Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 782976 times)

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world
« Reply #1890 on: May 19, 2014, 09:35:11 pm »

I just noticed there is no civilization surrounding The Glad Seas but i definitely recall finding enormous town ruins nearby. I suppose an entire elven civilization was destroyed? Because it seemed to be in the jungle surrounding the sea but no living beings lived in the town. Also Dur Kunods placement is quite interesting. So far yet they established such a large dominion in the area

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: May 19, 2014, 11:32:06 pm »

That was really epic in a good way. Who knew that you could create so many interesting stories by playing adventure mode?
I do hope that Toady will fix the bugs we've encountered, because our game is a one long debug session.

I'll start on my turn soon.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: May 20, 2014, 07:16:47 am »

Also its been over 2 years and a month since I took my first turn... I just can't believe how long this has been going on

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: May 20, 2014, 03:26:51 pm »

Inertia is its own reward sometimes.  I think we should thank Toady in this instance that his updates are slowly released.  Like rising bread, this particular collaborative world wouldn't have achieved so much if it hadn't had enough time to develop naturally.

Thank you, Braalbard for keeping up with this, week after week for years.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: May 20, 2014, 04:54:59 pm »

I've been mucking about on the most recent save, and it crashes with alarming frequency. I think this game might be on its last legs :(
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: May 20, 2014, 05:13:39 pm »

OK, so what's the plan when this world becomes unplayable?  New world using the same gen seeds?  With what we know now, it might be interesting to gen the world up to the date we finally end this world and just put some world-spanning cataclysm event in the story, then each new adventurer can "dream" of the old world, maybe set up shrines where all the old fortresses used to be, ect... I don't know - it's a thought.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: May 20, 2014, 06:09:22 pm »

Well, we're not really lacking for a world-wide cataclysm - we have several adventurers that could singlehandedly take on the world and win, and on top of that the world is dying already. Maybe we could write a story about how with no children, everyone in the world just died of old age?

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: May 20, 2014, 07:26:03 pm »

By the way, Dishmab is not in Sunkengem, he is not near the corpse of Aco Knitadmire, and he has not returned to the Necromancer tower he was previously living in. He is basically wandering somewhere in the wilds, probably assigned to a random lair.

Some poor adventurer is in for a nasty surprise...
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: May 20, 2014, 07:55:29 pm »

Well, we're not really lacking for a world-wide cataclysm - we have several adventurers that could singlehandedly take on the world and win, and on top of that the world is dying already. Maybe we could write a story about how with no children, everyone in the world just died of old age?

The Portentous Domains - End of Days

The tale of a world where the people have lost the will to work, live, or procreate. Every civilization is in decline, the greatest fortresses are being entombed in time by unknown magic, and those few who choose to seek a better life encounter indestructible horrors who kill anyone unfortunate enough to be in their path.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: May 20, 2014, 08:37:59 pm »

The world has been dying. Civilizations have fallen against the test of time. Night creatures have grown in such considerable numbers life that even the dwindling societies of man, and dwarf cannot stop it. Even the goblins and their kind are dying out. The only thriving civilizations are that of the dwarves and now their new fortresses fall to a cursed magic that stops time upon the sites their fortresses lie.

After Aco faced Dishmab in battle the universe has been increasingly reaching Universal Heat Death and soon no place will be safe from its effect. Soon this  world will die and Armok and Toady shall look upon this save game and weep... for there are many bugs

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: May 21, 2014, 01:46:57 am »

Ley us pray daily to Armok and the Maker Toad, "Not Today"

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: May 21, 2014, 02:50:29 pm »

Well, it's been ages, but I've finally had the time to sit down and write another section about my turn last April. More coming very soon. Enjoy.
(Also, the latest turns are great! Kudos to the players.)

Continued from here .

Tasked with exterminating a livestock-eating beast, Thone Glenlarks entered the burrow. He was not, in fact, confronted by the huge ravenous skink that had been so vividly described to him. Instead, a stark naked man ran towards him, hurling obscenities from his froth-corrupted mouth. He was evidently mad, but that was only to be expected from someone spending his life alone in a dark hole.

