Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 36

Author Topic: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks  (Read 200947 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: Could an adamantine battle axe really kill?
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2012, 07:32:22 pm »

That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2012, 08:17:29 pm »

Dwarves invent new weapon!  Goblin sieges decline rapidly!  Elves expected extinct within the decade!

Behold your newest killing device!

All you have to do is add it to the "rahs".
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2012, 08:49:13 pm »

Warning engineering content:

A 36" long 44W steel bar, with a 1"x1/16" cross-section, is mounted as a simple cantilever. This is a first approximation of a rather thin sword. This bar will start to yield (permanently bend) when bent in the weaker direction by a 1 lb load at the tip. This sword would suck if it were made of steel.

The same sword, made of adamantine, and mounted in the same conditions, could support an 18 lb load at the tip. This is based off the adamantine strength values from the raws. The steel sword bends elastically, but the adamantine sword doesn't move when the load is applied. Increase the load to 20-25 lbs, and the adamantine sword shatters (still without bending!)

The point is that you can't make paper-thin adamantine swords according to the current raws - there is a minimum thickness to prevent blade breakage. Absurdly sharp edges are still possible. Also, swords aren't usually swung in the flat direction, so the swords can handle higher cutting loads than I have shown above.

An adamantine edge might glow blue because it is casually chopping diatomic oxygen and nitrogen molecules (from the air) in half. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionized-air_glow

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2012, 08:53:44 pm »

Urist Da Vinci, have you ever examined slade as in depth as adamantine? If you have I'd love to read it, you have no idea how interesting your facts are.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2012, 09:09:50 pm »

I think the only thing worth note about slade is that it's denser than a neutron star (I think that's not an exaggeration).  Adamantine is much more interesting due to its lack of yield, high strength, and low density.

We've determined that when your miner uncovers a spire of adamantine, that he will hear something akin to a large truck engine, as the magma sea flowing past the spire is transferred through the metal according to its unusual properties.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2012, 09:15:55 pm »

Wouldn't the deadliest Addy melee weapon be a cat-o-nine-tails style whip; with a few dozen 1 meter long strands dangling from the end of a 2+ meter pole (so if you hold it by the 'safe' end, you're out of range of the lashing)

Shove that sucker into a goblins face with a twirling motion... and it doesn't have a face anymore.

An adamantine shield is up there as well; the edge would be able to cleave through just about anything and, from what I understand, even the flat surface would still be able to scratch things up something fierce.

When Captain Urist throws his mighty shield,
All who oppose his shield must yield.

If they try and fight, it's a waste,
that shield'll turn them into paste.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2012, 09:57:18 pm »

Urist Da Vinci, have you ever examined slade as in depth as adamantine? If you have I'd love to read it, you have no idea how interesting your facts are.

OK,

- Slade is 200x denser than water. The density is close to that of the core of the sun, but far, far, less than that of a neutron star.

- The force of gravity between a dwarf and a 14000 kg slade boulder would be insignificant. However, the force of gravity between a dwarf and large underground deposits of slade is strong enough to be felt. The force is on the order of the weight of a paperclip or dime. It varies depending on how much is down there.

- Slade has similar strength to adamantine, but it actually yields and deforms at about 80% of adamantine's strength. As such, you could gouge or cut slade only with adamantine. If it was mineable, it should only be with addy picks. Given the density, no mortal arm is strong enough to swing a styrofoam pick fast enough to cause any significant damage to it.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2012, 10:12:32 pm »

Actually, would an addy pick even work that well?  Wouldn't it just sort of sink into the rock and get stuck there?  I think addy picks would have to be designed and used differently than regular ones.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2012, 10:15:16 pm »

Probably look more like a shovel or hoe.  The blade jams in, and then you crowbar the material out.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2012, 10:23:26 pm »

While the mohs hardness is there, the kinetic energy needed to deform the slade is not.

Adamantine pick will scratch, and leave an impact line, and otherwise bounce off.

Adamantine coated steel pick however..... 

(More efficient would be an adamantine coated coal ripper, which could harvest slade powder for smithing....)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:26:04 pm by wierd »

Amallar

• Bay Watcher
  • Just turn 360 degrees and walk away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2012, 11:26:20 pm »

There is another interesting explanation for adamantine.

