Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 36

Author Topic: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks  (Read 202079 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks
« Reply #480 on: July 02, 2012, 04:57:30 pm »

Tonight, on DwarfGear!

Urist slams a +lead minecart+ into some trees!
Cog powerslides the new *adamantine minecart*!
And Kadol is the star in our reasonably priced minecart!
That reminds me, what happened to the world-destroying experiment? the one with adamantine carts filled with slade?
Oh yeah, and whenever i see "topgear", I read "topGun" which would be a far more intereseting dwarven show. Dwarves on minecarts shooting crossbows?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:59:39 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 02, 2012, 05:01:05 pm »

Dwarf Top Gun would be basically building rails to the edges of cliffs and putting a dwarf with a crossbow on one, then starting up the minecart.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 02, 2012, 05:02:23 pm »

Dwarf Top Gun would be basically building rails to the edges of cliffs and putting a dwarf with a crossbow on one, then starting up the minecart.
This is SCIENCE on militarization methods of minecarts ;D
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 02, 2012, 05:05:17 pm »

sigging that. Also, I'm going try the hell out of that.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 02, 2012, 05:08:48 pm »

sigging that. Also, I'm going try the hell out of that.
I saw some work done with this in the how does minecart thread.  I think.
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 02, 2012, 05:10:52 pm »

If you use a legendary crossbower and aim it at a goblin siege outside your wall, well... It would be interesting, to say the least.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 02, 2012, 05:11:46 pm »

If you use a legendary crossbower and aim it at a goblin siege outside your wall, well... It would be interesting, to say the least.

Drive-by?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 02, 2012, 05:14:01 pm »

More like a combination paratroop drop and bombing run if the minecart catches air.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 02, 2012, 05:14:50 pm »

BACK ON TOPIC

Adamantine would be terrible as a building material.  It doesn't flex or absorb motion at all, so any structure of significant height would be snapped by wind or earthquakes or whatever.  Slade might be a bit better, if only because of its huge density, but then there's the problem of it not being able to support its own weight if the structure grew too large.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 02, 2012, 05:16:39 pm »

BACK ON TOPIC

Adamantine would be terrible as a building material.  It doesn't flex or absorb motion at all, so any structure of significant height would be snapped by wind or earthquakes or whatever.  Slade might be a bit better, if only because of its huge density, but then there's the problem of it not being able to support its own weight if the structure grew too large.
It would snap if it received enough energy.  Placing adamantine strands in steel beams would greatly increase their strength and allow for some flex.
[DWARFINEERING]

kujpat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf in a +Red Dress+
    • View Profile
    • Some Guy Called Cody
« Reply #490 on: July 02, 2012, 05:30:10 pm »

Okay okay okay, so can Crossbowmen fire from moving minecarts?

I haven't started experimenting or using minecarts yet, but this may just be a game changer - the idea of patrolling carriages firing bolts is of great interest to me (a good way of setting up a n automatic perimeter defense system)
You can now continue to scour the landscape, defile the depths of the earth, and ruthlessly murder the creatures of the world knowing you've done your part for the environment.

Fallenworldful

• Bay Watcher
  • The Expert !!Newb!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 02, 2012, 08:42:36 pm »

Very. :D

I have an image of a line of carts suddenly flashing past a goblin, discharging bolts as they do so. Goblin boltcushion!
The Vile Force of Darkness strikes Fallenworldful's Fortress, jamming the skull through the brain!

Fallenworldful's Fortress has been knocked unconscious!

Fallenworldful's Fortress has been struck down.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 02, 2012, 10:50:12 pm »

While we're on the subject of Dwarven Top Gear, let's examine the feasibility of adamantine cars.

This subject was touched upon a earlier in this thread, but never really explored as it was deemed that the car would be so light it would simply float away. As we know, adamantine has about the same density as cork (around 200kg/m^3, if memory serves). To put this into perspective, the density of carbon fiber is 1780kg/m^3. This would make the prospect of keeping the car on the road very daunting indeed, as you could not allow for any lift whatsoever. But in addy's favor, here's another morsel: the density of fibreglass is around 500kg/m^3. Now that's reasonably near addy's density, so a car designed like, say, an Ariel Atom or a Caterham should do fine. This is because almost all of the weight is the engine; there's very little in the way of bodywork. But at the same time, this rules out addy cars as everyday vehicles.

The only real solution is to do what Pagani did to make carbotanium, and weave the adamantine with another, heavier material (incidentally, other people in this thread have suggested the same thing). This would be possible with today's tech, but it would be extremely cost-prohibitive. So you wouldn't expect to see very many baby blue Accords and Altimas running around.

Another, more research-intensive solution would be to design an entirely new type of car from the ground-up. As we've established, adamantine can be sharpened to a point so fine that it can casually cut through air. So, what you could do is have a car which isn't affect by either lift or downforce. This is entirely implausible if only because it would never, EVER be allowed on the road. Why wouldn't be on the road? Because it's too dwarven.

The final --and by far the largest-- nail in the coffin for the addy car is safety. As we've established over the course of this thread, adamantine has the potential to chip apart into super sharp shards if struck with another piece of adamantine. And it's also been established that adamantine would have no "cushoning" effect in an impact. So imagine two cars going let's say 50 mph. One is going north, the other is going south. South swerves to hit a duck, and accidentally hits north. As most of you know, cars today are built with crumplezones designed to direct energy away from the cabin during a collision.

An adamantine car can't to that. If you get into a crash, you will be killed. End of story.

I apologize for the wall of text, so here's the tl;dr version: An addy car would be expensive to build, expensive to design, ludicrously unsafe by any standard, and far too expensive to research.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 02, 2012, 10:54:34 pm »

No, the tl;dr I got from that was:
An addy car would be a shrapnel bomb that can casually cut through the air. So, if you're plowing over goblins, you'd end up slicing them to pieces like you were driving a car with daggers mounted all over it. But if you hit a soldier in addy plate, your car would shatter violently into super sharp, incredibly dangerous shards of adamantine. Going fifty mile an hour.
Grand Theft Auto would be a much more interesting game if the cars were made of adamantine...
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 02, 2012, 10:57:59 pm »

No, the tl;dr I got from that was:
An addy car would be a shrapnel bomb that can casually cut through the air. So, if you're plowing over goblins, you'd end up slicing them to pieces like you were driving a car with daggers mounted all over it. But if you hit a soldier in addy plate, your car would shatter violently into super sharp, incredibly dangerous shards of adamantine. Going fifty mile an hour.
Grand Theft Auto would be a much more interesting game if the cars were made of adamantine...

Basically, yeah.

I really need to learn how to make things sound more interesting  :P
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 36