Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36

Author Topic: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks  (Read 202041 times)

Amallar

• Bay Watcher
  • Just turn 360 degrees and walk away.
    • View Profile
Re: Could an adamantine battle axe really kill?
« Reply #180 on: March 15, 2012, 02:02:03 pm »

Based on all this, I propose that adamantine can be honed to an edge thickness of less than one quadrillionth of a meter (I'm not very good with logarithms, so someone else can work it out more precisely).  This is well below the radius of a single proton.

How much would that be relative to electrons? Something smaller? Something much smaller? Would a blade of that size even be useful? Wouldn't it just go through all the empty space between the target's atoms? Too many questions?

an electron does not really have an effective point particle size under ordinary conditions. Electron orbitals are treated as fuzzy quantum uncertainty clouds where if you were to perform a point measurement, you have varying degrees of probability of detecting a point particle electron entity.

(Really, due to the wave/particle duality of the electron, it really does exist as a fuzzy cloud and not as a particle UNTIL you look for it to collapse the wave function.)

The size of the fuzzy cloud an electron bound to an atom manifests as is considerably larger than an atomic nucleus, because the clouds are highly energetic, have very strong pauli exclusion with their full integer spin, and very strong EM repulsion.

The vast majority of the volume of the atom is comprised of the electron clouds surrounding it.

That the edge of the weapon is thinner than an electron orbital is.... interesting.  It means that adamantine is not baryonic matter, or at least, is not atomic in nature.

Hmm.... So adamantine is, or is at least similar to, dark matter? If slade and adamantine are essentially polar counterparts, then perhaps both of them are synonymous to protons/electrons on a non-baryonic scale. That is, both of them could actually be counterparts in a larger quantum structure, much as protons and electrons are to atoms. Non-baryonic matter is not atomic in nature, as you stated; so it stands to reason that any instances of polar non-baryonic matter would be a basis for non-baryonic "molecules" (or whatever structure could be formed from N-B polar components.
Daily Blurb

Efficiency and esotericism are the true facets of alignment; not good and evil, for both good and evil are subjective. Good and evil are simply chaos -- and order is their absence.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 15, 2012, 02:10:30 pm »

Nonbaryonic matter is matter that isn't made of baryons. (Protons, neutrons, et al.)

Things like electrons, neutrinos, muons, that kind of thing.

Nonatomic baryonic matter is stuff like bose-einstein condensates, neutron star core material, etc.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 15, 2012, 02:10:52 pm »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 15, 2012, 02:13:46 pm »

Any technology, sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from magic.

;)

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 15, 2012, 03:00:29 pm »

The bolt still needs control fins to avoid tumble.  It needs to spin around its long axis to do this as well.

etc.

Hmm, good point. Couldn't the shaft be fluted cleverly to mimic this, to a certain extent?

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 15, 2012, 03:01:39 pm »

I found the answer!
Your link needs fixin'.

More to the topic, perhaps the subatomic edge splits the atoms in the body, freezing the victim solid or; if hitting a heavy metal, creates a microscopic atomic bomb that "...tears it apart!"

Ladies and gentlemen, we are approaching the question to the answer which is 42! :o

Edit: Changing the title to something more apropriate to the disscusion.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 15, 2012, 03:05:05 pm »

Also slightly off-topic, but I'd always imagined that the reason adamantine is extracted as strands to be this: when a dwarf dies, his beard crawls back underground for eternity, and fossilizes in the blue stuff we all know and love. And, as everyone knows, dwarves always die in droves, these blue spires become pretty monumental. Every adamantine spire underground is a fortress from an age long past

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Science and physics quirks
« Reply #187 on: March 15, 2012, 03:06:40 pm »

Ladies and gentlemen, we are approaching the question to the answer which is 42! :o

I think the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything was found in one of the books. The question was "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?" or somesuch. (Yes, I know the answer is 54)

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 15, 2012, 03:10:07 pm »

Also slightly off-topic, but I'd always imagined that the reason adamantine is extracted as strands to be this: when a dwarf dies, his beard crawls back underground for eternity, and fossilizes in the blue stuff we all know and love. And, as everyone knows, dwarves always die in droves, these blue spires become pretty monumental. Every adamantine spire underground is a fortress from an age long past
The origins of adamantite, as written on the wiki:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything was found in one of the books. The question was "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?" or somesuch. (Yes, I know the answer is 54)
Base 13. Also, I do remember reading that, but it is stated that the universe would be warped beyond recognition if both existed at once. And that it might already have happenend.
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 15, 2012, 03:15:14 pm »

i like this so much.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 15, 2012, 03:17:00 pm »

Huh. I'm pretty sure it wasn't.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 15, 2012, 03:20:47 pm »

It is near the end of the third book, but I can't control check right now since I no not know where I put the book (and it is the swedish version... ::) ).

