Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36

Author Topic: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks  (Read 200918 times)

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks
« on: March 13, 2012, 01:48:45 am »

After reading an old thread, I wanted to deduce if the physical properties of adamantine really allows it to penetrate steel and cleave someone in half. Here are some facts:

Battle axe size = 800
Material density = 0.2g/cm^3
It is almost impossible to shatter it.
It is perfectly rigid.
It has a monomolecular/atomic edge, which basically means with enough force it can cleave mostly anything.
Adamantine battle axe weight = 160g (unless I am mistaken by the axe size)

Would it really be possible to swing a 160g giant axe and cleave someone in half, even with that edge?

Edit: Thread link:http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=89241.msg2456668#msg2456668
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 05:28:37 am by Blizzlord »
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
Re: Could an adamantine battle axe really kill?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 02:18:33 am »

According to an old thread about this sort of deal, An adamantine sword could cut through stone under it's own weight without being dropped, so I'll go with yes.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 02:26:57 am »

As I recall, one of the problems with edges like that is that they get gummed up [and thus 'dull'] really easily under actual use. This was in the context of surgery on viruses with a diamond-tipped scalpel, but I'm willing to bet it holds true here.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 03:07:01 am »

adamantine, the only material that can be honed to an edge so fine it can cut light, cleave steel like butter, and sever heads with the enthusiasm of a deranged bloodthirsty child.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 03:08:11 am »

As I recall, one of the problems with edges like that is that they get gummed up [and thus 'dull'] really easily under actual use. This was in the context of surgery on viruses with a diamond-tipped scalpel, but I'm willing to bet it holds true here.
Ah, but adamantine is also super-rigid!

Basically, it's magicium.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 04:05:54 am »

adamantine, the only material that can be honed to an edge so fine it can cut light, cleave steel like butter, and sever heads with the enthusiasm of a deranged bloodthirsty child.
thinkin bout siggin this if no one else takes it first.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 06:48:18 am »

adamantine is so rigid it doesn't lose sharpness
so sharp it can cut through quite literally anything with complete ease.
Theoretically this battleaxe could cut through the foundation of a building without making the owner break out in a sweat.

So I don't think cleaving someone in two is a problem
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 07:58:47 am by zehive »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 08:54:18 am »

with a heavier weapon, you can continue applying force throughout the swing, increasing its energy and the force behind the impact.  With adamantine, its so light that the swing speed would be capped at how fast you can move your arms, giving it a maximum energy.  In every possible case, this is still enough to cleave given its sharp edge.  However, if for some reason it could not penetrate something due to its low mass, you could place the edge on the target's surface and apply direct force, simply using it as a wedge.  At that point the low density isn't a factor at all.

In terms of cutting power it would go like this.  Steel axe no swing (direct force) < Steel axe after a swing < Adamantine axe swung < Adamantine axe no swing (direct force).
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 08:59:49 am »

I can see some kind of visualisation of an Adamantine atom in my head. Every single atom in the metallic bond contains physics-bending sub-atomic particles hanging out in the nucleus. I'm willing to bet that these particles have some kind of sentience, like they know what they're doing and how to do it, making Adamantine a dynamic and versatile metal, perfect for any application.

It would be cool if Adamantine objects had souls that talked to the wielders, as well.
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 09:15:14 am »

According to an old thread about this sort of deal, An adamantine sword could cut through stone under it's own weight without being dropped, so I'll go with yes.
I got told it couldn't because it was so light but i'm sure that it is so sharp that even its own tiny weight would push it through any other material.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

Zsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 09:26:14 am »

Hmm... an adamantine atom? Let's see...

the density of Iron in dwarf fortress is 7.85, the density of Adamantium is 0.2... Adamantium is about 02.5% the density of iron.

The Atomic Mass of iron, is 55.845...

~2.5% of that is 1.422~, which is our in theory atomic mass of Adamantium... this makes  Adamantium... nearly as light as Hydrogen, bein ~.4 heavier, and ~2.6 lighter than Helium...

... damn.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 10:04:14 am »

I'm going to draw something to illustrate one of the biggest issues that an adamantine axe has.  In the meantime, please recall that adamantine has the same density as styrofoam.

Zsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 10:06:31 am »

except I'm decently sure Styrofoam is heavier than air... Adamant is lighter than Helium, which everyone, I'm, is aware of the fact that is lighter than air... meaning...

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 10:10:35 am »

Anyone wanting to know more about weapon physics needs to read this: http://www.thearma.org/spotlight/GTA/motions_and_impacts.htm. It applies specifically to swords, but the concepts can be applied to any swung weapon.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 10:12:10 am »

except I'm decently sure Styrofoam is heavier than air... Adamant is lighter than Helium, which everyone, I'm, is aware of the fact that is lighter than air... meaning...
That's... hilarious.
Now I'm imagining a dwarf in full adamantine armor, pinned to the ceiling by his outfit, calmly drinking some booze from his wineskin (I first thought he'd be panicking, but dwarves don't even care when they're on fire).  Sure, a suit probably wouldn't have the buoyancy to lift a dwarf by itself, but it's an amusing image all the same.
Now that I think about it some more, DF doesn't actually model things like buoyancy.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36