Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 777177 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)
« Reply #2265 on: October 14, 2014, 01:15:10 am »

Ok, due to some further shuffling of the turn list it is Deidei's turn now.

Deidei

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: October 18, 2014, 10:58:20 am »

Didn't really notice this so sorry for the late reaction. I'll try to get some work done before the next week, (27-10-2014) because I will have a lot of tests from then. Not that I expect to last that long :P

Deidei

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: October 19, 2014, 01:33:05 pm »

Hm.. WinRar says part of the file is corrupt and simply stops.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anyone have an idea what might be wrong?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: October 19, 2014, 11:59:52 pm »

I'll try and figure out what's up this evening.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: October 20, 2014, 02:42:04 pm »

Hmm I downloaded the save file from the link I send you and it seems to work fine for me.
Your download was probably incomplete or somehow got corrupted. Redownloading might fix it.

Deidei

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: October 24, 2014, 08:18:48 am »

I'm sorry, but I'll have to abort my turn. The game is literally running so slowly that I wouldn't have done anything by the deadline.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: October 25, 2014, 12:24:40 am »

I've picked up the save game..

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: October 26, 2014, 04:21:22 pm »

The journal of Ked Frillcombat

White is the only color. The howling wind the only sound. The freezing cold is the only thing you feel, but it fades, fades into numbness, a complete loss of feeling. With nothing to occupy the senses, one can finally focus.

There are few that dare focus, that dare face themselves, that dare to contemplate on what truly matters beyond that. But when I look out over these frozen wastes, I know that I will find enlightenment here.

My journey started several days ago, in Leechdooms in the human empire of Gil Ladgi. Like elsewhere, the people here fear the cold. The southern half of Gil Ladgi is kept alive by powerful magical wind that blows warm air south from Crescentattic, along the Ominous Spikes. This warm air has even thawed the ashen oceans, a long stretch of sea is free of ice.
At this latitude anything should be frozen, but instead it is where one will find the beautiful jungles, a near tropical forest that extends as far south as Wickedchant. Gill Ladgi extends even further south and is said to end at the town of Inkedtorment, in the Scabrous morass. While the name doesn't sound inviting, the temperatures there are above freezing, and very agreeable for a location that is nearly on the south pole.

I however have chosen to no longer bask in this tainted warmth. I have lived my entire life in the empire of Gil Ladgi, but it has brought me nothing. Two days ago I left Leechdooms behind, traveling east into the Blizzard. My goal is the monastery of FrozenAbbey. Little is known about this place, except for the fact that it was founded by dwarves decades ago, and that it is one of the most isolated places known to man. If all goes well, I should arrive tomorrow

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 04:42:18 am by Bralbaard »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: October 28, 2014, 04:58:59 pm »

I made it to Frozenabbey. Uppon aproaching the abbey I accidently disturb a nest of small creatures. Fluffy wamblers! I never knew they could live in such a bitter cold environment.  I catch one of the creatures, feed it some plump helmet and put it in my backpack, I is said they make good traveling companions.
When I turn back towards the fortress I spot a dwarf walking towards me, he is seemingly unbothered by the cold, and we shake hands, his hand is cold like the snow, and so is the look in his eyes.. before I can stop myself, I blurt out "but..but.. you're a vampire!"

The look in his eyes changes from bitter cold to a raging fire and he jumps at me with a wide open gaping mouth. His teeth barely miss my neck and sink into my arm. Having missed my arteries, he shakes his head and tears himself free. I grasp my arm, it is a ruined mess. I try to run towards the fortress dodging a few blows, but the vampire aims for my legs. I feel a sharp pain and fall to the ground, he smashes me in the face leaving my nose broken. Then out of nowhere two dwarven children jump out from the snow dunes in front of me and attack the vampire.

I crawl away from the enraged vampire, and see that another dwarf joins the battle. I fall over and roll down a gentle slope, then all goes dark..
When I wake up there is a dwarf standing over me. There are others nearby, watching. I must have been conscious for considerable time.

"My name is Shem Basementomens, mortal. I am here to inform you we have been.... instructed..... to spare your life."

I notice I can't feel my arm, but my leg feels like I could stand, and I awkwardly rise to my feet. 

The dwarf continues: "Many of us are hungry, so do not abuse our hospitality, and do not mistake it for kindness. Feel free to roam around the fortress, while we decide what to do with you"

"Do not think you can  get away. There is nowhere to hide out there on the featureless frozen wastes, not from us."
I look around and see there are dozens, if not a hundred of them, all with the same unnatural, thirsty gaze fixed on me. I sure am in trouble.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: October 29, 2014, 02:10:21 pm »

I spent the rest of the day uneasily exploring the fortress, hoping to find a way out, despite the warnings. It was clear that everybody in the fortress was a vampire, the signs were everywhere, and it was even openly discussed.