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 15, 2012, 03:28:32 pm »

I can see that our arguments have lead to the disscusion of the forces in a nucleus (among other things). This is something not even the greatest minds of our generation understand fully understand. This inevitabely means someone will start preaching over something beyond their ability to comprehend.

The laws of quantum physics are unbelivablely complex. Teleportation! Duplication! Quantum entanglement! For Armoks sake I'm still in elementary school!

TRANSMOGRIFY!!!!

It is near the end of the third book, but I can't control check right now since I no not know where I put the book (and it is the swedish version... ::) ).

You SURE this wasn't something they added, just for the Swedes?

EDIT: I KNEW IT. The Vogons screwed up EVERYTHING.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrases_from_The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy#Answer_to_the_Ultimate_Question_of_Life.2C_the_Universe.2C_and_Everything_.2842.29

But back on topic, all of this reminds of the frictionless ship for HHGTG, for some reason....
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 03:31:47 pm by nightwhips »
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 15, 2012, 03:31:32 pm »

Yes, but that was using decoding the matrix in Arthur's brain, which was genetically comprimised by the Golgafrincham invasion.  The experiment was ruined tens of thousands of years before Arthur was born.

Back to adamantine and slade, is it possible that they have different inertial and gravitation mass (within themselves, not just with each other)? That would certainly explain a lot of adamantine's properties - it would be light to lift, but require more force to heft.

I really like the idea of slade and adamantine being formed from a pair of quantum locked particles that become separated and crystallise out somehow.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 15, 2012, 03:47:56 pm »

Actually I'm not sure.  Today we make arrows out of carbon fibers and whatnot, making them lighter and thinner, to achieve better flight.  The thing is that an adamantine arrow is not a nerf dart.  While similar weight, your arrow will be non-porous, very thin, and very fast.  Any wind is negligible, and a proper adamantine arrow wouldn't have an arrowhead, it would just have a point (with perhaps a groove to encourage bleeding).  It would more resemble a needle than an actual arrow.  That considered, it would slice through the air amazingly well.

The issue then, is energy.  We know that a bow will contain a certain amount of energy when fired.  If it's firing a wooden rod, then it will fire the rod.  If it's firing a metal rod that's 2x the weight of wood, then it will take 2x the energy to achieve momentum and thus fly like half as fast.  By contrast, if you make a carbon fiber arrow, then it might be 1/2 the weight, requiring 1/2 the energy to move and flying 2x as fast.  Of course in practice it's not so clean cut, but the idea is solid.  A given force upon a lighter object will propel the object further and faster.

In effect, an adamantine arrow would act more like the crossbow from Half-Life 2, it'll penetrate just about anything because it will fly at ridiculous speeds.  It would need a needle point and a VERY slow taper to penetrate, because it would have rather poor "punch" but an amazing edge.  If any of its penetrative power were converted into blunt contact, it would drain its energy pretty fast, but as long as it's achieving clean punctures then not much would be able to stop it.

"The flying ☼Adamantine Bolt☼ strikes the goblin in the head, shattering the skull and ripping the brain, passing clear through the other side!"

Of course in DF, projectiles are blunt damage, so none of this matters in gameplay.

Your adamantine needle is still made of a material that weighs 200g/m3, so it will weigh almost nothing, and wind drag will still stop it very quickly. The faster something moves, the more drag it has pushing back against it. So a very light projectile just doesn't go very far, regardless of what it's made of. Nor will it hit very hard. That's why they use depleted uranium instead of aluminum in anti-tank rounds.

And you can't make a projectile from a bow (or crossbow) go any faster than you can make the bowstring move, no matter how light the projectile is. So halving the weight won't really double the speed. It's asymptotic, where the limit is the speed of the string with no projectile.

A needle-like arrow wouldn't be that great for doing damage. Oh, a headshot might be effective, but the main killing method of a projectile, whether an arrow or a bullet, is blood loss. That's why large caliber hollow point bullets are far more effective than small caliber solid rounds. Sure, James Bond could get by with a purse gun like a Beretta 418 with a 6.35mm round. He always hit exactly where he wanted to. But mere mortals are better off with a 10mm that will open a nice big wound channel and make the target bleed out, even from a hit in a non-vital area. A high speed knitting needle would just make a little puncture that would seal itself right up if it didn't puncture anything critical. Even a headshot wouldn't be a sure thing with a needle. There are lots of documented cases of people surviving having rod-like objects punch through their brains, such as Phineas Gage. If your arrow is going to drive the skull through the brain, it's going to have to transmit significant momentum into the skull, and a cork knitting needle (no matter how rigid) wouldn't have enough momentum.

Even a very slow taper requires splitting the skull apart, which requires applying force, which an adamantine projectile just won't be able to do.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36