Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Best Floorplan for...  (Read 7824 times)

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Floorplan for...
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 11:26:56 am »

I too prefer the "Feast room" setup described above.

For bedrooms, I just build a couple of Dormitories at convenient locations.

Kinezin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.byond.com/
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 12:46:59 pm »

I just make a pure square or circle shaped dining room with some extra rooms on the side for food storage, as well as drinks and what not. Mostly the dining room area ends up as a 'Burrow' room in times of emergency, but then as I get more slaves dwarves I'll make an arena or something like that in its place, but still use it as a safe room.

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 02:03:08 pm »

The U-shaped feasthall and shared bedroom/dining room ideas are sounding interesting. I think I may modify the feasthall to fit with my general fortress plan.

I use a modified version of the shaft design described in the wiki:
  • Designate central 7x7 square across several levels (this is room enough for four workshops, or forge + 3 smelters, with walking area in between.)
  • Designate 2x2 stairs connected to each corner, then un-designate the stairs that are actually diagonally adjacent to the central area to create four "bracket" stairs around the center.
  • Designate 3-tile-wide hallway around brackets.
I dig the stairs and hallway first on all levels, then excavate the central area in different ways. On craft levels, there's a doorway in the middle of each wall. For food production (kitchen, butcher, tanner, cage for excess birds/dogs/cats,) there's only one doorway, with an actual door to control miasma. Other levels might eliminate the walls entirely for meeting areas or other purposes. Outside the hallway, it's storage areas/other workshops, dining rooms, or bedrooms.

I've been trying different schemes for noble's rooms (split office/bedroom/dining across three levels, put all three rooms around one corner of a level.) What I'm thinking after reading this is that I can dig an 11x11 area out from one of the hallways on a level, put good table two tiles from one end, add good throne and assign this as a 5x5 dining room for a noble, then create a row of tables/chairs along either side to form the U in a grand feast hall, with the central area reserved for statues and other decorations. The 5x5 area is open to the rest of the dining hall, but doesn't overlap, so that makes it easier to keep the quality up. Plus, plenty of room around the table for fancy decorations.

It's not as compact as the designs I've been using, but I could easily put four such halls on one level, with food stockpiles at the corners and kitchen in the center. And I could modify my 2x3 bedrooms by removing the wall between pairs of rooms and putting a table/chair there, so that dwarves can have individual rooms while still being able to keep track of each other and minimize vampirism.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 02:59:15 pm »

Sometimes I make dome dining rooms, massive things. Other times I just make rudimentary big fucking rectangles, smooth and engrave, dump chairs and tables in, in orderly lines. then a place for vital levers

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 03:23:22 pm »

It's worth mentioning that dwarfs do not care in any way about the shape of their bedroom/dining room (only the value).

These concerns are for the player's happiness and enjoyment, not the dwarfs. ;)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 03:29:20 pm »

There are a couple ways that I do dining halls, depending on my mood.

First one:
Code: [Select]

T=Table
C=Chair
_=floor

________
_CTTC_
_CTTC_
_CTTC_
_CTTC_
________

For however many in the row I want, then repeate horizontally to fill the room.  This is quck and efficient, and when done over engraved floors with improved tables and chairs, is more than enough to give dwarves happy thoughts.

The more advanced floorplan...
T=Table
C=Chair
S=Statue
_=Floor

_CTTTC____TTT____
___C_______CCC____

In a repeating, alternating pattern. They can by 50% offset betweern pattern rows, to make a diamond grid instead of a square one for the pattern. This increases the density of the room.

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 05:18:14 pm »

Dining hall goes 7 wide, however long.

(wall) table chair space statue space chair table (wall)

Every other row is empty, so dwarves don't have to sit next to people and make friends with people who are going to die.

I use a 3x3 staircase column, and my dorms consist of 8 3x3 rooms around the staircase, along with 4 shared doors, over in the corners.  Generally I go up and down (I'm a very vertical person), but sometimes I can't do that (caverns, etc.) so it expands by 16 more rooms, all 3x3.  Furniture consists of bed, cabinet, coffer, armor stand, weapon rack.

I find this to be efficient, and give that sense of regimentation that I feel to be important in my fortress design.

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 06:52:55 pm »

Even though the days of the 7x7 big room cave in are over, I still enjoy leaving unmined "pillars" standing in large common areas or halls. I leave them to separate 5x5 or 6x6 open areas to break up the 7x7. Looks great once the entire hall is smoothed.

..#......#..  A simple pillar

..#......#..
.###....###.  Larger for more flavor
..#......#..

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 07:50:17 pm »

Below the trade and farming level, there is a 11 wide ramp (with 11 steel hatches) leading to a long hallway. (after a dip in 2/7 water) The 11 wide 6 embark tile long hallway is engraved; and sub-masterwork engraving are in process of being floored/removed/re-engraved.

The dining hall, being the true center of my fort looks like:

(C)hair (T)able (S)tatue (D)oor (W)all (>) down stairs
D+++++>+++++D
W++CTS+STC++W
W++STC+CTS++W
W++CTS+STC++W
D++STC+CTS++D
W++CTS+STC++W
W++STC+CTS++W
W++CTS+STC++W
D+++++>+++++D

The middle doors are glass, opening to tombs that line the main hall
The doors at the top/bottom (repeating) lead to the side halls with the bedrooms and etc.
Two levels down the stairs (I only dig out alternate levels, to avoid pancake collapses) is the prepared food/booze stockpiles, with alternating jail chains/beds between them, so that prisoners are usually in reach of food and drink.
At the other end of the hall in another down ramp, with leads to the mining/forges (after another 2/7 water dip).
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 04:12:53 pm »

I'm generally only limited by how I initially decided to divide my lands. Normally I secure a 120x120 area to build in, but with evil biomes I've noticed an increased difficulty in securing such large parameters :I

Basically in dining room terms, I have a bar area with rows of chairs lined up to rows of tables, and a dining area with two chairs opposite each other on either side of a table.

like this
π╤π   π╤π   π╤
π╤π   π╤π   π╤
π╤π   π╤π   π╤
π╤π   π╤π   π╤
π╤π   π╤π   π╤
π╤π   π╤π   π╤
Pages: 1 [2]