Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 36

Author Topic: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks  (Read 202093 times)

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Science and physics quirks
« Reply #420 on: June 30, 2012, 11:06:18 am »

Tried again to fire two slade filled minecarts at each other.

One went down the wrong rail (no clue how), fell into my autoshotgun system, and slaughtered half my fortress when a ghost pulled the lever. (note: Autoshotgun was positioned inside the dining hall for whatever reason.)

Third try- BOOM! wall collapse, blocks the tracks and destroys the ADAMANTINE minecarts.

Fourth- The carts impact-

The computer dies.
THE COMPUTER DIES.
WHY. :'(

Certainly Toady anticipated someone will do that. And the outcome of that crash is glorious. Though I'd wait until quantum computing becomes widespread before attempting to learn what happens.

I believe that we may have discovered how Armok was born.
FTFY.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 30, 2012, 12:54:17 pm »

Tried again to fire two slade filled minecarts at each other.

One went down the wrong rail (no clue how), fell into my autoshotgun system, and slaughtered half my fortress when a ghost pulled the lever. (note: Autoshotgun was positioned inside the dining hall for whatever reason.)

Third try- BOOM! wall collapse, blocks the tracks and destroys the ADAMANTINE minecarts.

Fourth- The carts impact-

The computer dies.
THE COMPUTER DIES.
WHY. :'(

I tell you, It's exactly like what some scientists say happens if you try to go back in time and kill your grandparents (or youu parents, or your self, or just prevent the time machine from being used). The gun jams, or you miss, or your arrested, or you have a change of heart. The universe wont allow it to happen. That said, do it again
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 30, 2012, 01:31:32 pm »

I tell you, It's exactly like what some scientists say happens if you try to go back in time and kill your grandparents (or youu parents, or your self, or just prevent the time machine from being used). The gun jams, or you miss, or your arrested, or you have a change of heart. The universe wont allow it to happen. That said, do it again

Yup, this does seem like what is happening. Another example is firing a billiard ball into a wormhole. The ball phisically cannot enter the wormhole in a way that it will exit, collide with itself before it enters and cause it to miss the wormhole.

We may never know what happens when slade filled, adamantine minecarts collide. As doing so would break reality, causing a "dont cross the streams" universe ending paradox with the potental to destroy the irl universe and end in ULTIMATE !!FUN!!. Therefore we are obligated to try again!

The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 30, 2012, 02:58:42 pm »

So wait, DF physically will not allow you to complete this experiment?  That means we're on to something!  FULL STEAM AHEAD!
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 30, 2012, 03:16:13 pm »

If you could ever stop the game from crashing after impact, you might just find a crater where your science room fortress embark tile continent world computer used to be...
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Fallenworldful

• Bay Watcher
  • The Expert !!Newb!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 30, 2012, 03:53:44 pm »

Tried it three more times.

First attempt, hit a dwarf, causing another to tantrum and destroy part of the track. Boom, slade goes flying and massacres my livestock.

Second- accidentally breach seawall while trying to recover more slade, spill magma and seal off slade mining shaft. delay, delay, then use the wrong minecart. Game crashes, save scum.

Third. almost hit, then the game crashes. When I re-open it, my fortress was... gone. The entire region file was missing from my DF folder.

Something's going on with my computer. I don't feel like trying to do this again, just incase it's something with the game and ends up doing any bad stuff.
Someone else want to give it a try?
The Vile Force of Darkness strikes Fallenworldful's Fortress, jamming the skull through the brain!

Fallenworldful's Fortress has been knocked unconscious!

Fallenworldful's Fortress has been struck down.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 30, 2012, 03:56:54 pm »

With all the havoc it's wreaked on your computer, I'm not touching this experiment with a barge pole.  Sorry.
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 30, 2012, 08:55:37 pm »

i can't believe that that this is so hard on your computers. it's like the game doesn't want us to know!
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 01, 2012, 05:28:00 am »

This thread is now officially derailed onto slade science. Instead of rerailing it, let's make new rails under the thread and make slade science part of the Fun!
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Fallenworldful

• Bay Watcher
  • The Expert !!Newb!!
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks
« Reply #429 on: July 01, 2012, 11:22:14 am »

I have learned flying slade can kill Clowns. I also caused a Clown car to collapse (are they supposed to do that?)
So, if Clowns created slade, why would they make it so that they can be killed by their own stuff?

This is all obtained with the SMR breaching method on the wiki.
The Vile Force of Darkness strikes Fallenworldful's Fortress, jamming the skull through the brain!

Fallenworldful's Fortress has been knocked unconscious!

Fallenworldful's Fortress has been struck down.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 01, 2012, 11:45:47 am »

I would just like to say that this thread is awesome. 
But the middle of it has too many made up words. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 01, 2012, 12:51:12 pm »

Yes, it does.  We didn't make them up, though.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 01, 2012, 02:32:43 pm »

I have learned flying slade can kill Clowns. I also caused a Clown car to collapse (are they supposed to do that?)
So, if Clowns created slade, why would they make it so that they can be killed by their own stuff?
I wonder the same thing about humans a lot.
The difference is, demons didn't INTEND for slade to be weaponised. If it was them, and not, say, the gods, who made the slade at all.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 01, 2012, 03:52:57 pm »

Slade, collapses? well, that doesn't actually surprise.

I dont think anyone making the worlds thought to prevent slade from being able to kill demons, as there should not be a circumstance where that question should arise. We have proven their folly.. We haved weaponized the actual foundations of hell . This is a great day for
!!SCIENCE!!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 01, 2012, 04:34:10 pm »

right, now to try it using HAAAX!
step 1: arrange the setup as it was, but fill the carts with something besides slade to save time.
step 2: make OVER 9000 backup files, at least one in a seperate drive from the rest of the computer. (jk, but still, make backups.)
step 3: take the active save's raws, and change ythe material in the carts to something functionally identical to slade.
step 4: run the test.

you can repeat this, and it's a good way to get easy slade*. of course, it's not very dwearvenly, which is why you should

DISREGARD THIS POST AND TRY AGAIN! AAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 36