I have heard a lot of stories about vampires, but I never expected them to make such a mess of things. The fortress looked like a war zone. Furniture, rocks, underwear and useless items were scattered randomly about. It looked like the vampires cared little for comfort. I visited several surface buildings: there was a pyramid of sorts, some storage rooms and there was a huge underground space that the vampires referred to as the tree farm. None of these looked like living space, and all were littered with rocks and debris, the rest of the fortress appeared to have flooded years ago, but nobody seemed to care.

At some places I spotted stairwells descending into the water, suggesting there was something down there. In other places there were doors that, when opened, revealed solid ice walls, suggesting that the room beyond had filled with water that had long since frozen.

I uncovered a tunnel that had only partly filled with water, and started to explore. The tunnel was long, and at first I thought it might be a way out, however it went nowhere. There were more tunnels like it, it looked like they had been mined out in a search for metals. Where those had been found larger spaces were mined out and nothing of value remained.

I have never learned to swim, but after wading through these tunnels for hours I started to feel comfortable in the water and was able to keep myself afloat even in deep water. I was so distracted by this new-found skill that I failed to notice the water had been steadily rising, from the initial height of 5/7 to 6/7 and beyond. Some waves now even reached the ceiling, leaving no room to breath.

I panicked, and tried to swim back, but there were strong currents, and despite my new familiarity with water, I often flailed around helplessly. The water reached ever higher, and I frantically searched the ceiling for air pockets. I made progress, but it was slow, too slow... I accidently swallowed the salty water and coughed, the air pockets were too small too clear my throat and with the tunnels flooded it was almost impossible to find my way back, the cold water drained the last of my energy.

Somehow I made it back to the stairs and crawled out onto the level above, coughing, and completely out of breath.
A vampire, more mighty than the ones I had met before stood above me and spit at me.
He introduced himself with a thundering voice:
"My name is Cog Knighteddiamonds the Bowel of Wails!
Wielder of Deathpears, the artifact bronze sword! Wielder of the Nourishing Recreation, the artifact shield!
"

The vampire lord continued: "So you thought you could escape, mortal? I am thirsty and could offer you a more easy way out of this life!"
He reached for me but was stopped by a vampire who stood behind him. The same vampire that had been watching over me when I woke up after the fight earlier today, he spoke with anger in his voice:
It has been foretold by the legends! We need him for the mission! He lowered his voice and continued: "All signs point to the fact that this pitiful human is guided by the unknown force, we need to take him along to break the spell, or we will never complete our journey!"
The mighty vampire warlord, initially drew his artifact sword, but lowered it again and glared at the other dwarf.
"Take this piece of filth with you then, you are leaving in the morning"

The next morning we left at dawn, me and five vampires:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:24:50 pm by Bralbaard »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: October 30, 2014, 07:37:19 pm »

Sweet!

I kind of assumed that Eric Blank had turned his entire fort into vampires as there were numerous references in the legends to them, but nobody had ventured there to confirm it until now.

Fun!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: October 31, 2014, 01:45:51 am »

Yeah, I did. I was hoping they'd immigrate to other peoples forts en masse and wreak havoc before everyone caught on. Guess the ghosts up now, though. :P

I should stop trying to unleash undead plagues on the world, huh?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: October 31, 2014, 04:05:55 am »

An interesting thing to note is that I accused that first vampire completely by accident. I somehow messed up in the conversation menu and selected the option. I was quite unpleasantly surprised when the dwarf turned out to be an actual vampire and nearly murdered me.

The signs were obvious after that, literally everyone in the place is a vampire.
Back to the story:

------------------------------------------------------------

Before we had properly left the fortress, all hell broke loose. A large group of peregrine falcon men dove from the air, attacking both the vampires and me. The vampires took a purely defensive stance, which was getting us nowhere, the falcon men were careful to stay out of reach. I managed to wound one, causing it to fly close to the ground, and finished it. The other falcon men attacked, but they were no match to a human in combat, if they were down on the ground.
I slew all five falcon men. The vampires did not comment, but Mafol's face gave away that he was impressed.

We finally left the fortress, and I had the chance to take a good look at my companions. They were broad and muscled, but one could not easily tell they were vampires. Most were carrying a weapon. Mafol was carrying a heavy chest, and was visibly slowing us down. When she saw me look at her, she dropped the chest, and told me to carry it. I walked over and tried to lift it: it was impossible, it didn't even move. The vampires laughed, and Vucar opened the chest. It was filled to the rim with weapons: steel swords, axes and maces. On top there was one weapon, wrapped in cloth, and Vucar carefully unpacked it:

It was a bronze artifact unlike any I had ever seen before, Vucar spoke: Behld! Lockboards the bridg of asmbls!!
Vucar had a habbit of pronouncing words incompletely. What? I asked.
"Lockboards the bridg of asmbls!! " Vucar repeated. One look at him made it clear that I should not ask again.
(OOC: Mafol really was carrying the chest with the artifact, this is in fact, why I recruited him. Also, how do you see the full name of an artifact? I only got the abbreviated version)

The artifact was carefully stowed away, and Mafol again lifted the chest. We traveled until deep in the night. The dead never rest so the vampires had no reason to stop, but in the end Mafol commanded the others to set up camp. Despite the angry and hungry glares of the vampires I fell asleep in minutes, the day had been exhausting. I woke up to the sound of weapons. The camp was under attack by a yeti. The vampires took it down without much effort.
While I was not fully rested it seemed better to move on rather than to ask for more time.

