Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 782799 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)
« Reply #2115 on: August 12, 2014, 02:05:03 pm »

I assume the game would be in the new version.

Now is definitely the time to hunt for bugs and get them fixed, and I'm sure this one would be high priority if we have a save that produces the crash.
The problem is that the 'crash on unretirement bug' has always been hard to reproduce, and we do not know if the current version even has the bug. I've started a game for myself to hunt for it ( while having some fun with the new version). Feel free to start a community game to hunt for this, and other bugs. The more people we have looking for it, the better.

It would be usefull to hunt for other bugs as well that would appear in longer games only. We do not really know how stable this whole ' history continues after worldgen' thing is, but I'm sure it will have some problems.

I'll update the turn list.
NAV, is there any news on your turn?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 02:08:49 pm by Bralbaard »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: August 12, 2014, 03:16:47 pm »

Nganiz Mirthpointy was his name. He was skilled at hitting people with things.

Nganiz was in his village hut, crammed full of strangers and with a pile of corpses in the corner. He asked for a quest, and a beekeeper told him the tale of a vampire in the city to the northwest. A vampire who had killed over 2000 in his lust for murder.

Nganiz went to the city and asked the locals. They all said the vampire was in the city keep. He wandered around the city, through the corpse strewn markets and into the corpse filled keep. Strangely they were mostly dwarven corpses.

There was no vampire in the keep, or under it. There was some armour and shields though so he took those. He wielded a shield in each hand.

He traveled to a nearby town looking for adventure. He found a goblin master lasher. One lash to each leg, then two to the head and Nganiz was no more.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: August 12, 2014, 03:42:11 pm »

That's a sad story.. DF 34.11  NPC's are definitely a lot more effective than those in the current version...
Can you post the save game?

----------
About the "unretire crash bug" it will be very hard to track down. It only showed up in our current game after we had over 30 adventurers, we were unable to trigger it from the last good save game, nor did we find any hint as to what caused it. 

The bug report can be found here:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6310

Discussion in this very topic, can be found here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104399.msg4171715#msg4171715

We know Atomic Chicken likely ended his turn by retiring his adventurer (he at least survived). My guess would be that his adventurer somehow became corrupted, and that any attempt that tries to reload or view his adventurer will trigger a crash (such as opening load adventurer page with his name).
We know retired adventurers can become corrupted,  Evictedsaint's adventurer had his character become completely corrupted upon retiring, any attempt to visit the village he retired in (an event that would lead to his adventurer being loaded) causes the game to crash, some discussion of that can be found here : http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104399.msg4693521#msg4693521
(in response to why his information couldn't be added to the list of achievements and deaths that Kesperan has made)
By that time obviously, we were already unable to unretire. We do not know if it would have triggered the unretire crash had it been a fresh game, but is seems likely. We also do not know where atomic chicken retired, so it is hard to test from our current game if his adventurer can be approached in adventure mode or causes a crash like Evictedsaint's.
The bug is thus likely triggered by some kind of save game corruption. Evictedsaints village now triggers the "failed to load nemesis unit" error, but I think that is a very general message that is not very informative.
We should probably have reverted to the last good save when the thing occured in our current game, and that might have allowed us to play bug free for a much longer time. Or it might not have.
Toady has fixed several save game corrupting bugs lately, but those might have been unrelated, or he might have caught it, but that would be hard to confirm, it is hard to proof a bug isn't there.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 03:55:54 pm by Bralbaard »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: August 12, 2014, 04:13:51 pm »

I also finally updated the map with Timeless Bob fortress, Salveearths. It's close to the prairie of combinations.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:16:36 pm by Bralbaard »

Plancky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: August 12, 2014, 05:24:52 pm »

Well this bug is now dead so swarms of swarms of animals no longer clog up sites from repeatedly sleeping at them.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7821

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: August 13, 2014, 04:21:39 pm »

That was probably the worst bug for adventure mode in 34.11, good news.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: August 13, 2014, 08:38:44 pm »

Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: August 13, 2014, 09:46:29 pm »

Sign me up for the new game.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: August 14, 2014, 12:07:21 am »

You've been added to the list.. Have you had time to write a story about your previous turn?

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 01:08:29 am by Bralbaard »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: August 14, 2014, 01:08:39 am »

Also, I guess we are waiting for the whole morale situation to get fixed in adventure mode, but Fortress mode is already playable. How about getting some fortresses build for our explorers? The current version will likely be forward compatible, so that shouldn't be an issue.
We could have a short list of people interested in building a fortress, and I can send the save game to the first one on that list by PM (So the world won't be spoiled for others before we start playing). There would be no guarantee that you get to play a turn while on this list, because the real game might be started at any moment.
I have a world generated.  Is anyone interested in building a fortress?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: August 14, 2014, 03:16:45 am »

Also, I guess we are waiting for the whole morale situation to get fixed in adventure mode, but Fortress mode is already playable. How about getting some fortresses build for our explorers? The current version will likely be forward compatible, so that shouldn't be an issue.
We could have a short list of people interested in building a fortress, and I can send the save game to the first one on that list by PM (So the world won't be spoiled for others before we start playing). There would be no guarantee that you get to play a turn while on this list, because the real game might be started at any moment.
I have a world generated.  Is anyone interested in building a fortress?

I'm interested.  I've already had my ass handed to me by a jumping bronze golem, so 5 z-level high walls are no deterrent for them.  Regular invaders path appropriately though.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: August 14, 2014, 02:56:39 pm »

I've already had my ass handed to me by a jumping bronze golem, so 5 z-level high walls are no deterrent for them.

:o impressive.

You should have a PM.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: August 15, 2014, 05:41:24 pm »

I'd also like to fiddle some forts. I find I'm unable to generate large worlds on my current computer.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: August 17, 2014, 10:44:46 pm »

I would like a try at making some forts for the new game, I suck at fortress mode but I might be able to make some interesting structures to be found.
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Plancky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: August 18, 2014, 02:55:36 am »

I am up for making a fort.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 162