The knife hurtled through the air and hit the madman in the leg, bringing his charge to a halt as he fell to the ground. Thone stepped forward, dagger in hand, and stabbed. The werecreature fell silent. 

Thone returned to the hamlet to collect his payment.
As he made for the market, a sudden faint cry came to his ears.

Thone stepped into the hut to investigate. Inside, a man stood over the corpse of a goblin, his knife still caked with fresh blood. The room was cluttered with several objects that struck Thone as dwarven trade goods – mushroom seeds, anvils and bars weren’t things that one would normally find in a peasants’ village. A fresh donkey corpse lay in the centre of the room. Thone glanced at the donkey, then back at the man, noticing the blood smears around his mouth. Well, someone had evidently been thirsty.

The dagger struck swiftly. Thone had not been paid to kill this vampire, but he was certain that his head would fetch a fair price on the market.

Uthra Gladnesscry. Such was the name uttered to Thone as he strode through the marketplace that dawn. The ringleader, it was said, of a gang of bandits which had reportedly been terrorizing the village since the previous century. The bandits called themselves “The Absolute Pots”. Thone allowed himself to momentarily raise an eyebrow before accepting his deposit and setting off towards Primeabyss, the flamboyantly-named and apparently well-known criminal hideout.

As an elf, Thone enjoyed two distinct advantages: supreme stealth and speed as he moved through the undergrowth and animals which had no problem with their necks being broken when he got hungry (as long as he smiled and looked them in the eye while doing so). Whilst the latter was great when it came to preparing dinner, it was the former quality which made Thone successful in combat. An enemy which does not notice you coming tends not to react to a sudden stab in the back, much less when his reaction speed is half your own.

Thus, Thone crept into the camp silently and swiftly. The bandits lay scattered around the area in a loose ring, a single crossbowman standing alone at the south of the camp. From his richly-decorated attire, Thone assumed him to be Uthra. Well, that, and the fact that he kept yelling out his own name like a madman.

Thone darted unseen from tree to tree until he reached the ringleader. Trees. All elves loved trees. Food, shelter and clean air they provided - such was the teaching of the druids, drummed into each elf for the first century of its life.

Thone too loved plants.

They burned well.

Thone ran, the blazing branch bright in his hands, forming an ever-growing ring of burning grass around Uthra. Choking smoke filled the air, followed by the shouts of panicked bandits as they became aware of the blaze. Even as he walked away from the inferno, the screams of a burning man rang in his ears.

Uthra Gladnesscry had been devoured.

Another vampire had been wiped off the face of the world.

Next Entry
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 07:01:11 am by Atomic Chicken »
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: May 21, 2014, 03:01:10 pm »

An update, great stuff.

I'm still working on my updates too, drawing everything is taking a me a bit longer than I expected, but it should be done soonish.

also:
OK, so what's the plan when this world becomes unplayable?  New world using the same gen seeds?  With what we know now, it might be interesting to gen the world up to the date we finally end this world and just put some world-spanning cataclysm event in the story, then each new adventurer can "dream" of the old world, maybe set up shrines where all the old fortresses used to be, ect... I don't know - it's a thought.

I hope the world will last until at least the release of the next DF version, that shouldn't be too far in the future. It's unlikely that the same seeds would produce a similar world in the next version, but theoretically the same height map could be used which would result in similar geography. There would be no real connection to our current history so referring to that in the new world would be a bit artificial. I'll probably experiment with stuff like that upon release, but actually, I think I'll end up starting with a completely new map.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 03:05:47 pm by Bralbaard »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: May 21, 2014, 03:36:23 pm »

Night creatures have grown in such considerable numbers life that even the dwindling societies of man, and dwarf cannot stop it.
Be it night creature, man, or beast, every species is in decline. The night trolls no longer abduct people and they no longer have children. However, they live forever, so an unopposed group of night creatures can grow huge before the end of worldgen.

I'm thinking a completely new world, with no remnants of the old. Maybe a small mod that lets all creatures breed? That way we'll have hydras.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: May 21, 2014, 04:35:53 pm »

Megabeasts actually breed in world gen, but it would be nice if they could be bred in fortresses too I guess.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 162