We moved on. By the time the sun was starting to set I suddenly saw the contours of a huge fortress emerge from the fog.   
Sllverywnd! Vucar blurted out.
Silverywind! Edėm corrected him.
I had never seen such impressive architecture. The towers, the walkways and the walls were huge, a few were partly collapsed, they must have been taller in the past. The place looked unnatural. The walls seemed to be made of ice, but it was somehow corrupted, dark, and even colder than ice should be. A lot of the structure was covered in a revolting pink slush.

The dwarves moved in, and headed straight for the northwestern section of the fortress. "Hurry!" Edėm commanded. We entered a workshop and climbed up the stairs. Shem opened a wooden chest: "The amulet is here, as foretold!" she exclaimed.
"Mounsants th Rlr-Fr of Rwrds!" Mumbled Vucar; he fell to the ground trembling.

Mafol explained: "This is Mournsaints the Ruler-Fire of rewards. It's presence here is a miracle in itself, but it has been foretold. This artifact was created in a time that has long been forgotten. What we do know is, that over a hundred years ago, a human by the name of Bralbaard took it from Silverywind, only to be brutally murdered by a group of bandits. Sarvesh Ducimvod later found the amulet, and took it to a place known as "The Museum". As you can see it is no longer in the museum, it teleported back to Silverywind. This chest, you see, is no ordinary chest, but it is bound to the artifact, they can not be seperated. To own the amulet, one needs the chest." She continued: "We NEED the amulet for it's connection to this museum." 
"The Museum, contains the greatest treasures known to this world, and they rightfully belong to us. The Museum was founded by the vampire lord Teshil despairdaub in the age of myth, over 140 years ago. We have evidence that the bloodline of our cult can be traced back to Teshil making us his rightful heirs. He was the greatest vampire that ever lived, and has consumed over 31400 humans during his reign"
Mafol started to talk with a raised voice now: "Due to an act of horrible treason, Teshil was murdered by Kaslun Wadsomber the Whirling Anguish, and the museum was taken from our clan." "It is our mission to return to Dinnerwandered, claim the museum, and to bring the city back under proper vampiric rule!"

With the help of Mournsaints and Lockboards none will be able to challenge us. We will leave for the museum right away.
Now pick up that chest, and start moving!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:16:30 am by Bralbaard »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: October 31, 2014, 05:36:56 pm »

A day after the expedition left Silverywind they ran into trouble when they were ambushed by a single undead harpy.
Judging by the odds: (5 immortal warriors armed with artifacts and weapons and one peasant against a single, relatively weak creature) not many would have predicted the outcome.

It started when the human, Ked Frillcombat, perhaps somewhat overconfident, charged into battle and failed to hit the harpy. When he looked back he saw that none of the vampires were following him. The harpy clawed him across his chest, and left a shallow but painfull wound. "What are you waiting for!" Ked exclaimed, while he again missed the harpy. This time the harpy clawed at his leg and he felt something snap. Ked realized it might be wise to regroup with the dwarves and started to limp back, with the harpy in pursuit  "I could use some help here!"
Mafol replied. "I wish we could but, there is this ehm.. that harpy is dead isn't it?"
"Aauch!! my arm!" Not quite dead enough! undead I guess. This hurts! "
Ah yes that is a problem, see we can not interfere, we have this understanding with the..
"Help me here!, this isn't a thing like the elves have with trees is it?"
Ehm, the point is, that harpy is.. we can not..
O fu.. (at this point Ked passed out)

Mafol: "This is rather awkward"
Edėm: "I guess he is right but did he just call me an elf?"
Mafol: "Wait he is regaining consciousness!, incredible"

(The harpy proceeds to gouge the left eye of Ked )

Mafol: That does look painful. We really can't help him though.

(Ked reaches the dwarves, while the harpy gouges his right eye.)

Edėm: He does last an awful long time for a mortal.

(Ked flails around blindly for at least ten more minutes, while the harpy continues to scratch and bite him. Meanwhile the dwarves just stand there and do nothing but comment on the awkwardness of the situation. Finally after a far too long time Ked finally suffocates. )

---------------------------------------------

And so ends the life of Ked Frillcombat. I had somehow expected that having five vampire companions would make me quite invincible, but it turns out they are probably the most unreliable companions you can have.

Like the last time I have failed to get an accurate screenshot of where I lost the artifact. It's likely somewhere in the middle of the following screenshot:
That means it's remarkably close to where I lost it the last time, but I guess that this time you can't just walk back to Silverywind too fetch it.
Here is the save game. Timeless bob is up next:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/1b7p7bwlr96936q/The_Museum_76.rar
Here's the map of my short and unfortunate journey:

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: October 31, 2014, 05:53:53 pm »

Downloading now.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 162