=30000) and pos or false
end

function engraveSlab()
    local script=require('gui.script')
    local pos
    if df.global.gamemode~=1 then
        pos=posIsValid(df.global.cursor) or posIsValid(dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit(true).pos) or posIsValid(dfhack.gui.getSelectedItem(true).pos)
        if not posIsValid(pos) then qerror('Needs a valid position (select an item or unit or place your cursor somewhere!') end
    else
        pos=posIsValid(df.global.world.units.active[0].pos) or posIsValid(df.global.cursor) or posIsValid(dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit(true).pos) or posIsValid(dfhack.gui.getSelectedItem(true).pos)
    end
    script.start(function()
    local matok,mattype,matindex=script.showMaterialPrompt('Slab','What should the slab be made of?')
    local descriptionok,description=script.showInputPrompt('Slab','What should the slab say?',COLOR_WHITE)
    local item=createItem({mattype,matindex},description,0,pos)
    end)
end

engraveSlab()
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 04:10:26 pm by Putnam »

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: February 03, 2014, 11:59:16 pm »

-
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:12:46 am by Raidau »
Custom item descriprions

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: February 04, 2014, 12:10:19 am »

-snip-

...yes.

That's real good. Let me see if I can make a much more streamlined version of this.

EDIT:

That worked.

Looks impressive, but how do I use it? :) seems like it has some dependances. I added script.lua  and dialogs.lua from  dfhack/library/lua/gui on github to my script/gui folder, it prints a lot of errors anyway.

Now i see.. it requires dfhack r4, script.lua and dialogs.lua, and it works! I hope community games will become more informative :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:58:02 am by Raidau »
Custom item descriprions

koter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: February 04, 2014, 12:51:34 am »

Several days have passed. Urdim abandoned his steel sword and was now using the pick as his primary weapon. He was getting very attached to it, and very skilled. When night would fall, he would dig out a hole in the ground or a nearby rock and carve out a small sleeping area for himself. The experience was... illuminating. The more time he spent underground, the more he has been feeling something rise up in him. He felt the urge to dig and carve and build, and he had never felt so comfortable and safe.

But he needed to venture forth. At dawn, he would gather up his posessions, have a hearty lump of honey badger meat, and move on. The northern lands brought a shock: everything was destroyed. There was no one there anymore, no dwarves or grazing animals, only broken and dilapidated houses and unkept fields. It seemed like they had been abandoned a long time ago. He now knew why there had not been any news from the North for a long time. But where did they all go? There were no posessions, no corpses, no anything. It just seemed as though at some point all of them took their belongings and animals and simply left. It was a complete mystery.

He was now heading back home. He needed to spread the news about Ecu's death. Maybe he would venture in another direction from there. To reach the nearest mountainhome in the north-east, he had three options: the sea, the desert, or the evil lands. It was going to be very, very dangerous, and he was not sure he was going to make it. At the very least, he would need something better than his giant rat leather armor for protection.
He reached the river. It was the same river that flew through Roofbowel, but much further upstream. He was getting closer.

He paused on the riverbank, surveyed the waters and cautiously started to move downhill...

His leg slipped. He fell into the river, and, all of a sudden, he noticed something move. Alligators! Two giant beasts were waiting for him right under the surface! One of them dashed forth violently, trying to close his jaws on his leg. He dodged the move and tried to get to the other shore. He was faster than them, but just when he was getting out of the water, the beast finally reached his foot. The pain was excruciating. He screamed. The alligator shook its head with his foot in the mouth. Urdim roared and struck with the pick. The alligator finally let go and Urdim crawled away from the riverbank. The second predator also got out of the water and they followed him. Urdim dodged their attacks and struck with the pick violently, moving back and not letting them attack at the same time. He would strike and strike, until the second alligator convulsed and tried to escape, trickling blood. The first one was still fighting, until Urdim finally brought the pick on its head, shattering the skull. Urdim looked around for the other one, and found it on the opposite riverbank, motionless. It was over.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:09:15 am by koter »
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 162