Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jump into wells/climb back up rough walls  (Read 2721 times)

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Jump into wells/climb back up rough walls
« on: March 05, 2012, 02:33:13 am »

Hey, I was walking in adventurer mode, drinking at a well as usual... and then a !!mood!! struck me. I had to get into that well. One way or another. Shift-walk didn't work, alt-walk didn't work, u didn't work, and nothing I could think of would ever work. Which made me a depressed little cheesemaker until I had a nice dinner in a fine room. Obviously.

So, I'd like to suggest being able to hop into wells. And, since some are simply aquifer layers rather than other pools of water, I'd also suggest having some way to climb up natural and rough constructed walls (you could still build smooth walls out of blocks to keep people from climbing up them, or perhaps smooth existing constructions for the same thing. Alternatively, you could roughen up stone for dwarves that fell into wells and stuff... but then, why not just build stairs?). Even if there'd be no pathfinding support for that kind of climbing, it wouldn't break much if only adventurer mode characters could do it and doing so would slow them to 1/10th of their normal speed. Being shot at would pretty much interrupt all climbing and you'd fall back down so it wouldn't let you climb up something to escape combat and it wouldn't be that different from stepping off a cliff to escape either. It's very important, obviously, that the first step after you start climbing is still on the original spot, so your enemies can take full advantage of the 1/10th walking speed to get up to you and smack you around.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Jump into wells/climb back up rough walls
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 02:39:14 am »

I don't know about wells, but the ability to jump and climb in adventure mode are part of the devpages already.  (Under "Adventure Role: Treasure Hunter: Movement".)

Fortress Mode, siegers are also supposed to get wall-scaling abilities, as well. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 09:34:55 pm »

Why would you want to go into wells? It seems kinda suicidal.

Until Lassie is implemented, at least.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 06:19:37 am »

Why would you want to go into wells? It seems kinda suicidal.

This is Dwarf Fortress.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 05:03:15 pm »

Some might lead down to caverns and stuff. And if the bucket can reach water safely, you can just use the chain or rope to climb down. Aaaaaand I recall bugs where the well led into some crypt. Which would be awesome: climbing down the rope/chain of a well, ending up in some tomb.. murdering all the dead things, stealing secrets to life and death, and climbing back up the rope thing.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 03:14:18 pm »

Some might lead down to caverns and stuff. And if the bucket can reach water safely, you can just use the chain or rope to climb down. Aaaaaand I recall bugs where the well led into some crypt. Which would be awesome: climbing down the rope/chain of a well, ending up in some tomb.. murdering all the dead things, stealing secrets to life and death, and climbing back up the rope thing.

I think I've played that game before.

If nothing else, they tend to be some good fishing spots, but you can find the final dragon in one of those wells.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 09:53:20 pm »

The problem with allowing going down a well, is that you would at the same time allow going back up. But in dwarf mode this would mean allowing flying creatures to fly out out of a well that goes into a cavern water source. A well with a hatch should not allow such things, and it makes sense for dwarves to build hatch covers over wells.

Now this could be solved by making a well work like a floor hatch, but dwarves would rarely leave a well open then. It could also be solved by making humans build different wells from dwarves, without hatch covers.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 10:05:13 pm »

The problem with allowing going down a well, is that you would at the same time allow going back up. But in dwarf mode this would mean allowing flying creatures to fly out out of a well that goes into a cavern water source. A well with a hatch should not allow such things, and it makes sense for dwarves to build hatch covers over wells.

Now this could be solved by making a well work like a floor hatch, but dwarves would rarely leave a well open then. It could also be solved by making humans build different wells from dwarves, without hatch covers.

Things already CAN come up wells in fort mode.

At least, I know I've seen tales of skeletal whales climbing up wells and into forts before.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 10:38:21 pm »

O, yes. Chickadee FB with an necrosis-syndrome entered (and ended) one of my forts in .31 by coming up the well in the hospital. Fliers certainly can go up well shafts.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 10:57:01 pm »

In that case yeah, if something thing go out, then things should be able to fall or dodge in.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 05:25:05 am »

A well with a hatch cover might be nice, but it should require an actual hatch cover to make. Perhaps you'd just remove your well and rebuild a slightly-different-well-with-cover, or perhaps it could be upgraded with some Q-command. Either way, on the long term it'd be nice to be able to climb up the rope and if there's a hatch, bash it open as an adventurer. (checking the material of the hatch cover and the blocks used in construction, to see if you can get through it with your current weapon)