Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36

Author Topic: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks  (Read 200943 times)

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Could an adamantine battle axe really kill?
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2012, 01:23:54 am »

Look up the numbers for Adamantine and tell me that they're not dummy values. Forget those for a moment and just think 'light metal that holds an incredible edge'.

The current Adamantine will eventually get replaced by a more realistic metal. (I hope)

JJtoocool

• Bay Watcher
  • Unfortunate Accident: ∞
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2012, 08:02:40 am »

I always imagined the Dwarves unleashing the full potential of Adamantine. A sword is four inches wide two feet long and one atom thick. At that point your only cutting the individual molecular bonds of whatever you hit anyway, there isn't much (Anything at all actually) you couldn't cut with one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
I heard that I died.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
It was inevitable.
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
Goodbye.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
Goodbye.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2012, 08:49:28 am »

Look up the numbers for Adamantine and tell me that they're not dummy values. Forget those for a moment and just think 'light metal that holds an incredible edge'.

The current Adamantine will eventually get replaced by a more realistic metal. (I hope)
Yeah because DF is so much about realism.
Anyhoo the other day I was fighting off a hydra using a squad of dwarves weilding weapons made of magical blue metal when a necromancer turned up but it was fine because my vampire killed him and then it began to rain zombie making acid.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2012, 09:32:05 am »

Lol ^

Sao how do dwarves make something one atom thick? Armok Blessbathe you in blood if you do

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2012, 09:43:10 am »

Well, dwarves already know how to atom smash.  It's just a matter of smashing n-1 atoms now!  Coincidentally, since the forge contains no bridges to speak up, it can be presumed that they use their face.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2012, 09:52:05 am »

So not lighter than air, but it would float in water. Interesting.

In fact, 200 kg/cm^3 is about the same density as cork.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2012, 09:53:07 am »

I was thinking about this. A better design for an adamantine axe might be a 2-3mm thick disc of lead covered with adamantine plating and tapered to the standard mono-atomic edge. This would give it some heft while letting it cut cleanly through most things in a single swipe without getting caught on any blocky weight in the center. Haft would be affixed to the 'bottom' of the disc (arbitrarily designated)

Would look like a bright blue lollipop from the side, and edge-on it would look like not much of anything, very small profile.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2012, 10:12:20 am »

In fact, 200 kg/m^3 is about the same density as cork.
FTFY
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2012, 10:26:44 am »

[edit]  ninja'd on some points.

Considering the Strand and Wafer thign about Addy, I imaging it to look like shining, adonised blue carbon-fibre-weave / woven steel etc. And if its sharp and strong enough, surely the blades would crackle occasionally with the afore mentioned ionisation and also the odd split atom.

Which also means that you would have to soak up a dose of radiation as you wielded Addy blades, if you're tearing into some dense material (like armor) the atoms themselves being cut apart would release (relativly) large amounts of light, heat and radiation. The smell after a battle fought with Addy weapons would be of blood, ozone and burnt metal.

And as Addy is so light, a weapon that depends on force to provide the cutting power (like a Cleaver or Axe) would need lead or platinum etc to provide the extra mass to provide momentum. Otherwise it would be like tryin to beat someone to death with a cardboard tube.

Addy whips and scourges would appear to go straight through an opponent, half a second before they just fell apart.

Someone needs to mod in *Laqured Bamboo Armor* and -Adamantine Katana-

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2012, 10:37:52 am »

In fact, 200 kg/m^3 is about the same density as cork.
FTFY
I think they meant SLADE cork.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2012, 11:20:58 am »

Lol ^

Sao how do dwarves make something one atom thick? Armok Blessbathe you in blood if you do

I assume that is what the mini-forges are for!

Ivir_Baggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2012, 12:27:18 pm »

So can someone summarise the research made in this? It's too much for me to understand.
Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 14, 2012, 12:30:25 pm »

The edge of an adamantine blade is so thin that it's actually impossible to see.  The edge on a typical adamantine sword extends a good half-centimeter beyond the visible portion of the blade.  Of course, because it's so sharp, it actually slices through light spectra, so its edge is surrounded by a faint rainbow glow at all times, which intensifies when it's swung.  It actually has metaphorical sharpness, and a sharp wit to boot. 
Damn, now i have to draw this.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2012, 12:34:10 pm »

Lol ^

I already explained that dwarves influence the metal (or whatever it is) using their beards.
Its like elves talk to trees, only more awesome.

EDIT:
here it iz.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2012, 02:03:17 pm »

So can someone summarise the research made in this? It's too much for me to understand.
Soo... this is our findings so far:

Adamantine can kill.
Armour forged from it makes you look like an easter bunny.
Adamantine cannot form a blade wholly monomolecular.
The extreme edges of it ionizes the air around it, devastating anything struck.
It does not bend.
The only way to manipulate it is with dwarven psionic.

Not completely what I expected creating the thread, but a thousand times more awesome. :D
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36