Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Color coded uniforms?  (Read 889 times)

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Color coded uniforms?
« on: March 14, 2012, 02:21:12 pm »

Before someone gets upset I did some searching both here and on the wiki for more info on this and didn't find any relevant topics.

I've played DF for a good while now but for some odd reason didn't notice that you could color code army uniforms.  I've never really dinked around with clothing or dyes, but before I step into all this, is there a visual distinction between color coded dwarfs or is this just something for RP-focused players? i.e. do my red cloaked dwarfs look red or are they just wearing items that are labeled "red?"

Also, if I'm using a different tileset like Ironhand or Mayday, will there still be a visual distinction?

Thanks for the help.  Yes, I realize this is a noob question. 
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Color coded uniforms?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 02:24:17 pm »

They're just wearing items labeled 'red'. The only real use for color-coding is deciding things down to the last detail, which is fun but not visible in a brief glance at the dwarf's icon.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 02:27:10 pm »

It's not visible, no, but can be entertaining if you're into that sort of thing.

Although, I noticed that the colors are for a wide array of colors, and finding the actual colors produced by dyes is a bit tricky.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 02:29:31 pm »

Thanks that's what I figured.

Ah well.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.