A material as dense as slade would fold space-time and create significant amounts of micro-singularities in the proximity of such slade. Micro-singularities would distort materials into exotic forms that would normally be impossible as following standard physics. Indeed, adamantine's unusual molecular properties attest to this; only in the absence of physics would they be possible. Adamantine's lack of conductivity would not deprive it of thermal energy; rather, it would merely maintain the thermal level of the environment in which it was created. This explains the ripple effect exerted by adamantine edges; it is, indeed, thermal imbalances that are being observed in the presence of kinetic motion and the friction that is inherent therein. ***LIGHTSABER***

Adamantine is workable by dwarves because dwarves are actually capable of psionic molecular compression and decompression. It is why they are able to mine so quickly, and smith in the absence of most necessary tools. Dwarven master crafters/miners are those that have trained their psychic abilities in the manipulation of certain materials, and can thus effectively distort them more effectively in the extant of their chosen fields. Dwarven martial trances are extensions of this, as applied to combat; they achieve states of supreme meditation, and thus excel temporarily in the usage of the psionic distortion fields as applied to combat. Booze is the primary catalyst of dwarven psionics; they use its hallucinogenic effects as a focus for their powers, and have developed addiction of various degrees to it. Dwarves that do not have access to alcohol become less productive, as is to be expected with the lack of a psionic focus (and withdrawal). To get back on topic, though; dwarves use these abilities to manipulate virtually any material (except slade, because it's extreme density renders it beyond the capability of manipulation). It is why they alone are capable of utilising adamantine; they temporarily "bend" it on the quantum level to a state that they can mine and use, before it reverts back to its normal (and impossible) state.

The psionic dwarves theory also explains the unusual dynamics of artifacts and their creation.

In fact, psionics makes too much sense in an incredible synapse of many normally impossible actions that are observed in DF.

But if you get the gist of what I'm saying; yes, dwarves that wield adamantine are medieval Jedi.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 11:28:34 pm by Amallar »
Daily Blurb

Efficiency and esotericism are the true facets of alignment; not good and evil, for both good and evil are subjective. Good and evil are simply chaos -- and order is their absence.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2012, 11:47:53 pm »

I would think that mining with adamantite would be done with a tool similar to a hacksaw; you aren't breaking rock and ore into chunks, you're slicing it off like you would use cheese wire.

Wait, if swinging an adamantite weapon causes the air to glow, and adamantite has strange, sometimes contradictory properties... Gaiz I figured it out, adamantite is really Gundamium.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2012, 12:05:22 am »

OK,

- Slade is 200x denser than water. The density is close to that of the core of the sun, but far, far, less than that of a neutron star.
So a 10dm3 block of slade would weigh about 200 pounds? The only use I can think of for slade would be radiation shielding.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2012, 12:25:04 am »

Soo... this is our findings so far:

Adamantine can kill.
Armour forged from it makes you look like an easter bunny.
Adamantine cannot form a blade wholly monomolecular.
The extreme edges of it ionizes the air around it, devastating anything struck.
It does not bend.
The only way to manipulate it is with dwarven psionic.

Not completely what I expected creating the thread, but a thousand times more awesome. :D
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2012, 12:36:45 am »

Wait a minute...
Adamantine:
 - is perfectly rigid, but can be made into threads, and thus into flexible cloth
 - is completely impossible to break, but can be mined by even the most inexperienced dwarf wielding a no-quality copper pick
 - is a terrible conductor of heat
 - can be sharpened to a perfect edge which never dulls, but blades made of it can become stuck in bodies
 - melts at temperatures higher than most found on Earth, but can be forged and reforged by dwarves in an ordinary forge

So, not only is it not a metal, it also defies its own properties at seemingly arbitrary times.  Clearly, we cannot hope to apply physics to this literally fantastic material.
That said, let's apply physics to it some more!
Think again about adamantine (in form of metal) as a steel reinforced concrete.

Thread cotton holds the form of metal imbued into it, preventing breakage and other negative effects.
Finis sanctificat media.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 36