Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36

Author Topic: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks  (Read 201931 times)

olopi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Could an adamantine battle axe really kill?
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2012, 02:47:26 pm »

So, not only is it not a metal, it also defies its own properties at seemingly arbitrary times.  Clearly, we cannot hope to apply physics to this literally fantastic material.
That said, let's apply physics to it some more!

Sig'd

On a serious note, thats why only dwarves have adamantite axes, humans might be able to mine it, dwarves use their beards to influence the adamantite to change form. A dwarves beard is specialized in his job, therefore a legendary miner has a much better mining beard then a legendary weaponsmith, who has a beard that influences metals to make armor much more.

This also explains why dwarves can have a city on just a soap pillar, the beard of the soapmaking dwarf causes the soap to become rigid.

Sig'd, but really: if adamantine is THIS sharp, if you would throw it on the ground it would cut the earth in a half 0.o
Dwarves use their beards to influence the adamantite to change form. A dwarves beard is specialized in his job, therefore a legendary miner has a much better mining beard then a legendary weaponsmith, who has a beard that influences metals to make armor much more.
This also explains why dwarves can have a city on just a soap pillar, the beard of the soapmaking dwarf causes the soap to become rigid.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2012, 02:48:19 pm »

-picture-
having said that dwarfs would know there stuff about blades so would use the correct cutting edge based on what maternal they where using.
That's fine for shallow cuts, and the katana is made for just that.  Let's be honest with ourselves here, the katana was a noble's weapon used to bludgeon unruly peasants.  It can cut through leather and skin, and cause bleeding wounds that would be devastating, but it's not going to slice armor, not with that blade profile.  Rather, it will penetrate armor exactly up to the curve, at which point it has a terrible force application where your swing turns into blunt strike instead of spreading wedge.

Also, clearly, adamantine exerts a form of energy in front of it that's thinner than its molecules, making a sort of "laser blade" fractionally ahead of itself.  That's how it forms an edge that's 5x sharper than a mono-filament.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2012, 03:12:22 pm »

The edge of an adamantine blade is so thin that it's actually impossible to see.  The edge on a typical adamantine sword extends a good half-centimeter beyond the visible portion of the blade.  Of course, because it's so sharp, it actually slices through light spectra, so its edge is surrounded by a faint rainbow glow at all times, which intensifies when it's swung.  It actually has metaphorical sharpness, and a sharp wit to boot. 

It's definitely a good thing it's so light.  Were adamantine any heavier (and thus less inhibited by friction, relatively), you could drop a thread of it edge-on and it would pass straight through the world, out the other side, and then come back again.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2012, 03:22:10 pm »

So currently we've got dwarves running about bouncing in gleaming blue armor like little drunken easterbunnies waving about rainbow blades?

Adamantine is turning pretty... fabulous~

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2012, 03:24:33 pm »

So here is what I imagine they would look like:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The warhammer/mace have a omnidirectional blade (if one strand can be rigid) between the head and the handle. The flail just have a very dangerous thread with whip like qualities.

I imagine rapiers, épées/foils and other smallsword would be extremely deadly if made with this material. An épée made of addy could puncture anything. To bad it isn't in the game as far as I know.
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2012, 03:28:46 pm »

An adamantine flail or whip would have to be made of chain with a shortsword tied to the end.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2012, 03:34:32 pm »

So currently we've got dwarves running about bouncing in gleaming blue armor like little drunken easterbunnies waving about rainbow blades?

Adamantine is turning pretty... fabulous~

Ah.  Hadn't thought of that.

I hereby offer this as a cop-out:
An adamantine blade slices through the bonds between atoms in molecules in the air.  These newly liberated atoms then quickly recombine, releasing energy and light and stuff.  Basically, an adamantine sword would be perpetually on fire.  (No, I don't know where the energy comes from.  Breaking molecular bonds takes energy, which has to come from somewhere, maybe in this case the blade itself.  I guess the blade would be really cold, while at the same time wreathed in flames?)

As for armor, I don't really know how to make bright blue more impressive.  Spikes?
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2012, 03:38:39 pm »

You act like fabulous is bad...

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2012, 03:40:15 pm »

The edge of an adamantine blade is so thin that it's actually impossible to see.  The edge on a typical adamantine sword extends a good half-centimeter beyond the visible portion of the blade.  Of course, because it's so sharp, it actually slices through light spectra, so its edge is surrounded by a faint rainbow glow at all times, which intensifies when it's swung.  It actually has metaphorical sharpness, and a sharp wit to boot. 

It's definitely a good thing it's so light.  Were adamantine any heavier (and thus less inhibited by friction, relatively), you could drop a thread of it edge-on and it would pass straight through the world, out the other side, and then come back again.

Rainbow glow? Awesome :p

Wouldn't plating a lead axe with adamantine solve the problem? When toady implements that at least.....
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 02:12:59 am by drago55577 »

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2012, 04:04:28 pm »

>Light blue armor
>Rainbows

*Looks at avatar*

I'm OK with this!

Anyway, I bet that the dwarves actually hold the axes on the (wooden) blade and swing around the hilts. The adamantine is actually so powerful that it splits atoms upon contact, unleashing a nuclear explosion with every hit. Of course, the blunt weapons are rather large and unwieldy to hold by the head, making it nearly impossible for most dwarves to inflict significant damage.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2012, 04:52:45 pm »

Also, adamantine clothing is actually extraordinarily fine chainmail.  That should work even with perfectly rigid rings.  Fortunately, with all the rings spreading force out they (hopefully) shouldn't have that nasty tendency to slice through things at the slightest pressure. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2012, 06:29:38 pm »

Wouldn't the deadliest Addy melee weapon be a cat-o-nine-tails style whip; with a few dozen 1 meter long strands dangling from the end of a 2+ meter pole (so if you hold it by the 'safe' end, you're out of range of the lashing)

Shove that sucker into a goblins face with a twirling motion... and it doesn't have a face anymore.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2012, 06:54:56 pm »

Wouldn't the deadliest Addy melee weapon be a cat-o-nine-tails style whip; with a few dozen 1 meter long strands dangling from the end of a 2+ meter pole (so if you hold it by the 'safe' end, you're out of range of the lashing)

Shove that sucker into a goblins face with a twirling motion... and it doesn't have a face anymore.

Well, you'd need to weight the strands somehow.  Then there's the fact that adamantine can't bend.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

PeanutBuddha

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2012, 07:00:51 pm »

"And thus did the dwarves of AzureMetals, The Filaments of Catastrophe, invent the first Dwarven Paintbrush. And with it, painted a mural to Armok."
...it basically allows the dwarf to become immune to all weapons and dance around blades like a drunken, steel-plated ballerina who's caving in skulls.  It's glorious.
That pony game is terrible, My pony couldn't even Kick other ponies in the head, tearing a tendon and jamming the skull through the brain :"(

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2012, 07:29:08 pm »

Dwarves invent new weapon!  Goblin sieges decline rapidly!  Elves expected extinct within the decade!

Behold your newest killing device!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36