Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36

Author Topic: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks  (Read 201972 times)

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Could an adamantine battle axe really kill?
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2012, 01:30:54 pm »

Wait a minute...
Adamantine:

- can be sharpened to a perfect edge which never dulls, but blades made of it can become stuck in bodies

They can? Do we know this?
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2012, 01:32:04 pm »

Wait a minute...
Adamantine:

- can be sharpened to a perfect edge which never dulls, but blades made of it can become stuck in bodies

Combat logs?
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2012, 01:32:36 pm »

Wait a minute...
Adamantine:

Arena testing would confirm it, but I'm almost certain it's possible.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2012, 01:34:14 pm »

having said that dwarfs would know there stuff about blades so would use the correct cutting edge based on what maternal they where using.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2012, 01:34:44 pm »

Basically, I think that's more dwarven ingenuity then fantasyium. Dwarves are the only races who know about it, so it would make sense that they would eventually figure out a way to mine it. Maybe it's a special way of mining, forging, sticking into people... But, we'd have to ask the dwarves if we wanted a definite answer.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2012, 01:39:22 pm »

I always figured given the way adamantine is mined and processed that it's a lot of monofilament threads embedded in rocks. You mine them by mining out the rock around the threads, basically. Heat up the threads and press them into a felt sort of thing(wafers). Then heat up the wafers and press them into sword shapes. Because they're made of monofilaments, crazy cutting power. Because they're mostly empty space, super light!

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2012, 01:40:19 pm »

This metal is silly and beyond quality.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2012, 01:43:14 pm »

and now we move on to slade war hammers.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2012, 01:44:37 pm »

:-\
After doing a bit of research I found out something horrible for this science. The impact fracture of adamantite is only twice that of steel. Meaning only twice the force needed (I think) to shatter it.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2012, 01:52:00 pm »

- snip -
having said that dwarfs would know there stuff about blades so would use the correct cutting edge based on what maternal they where using.
Are you sure you didn't mean to post that in the "obsidian blades" thread?  Though both seem to be similar.

Anyway, a little bit of raw exploring has revealed that adamantine can form edges five times as sharp as those of obsidian.  Now, I'm not entirely sure how DF defines sharpness, but obsidian is bordering on the physical limits of sharpness.  I vaguely remember reading somewhere that obsidian blades can get to a single molecule thick.  How something can be five times as sharp as that is baffling, but I like to think adamantine somehow has an edge that can pierce the quantum foam.  It reminds me of Death's scythe from the Discworld books.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2012, 02:05:10 pm »

It IS...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2012, 02:16:43 pm »

I figure the reason that Adamant can be 5 times sharper than something the size of a molecule is that the Addy molecule is 5 times smaller than an Obsi one. (Just my little thought on that)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2012, 02:34:11 pm »

Can an adamantine blade cut a slade block?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2012, 02:38:15 pm »

So, not only is it not a metal, it also defies its own properties at seemingly arbitrary times.  Clearly, we cannot hope to apply physics to this literally fantastic material.
That said, let's apply physics to it some more!

Sig'd

On a serious note, thats why only dwarves have adamantite axes, humans might be able to mine it, dwarves use their beards to influence the adamantite to change form. A dwarves beard is specialized in his job, therefore a legendary miner has a much better mining beard then a legendary weaponsmith, who has a beard that influences metals to make armor much more.

This also explains why dwarves can have a city on just a soap pillar, the beard of the soapmaking dwarf causes the soap to become rigid.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2012, 02:41:01 pm »

But, we'd have to ask the dwarves if we wanted a definite answer.

Okay. Who wants to sacrifice himself for !!science!!?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36